NATION

PASSWORD

[On Hold] Speak For Yourself!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

[On Hold] Speak For Yourself!

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:57 am

Surprisingly, the World Assembly has formally requested for you to address the body in a large session next month. No specific topic has been requested, and with the eyes and ears of the world firmly on you this may be an opportunity.

validity: all

[option] "E-everyone's going to be looking!" whimpers your anxiety-stricken assistant @@RANDOMNAME@@, forgetting that @@HE@@ is not going to be the one talking. "So many kings, prime ministers, chancellors, and presidents, and a war's only one bad word away! Oh, oh, I gotta talk about something uncontroversial and vaguely important... like the environment! Yeah, nobody can yell at me for that."
[effect] World Assembly speech #@@POPULATION@@ on saving the planet was considered better than usual

[option validity: must be a democracy] "What do you mean, not take a stand?!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a political street campaigner whose cause changes every week. "This is a unique chance to denounce those dirty dictators who dare to trample on human rights and oppress their citizens! Call them out on their game, right in the assembly. That'll show 'em."
[effect] tyrants yawn as @@LEADER@@ reminds them of their atrocities

[option validity: must be an autocracy] "What do you mean, not take a stand?!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a police officer who's just back from a hard's day work beating up dissidents. "This is a unique chance to denounce the degenerate democracies who allow all manner of disgusting 'human rights' and letting untrained idiots have any say in running the country. Call them our on their game, right in the assembly. That'll show 'em."
[effect] elected representatives yawn as @@LEADER@@ reminds them of their electorates' idiocy

[option validity: must be in the World Assembly] "This is the result of our diplomatic success," announces @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Being In The WA. "Our membership in the organisation has at long last been recognised as the critical social and international good that it is! This is a good time to remind the body of the nation's achievements, and our continuing commitment to the important role we hope to play in the future."
[effect] @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ are known for their gratitude

[option validity: must not be in the World Assembly] "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA," hysterically laughs @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Staying The Heck Away From The WA. "Those sad lapdogs have finally realised that their glorious body can only function with our input... and let's rub that in their faces! Let's throw our heads back and laugh at how ineffectual they are. Ready? Ready! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"
[effect] World Assembly workers pray for @@NAME@@ to collapse into civil war

[option] "Darling, don't think of this as a chance for boring politics. This is our time to shine!" exclaims Matt Aton, a star celebrity, while inexplicably administering an electric shock to you. "Specifically, remind them how wonderful a country @@NAME@@ is! Tell them of our fabulous foods, sights and culture - including my show - and bask in their awe! They'll be flocking to us in no time."
[effect] foreign diplomats carry tourism brochures to understand @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ politicians' speeches

[option] As Matt Aton walks away, citing 'low battery', you find yourself alone. In silence. There's something peaceful -pleasant even- in this tranquility. Maybe that's what the world needs? Less noise...
[effect] the crickets speak for the nation's leadership
Last edited by Chan Island on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Estados Centroamericanos
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Estados Centroamericanos » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:00 am

Chan Island wrote:[effect] diplomats carrying tourism brochures with them

That doesn't sit that well with me. Maybe it should be "[effect] foreign diplomats carry tourism brochures to @@DEMONYM@@ politician's speeches".
Last edited by Estados Centroamericanos on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
In an alternate universe where the Conservatives reformed the Central American Federation enough to make it a working country...

Put this in your sig if you know there are only 2 genders.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:14 am

Estados Centroamericanos wrote:
Chan Island wrote:[effect] diplomats carrying tourism brochures with them

That doesn't sit that well with me. Maybe it should be "[effect] foreign diplomats carry tourism brochures to @@DEMONYM@@ politician's speeches".

Implemented.
Last edited by Chan Island on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Very nice issue idea, Chan!

Now let's get to the comments.

Chan Island wrote:Surprisingly, the World Assembly has asked you to give a speech in their big session next month. No specific topic has been requested, and with the eyes and ears of the world firmly on you this might present an opportunity.

[option] "Everyone's going to be looking!" Whimpers an anxiety-stricken @@RANDOMNAME@@, forgetting that @@HE@@ is not going to be the one talking. "So many kings, prime ministers, chancellors and presidents, with a war only one bad word away! Oh, oh, I gotta talk about something uncontroversial and vaguely important... like the environment. Yeah, nobody can fault me for that."
[effect] World Assembly speech #@@POPULATION@@ on saving the planet was considered better than usual

Sooo, who is this person? Perhaps an advisor? I think it would be better if you specified who they are.

