NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Ye Olde Consumer Price Index

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Nicana
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Ye Olde Consumer Price Index

Postby Nicana » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:14 am

Title: Ye Olde Consumer Price Index

Description: The Central Bank's latest inflation forecast - which mentions the steepening price of candlesticks, production problems in the horseshoe-smithing sector, and an expectation of short-term financial pain for riders of velocipedes - has some people suggesting that the basket of goods used to calculate the Consumer Price Index may be getting a little outdated.

Validity: Phones are not illegal

Option 1: "Telegraph machines? Longbows? 'Freshly beeswaxed snuff boxes'?!", disbelievingly reads tech blogger @@RANDOMNAME@@. "These goods are antiquated compared to the habits of modern consumers. If we want an accurate inflation report, we need an index that reflects that people are more concerned about the price of smartphones, ready meals and yoga pants than they are about...whatever a 'portable astrolabe' is. Tell the Central Bank to update the CPI!"
    [effect]plasma rifle price inflation has economists forecasting interest rate rises

Option 2: "I say, I say, this is a little bit hasty!" declaims @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, furiously polishing his monocle before squinting keenly at the CPI entry for 'moustache oil'. "If things are getting out of whack, old bean, then it's the consumer habits that should change, not a bally good index that's seen us right since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, what-ho! Ban all these fancy new telephonic electronic automatic whojamawhatsit contraptions, and we'll soon see just how valuable knowing the price of a good draft of opium really is!"
    [effect]the technologically-challenged populace are relieved that whale tallow candles are still just about affordable

Option 3: "Who cares? It's all mumbo-jumbo anyway," snorts @@RANDOMNAME@@, host of a popular left-wing podcast. "The central bankers and their international globalist controllers just claim to be worried about inflation so they can keep us locked down under wage-slavery and austerity. If the Central Bank did away with its inflation index entirely and just started printing money, we could afford some real investment in public spending and infrastructure. And it'd pay for itself eventually through increased growth. Uh...somehow."
    [effect]the @@CURRENCY@@ is worth so little it is chiefly now used for wallpapering student dorms
Last edited by Nicana on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:34 am

Nicana wrote:

Description: The Central Bank's latest inflation forecast - which mentions the steepening price of candlesticks, production problems in the horseshoe-smithing sector, and an expectation of short-term financial pain for riders of velocipedes - has some people suggesting that the basket of goods used to calculate the Consumer Price Index may be getting a little outdated.

Option 1: "Telegraph machines? Longbows? 'Freshly beeswaxed snuff boxes'?!", disbelievingly reads tech blogger @@RANDOMNAME@@. "These goods are antiquated compared to the habits of modern consumers. If we want an accurate inflation report, we need an index that reflects that people are more concerned about the price of smartphones, ready meals and yoga pants than they are about...whatever a 'portable astrolabe' is. Tell the Central Bank to update the CPI!"
    [effect]plasma rifle price inflation has economists forecasting interest rate rises

Option 2: "I say, I say, this is a little bit hasty!" declaims @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, furiously polishing his monocle before squinting keenly at the CPI entry for 'moustache oil'. "If things are getting out of whack, old bean, then it's the consumer habits that should change, not a bally good index that's seen us right since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, what-ho! Ban all these fancy new telephonic electronic automatic whojamawhatsit contraptions, and we'll soon see just how valuable knowing the price of a good draft of opium really is!"
    [effect]the technologically-challenged populace are relieved that whale tallow candles are still just about affordable

Option 3: "Who cares? It's all mumbo-jumbo anyway," snorts @@RANDOMNAME@@, host of a popular left-wing podcast. "The central bankers and their international globalist controllers just claim to be worried about inflation so they can keep us locked down under wage-slavery and austerity. If the Central Bank did away with its inflation index entirely and just started printing money, we could afford some real investment in public spending and infrastructure. And it'd pay for itself eventually through increased growth. Uh...somehow."
    [effect]the @@CURRENCY@@ is worth so little it is chiefly now used for wallpapering student dorms

This is nice, but there are a few things you need to touch up on.
Legend:
BLUE: Change!

I understand the antique feel for this issue, but "velocipedes" should be replaced by "bicycles" just to make it sound a bit more familiar. IF you like, then "penny farthing" would work, but I don't think that many people would understand that either.

For the first one, it's fine but a pun involving someone's name can be executed.
For the second one, "antique" or just "old" would do just fine. "Outdated" would be just as well.

"What ho!"? Erm... it seems odd, even with the antique feel. Remove it.
Opium? Some nations ban cannabis and other drugs, so something else needs to take its place; however, it seems pretty good, so I don't know what to replace it with.
[effect]the @@CURRENCY@@ is worth so little it is chiefly now used for wallpapering student dorms[/list]

The two I've highlighted are redundant.
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:00 am

Nicana wrote:

Wow, that's some good writing we have here, and along with a quite nice premise to top it all off - AND from a very young nation to boot. This, indeed, is a rare thing to find. Congratulations, my friend. :clap:

May I ask you if you are perhaps the puppet of a more established nation who has had relatively more experience with NS issues before, though? Because geez, your draft is REALLY good for a first-timer, just saying.

-----

As for the issue, I think Option 2 may be a little too silly. I mean, I actually like silly options, but banning the electronic devices that are not in the inflation basket is a little too silly IMHO.

Also, one pervasive problem about inflation baskets is not the "outdatedness" of the goods put in there, but that governments (such as the Turkish government) sometimes deliberately choose weird objects for the inflation basket, especially the things that have not seen a price increase - so it looks like the problem of inflation is less severe than it actually is. Maybe you could add an option about that, where an advisor tells @@LEADER@@ that they should modify the inflation basket to have it include only the goods the prices of which are falling, etc.

Good issue. :)
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Nicana
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicana » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:25 am

Thank you for the feedback.
The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:Opium? Some nations ban cannabis and other drugs, so something else needs to take its place; however, it seems pretty good, so I don't know what to replace it with.

I'm not sure about your other points at this time -- I like the sound of "velocipede" and bicycles aren't particularly outdated (and are used in CPI baskets IRL!) -- but this is a good one; I hadn't considered that. I'll change it to something else: perhaps "a good daguerrotype plate"?
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:May I ask you if you are perhaps the puppet of a more established nation who has had relatively more experience with NS issues before, though?

Guilty :oops:

But, it seems some things have changed since I was last active - "policies", for example, being displayed on the nation page - and there are a lot more issues, so I imagine there's a lot to catch up on.
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Also, one pervasive problem about inflation baskets is not the "outdatedness" of the goods put in there, but that governments (such as the Turkish government) sometimes deliberately choose weird objects for the inflation basket, especially the things that have not seen a price increase - so it looks like the problem of inflation is less severe than it actually is. Maybe you could add an option about that, where an advisor tells @@LEADER@@ that they should modify the inflation basket to have it include only the goods the prices of which are falling, etc.

That's a really good idea.

So, it could be something like:

[option]"Let's not be too hasty before making any drastic changes," simpers @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Chief of Staff for Malevolent Scheming. "The prices of some of these goods haven't increased for decades, and maybe we can use that to our advantage! If we were to keep, say, papyrus scrolls and sackbut polish in the index, then we could compensate for the rising price of food and gas without anyone noticing. Of course, this would only work if the Central Bank put out a single inflation figure and stopped publishing the individual components of the CPI, but, don't you think people would enjoy reading their celebrity gossip magazines more than some dry economic statistics anyway?"
[effect]the government's shady inflation index is subject to layers of state secrecy

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 am

Nicana wrote:Thank you for the feedback.
The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:Opium? Some nations ban cannabis and other drugs, so something else needs to take its place; however, it seems pretty good, so I don't know what to replace it with.

I'm not sure about your other points at this time -- I like the sound of "velocipede" and bicycles aren't particularly outdated (and are used in CPI baskets IRL!) -- but this is a good one; I hadn't considered that. I'll change it to something else: perhaps "a good daguerrotype plate"?
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:May I ask you if you are perhaps the puppet of a more established nation who has had relatively more experience with NS issues before, though?

But, it seems some things have changed since I was last active - "policies", for example, being displayed on the nation page - and there are a lot more issues, so I imagine there's a lot to catch up on.
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Also, one pervasive problem about inflation baskets is not the "outdatedness" of the goods put in there, but that governments (such as the Turkish government) sometimes deliberately choose weird objects for the inflation basket, especially the things that have not seen a price increase - so it looks like the problem of inflation is less severe than it actually is. Maybe you could add an option about that, where an advisor tells @@LEADER@@ that they should modify the inflation basket to have it include only the goods the prices of which are falling, etc.

That's a really good idea.

So, it could be something like:

[option]"Let's not be too hasty before making any drastic changes," simpers @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Chief of Staff for Malevolent Scheming. "The prices of some of these goods haven't increased for decades, and maybe we can use that to our advantage! If we were to keep, say, papyrus scrolls and sackbut polish in the index, then we could compensate for the rising price of food and gas without anyone noticing. Of course, this would only work if the Central Bank put out a single inflation figure and stopped publishing the individual components of the CPI, but, don't you think people would enjoy reading their celebrity gossip magazines more than some dry economic statistics anyway?"
[effect]the government's shady inflation index is subject to layers of state secrecy

Aww, welcome back Golgothastan! I love your issues, you're something of a legend, old-timer! :lol:

I like this new option very much, but I guess you don't even have to say "this would only work if the Central Bank put out a single inflation figure and stopped publishing the individual components of the CPI."

I mean, as far as Turkey is concerned, the government does not exert even the slightest effort to conceal what they put in the inflation basket.

https://www.ft.com/content/f8b4a8c4-92c ... facd07614a

So I think this Chief of Staff of Malevolent Scheming could go even further and shamelessly suggest changing the items in the basket without trying to hide anything.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:15 am

Golgothastan! You're back! Welcome!

This issue is excellent. I was just about to write a big long thing saying this was amazing for a first timer. The premise is very interesting and the options flow beautifully from it. Big fan. :)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Validity: Capitalists only
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Validity: Capitalists only

I'm fairly sure communist countries care about inflation and about the state of their economies too.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:54 am

Nicana wrote:

Welcome back!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:09 am

Chan Island wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Validity: Capitalists only

I'm fairly sure communist countries care about inflation and about the state of their economies too.

Sure, but in a planned economy you don't track market trends to measure inflation.

This issue is really good. Naturally.

Hope you're going to reactivate your main and come back to editing, Golgothastan.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Nicana
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Nicana » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:04 am

On the validity, I am going to leave that to the editors to decide.

Hope to get a 2nd draft incorporating some of the suggestions over the coming week.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Hope you're going to reactivate your main and come back to editing, Golgothastan.

Want to see how much time I have available before jumping back in. Last time I came back, I didn't have enough time and ended up quitting (again) having accomplished nothing but waste Sedge's time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?