NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT]: Focal Seizure

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Terminus Lambda
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT]: Focal Seizure

Postby Terminus Lambda » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:15 pm

Based on feedback from a now-dead issue draft, I have drafted this new potential issue. This issue deals with the consequences of a corporate non-disclosure agreement.

I am very new to writing issues, so any criticism or suggestions would be highly appreciated. My chief concerns include the issue being too wordy, particularly the description, and the title and outcomes being suboptimal.

I have not included any specific stat effects for the options, as I am unsure as to whether the issue is even viable. I would also like to know whether I should create a communist version of this issue.

Title: Focal Seizure

Validity: Only available to nations with free-market economies.

The Issue: An employee of one of the nation's largest technology firms, Dam-E-Diodes, left the company and began using corporate resources to construct his own corporation, Path-E-TechPheft, which has since consumed the majority of the nation's @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ sector. Dam-E-Diodes is attempting to legally seize the newer corporation and its assets, citing theft of its intellectual property, given a non-disclosure agreement signed by its former employee. The resulting economic fallout has propelled the issue past the usual bureaucracy, and directly onto your desk.

Option 1: "These barbaric 'contracts' and 'agreements' are an insult to hardworking citizens such as myself!" opines @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, the employee in question, while trading stocks off of his proprietary Dam-E-Diodes-brand mobile device. "So what if I stole some assets and sabotaged some of their operations? This agreement is insulting! According to it, all of my 'thoughts, DNA, and derivative works' are company property! You need to stand up for us workers, and outlaw any contracts or agreements infringing on our- SELL! SELL! SELL!"

Outcome 1: Most jobs now consist of retiring with full pay.

Option 2: "What they call an insult, I call brand loyalty", interjects @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, an executive of Dam-E-Diodes, flanked by a dozen high-priced lawyers. "In any competitive marketplace, corporations must protect the security of their interests. Oftentimes, this involves placing certain restrictions on employees, who may possess sensitive information. Everyone would benefit if you could allow us to further restrict potentially compromising employees. Besides, many of these measures are merely formalities. If any employee wishes to leave, all we ask is that they avoid working in any related industry for the next 300 years."

Outcome 2: Citizens are known to pay employers for the privilege of working for them.

Option 3: "I honestly don't see why you're focusing on such petty squabbles, when there are much bigger things at stake", opines your tired economic advisor,
@@RANDOMNAME@@, smelling faintly of whiskey. "These are massive corporations; the fallout just from the announcement of a possible merger has already caused massive market fluctuation. I implore you, allow our economy to stabilize, and save us all a big headache. Pardon the employee involved, and prohibit an asset seizure, just this time."

Outcome 3: @@LEADER@@ is known to make wildly unpopular decisions "for the good of the people".

Option 4: Restricting employee freedoms is a wonderful idea, but what's in it for us?" hisses one of your shadiest advisors and former used car dealer @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, leaving a visible slime trail as he slithers up to your desk. "My friends in the technology industry have developed an amazing new device. Implanted into a person's skull at birth, it will deliver a good, hard electric shock whenever they do anything not sanctioned by the government! This'll stop all corporate theft permanently, and will be a great tool when I seize power, for both of us, of course. You can even be the first to test it out!"

Outcome 4: The nation's streets and media outlets are eerily silent for fear of angering @@LEADER@@.

Option 5: You're wasting so much of that delicious brain", snarls your deranged manchild of a cousin, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while trying to perform surgery on a live @@ANIMAL@@ with a plastic fork and knife. "You should just force every citizen to sign a contract pledging lifetime allegiance to you. If they resist, just cite the contract. You know, my walls could always use some redecoration. Tasty, moist redecoration."

Outcome 5: Dissidents are converted into delicious protein supplements.

Option 6: Friend, obvious solution cannot elude you", proclaims @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, self-appointed man of the people. "Solution to problem must be clear, revered leader. Corporation obviously cause problem, so to solve problem, ban corporation. In glorious homeland, no corruptive corporation exist, and populace never more happy or slovenly."