Also, why use #@@POPULATION@@? Just to get a big number there? What advantage do we get from getting a different number for every nation? I guess you could just as well write a random number there - you know, unless I am missing a joke. :p

[option validity: must be a democracy] "What do you mean, not take a stand?!" Shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a political street campaigner who's cause changes every week. "This is a unique chance to denounce the dictators who trample on human rights and oppress their populations! Call them out on their game, right in the assembly. That'll show 'em."

whose cause

[option validity: must be in the World Assembly] "This is the result of our diplomatic success," announces @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Being In The WA. "Our membership of the organisation has at long last been recognised as the important, social and international good that it is! This is a good time to remind the body of it's achievements, and our continuing commitment to the important role we hope to play in the future."
[effect] @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ are known for their gratefulness

"our membership of the organization"

-- sure, you are a member OF the organization, but should you still use the preposition 'of' when the noun in question is membership? I felt like "our membership in the organization" would sound better, but maybe I am just wrong. :p

its achievements

Also, is gratefulness a word? I thought it was gratitude.

[option] "Darling, don't think of this as a chance for boring politics. This is our time to shine," exclaims Matt Aton, a star celebrity, while explicably administering an electric shock to you. "Specifically, remind them how wonderful a country @@NAME@@ is! Tell them of our fabulous foods, sights and culture -including my show- and bask!"
[effect] foreign diplomats carry tourism brochures to @@DEMONYM@@ politician's speeches

I am guessing it's politicians'
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:38 pm

Chan Island wrote:[option] "Everyone's going to be looking!" Whimpers an anxiety-stricken @@RANDOMNAME@@, forgetting that @@HE@@ is not going to be the one talking. "So many kings, prime ministers, chancellors and presidents, with a war only one bad word away! Oh, oh, I gotta talk about something uncontroversial and vaguely important... like the environment. Yeah, nobody can fault me for that."
Lowercase "whimpers", add a comma after "chancellors".

Chan Island wrote:[option validity: must be a democracy] "What do you mean, not take a stand?!" Shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a political street campaigner who's cause changes every week. "This is a unique chance to denounce the dictators who trample on human rights and oppress their populations! Call them out on their game, right in the assembly. That'll show 'em."

[option validity: must be an autocracy] "What do you mean, not take a stand?!" Shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a police officer who's just back from a hard's day work beating up dissidents. "This is a unique chance to denounce the degenerate democracies who allow all manner of disgusting..."freedoms" for their people. Call them our on their game, right in the assembly. That'll show 'em."
[effect] elected representatives yawn as @@LEADER@@ reminds them of their moral depravity
Lowercase "shouts", both times. Also, the former version's "who's" should be "whose", but the latter's shouldn't. "Hard's day" should be "hard day's".

However, don't mix up political freedoms for other ones. What if I'm a tyranny by majority and am not interested in human rights? What if I'm a benevolent dictatorship and am fine with civil rights? (And "moral depravity" does imply those are the ones being talked about, rather than political freedoms.)

If you want to make an anti-democracy option, have it feature actual arguments against democracy, such as how it's letting the people with no political experience whatsoever decide how to run the country. If you want an anti-civil-rights option, make that the validity. Same goes for the pro- options.

Also consider the the WA itself is by nature a democratic institution (even if only world leaders get to vote rather than normal people), so any pro- or anti-democracy invective should probably acknowledge that.

Chan Island wrote:[option validity: must be in the World Assembly] "This is the result of our diplomatic success," announces @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Being In The WA. "Our membership of the organisation has at long last been recognised as the important, social and international good that it is! This is a good time to remind the body of it's achievements, and our continuing commitment to the important role we hope to play in the future."
Should be "its".

Also, I'd delete the comma after "important".

Chan Island wrote:[option] "Darling, don't think of this as a chance for boring politics. This is our time to shine," exclaims Matt Aton, a star celebrity, while explicably administering an electric shock to you.
"Explicably"? I'd like you to explain it, then.

Or did you mean "inexplicably"?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:45 pm

The description is worded in a jouvinial matter, as if you were giving a speach at a school
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Estados Centroamericanos
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Estados Centroamericanos » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:05 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Chan Island wrote:[option] "Everyone's going to be looking!" Whimpers an anxiety-stricken @@RANDOMNAME@@, forgetting that @@HE@@ is not going to be the one talking. "So many kings, prime ministers, chancellors and presidents, with a war only one bad word away! Oh, oh, I gotta talk about something uncontroversial and vaguely important... like the environment. Yeah, nobody can fault me for that."

Chan Island wrote:[option validity: must be a democracy] "What do you mean, not take a stand?!" Shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a political street campaigner who's cause changes every week. "This is a unique chance to denounce the dictators who trample on human rights and oppress their populations! Call them out on their game, right in the assembly. That'll show 'em."

