NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Thinking A Little Too Hard?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Krusavich
Attaché

Founded: Mar 19, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

[SUBMITTED] Thinking A Little Too Hard?

Postby Krusavich » Wed May 23, 2018 11:48 am

First ever attempt at an issue, any criticism and harsh words of discontent or disappointment are fully welcome!
TITLE:

Thinking A Little Too Hard?

VALIDITY:

Nation has an adequately funded military

DESCRIPTION:

A highly publicized data leak from Maxtopia has revealed the country’s classified expenditures into the study of ESP, astral projection, mind reading and other psychic related phenomena for apparent military purposes. Interested citizens and military staff have approached you to ensure that @@NAME@@ responds accordingly.

OPTION ONE

“It's a new frontier open for exploration!” exclaims General @@RANDOMNAME@@ as they fiddle with a tinfoil “projection” cap. “Just look at the things Maxtopia was experimenting with – mind reading helmets, brain expansion exercises, this “Dream Twister” thing, and so much more! I mean, just imagine if even a few of our troops had these sort of abilities on the battlefield, or on intelligence operations! Sure, we might have to bump taxes a bit to get the projects started up, but we’re already behind on the coming psychic age. You really want to put a price on the future of warfare?”

Outcome: A portion of the military budget is allocated to brain foods

OPTION TWO

“You’re not taking this far enough!” proclaims self-avowed psychokinesis expert and author of the best selling self-help book “Moving Yourself Forward with just Yourself”, @@RANDOMNAME@@. “The nations of the world have only now turned to recognizing the full potential of the human mind, an infinite power beyond this puny material world! With enough training, there’s literally no limit to what a psychic soldier could do! What’s the point of spending anything on guns or tanks if you could just train a man to stop their enemy’s heart with a thought? I say we convert the whole armed forces into a psychic-only legion!”

Outcome: Basic training consists of staring at goats while firearms go unused

OPTION THREE

“Oh please, don’t tell me you’ve fallen for this nonsense as well!” moans your rationalist general @@RANDOMNAME@@. “If you had actually bothered to read the leaked documents, you would have seen what all these ‘projects’ amounted to – nothing, nada, zilch, zero! They were all canceled years ago because they produced nothing except a lot of wasted time and money. But now you’ve given these hooligans legitimacy! I’ve got my own officers trying to ‘expand their mind’ with some hyper-meditation-yoga nonsense. It’s time we clamp down on these ridiculous superstitions that have infected our military! Anyone caught speaking this New Age mumbo-jumbo should be sent to the disciplinary barracks until they get their head on straight!”

Outcome: Military personnel caught with good luck charms are awarded months of latrine cleaning duties

TITLE:

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

On an official state outing to the annual Maxtopia national fair, one of your top military generals visited a physic reader booth. Although skeptical at first, they have since become fully convinced of its legitimacy following a few vague but eerily accurate readings. Since then, they have been hounding you to redirect defense spending into potential physic warfare training and equipment.

OPTION ONE

“It’s a totally unexplored frontier for our armed forces!” exclaims General @@RANDOMNAME@@ as they fiddle with a tinfoil “projection” cap. “Those readers knew my name, birthday and how much cash I had in my wallet before I said a word! I mean, just imagine if even a few of our troops had that sort of clairvoyance on the battlefield, or on intelligence operations! Sure, we might have to bump taxes a bit to get the projects started up, but can you really put a price on the future of warfare?”

OPTION TWO

“You’re not taking this far enough!” proclaims famous psychokinesis expert and author of the best selling self-help book “Moving Yourself Forward with just Yourself”, @@RANDOMNAME@@. “You’ve only now turned to recognizing the full potential of the human mind, an infinite power beyond this puny material world! With enough training, there’s literally no limit to what a physic soldier could do! What’s the point of spending anything on guns or tanks if you could just train a man to stop their enemy’s heart with a thought? I say we convert the whole armed forces into a physic-only legion!”

OPTION THREE

“Oh please, don’t tell me you’ve fallen for this nonsense as well!” moans your other, less spirited general @@RANDOMNAME@@. “Just a few minutes ago I heard some of my officers talking about getting their palms read before the next deployment, ‘just in case they see something’! This farce has gone on too long; it’s time we clamp down on these ridiculous superstitions that have infected our military! Anyone caught speaking New Age mumbo-jumbo should be sent to the disciplinary barracks until they start talking sense again!”