Outcome 6: The banning of private enterprise has united all in poverty. [Institutes national policy of Communism]

Title: Focal Seizure

Validity: Only available to nations with free-market economies.

The Issue: An employee of one of the nation's largest technology firms, Dam-E-Diodes, left the company and began constructing his own corporation, Maiygo-Hertz. Dam-E-Diodes is attempting to legally seize the newer corporation and its assets, citing theft of its intellectual property, given a non-disclosure agreement signed by its former employee. The resulting economic fallout has propelled the issue past the usual bureaucracy, and directly onto your desk.

Option 1: "These barbaric 'contracts' and 'agreements' are an insult to hardworking citizens such as myself!" opines @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, the former employee in question, while trading stocks off of his proprietary Dam-E-Diodes-brand mobile device. "According to this agreement, all of my 'thoughts, DNA, and derivative works' are company property. These corporations survive because of the efforts of employees, not some bigshot in upper management! Prohibiting employees from using knowledge gathered from work in a single corporation limits competition to large corporations, and prevents us from using our skills to full effect. The national economy would immensely benefit if you abolished these agreements, allowing us to- SELL! SELL! SELL!"

Outcome 1: Thousands of identical products are sold under different brands.

Option 2: "Have you even considered the ramifications of eliminating non-disclosure agreements on our bottom line?" interjects @@RANDOMNAME@@, aforementioned bigshot in upper management, flanked by a dozen high-priced lawyers. "You must understand the sheer number of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ we invest in Research and development efforts every year. Why, Dam-E-Diodes spends nearly 1.5% of our quarterly earnings on R&D! All of that effort becomes meaningless if any competitor can just take our work without consequences; no sane executive would even bother with R&D. Banning these agreements will only lead to economic stagnation, and cause @@NAME@@ to lose its competitive footing within @@REGION@@. Allow us broad authority to protect our IP through any means necessary, and I'll ensure that some of the earnings find their way back to you."

Outcome 2: Citizens are known to pay employers for the privilege of working for them.

Option 3: Friend, obvious solution cannot elude you", proclaims @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, self-appointed man of the people. "Corporate system cleary corrupt; does nothing but steal and partition national wealth. Company abuses talent of workers, so workers revolt. Eradicate corporate system, and bring market under control of the people. In glorious homeland, wealth redistributed to people long ago, and people never more happy or slovenly."

Outcome 3: Former CEOs can be seen huddled around trashcan fires. [Institutes national policy of Communism]

Draft 2 Update:
    Condensed options from 6 to 3.
    Removed unnecessary wording.
    Brought remaining options more in line with original focus of the issue.
Last edited by Terminus Lambda on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:36 am, edited 7 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:38 pm

Terminus Lambda wrote:The Issue: An employee of one of the nation's largest technology firms, Dam-E-Diodes, left the company and began using corporate resources to construct his own corporation, Path-E-TechPheft, which has since consumed the majority of the nation's @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ sector.
Diodes are useful in Basket Weaving and Cheese Exports? Who knew?

..Don't first assert the firm is in a particular sector ("technology firms") and then have it take over @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ that might be anything.

Also, where did you get these corporation names from anyway? Are they some kind of pun? If so, I'm not getting it (other than "pheft").

Also, don't mix up using corporate resources with using corporate knowledge. The latter is far more likely. The ex-employee won't have access to his old corporation's material resources, but he'll still remember his training and various details about the designs of the corporation's products.

Terminus Lambda wrote:Option 2: "What they call an insult, I call brand loyalty",
Brand loyalty normally refers to customers consistently buying from the same brand, not to employees being loyal to their employers.

That's just what I feel like pointing out. I'll let someone else clean up the rest...

Terminus Lambda
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Lambda » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Terminus Lambda wrote:The Issue: An employee of one of the nation's largest technology firms, Dam-E-Diodes, left the company and began using corporate resources to construct his own corporation, Path-E-TechPheft, which has since consumed the majority of the nation's @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ sector.
Diodes are useful in Basket Weaving and Cheese Exports? Who knew?

