NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Oh Corbo, Oh!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

[ABANDONED] Oh Corbo, Oh!

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:27 am

(The current title will probably not be the final title: maybe ‘Pop go The Parties’, instead?)

This draft was inspired by a recent event in Britain. Labour’s current leader Jeremy Corbyn has seemingly managed to attract significant support from among younger voters, and was applauded (with cries including “Oh Jezza, Oh!”, hence the working title used here…)[/i] when he made a speech at the Glastonbury Festival, so the decision was made to hold a combined pop concert & Labour political rally in London this year. Ticket sales for this were initially lower than anticipated, and cheaper tickets were then offered to party members (to the vocal annoyance of some of the people who had already paid full price), but the event still ran at a significant financial loss: The [presumably approximate] figures that I saw quoted were “£100 per head” and a total of £400’000… I’ve increased those numbers here for dramatic effect. Does anybody have a reasonably justified exchange rate between £ and Nationstates’s ‘SMU? Do you think that the validity for this issue should be limited on the basis of average income so that the numbers used are still comparable in actual value to the RL figures? (EDIT: I’ve removed the actual numbers, for now and replaced them with just “at a significant financial loss”, so that these questions don’t matter.)
‘Charles Sourcheese’, the speaker in option 3, was an editorial creation for issue #934: Think in terms of the RL Charles Saatchi…

Oh Corbo, Oh!

[issue] There were smiles all round at your Party’s headquarters this evening, when news came in that the Opposition's attempt at using a pop concert to attract voters to a political rally had been under-attended and ended up running at a significant financial loss.
[validity] Democracy

[option] "Hah! So much for their claims that they could give the country sound financial management!" gloats your own Party Treasurer, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We'll be able to hold this over their head for years."
[validity] unrestricted
[effect] Opposition politicians' speeches on the economy are often drowned out by Government supporters singing pop songs

[option] "We're currently a bit ahead in the opinion polls," comments @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Campaign Manager, "So why not call a snap election now, while the Opposition’s funds being that much lower than usual means that they can't campaign as effectively as they might manage later on?"
[validity] unrestricted
[effect] (I still need an effect line for this option: Any suggestions?)

[option] "Should I just scrap this idea, then?" PR man Charles Sourcheese asks sadly, holding out a folder that you know contains the plans for an even grander combined festival/rally than the Opposition's recent one.
[validity] unrestricted
[effect] people are expelled from political gatherings for whistling a happy tune

[option] "No!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Culture. "This is an opportunity to demonstrate that we really can manage things better than the Opposition. The show must go on! We can do it."
[validity] unrestricted
[effect] no public political meeting is considered complete without a DJ and at least three live bands
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:01 am

I think you should provide a bit more description and context for non-UK users who won't be familiar with Labour Live. Your OP contains enough, but that isn't really translated into the issue text, and I can see a majority of this site's users wondering what it's all about.

For #3, the description could be "a snap election is called after every minor embarrassment for the Opposition".

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:37 am

Unless the govt. is funding it (and if it is, specify), whh care how profitable it is. Unless, of coarse, it's a big tourism draw card. If it is a tourism draw card, then it would only be a little unprofitable
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:38 am

Bears Armed wrote:This draft was inspired by a recent event in Britain. Labour’s current leader Jeremy Corbyn has seemingly managed to attract significant support from among younger voters, and was applauded (with cries including “Oh Jezza, Oh!”, hence the working title used here…) when he made a speech at the Glastonbury Festival, so the decision was made to hold a combined pop concert & Labour political rally in London this year. Ticket sales for this were initially lower than anticipated, and cheaper tickets were then offered to party members (to the vocal annoyance of some of the people who had already paid full price), but the event still ran at a significant financial loss: The [presumably approximate] figures that I saw quoted were “£100 per head” and a total of £400’000…
Let me parse this. If I'm getting it right, the story goes like...:
1. Politician attends a festival and is welcomed enthusiastically.
2. Politician thinks this means it's a good idea to throw another festival.
3. This festival doesn't go over as well.
?

Though your issue doesn't really feature step 1.

Bears Armed wrote:Does anybody have a reasonably justified exchange rate between £ and Nationstates’s ‘SMU?
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=30493631#p30493631

In short, I estimated that 5 SMUs = 1 US dollar.

Looking up the exchange rate between the UK pound sterling and US dollar, that would probably mean 1 SMU = 0.15 pounds.

Mind you, real-life exchange rates fluctuate more frequently than my SMU estimate...

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:34 am

The follies around LabourLive might well be enough for a good issue, but this just doesn't have enough detail in it, especially for the non-UK users.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:39 am

Thank you all for your comments.
I agree that this needs considerably more work, but can't summon up enough enthusiasm for it and am therefore abandoning this idea.

If anybody else decides to tackle this subject then they're welcome to use any bits of my draft that they want.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Return to Got Issues?