[option validity: must be an autocracy] "What do you mean, not take a stand?!" Shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a police officer who's just back from a hard's day work beating up dissidents. "This is a unique chance to denounce the degenerate democracies who allow all manner of disgusting..."freedoms" for their people. Call them our on their game, right in the assembly. That'll show 'em."
[effect] elected representatives yawn as @@LEADER@@ reminds them of their moral depravity
Lowercase "shouts", both times. Also, the former version's "who's" should be "whose", but the latter's shouldn't. "Hard's day" should be "hard day's".

However, don't mix up political freedoms for other ones. What if I'm a tyranny by majority and am not interested in human rights? What if I'm a benevolent dictatorship and am fine with civil rights? (And "moral depravity" does imply those are the ones being talked about, rather than political freedoms.)

If you want to make an anti-democracy option, have it feature actual arguments against democracy, such as how it's letting the people with no political experience whatsoever decide how to run the country. If you want an anti-civil-rights option, make that the validity. Same goes for the pro- options.

Also consider the the WA itself is by nature a democratic institution (even if only world leaders get to vote rather than normal people), so any pro- or anti-democracy invective should probably acknowledge that.

Chan Island wrote:[option validity: must be in the World Assembly] "This is the result of our diplomatic success," announces @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Being In The WA. "Our membership of the organisation has at long last been recognised as the important, social and international good that it is! This is a good time to remind the body of it's achievements, and our continuing commitment to the important role we hope to play in the future."
Should be "its".

Chan Island wrote:[option] "Darling, don't think of this as a chance for boring politics. This is our time to shine," exclaims Matt Aton, a star celebrity, while explicably administering an electric shock to you.

I don't think that they should be lowercase. If a word comes after punctuation, be it in a quote or the end of a sentence, it should be capitalized.
In an alternate universe where the Conservatives reformed the Central American Federation enough to make it a working country...

Put this in your sig if you know there are only 2 genders.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:59 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Very nice issue idea, Chan!

Now let's get to the comments.

Chan Island wrote:Surprisingly, the World Assembly has asked you to give a speech in their big session next month. No specific topic has been requested, and with the eyes and ears of the world firmly on you this might present an opportunity.

[option] "Everyone's going to be looking!" Whimpers an anxiety-stricken @@RANDOMNAME@@, forgetting that @@HE@@ is not going to be the one talking. "So many kings, prime ministers, chancellors and presidents, with a war only one bad word away! Oh, oh, I gotta talk about something uncontroversial and vaguely important... like the environment. Yeah, nobody can fault me for that."

Sooo, who is this person? Perhaps an advisor? I think it would be better if you specified who they are.

Also, why use #@@POPULATION@@? Just to get a big number there? What advantage do we get from getting a different number for every nation? I guess you could just as well write a random number there - you know, unless I am missing a joke. :p

[option validity: must be a democracy] "What do you mean, not take a stand?!" Shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a political street campaigner who's cause changes every week. "This is a unique chance to denounce the dictators who trample on human rights and oppress their populations! Call them out on their game, right in the assembly. That'll show 'em."

whose cause

[option validity: must be in the World Assembly] "This is the result of our diplomatic success," announces @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Being In The WA. "Our membership of the organisation has at long last been recognised as the important, social and international good that it is! This is a good time to remind the body of it's achievements, and our continuing commitment to the important role we hope to play in the future."

"our membership of the organization"

-- sure, you are a member OF the organization, but should you still use the preposition 'of' when the noun in question is membership? I felt like "our membership in the organization" would sound better, but maybe I am just wrong. :p

its achievements

Also, is gratefulness a word? I thought it was gratitude.

[option] "Darling, don't think of this as a chance for boring politics. This is our time to shine," exclaims Matt Aton, a star celebrity, while explicably administering an electric shock to you. "Specifically, remind them how wonderful a country @@NAME@@ is! Tell them of our fabulous foods, sights and culture -including my show- and bask!"
[effect] foreign diplomats carry tourism brochures to @@DEMONYM@@ politician's speeches

I am guessing it's politicians'

There is actually a joke in the use of the population number- it's that it gets bigger and bigger, even when the player gets the issue again. It's a subtle jab at the fact that a lot of world leaders do something like this, and all of it amounts to very little.

As for the rest, fine additions indeed! Shall implement (later today).

Trotterdam wrote:

Should be "its".

Good points all around. I'll have to think about how to rework the anti (or even the pro) democracy choice.

Now just to curl in a ball for misspelling the word "inexplicably".

