NATION

PASSWORD

ABC gives "The Conners" the go ahead without Roseanne...

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

ABC gives "The Conners" the go ahead without Roseanne...

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:18 pm

ABC gives "The Conners" the go ahead without Roseanne Barr's character.
In hoping to have their cake and eat it too, ABC will air a Roseanne-less version of her show called "The Conners."
Roseanne Barr's character will be eliminated from the show which means her absence will need to be explained by the writers. Ratings for that first show will be through the roof as anticipation of what means the show's writers choose to write her out.

I ask you NS, can we help them out with some fresh ideas?

How about this?

Her character's demise is caused by the fiery explosion of a secret basement meth lab (which would be later thought as unknown to Roseanne) while attending a late night party at a girlfriend's home. So she's a kind of victim of drug manufacturers ...or is this too much along the lines of Breaking Bad? Is an opioid overdose too touchy an issue to use to end her character?

There are plenty of scenarios which could be devised. Got one?
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:22 pm

Yea, I'd think that Roseanne would die from something less touchy. Like, an aortic aneurysm brought on by consistent anger and stress.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:36 pm

The South Falls wrote:Yea, I'd think that Roseanne would die from something less touchy. Like, an aortic aneurysm brought on by consistent anger and stress.

She saw one too many CNN fake news stories maybe? The stress straw that broke the camel's back. Ouch.
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Yea, I'd think that Roseanne would die from something less touchy. Like, an aortic aneurysm brought on by consistent anger and stress.

She saw one too many CNN fake news stories maybe? The stress straw that broke the camel's back. Ouch.

Pretty much. Fox news wasn't broadcasting. Those are her meds.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Freezic Vast
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:24 pm

They retconned Dan's death in the season 9 finale to make a reboot this year, I wonder how the writers will fuck up their explanation of her disappearance. (Let me guess, heart attack?)
20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like football, baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. I'm bi and conservative.
Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson ft. Miley Cyrus
Tired, and bored, need sleep.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Freezic Vast wrote:They retconned Dan's death in the season 9 finale to make a reboot this year, I wonder how the writers will fuck up their explanation of her disappearance. (Let me guess, heart attack?)

An alien abduction would be spiffy. Especially filmed with amateur special effects... oh please be this!

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Freezic Vast wrote:They retconned Dan's death in the season 9 finale to make a reboot this year, I wonder how the writers will fuck up their explanation of her disappearance. (Let me guess, heart attack?)

An alien abduction would be spiffy. Especially filmed with amateur special effects... oh please be this!

Doubt it, I would like for the show to give more attention to Darlene since she seemed to be the real star during the reboot, with Roseanne having her moments. They'll probably kill her off with what they tried with Dan, or they have her move in with her youngest son in Alaska. (They did mention this in the first episode of the reboot at the table how they had a young son who was fishing in the north I believe)
20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like football, baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. I'm bi and conservative.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Freezic Vast wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:An alien abduction would be spiffy. Especially filmed with amateur special effects... oh please be this!

Doubt it, I would like for the show to give more attention to Darlene since she seemed to be the real star during the reboot, with Roseanne having her moments. They'll probably kill her off with what they tried with Dan, or they have her move in with her youngest son in Alaska. (They did mention this in the first episode of the reboot at the table how they had a young son who was fishing in the north I believe)

First thought, she could be elected governor there and not seem out of place. Your Alaska solution theoretically makes total sense but that's why they won't do it.
It's not outrageous or funny either, man. This is a comedy with an abnormally large opening night audience pumped up in anticipation. People want to laugh or be outraged.
They can't disappoint. The network just cares about ratings.
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Freezic Vast wrote:Doubt it, I would like for the show to give more attention to Darlene since she seemed to be the real star during the reboot, with Roseanne having her moments. They'll probably kill her off with what they tried with Dan, or they have her move in with her youngest son in Alaska. (They did mention this in the first episode of the reboot at the table how they had a young son who was fishing in the north I believe)

First thought, she could be elected governor there and not seem out of place. Your Alaska solution theoretically makes total sense but that's why they won't do it.
It's not outrageous or funny either, man. This is a comedy with an abnormally large opening night audience pumped up in anticipation. People want to laugh or be outraged.

In Illinois, I doubt it.

Yes and some people also want some satisfactory conclusion to how they can get rid of the star of the show and retool it. Shows do it all the time, some of them work, other times they fall on their faces, and ABC should do the same and retool and rework it without Roseanne, funny or not, we need an explanation.

For the last month by officially cancelling it, and having every network pull any re-runs and marathons of it shows they care more about integrity than ratings differently.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Freezic Vast wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

In Illinois, I doubt it.

Yes and some people also want some satisfactory conclusion to how they can get rid of the star of the show and retool it. Shows do it all the time, some of them work, other times they fall on their faces, and ABC should do the same and retool and rework it without Roseanne, funny or not, we need an explanation.

For the last month by officially cancelling it, and having every network pull any re-runs and marathons of it shows they care more about integrity than ratings differently.

Can't please all the people all the time, in the meantime they make money with ratings.
When it comes to the scripts, they want ratings points. When it comes to PR, they want their brand undamaged so they fired her and pulled ROSEANNE off the air. They had no choice in their decision pulling it off the air with the name of it and all. ROSEANNE.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:21 am

Jerzylvania wrote:Her character's demise is caused by the fiery explosion of a secret basement meth lab (which would be later thought as unknown to Roseanne) while attending a late night party at a girlfriend's home. So she's a kind of victim of drug manufacturers ...or is this too much along the lines of Breaking Bad? Is an opioid overdose too touchy an issue to use to end her character?