..Don't first assert the firm is in a particular sector ("technology firms") and then have it take over @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ that might be anything.

Also, where did you get these corporation names from anyway? Are they some kind of pun? If so, I'm not getting it (other than "pheft").

Also, don't mix up using corporate resources with using corporate knowledge. The latter is far more likely. The ex-employee won't have access to his old corporation's material resources, but he'll still remember his training and various details about the designs of the corporation's products.

Terminus Lambda wrote:Option 2: "What they call an insult, I call brand loyalty",
Brand loyalty normally refers to customers consistently buying from the same brand, not to employees being loyal to their employers.

That's just what I feel like pointing out. I'll let someone else clean up the rest...

"Damn Idiots" and "Pathetic Theft", though they are admittedly pretty terrible.

I'll start making the appropriate changes.

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam
Envoy

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ab Humanitatis Scientiam » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Diodes are useful in ...Cheese Exports? Who knew?

According to the Google, a company called Giggalaser makes a CHEESE (TM) dental diode laser system.

I imagine a 5-20W soft-tissue disruptor would slice a block of cheddar just as well, so it's actually not that crazy.

Although, I would still remove the reference to @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ simply because it is extraneous information that doesn't really effect the essential point of the issue -- Dam-E-Diodes jackin' Path-E-Tech's stuff:

The Issue: An employee of one of the nation's largest technology firms, Dam-E-Diodes, left the company and began using corporate resources to construct his own corporation, Path-E-TechPheft. which has since consumed the majority of the nation's @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ sector. Dam-E-Diodes is attempting to legally seize the newer corporation and its assets, citing theft of its intellectual property, given a non-disclosure agreement signed by its former employee. The resulting economic fallout has propelled the issue past the usual bureaucracy, and directly onto your desk.
Last edited by Ab Humanitatis Scientiam on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ab Humanitatis Scientiam » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:01 pm

So let's sketch out the gist of the options arguments (if only to make sure I'm reading them correctly)

Option 1: Workers are entitled to the products of their own labor, even if it means using someone else's ideas.

Option 2: Companies are entitled to protect their intellectual property, even if it means restricting former employee's actions.

Option 3: Monopolies are bad (?)

Option 4: Insane Room 101 option just because (?)

Option 5: All hail @@LEADER@@ just because; or, Option 4 redux (?)

Option 6: Avoid economic disputes by destroying economy; or, to hell with the baby and its goddamned bathwater.

OK.

So...

Options 1, 2, and 6 actually seem to have something to do with the issue as hand, per the issue description. In a dispute over intellectual property and non-disclosure agreements, one could take the position that:

1) economic value is produced by labor, which should be protected even if it means intellectual property is weakened. And perhaps doing so will mean more and healthier competition in the market, which means more and better products at lower prices, etc. OR
2) economic value is produced by capital, including intellectual property, which should be protected even if it means labor is weakened. Companies invest a lot in research and development, and ought to be able to recoup those costs with a protected revenue stream. Letting competitors swoop in and steal ideas without having to pay for the R&D is unfair. OR
3) The problem is capitalism itself, which divides labor and capital into inevitably and perpetually waring interests at the mercy of the ruling class. The solution is the glorious people's republic of @@NAME@@. @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ of the @@REGION@@ you have naught to loose but your diodes wired in series. Like a chain.

Options 3, 4, and 5 should go away, and 1, 2, and 6 should be reworked to capture the above arguments more closely.

Then make them silly. Without losing the above arguments.

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ab Humanitatis Scientiam » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Terminus Lambda wrote:I am very new to writing issues, so any criticism or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

You should probably start writing an issue by opening Notepad or a similar text editor on your computer and beginning with your zeroeth draft.

This draft should read like a flowchart in a political science textbook. Super dry and boring. Not even remotely funny. No satire, no clever word play.

Just a barebones ideological argument, with honestly described and assessed positions. So, taking the above as an example.