Outcome: Military personnel caught with good luck charms are awarded months of latrine cleaning duties

TITLE:

VALIDITY:

Nation has an adequately funded military, higher than average levels of ignorance

DESCRIPTION:

On an official state outing to the annual Maxtopia national fair, one of your top military generals visited a psychic reader booth. Although skeptical at first, they have since become fully convinced of its legitimacy following a few vague but eerily accurate readings. Since then, they have been hounding you to redirect defense spending into potential psychic warfare training and equipment.

OPTION ONE

“It's a new frontier open for exploration!” exclaims General @@RANDOMNAME@@ as they fiddle with a tinfoil “projection” cap. “Those readers knew my name, birthday and how much cash I had in my wallet before I said a word! I mean, just imagine if even a few of our troops had that sort of clairvoyance on the battlefield, or on intelligence operations! Sure, we might have to bump taxes a bit to get the projects started up, but can you really put a price on the future of warfare?”

OPTION TWO

“You’re not taking this far enough!” proclaims famous psychokinesis expert and author of the best selling self-help book “Moving Yourself Forward with just Yourself”, @@RANDOMNAME@@. “You’ve only now turned to recognizing the full potential of the human mind, an infinite power beyond this puny material world! With enough training, there’s literally no limit to what a psychic soldier could do! What’s the point of spending anything on guns or tanks if you could just train a man to stop their enemy’s heart with a thought? I say we convert the whole armed forces into a psychic-only legion!”

OPTION THREE

“Oh please, don’t tell me you’ve fallen for this nonsense as well!” moans your self-proclaimed rationalist general @@RANDOMNAME@@. “Just a few minutes ago I heard some of my officers talking about getting their palms read before the next deployment, ‘just in case they see something’! This farce has gone on too long; it’s time we clamp down on these ridiculous superstitions that have infected our military! Anyone caught speaking New Age mumbo-jumbo should be sent to the disciplinary barracks until they start talking sense again!”

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

A highly publicized data leak from Maxtopia has revealed the country’s classified expenditures into the study of ESP, astral projection, mind reading and other psychic related phenomena for apparent military purposes. Interested citizens and military staff have approached you to ensure that @@NAME@@ responds accordingly.

OPTION ONE

“It's a new frontier open for exploration!” exclaims General @@RANDOMNAME@@ as they fiddle with a tinfoil “projection” cap. “Just look at the things Maxtopia was experimenting with – mind reading helmets, brain expansion exercises, this “Dream Twister” thing, and so much more! I mean, just imagine if even a few of our troops had these sort of abilities on the battlefield, or on intelligence operations! Sure, we might have to bump taxes a bit to get the projects started up, but we’re already behind on the coming psychic age. You really want to put a price on the future of warfare?”

OPTION TWO

“You’re not taking this far enough!” proclaims self-avowed psychokinesis expert and author of the best selling self-help book “Moving Yourself Forward with just Yourself”, @@RANDOMNAME@@. “The nations of the world have only now turned to recognizing the full potential of the human mind, an infinite power beyond this puny material world! With enough training, there’s literally no limit to what a psychic soldier could do! What’s the point of spending anything on guns or tanks if you could just train a man to stop their enemy’s heart with a thought? I say we convert the whole armed forces into a psychic-only legion!”

OPTION THREE

“Oh please, don’t tell me you’ve fallen for this nonsense as well!” moans your rationalist general @@RANDOMNAME@@. “If you had actually bothered to read the leaked documents, you would have seen what all these ‘projects’ amounted to – nothing, nada, zilch, zero! They were all canceled years ago because they produced nothing except a lot of wasted time and money. But now you’ve given these hooligans legitimacy! I’ve got my own officers trying to ‘expand their mind’ with some hyper-meditation-yoga nonsense. It’s time we clamp down on these ridiculous superstitions that have infected our military! Anyone caught speaking this New Age mumbo-jumbo should be sent to the disciplinary barracks until they get their head on straight!”

Last edited by Krusavich on Thu May 31, 2018 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Techolandia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Techolandia » Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 pm

For the first option, I think that, "It's a new frontier open for exploration!" would better reflect the general's proposal.
Also, I think that "self-proclaimed 'rationalist' general" would be a better description than "other, less spirited general".
Last edited by Techolandia on Wed May 23, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Wed May 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Welcome to Got Issues! There are a few issues about supernatural problems, but none at first glace that seem to tackle psychic readings in the context of the military. Perhaps as a validity, the nation needs to qualify for a certain medium/high level of ignorance. A highly scientific/skeptical population might not bring metaphysical suggestions into the briefing room.

That said, this issue is much less controversial if Military Generals are following the advice of "Physic readers". Minor typo check, but changing all instances of "Physic" to 'Psychic" should be a priority.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 23, 2018 3:19 pm

Option 2- what? What kind of scientist believes that?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Krusavich
Attaché

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Wed May 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Techolandia wrote:For the first option, I think that, "It's a new frontier open for exploration!" would better reflect the general's proposal.
Also, I think that "self-proclaimed 'rationalist' general" would be a better description than "other, less spirited general".

