NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED 6.7.18] All That Glitters

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED 6.7.18] All That Glitters

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat May 19, 2018 5:10 pm

DRAFT 2:

TITLE:

All That Glitters

VALIDITY:

Marriage legal, professional sports legal, decent wealth gaps exist, capitalist

DESCRIPTION:

When a celebrity power couple like pro-footballer @@randommalename@@ and fashion model and former pop starlet @@randomfemalename@@ marries, there's bound to be some glitz and glamour. In fact, thanks to @@randomfirstfemalename(2)@@'s obsession with being a "fairytale princess" the beachside wedding also involved many tonnes of glitter, which is now drifting across the nearby lagoon, raising an important question. What about the mess?

OPTION ONE

"Oh right, yah, the mess," notes the newlywed footballer, brushing pink and silver shimmering flakes off his lapel. "Yah, we'll cover the cost of that for sure, wouldn't dream of not doing so. A few million will do it and all is forgiven, yah?" He tosses his platinum credit card at you dismissively.

Outcome: the weregild principle is alive and well in modern @@NAME@@

OPTION TWO

"You can't just buy your way out of an ecological disaster," complains dour-faced environmentalist @@randomname@@, who has already ruined all the wedding photos with @@HIS@@ scowling photo-bombing. "Microplastic fragments like this are detrimental to ocean life and can work their way up the food chain as well, causing damage to larger organisms. These irresponsible airhead celebrities should be prosecuted under the full weight of environmental law, and non-biodegradable glitter must be banned!"

Outcome: little girls are in tears as @@LEADER@@ confiscates their pink princess ballgowns

OPTION THREE

"Awww but the glitter is LUVVERLY," coos the blushing bride, her ultra-thin arms flapping as they catch a weak breeze. "We should make all the beaches and streets look all pretty and glittery, innit? It'd be so nice, and everyone would be smiling all the time because... because... AWWW I LOVE GLITTER, ME!"

Outcome: blocked storm drains cause sanitation problems

DRAFT 1
TITLE:

All That Glitters

VALIDITY:

Marriage legal, professional sports legal, decent wealth gaps exist

DESCRIPTION:

When a celebrity power couple like pro-footballer @@randommalename@@ and fashion model and former pop starlet @@randomfemalename@@ marries, there's bound to be some glitz and glamour. In fact, thanks to @@randomfirstfemalename(2)@@'s obsession with being a "fairytale princess" the beachside wedding also involved many tonnes of glitter, which is now drifting across the nearby lagoon, raising an important question. What about the mess?

OPTION ONE

"Oh right, yah, the mess," notes the newlywed footballer, brushing pink and silver shimmering flakes off his lapel. "Yah, we'll cover the cost of that for sure, wouldn't dream of not doing so. A few million will do it and all is forgiven, yah?" He tosses his platinum credit card at you dismissively.

Outcome: the weregild principle is alive and well in modern @@NAME@@

OPTION TWO

"You can't just buy your way out of an ecological disaster," complains dour-faced environmentalist @@randomname@@, who has already ruined all the wedding photos with @@HIS@@ scowling photo-bombing. "Microplastic fragments like this are detrimental to ocean life and can work their way up the food chain as well, causing damage to larger organisms. These irresponsible airhead celebrities should be prosecuted under the full weight of environmental law, and glitter must be banned!"

Outcome: little girls are in tears as @@LEADER@@ confiscates their Disney princess dresses

OPTION THREE

"Awww but the glitter is LUVVERLY," coos the blushing bride, her ultra-thin arms flapping as they catch a weak breeze. "We should make all the beaches and streets look all pretty and glittery, innit? It'd be so nice, and everyone would be smiling all the time because... because... AWWW I LOVE GLITTER, ME!"

Outcome: blocked storm drains cause sanitation problems

Feed me back!
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:12 am, edited 8 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Sat May 19, 2018 7:03 pm

I just listened to "All Star" :clap:
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat May 19, 2018 8:29 pm

#351 covers rich people paying for their crimes (literally) and #346 covers rich people paying for environmental cleanup of their mistakes.

This draft "distinguishes" itself from both mainly by tackling a much less serious subject, i.e. a less serious crime than murder and it's probably doing less environmental damage than an oil spill, too.

The one new question this issue asks is "is cleaning glitter from a sea something we can actually do, no matter how much money we throw at it?", which isn't really in focus, and isn't a political question at any rate.

On doing some research, I find that there actually are calls to ban glitter in real life (I'm guessing that was your inspiration), but even that article says:
Professor Thompson said that an outright ban might not be necessary, emphasising a pragmatic approach that considers the likelihood it will end up in the environment.