Draft Zero

[title]Intellectual Property and Non-Disclosure Agreements

[description]Is the intellectual property of a company compatible with the freedom of action of individuals? Should an employer be able to compel someone to not act on a piece of knowledge even after the employer/employee relationship has ended?

[option] NO. Economic value is produced by labor, which should be protected even if it means intellectual property is weakened. And perhaps doing so will mean more and healthier competition in the market, which means more and better products at lower prices, etc. Abolish non-disclosure agreements.

[option] YES. Economic value is produced by capital, including intellectual property, which should be protected even if it means labor is weakened. Companies invest a lot in research and development, and ought to be able to recoup those costs with a protected revenue stream. Letting competitors swoop in and steal ideas without having to pay for the R&D is unfair. Keep non-disclosure agreements.

[option] The problem is capitalism itself, which divides labor and capital into inevitably and perpetually waring interests at the mercy of the ruling class. A social and/or planned economy (whether in the form of direct worker ownership, or ownership by the state) obviates the problem by removing the aforementioned alienation. Where property -- real and intellectual -- belongs to all, all are free to labor and benefit from it. Abolish capitalism.

Basically a final exam essay. A total snoozefest. But you've got the basic skeleton of a sensible (and hopefully interesting) political debate. Transforming each of the above options into a dialog with characters should be relatively straightforward (Draft Zeroeth the Second). Then (and only then!) add wordplay and clever jokes (Son of Draft Zero: The Nullification).

Then, once you've checked your spelling and wrapped it in a nice bow: Draft One.
Last edited by Ab Humanitatis Scientiam on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:34 am

AHS has hit the nail on the head. You're clearly an educated and intelligent writer, but what you need here is a little more showmanship.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Terminus Lambda
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Lambda » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:57 am

I have updated the opening post with a revision of the first draft, eliminating unnecessary options and reworking the remaining ones to be more in line with the focus of the issue.

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ab Humanitatis Scientiam » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Terminus Lambda wrote:Outcome 2: Citizens are known to pay employers for the privilege of working for them.

It's funny because it actually pretty true.

Terminus Lambda wrote:Option 3: Friend, obvious solution cannot elude you", proclaims @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, self-appointed man of the people. "Corporate system cleary corrupt; does nothing but steal and partition national wealth. Company abuses talent of workers, so workers revolt. Eradicate corporate system, and bring market under control of the people. In glorious homeland, wealth redistributed to people long ago, and people never more happy or slovenly."

Outcome 3: The banning of private enterprise has united all in poverty. [Institutes national policy of Communism][/spoiler]

Might want to make the economic consequences more subtle then just stating "HA! now you're poor!" outright. At the very least, non-/anti-capitalist economic powerhouses are a thing, so...

Terminus Lambda
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Lambda » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam wrote:Might want to make the economic consequences more subtle then just stating "HA! now you're poor!" outright. At the very least, non-/anti-capitalist economic powerhouses are a thing, so...

Former CEOs can be seen huddled around trashcan fires.

-or-

Many former abusive executives are now underlings to their former employees.

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ab Humanitatis Scientiam » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:27 pm

in Soviet @@NAME@@, patent owns you

Terminus Lambda
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Lambda » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam wrote:in communist @@NAME@@, patent owns you

This issue doesn't really regard patent ownership, though I see how the two are related.

Mostly though, it's very clunky. Following new legislation in Terminus Lambda, in soviet Terminus Lambda, patent owns you.
Last edited by Terminus Lambda on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:52 pm

What exactly was stolen? Why is this a matter for a leader as opposed to a magistrate?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Terminus Lambda
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Lambda » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:What exactly was stolen? Why is this a matter for a leader as opposed to a magistrate?

No material resources were stolen. A corporation is attempting to seize the assets of another due to their founder, who once worker for the former corporation, signing a non-disclosure agreement. This is only on @@LEADER@@'s desk due to severe market fluctuation due to speculation, as both corporations are presumably very large and influential.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?