Australian rePublic wrote:The description is worded in a jouvinial matter, as if you were giving a speach at a school

A fair point upon reflection. I'll be sure to rework the description a tiny bit to add the weight of responsibility onto this -what would surely be- momentous occasion.

Estados Centroamericanos wrote:I don't think that they should be lowercase. If a word comes after punctuation, be it in a quote or the end of a sentence, it should be capitalized.

I think it's because normally it's supposed to be a comma, but I put in interrobangs instead.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Alright, all edits have been made. Thoughts?

Shwe Tu Colony
Senator

Founded: Sep 27, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Orange words are suggestions, orange ellipsis are removed phrases, underlined words are comments.
Code: Select all
[color=#FF6A00][/color]

Chan Island wrote:Surprisingly, the World Assembly has formally requested for you to address the body in a large session next month. No specific topic has been requested, and with the eyes and ears of the world firmly on you this may be an opportunity.

[option] "E-everyone's going to be looking!" whimpers your anxiety-stricken assistant @@RANDOMNAME@@, forgetting that @@HE@@ is not going to be the one talking. "So many kings, prime ministers, chancellors, and presidents, and a war's only one bad word away! Oh, oh, I gotta talk about something uncontroversial and vaguely important... like the environment! Yeah, nobody can yell at me for that."

[option validity: must be a democracy] "What do you mean, not take a stand?!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a political street campaigner whose cause changes every week. "This is a unique chance to denounce those dirty dictators who dare to trample on human rights and oppress their citizens! Call them out on their game, right in the assembly. That'll show 'em."

[option validity: must be an autocracy] "What do you mean, not take a stand?!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a police officer who's just back from a hard's day work beating up dissidents. "This is a unique chance to denounce the degenerate democracies who allow all manner of disgusting 'human rights' and letting untrained idiots have any say in running the country. Call them our on their game, right in the assembly. That'll show 'em."
[effect] elected representatives yawn as @@LEADER@@ reminds them of their electorates' idiocy

[option validity: must be in the World Assembly] "This is the result of our diplomatic success," announces @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Being In The WA. "Our membership in the organisation has at long last been recognised as the critical social and international good that it is! This is a good time to remind the body of the nation's achievements, and our continuing commitment to the important role we hope to play in the future."

[option validity: must not be in the World Assembly] "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA," hysterically laughs @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Staying The Heck Away From The WA. "Those sad lapdogs have finally realised that their glorious body can only function with our input... and let's rub that in their faces! Now is the part where we throw our heads back and laugh at how ineffectual they are. HAHAHAHAHAHA!"
("now is the part where we throw our heads back and laugh" is a reference to this scene. Might have a small copyright issue)

[option] "Darling, don't think of this as a chance for boring politics. This is our time to shine!" exclaims Matt Aton, a star celebrity, while inexplicably administering an electric shock to you. "Specifically, remind them how wonderful a country @@NAME@@ is! Tell them of our fabulous foods, sights and culture - including my show - and bask in their awe! They'll be flocking to us in no time."
[effect] foreign diplomats carry tourism brochures to understand @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ politicians' speeches

[option] As Matt Aton walks away, citing 'low battery', you find yourself alone. In silence. There's something peaceful -pleasant even- in this tranquility. Maybe that's what the world needs? Less noise...
Cherissime amis! Behold, Shwe Tu Colony/World Machine/WoMac, the paracosm of a spoiled brat, taking everything, sparing nothing, mingling the childhood incroyable with the angst of a young man.
Current status: university rules are just a suggestion
"The summer grass is getting in the way"
Extension

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:43 am

Shwe Tu Colony wrote:Orange words are suggestions, orange ellipsis are removed phrases, underlined words are comments.
Code: Select all
[color=#FF6A00][/color]

Chan Island wrote:Surprisingly, the World Assembly has formally requested for you to address the body in a large session next month. No specific topic has been requested, and with the eyes and ears of the world firmly on you this may be an opportunity.

[option validity: must not be in the World Assembly] "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA," hysterically laughs @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Staying The Heck Away From The WA. "Those sad lapdogs have finally realised that their glorious body can only function with our input... and let's rub that in their faces! Now is the part where we throw our heads back and laugh at how ineffectual they are. HAHAHAHAHAHA!"
("now is the part where we throw our heads back and laugh" is a reference to this scene. Might have a small copyright issue)

All of it implemented wholesale. I regret forgetting that scene existed, it really is one of the greats. :p Also, that fine-toothed comb picked up a great many little things, so that's nice.