Good improvements, I'll incorporate them.

Altmer Dominion wrote:Welcome to Got Issues! ... Perhaps as a validity, the nation needs to qualify for a certain medium/high level of ignorance. A highly scientific/skeptical population might not bring metaphysical suggestions into the briefing room.

That said, this issue is much less controversial if Military Generals are following the advice of "Physic readers". Minor typo check, but changing all instances of "Physic" to 'Psychic" should be a priority.

Thank you. And yeah, having a sufficient ignorance level would make sense for this sort of problem - I'll add that in.
I thought I even made extra sure to avoid that particular typo, evidently not. Thanks for pointing that out.

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2- what? What kind of scientist believes that?

The option 2 person isn't a scientist. Unless you're referring to the physic/psychic typo, which hopefully is all corrected out now.
Last edited by Krusavich on Wed May 23, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Techolandia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Techolandia » Wed May 23, 2018 4:32 pm

Krusavich wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2- what? What kind of scientist believes that?

The option 2 person isn't a scientist. Unless you're referring to the physic/psychic typo, which hopefully is all corrected out now.

Maybe you should replace famous with self-proclaimed.
Last edited by Techolandia on Wed May 23, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed May 23, 2018 8:33 pm

Description is kind of long. The topic seems viable, though.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Techolandia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Techolandia » Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Description is kind of long. The topic seems viable, though.
Yes. Maybe something more like:
During a trip to a fair, some your military officials became impressed with a series of eerily accurate predictions from a psychic. They now want to investigate the potentials of psychic warfare.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Techolandia wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:Description is kind of long. The topic seems viable, though.
Yes. Maybe something more like:
During a trip to a fair, some your military officials became impressed with a series of eerily accurate predictions from a psychic. They now want to investigate the potentials of psychic warfare.

This is a good description^.

I like this. Definitely going to monitor.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Krusavich
Attaché

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Thu May 24, 2018 8:03 am

Techolandia wrote:During a trip to a fair, some your military officials became impressed with a series of eerily accurate predictions from a psychic. They now want to investigate the potentials of psychic warfare.

Seems like people like this enough, I'll add it in for the eventual third draft.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu May 24, 2018 8:07 am

The current title is fine, but just thought I would make some suggestions:

"Put On Your Unthinking Helmets!"

"All Brawl And No Brain"

"Big Green Idiots"

"Change My Mind"

(I'm not making any jabs on any RL armies or anyone, mind you. You did say high levels of ignorance, so... :P)
Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu May 24, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 25, 2018 4:28 am

Personally I feel both fortune tellers and psychic readers are pretty similar, so I'd say the overlap with 416 is too strong.

However, I think that if this issue shifted narrative focus from the legitimacy of psychic reader booths onto the idea of endorsing military psychic, that could work fine, especially given the real life situations with WW2 and Cold War forays into researching the supernatural by various major world powers.

Maybe instead have the premise be a leaked document revealing that Blackacre has a secret army base conducting research into ESP, psychic mind control and supernatural telepresence, and reacting to that.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Techolandia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Techolandia » Fri May 25, 2018 11:53 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Personally I feel both fortune tellers and psychic readers are pretty similar, so I'd say the overlap with 416 is too strong.

However, I think that if this issue shifted narrative focus from the legitimacy of psychic reader booths onto the idea of endorsing military psychic, that could work fine, especially given the real life situations with WW2 and Cold War forays into researching the supernatural by various major world powers.

Maybe instead have the premise be a leaked document revealing that Blackacre has a secret army base conducting research into ESP, psychic mind control and supernatural telepresence, and reacting to that.
I think that there has actually been research into things like mind control in real life, like Projects MKUltra and ARTICHOKE.

Krusavich
Attaché

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Sat May 26, 2018 9:30 pm

Alright, third draft is up. I've condensed the description, incorporated some suggestions and redirected the focus of the issue as Candle advised. Let me know your thoughts or further suggestions.

Techolandia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Techolandia » Sun May 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Krusavich wrote:Alright, third draft is up. I've condensed the description, incorporated some suggestions and redirected the focus of the issue as Candle advised. Let me know your thoughts or further suggestions.
This might be something good for an issue chain, where choosing one of the first two options would prompt an issue about the ethics of psychic warfare.

Krusavich
Attaché

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krusavich » Wed May 30, 2018 4:06 pm

One final bump before submission.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:52 am

Good luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?