NATION

PASSWORD

Objective vs Subjective Morality

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:02 am

Theris Carencia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Actually no that is not what I was pointing to at all. The definition of objective is "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts." A god dictating morals is thus not objective because the god's opinions and feeling are what determine what those morals are and thus by definition it is subjective.

I have no idea how you got to the Euthyphro dilemma from my original comment.

When I've run into the "if God makes up morality, doesn't that make it subjective?" line of argument, I've always seen it called the Euthyphro dilemma.

Next time try not to act as smug when responding.

Given that the Dialogue (which is traditionally cited when arguments of the variety you presented are brought up) has a much more cutting challenge to the notion of religion than the mere dancing around with "what the gods love" at the beginning, I felt it justified to give you a bit of a hard time about it.

My hope was that, with a little bit of poking from myself, you would consult the original, notice the (rather obvious) fundamental challenge to religion which I was referring, and come back armed for a serious debate with a raised standard of discourse. That presumed that you'd a) take my flippant comment as good natured ribbing rather than flame baiting, and b) be interested in taking up the more fundamental question of whether piety even makes sense as a virtue.

Obviously I was mistaken about a, and so I apologize for any offense I have caused.

How do you feel about b?

Oh also funny thing, this was my opinion even when I was a theist.

I'm still a theist, and it's my opinion as well. You'll note that most of my arguments regarding the nature of morality take a "natural law" approach rather than a "divine command" approach.

Sorry for mistaking your writing as smug. I should not have done that.My comment was not about where morality originates (ie gods is moral because it is the moral, or whether is is moral because it is loved by the god), but rather with the definitions involved. I have defined morality as the opinion of how people should interact with each other and the world around them, and as such it is by definition subjective. Nothing more and nothing less then that. Since I have defined morality as opinion on how people should interact with each other and the world around them, even if a god states their morality it is still subjective. It has nothing to do with the dilemma itself. If you use a different definition of morality, then it is very possible that morality is objective, but then you are talking about something different then what I am talking about. For instance if you define morality as the dictates of a god, then morality is objective should the god actually dictate something since those dictates exist whether or not a mind is there to perceive them.

As to piety being a virtue...oddly enough I am having an issue finding a good definition of piety. Hmm I believe devotion to religious observances is pretty close to what is meant. Using this, I do not view piety in and of itself as a virtue,rather there are things that are considered pious (feeding the hungry caring for the sick etc) that I consider virtues but the part that involved devotion to god, no I don't see that as necessarily a virtue.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Infinite Coscotlan
Attaché

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Infinite Coscotlan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:43 am

36 Camera Perspective wrote:
Infinite Coscotlan wrote:Flex more, it only reveals how little you lift.

Morality is either mind-independent, including of the mind of any omniscient creature, or mind-dependent, in which case even an omniscient creature has nothing objective to know about it.

This is a common misinterpretation I see in ethical discussions. You don't actually understand what "mind-independent" means in philosophy. Hint: it doesn't mean "unrelated to mind in any kind of way". A proposition can be mind-independently true and still cognized through a subject; mind-independence just means that this proposition would still be true regardless of whether or not the subject cognizes of it or not. We can speak of "mind-dependent" in the subjective sense of "generated by a mind's activity", like pain, or we can speak of "mind-dependent" in the sense of "its existence indicates the existence of a mind". God's morality is not mind-dependent in the first sense because god's morality is not generated by his mind's activity, but by his very nature. God's morality is mind-dependent in the second sense, but this is not the subjective sense of mind-dependence. Many things indicate the existence of a mind yet still possess objective reality.

Let us posit the existence of five omniscient gods - from which of them does objective morality stem, if it is indeed dependent on gods?

First of all, my contention isn't that objective morality depends on god. My contention is that if god existed, his moral prescriptions would be objective. I don't know why conditional statements can be so challenging to some people, but anyway..let's not posit the existence of five omniscient gods, because god contains an infinite number of attributes with an infinite number of modes, so there can only be one god at the end of the day. But regardless, I'll still play along with your embarrassing, poorly constructed argument (?). You are still failing to consider the role of omnibenevolence in the standard theistic account of ethics. God's omniscience alone isn't what makes his prescriptions objective.

And appeal to history is a tired trope, at best. You can spend millions of years arguing a case, and it will be for nothing if the notion is logically overturned in a single day.

I didn't know you had such a dim view of history. But while it is possible to overturn years of argument in a single day, the history of the discussion on this issue will show you that you yourself haven't come anywhere close to that.

First define "omnibenevolence" and "god's nature"; but before you do that, prove those terms are even meaningful (truth-apt) to begin with. Until then, you are merely soiling the bed here.
Do your homework. Do it well. That guy over in Tibet will be observing.

"Imagination always trumps reality. Therefore, we banned nuclear winter to save you the disappointment." -High Troll of State

Ramdom state wrote:I wouldn't trust Infinite Coscotlan with a fork. I would definitely get backstabbed, get no help at all, or something even worse that I can't think of.

Silvedania wrote:I suggest you guys check out Infinite Coscotlan's overview factbook. Very detailed.

Comerciante wrote:They have hidden all their special sauces and stuff behind obscurity. Truly a horrifying nation.

Montevento wrote:Overview? I feel cheated and betrayed. I actually did click on every factbook expecting to eventually see an overview.

36 Camera Perspective
Minister

Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby 36 Camera Perspective » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:46 am

Omnibenvolence: look at the fucking root words.
God's nature: god's essence
Power, power, the law of the land
Those living for death
Will die by their own hand

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:07 am

36 Camera Perspective wrote:Omnibenvolence: look at the fucking root words.

1. Language
2. So you believe in objective morality?

36 Camera Perspective
Minister

Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby 36 Camera Perspective » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:33 am

Cute Puppies wrote:
36 Camera Perspective wrote:Omnibenvolence: look at the fucking root words.

1. Language
2. So you believe in objective morality?

Yup.
Power, power, the law of the land
Those living for death
Will die by their own hand

Novskya
Attaché

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Novskya » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:44 pm

Hey guys, if you're still on this forum and you see this, lemme tell ya something:
This was cursed from the start. Shoutout to 36 Camera and Theris Carencia for being g's and possibly others i didn't see who were somewhat philosophically literate but also the other people who took time to respond to them, even if I think they're absolutely wrong.

I at least learned something from this debate: Moral Subjectivists are infuriating (PLEASE READ A BOOK ON MORALITY) and the moral subjectivists here gave really, really bad arguments. But hey, live and learn. And I also learned that atheists have a really wack notion of God. Like, really wack. (Biased? Yeah)

The Right of Might
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Right of Might » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Novskya wrote:Hey guys, if you're still on this forum and you see this, lemme tell ya something:
This was cursed from the start. Shoutout to 36 Camera and Theris Carencia for being g's and possibly others i didn't see who were somewhat philosophically literate but also the other people who took time to respond to them, even if I think they're absolutely wrong.

I at least learned something from this debate: Moral Subjectivists are infuriating (PLEASE READ A BOOK ON MORALITY) and the moral subjectivists here gave really, really bad arguments. But hey, live and learn. And I also learned that atheists have a really wack notion of God. Like, really wack. (Biased? Yeah)

thanks, me

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General