Moreover, eco-friendly glitter that breaks down quickly could be a viable replacement that doesn’t end up in the food chain.

The cosmetics chain Lush has replaced glitter in its products with synthetic, biodegradable alternatives in a move praised by Dr Sue Kinsey, senior pollution policy officer at the Marine Conservation Society.
Searching for "biodegradable glitter" suggests it looks glittery enough.

Oh, by the way, any airheaded beauty parodies you could think of have already been done:
Late November of last year, the internet was amidst a kerfuffle. Climatologists and environmental scientists had come out of their labs to ruin deliver a truth we all knew, but weren't ready to hear: glitter is, like, really bad for the environment.
Your old glitter is literally eternal garbage. It's time to find a solution, and that solution can't be "stop wearing glitter", obviously…
Incidentally it also answers the earlier question:
You couldn't strain pieces of glitter out of a bucket of water if you tried, right? So getting it out of the ocean and large water bodies would be really, really, really hard – maybe impossible.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat May 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Outcome: little girls are in tears as @@LEADER@@ confiscates their Disney princess dresses

Feed me back!

Is Disney supposed to exist in issues world?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun May 20, 2018 10:23 am

Eisner World, actually. Ed: Ok, I think it's actually Eisnerland, but you get the pictue.

I've thought about writing a followup to it, but honestly I can't think of a good topic for it that isn't already covered to an extant.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun May 20, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun May 20, 2018 11:23 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Feed me back!

I think the joke worsens if we NSify that reference.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun May 20, 2018 10:31 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Feed me back!

I really think we would lose something if we got rid of the real world reference in that one. Candle, please keep that as Disney.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 am

Luna Amore wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I think the joke worsens if we NSify that reference.

I don't see the need to have a brand name on it at all.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 21, 2018 12:14 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:I think the joke worsens if we NSify that reference.

I don't see the need to have a brand name on it at all.

I generally work to the principle of "don't namecheck big, litigious corporations with endless pots of money".

How about nick a Simpsons joke, "Diz-nee"?

Although, I agree that the joke works without a brand name.

EDIT: how about reference Disney without using the name:

"little girls are in tears as @@LEADER@@ confiscates their pink princess ballgowns and sparkly mermaid fins"
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon May 21, 2018 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon May 21, 2018 2:10 am

That's good Joy, I'll use that instead in the second draft.

Trotterdam:

Thanks for your well thought out post there. I agree there's some overlap in options, but I've always felt that issue descriptions are where differences need to be found, not in the options. For example, we've got massive numbers of issues that ban religion or capitalism, or which propose particular solutions to different problems. My feeling is that if the issue premise is unique, then there is no overlap. Obviously there's risk of bias here, what with me being the general ultimate arbiter of uniqueness, but I'm always sure to let the team decide rather than me when personally authored issues approach the overlap line.

Re: eco-friendly alternatives, my only worry here is that would be too easy an option to pick. My thinking is that picking option 2 will implicitly lead to such alternatives being adopted, though I'll add the word "non-biodegradable" in front of "glitter must be banned" to make that strongly telegraphed. In a way, the adoption of alternatives wouldn't change how that option is executed - it's still a restriction on market freedom in order to protect the environment, and you and I know that's about the limit of granularity in NS simulation anyway...
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon May 21, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 22, 2018 1:14 am

I'm guessing capitalist nations only?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue May 22, 2018 1:23 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I'm guessing capitalist nations only?

Good point. Added that.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:08 am

One and only bump before I move this to the oubliette staff issues pool. Any more thoughts anyone?

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 am

So, why can't little @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ girls have dresses with biodegradable glitter? I know that you changed glitter into non-biodegradable glitter to avoid a pitfall Trotterdam pointed to, but now I feel like it would be better if the effect line also included a reference to that... Maybe "glitterers" being employed to "renovate" old princess dresses by washing away the old glitter and sprinkling them back with biodegradable glitter, etc. :p
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:34 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:So, why can't little @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ girls have dresses with biodegradable glitter? I know that you changed glitter into non-biodegradable glitter to avoid a pitfall Trotterdam pointed to, but now I feel like it would be better if the effect line also included a reference to that... Maybe "glitterers" being employed to "renovate" old princess dresses by washing away the old glitter and sprinkling them back with biodegradable glitter, etc. :p

I guess they could in future, but Leader would still need to take away their existing ones, so I think the effect line can hold.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 am

Even then, most product bans only ban further production and sale of that product, not private ownership of existing copies. But then that's NS exaggeration for you.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:04 am

Right, there'd be no real humour in a glitter ban that doesn't apply to retroactive purchases, I think.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?