Anything else?
Last edited by Chan Island on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shwe Tu Colony
Senator

Founded: Sep 27, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:34 am

Actually, a small edit just for it to make it flow slightly more smoothly. :U

Chan Island wrote:[option validity: must not be in the World Assembly] "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA," hysterically laughs @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Staying The Heck Away From The WA. "Those sad lapdogs have finally realised that their glorious body can only function with our input... and let's rub that in their faces! Let's throw our heads back and laugh at how ineffectual they are. HAHAHAHAHAHA!"
Cherissime amis! Behold, Shwe Tu Colony/World Machine/WoMac, the paracosm of a spoiled brat, taking everything, sparing nothing, mingling the childhood incroyable with the angst of a young man.
Current status: university rules are just a suggestion
"The summer grass is getting in the way"
Extension

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:41 am

Shwe Tu Colony wrote:Actually, a small edit just for it to make it flow slightly more smoothly. :U

Chan Island wrote:[option validity: must not be in the World Assembly] "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA," hysterically laughs @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Staying The Heck Away From The WA. "Those sad lapdogs have finally realised that their glorious body can only function with our input... and let's rub that in their faces! Let's throw our heads back and laugh at how ineffectual they are. HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Cheers!

Anything else?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:53 am

Fallen onto second page. As per usual, my one:

Bump.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:51 am

The opening premise could go anywhere, and may as well say "Pick an area to give a stat boost to." For this reason, I'm unconvinced by the integrity of the narrative.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The opening premise could go anywhere, and may as well say "Pick an area to give a stat boost to." For this reason, I'm unconvinced by the integrity of the narrative.

I'm not quite sure I see what you mean. The options presented are the main sorts of speeches that national leaders tend to do in front of international bodies all the time (when they aren't pleading for help because of the rebel army is being mean to their people). :eyebrow:

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The opening premise could go anywhere, and may as well say "Pick an area to give a stat boost to." For this reason, I'm unconvinced by the integrity of the narrative.

I'm not quite sure I see what you mean. The options presented are the main sorts of speeches that national leaders tend to do in front of international bodies all the time (when they aren't pleading for help because of the rebel army is being mean to their people). :eyebrow:

I guess CWA means that this is like a list issue where taking a specific option just means choosing a certain stat or a group of stats to boost.

For example, taking Option 1 will probably boost your eco-friendliness, Option 2 might boost Foreign Aid (though I am not so sure about this one), etc. It's a bit like that Hobby Lobby issue, where choosing basketball increases health scores or choosing dancing increases culture scores.
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

I guess CWA means that this is like a list issue where taking a specific option just means choosing a certain stat or a group of stats to boost.

For example, taking Option 1 will probably boost your eco-friendliness, Option 2 might boost Foreign Aid (though I am not so sure about this one), etc. It's a bit like that Hobby Lobby issue, where choosing basketball increases health scores or choosing dancing increases culture scores.

Ah, I see. So basically, I need to present some clear trade-offs in each of the options. Roger that. Will see what I can come up with.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:42 pm

That's what I was thinking when I first read this issue.

The writing is there, but I just don't get the situation presented. "The World Assembly has randomly chosen @@NAME@@ to give a speech about whatever you want"? It reminds me a lot one of the first issues, in which you chose a Supreme Court justice and it gives you a stat boost in that certain area. I think there needs more meat if this will stand on it's own, especially now that we have over 1000 issues.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:46 pm

Sacara wrote:The writing is there, but I just don't get the situation presented. "The World Assembly has randomly chosen @@NAME@@ to give a speech about whatever you want"?
That's a good point. Usually, such organizations invite speakers on the basis that there was some subject they wanted to address, and so they went looking for people who look likely to have something useful to say on that subject.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:57 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Sacara wrote:The writing is there, but I just don't get the situation presented. "The World Assembly has randomly chosen @@NAME@@ to give a speech about whatever you want"?
That's a good point. Usually, such organizations invite speakers on the basis that there was some subject they wanted to address, and so they went looking for people who look likely to have something useful to say on that subject.

Proposal: how about the WA invites leader over to address the body for some anniversary? Maybe the anniversary of the body's founding or independence?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 am

Chan Island wrote:Proposal: how about the WA invites leader over to address the body for some anniversary? Maybe the anniversary of the body's founding or independence?
Why would your nation's leader be invited for that?

If they want someone to speak at the anniversary of the body's founding, for example, they'd likely try to invite someone from one of their original founding nations. Most player nations would have joined later (in fact, there isn't any canonical lore on when or how the WA was founded at all).

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 am

Another question: At the UN General Assembly, don't all leaders talk, actually? I don't think it takes a special invitation to speak at the general assembly. Maybe go for general assembly, in this case?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?