Does the demise of a character have to be that dramatic?

Maybe Roseanne Barr’s character, recognising her mistakes, could just move out of the area where The Conners is set, to start a new life off-screen.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Harmonian Hegemony
Envoy

Founded: Apr 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Harmonian Hegemony » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Is Ashton Kutcher available?
Dahon wrote:
Eh, it's Jamal Khashoggi. Who cares.

Um...I think his family probably does. As well as anyone who cares about freedom of the press.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Minoa wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:Her character's demise is caused by the fiery explosion of a secret basement meth lab (which would be later thought as unknown to Roseanne) while attending a late night party at a girlfriend's home. So she's a kind of victim of drug manufacturers ...or is this too much along the lines of Breaking Bad? Is an opioid overdose too touchy an issue to use to end her character?

Does the demise of a character have to be that dramatic?

Maybe Roseanne Barr’s character, recognising her mistakes, could just move out of the area where The Conners is set, to start a new life off-screen.

Recognizing mistakes is very 1970s show and not very Trumpian, either. She can't do THAT! :blink:

As far as dramatic, well isn't this some form of entertainment in 2018? Why lose all those millions of viewers for subsequent episodes by explaining Roseanne's exodus with some Mayberry RFD style blandness? You've heard if it bleeds it leads and that's not just for TV News programming. Something similar also works for ratings of these sorts of shows.

BTW, who shot JR? ;)

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:10 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Minoa wrote:Does the demise of a character have to be that dramatic?

Recognizing mistakes is very 1970s show and not very Trumpian, either. She can't do THAT! :blink:

As far as dramatic, well isn't this some form of entertainment in 2018? Why lose all those millions of viewers for subsequent episodes by explaining Roseanne's exodus with some Mayberry RFD style blandness? You've heard if it bleeds it leads and that's not just for TV News programming. Something similar also works for ratings of these sorts of shows.

BTW, who shot JR? ;)

Maggie.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

BTW, who shot JR? ;)

Maggie.

It was a rhetorical question, but have at it. :)

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:53 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:

BTW, who shot JR? ;)

Maggie.

Definitely Roseanne. Obviously.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:16 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Maggie.

Definitely Roseanne. Obviously.

Hey, if Maggie is still around why not have her finish off Roseanne on a trip to Dallas and then blame it all on JR's ghost? Maybe work in the School Book Depository for some extra pizzazz!

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:07 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Maggie.

It was a rhetorical question, but have at it. :)

"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:It was a rhetorical question, but have at it. :)

I get it! Maggie Simpson plugs Roseanne ...while visiting Disneyland!

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:17 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Minoa wrote:Does the demise of a character have to be that dramatic?

BTW, who shot JR? ;)

Using death to retire a character, in my opinion, is a bit overused, tempting it may be. ;) Look at how they ended The Bill, where they decided that life at Sun Hill Police Station would go on off-screen.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:52 am

Minoa wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

BTW, who shot JR? ;)

Using death to retire a character, in my opinion, is a bit overused, tempting it may be. ;) Look at how they ended The Bill, where they decided that life at Sun Hill Police Station would go on off-screen.

The Bill, eh? I honestly have never seen the program.
Okay, so Roseanne herself just goes off screen then. Hmm. Off screen to me just means off, with no real explanation as to why ...except with Roseanne Barr we do know why.
Well, something tells me that's an ending to the character which most of the folks that watch Roseanne might not actually enjoy as much as writers thinking up something. Even if it isn't morbid. :lol:
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:55 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Minoa wrote:Using death to retire a character, in my opinion, is a bit overused, tempting it may be. ;) Look at how they ended The Bill, where they decided that life at Sun Hill Police Station would go on off-screen.

Okay, so Roseanne herself just goes off screen then. Hmm. Off screen to me just means off, with no real explanation as to why ...except with Roseanne Barr we do know why.
Well, something tells me that's an ending to the character which most of the folks that watch Roseanne might not actually enjoy as much as writers thinking up something. Even if it isn't morbid. :lol:

Sometimes it pays to think outside the box. :p

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:59 am

My money's on some sort of dream sequence.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:03 am

Minoa wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

Sometimes it pays to think outside the box. :p

Right, but its just not workable in this case. Without a death, you have to explain why the grandkids aren't seeing grandma, even if grandpa shows up. Their characters never divorced, so it can't be that, and you can't exactly say "surprise divorce that only lasted a week and ended with grandma being run out of town forever!"

Like, yeah, maybe a character's sudden death is a bit overused to explain why they're not in the show anymore, but there's a very good reason it sees as much use as it does. Its a nice way to tie up all the loose ends created by the actor's departure. Very few other ways of handling an actor departure have that property.
Last edited by Grenartia on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:06 am

Grenartia wrote:
Minoa wrote:Sometimes it pays to think outside the box. :p

Right, but its just not workable in this case. Without a death, you have to explain why the grandkids aren't seeing grandma, even if grandpa shows up. Their characters never divorced, so it can't be that, and you can't exactly say "surprise divorce that only lasted a week and ended with grandma being run out of town forever!"

Fox news took her for her dream job. Exactly.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction