NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Much Ado About Everything

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
East Oceania
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 16, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[DRAFT] Much Ado About Everything

Postby East Oceania » Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 pm

So, I recently submitted this issue and it appears it didn't make the cut. I've on the site for quite some time and I'm a site donor, but decided I maybe wanted to get a bit more involved in the creative process behind issues. I have some creative writing experience, so I thought "why the heck not." I didn't post the draft here as I thought I understood what was expected, but would really appreciate you lovely folks' feedback on what could be done better here.

So here goes nothing:

[title] Much Ado About Everything

[description] An unlikely alliance of Liberal comedians and Baby Boomers has barged into your office while your secretary was distracted getting their morning coffee. They appear to be concerned about how often young people seem to be offended these days. You listen to their demands while trying to suppress the shock of how easy it is to break into your office.

[option 1]"What these punks need is a good ol' beating!" says local resident Peter Daly, known by his neighbors as Crazy Old Pete, while shaking his fist furiously. "Back in the day we didn't have the time to be offended by everything. We were busy fighting for the @@TYPE@@. Conscript these fruitcakes. The military will set them straight in no time."

[effect]Young soldiers have their feelings too hurt to serve in battle.

[option 2]"That seems... extreme" says famous comedian, @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, while @@HE_1@@ takes a selfie with your staff. "Look, I'm just trying to make a living here. You know how difficult that is with these kids posting how insensitive my jokes are all over social media? Artists like myself should not have their careers destroyed just because some college student can't appreciate a good joke when they hear one.”

[effect]Crude jokes are the golden standard of the @@CAPITAL@@ stand-up comedy circuit.

[option 3]"STOP MICROAGGRESSIONS!" yells @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, not looking at you as @@HE_2@@ stares and types intently on @@HIS_2@@ cell phone. "It is high time people like Peter Daly and @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ stop benefiting from the misery of this nation's downtrodden, @@LEADER@@. Young people like myself understand how language is only a social construct to keep the oppressed subjugated, but the old ones don't. Sensitivity training should be mandatory for all people over 40”

[effect]Helping grandma with her Misgendering 101 homework is a national right of passage.

[option 4]"It doesn't have to be either way" says your Secretary of Innovative Solutions, @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, as @@HE_3@@ emerges from behind a curtain, where @@HE_3@@ has apparently been hiding this whole time. "What we need is government-approved word and phrases lists. That way kids aren't offended and comics can make their jokes. It's a win-win! Well, except for freedom of speech, but that's not the issue here, now, is it?”

[effect]Saying the word "eggplant" is now a criminal offense.
Last edited by East Oceania on Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of resistance.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri May 25, 2018 9:15 pm

In future, make sure you post your ideas here first, that way the lovecraftian abominations that live here can review and improve the idea before submissions. Also, even once you have submitted something, be patient. It usually takes months for an issue to be implemented, if it ever does.

The main problem I see in your draft is the use of the term 'baby boomers'. That aspect won't age well, because I imagine that in 30 years time there won't be all that many baby boomers knocking about. Please consider changing it to something like 'the elderly'.

Meanwhile, I swear there is an issue just like this, or at least very similar?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Fri May 25, 2018 9:19 pm

Deleted by The Marsupial Illuminati on Sun May 32, 2008 13:11 pm, deleted 1 time in total.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Sun May 27, 2018 5:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Official United Nations
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Official United Nations » Sat May 26, 2018 2:44 am

I won't comment much on it. I would note that the first option isn't that clearly related to the issue itself. It seems more like a humorous 'third option' than a clear response. It involves military interests instead, and doesn't really explain the relevance of the choices offered to the issue. Perhaps preface it with something introducing the youths, and explaining the speaker's frustration with them. You summarise how their concerns 'appear,' but let them explain their concerns.

However, obviously we'll see if this requires further draft editing.
Last edited by The Official United Nations on Sat May 26, 2018 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Option 2- they're not crude though. They're just politically incorrect
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:49 am

This issue has been accepted as Issue #1073 "Much Ado About Everything," with a few changes (like Option 2 explicitly banning the internet instad of offering the more neutral approach originally proposed.) Mind if I give you a pat on the back? :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Yeay you!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Mellywood
Civilian

Founded: Feb 03, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mellywood » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:04 pm

Lack of impartiality and really the only neutral option is still very drastic and liberal, while the military and comedic option are too conservative and extreme

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:51 pm

I think that's the point. It's meant to be a satire about how everyone's complaining about everything and can only offer extreme solutions to trivial issues. :P

That said, option 2 was definitely made far more extreme in the actual issue than the submitted draft... probably because it was so relatively mundane. xD

If you think it's a non-issue, there's always the dismiss option; a valid technique used by politicians all the time, and a major reason why overly neutral / do-nothing options don't exist. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?