NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] All Hands On Tap!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

[SUBMITTED] All Hands On Tap!

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:30 am

Draft 3

[description]Hoping to enjoy a quiet afternoon at your office after a busy week full of Cabinet meetings, you are startled by the sudden sight of @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, your Minister of Health, who has rushed in without even knocking on the door. @@HE_1@@ is flushed with indignation, and is obsessively rubbing @@HIS_1@@ hands with an antibacterial wet wipe, making you feel that @@HE_1@@ will again complain that @@NAME@@'s bathroom hygiene practices have gone right down the drain.

[validity]all

1. [option]"Oh, this is a public health disaster, @@LEADER@@!" your Health Minister clamours, proceeding to take a pair of rubber gloves out of @@HIS_1@@ pocket and slip them on before grasping your hands in supplication. "I was in the restroom just a moment ago, and what should I see there? A vile, vulgar villain who left the stall and strode straight away! And this is the third time this week I have seen this disgusting behaviour. @@LEADER@@, we should install security cameras in all public restrooms and fine the people who do not wash their hands after using the toilet! This is an emergency!"

[effect]teachers across @@NAME@@ have noticed a big drop in the number of students asking for permission to go to the bathroom

2. [option]"Excuse me: a villain?" asks Morgan @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your secretary, brushing dandruff off your shoulder and blowing a raspberry at your Health Minister. "For your information, I am the villain that @@HE_1@@ complains about, and I did not wash my hands. So what? This whole bathroom-hygiene thing is overhyped, if you ask me. Everyone knows that door handles and money have more germs on them than a human bottom, yet nobody washes their hands after touching those. In fact, I think coming into contact with germs probably boosts our immune system. So just let us be, @@LEADER@@!"

[effect]handshaking is no longer a part of greeting etiquette in @@NAME@@

3. [option]"This is gross!" grunts your mom, who came to your office unannounced to bring you brownies for your afternoon tea. "My little darling, we talked about this. Wash, wash, wash your hands; wash those germs away. Soap and water do the trick to keep them clean all day. Remember? But installing cameras in bathrooms goes too far. I think you should instead equip all public bathrooms with speakers that play songs and chant slogans about the importance of hand hygiene round-the-clock. It helped you develop your healthy hand-washing habits; it'll surely help other citizens as well."

[effect]it is easy to recognize constipated people by checking their ears for earplugs

DRAFT 2

[description]Hoping to enjoy a quiet afternoon at your office after a busy week full of Cabinet meetings, you are startled by the sudden sight of @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, your Minister of Health, who has rushed in without even knocking on the door. @@HE_1@@ appears to be flushed with indignation, and is obsessively rubbing @@HIS_1@@ hands with an antibacterial wet wipe, presumably after yet another distressing encounter in the bathroom with people who did not wash their hands - for the third time this week.

[validity]all

1. [option]"Oh, this is a public health disaster, @@LEADER@@!" your Health Minister clamours, proceeding to take a pair of rubber gloves out of @@HIS_1@@ pocket and slip them on before grasping your hands in supplication. "I was in the restroom just a moment ago, and what should I see there? A vile, vulgar villain who left the stall and strode straight away! @@NAME@@'s bathroom hygiene practices have gone right down the drain! @@LEADER@@, we should install security cameras in all public restrooms and fine the people who do not wash their hands after using the toilet! This is an emergency!"

[effect]teachers across @@NAME@@ have noticed a big drop in the number of students asking for permission to go to the bathroom

2. [option]"Excuse me: a villain?" asks Morgan @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your secretary, brushing dandruff off your shoulder and blowing a raspberry at your Health Minister. "For your information, I am the villain that @@HE_1@@ complains about, and I did not wash my hands. So what? This whole bathroom-hygiene thing is overhyped, if you ask me. Everyone knows that door handles and money have more germs on them than a human bottom, yet nobody washes their hands after touching those. In fact, I think coming into contact with germs probably boosts our immune system. So just let us be, @@LEADER@@!"

[effect]pre-packaged sandwiches are the new favorite snacks of hygiene-conscious citizens

3. [option]"This is gross!" grunts your mom, who came to your office unannounced to bring you brownies for your afternoon tea. "My little darling, we talked about this. Wash, wash, wash your hands; wash those germs away. Soap and water do the trick to keep them clean all day. Remember? But installing cameras in bathrooms goes too far. I think you should instead equip all public bathrooms with speakers that play songs and chant slogans about the importance of hand hygiene round-the-clock. It helped you develop your healthy hand-washing habits; it'll surely help other citizens as well."

[effect]it is easy to recognize constipated people by checking their ears for earplugs

[description]You were hoping to enjoy a quiet afternoon at your office after a busy week full of cabinet meetings when you were startled at the sudden sight of @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, your Minister of Health, who rushed in without even knocking on the door. @@HE_1@@ has turned completely white in the face, and is obsessively rubbing @@HIS_1@@ hands with an antibacterial wet wipe.

[validity]all

1. [option]"Oh, this is a public health disaster, @@LEADER@@!" @@HE_1@@ clamours, proceeding to take a pair of rubber gloves out of @@HIS_1@@ pocket and slipping them on before grasping your hands in supplication. "I was in the restroom just a moment ago, and what should I see there? A vile, vulgar villain who left the stall and strode straight away! And this is the third time this week I have seen this disgusting behaviour. Our people seem to have stopped caring about cleanliness! @@LEADER@@, we should all be installing security cameras in public restrooms and fine the people who do not wash their hands after using the toilet! This is an emergency!"

2. [option]"Excuse me, a villain?" asks Morgan @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your secretary, brushing dandruff off your shoulder and blowing a raspberry at your health minister. "For your information, I am the villain that @@HE_1@@ complains about, and I did not wash my hands, so what? This whole bathroom-hygiene thing is overhyped, if you ask me. Everyone knows that door handles and money have more germs on them than a human bottom, yet nobody washes their hands after touching them. In fact, I think coming into contact with germs probably boosts up our immune system. So just let us be, @@LEADER@@!"

[effect]pre-packed sandwiches are the new favorite snacks of the @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@

3. [option]"This is gross!" grunts your mom, who came to your office unannounced to bring you brownies for your afternoon tea. "My little darling, we talked about this. Wash, wash, wash your hands, wash those germs away. Soap and water does the trick, to keep them clean all day. Remember? But installing cameras in bathrooms goes too far. I think you should instead equip all public bathrooms with speakers that play songs and chant slogans about the importance of hand hygiene round-the-clock. It had helped you gain a healthy hand-washing habit, it'll surely help other citizens as well."

[effect]it is easy to recognize constipated people by checking if they are wearing earplugs
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:29 am

The disappointment that this isn't called "All Hands On Tap" knows no bounds. :p

In all honesty though, this is exactly the sort of light-hearted NS issue draft that we all know and love. The problem I have with it though is that this just seems a bit too silly. The entire premise revolves around a single person not washing hands.

Also, I'm assuming that the minister is also male? Because not everyone has mixed sex bathrooms.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:34 am

Chan Island wrote:The disappointment that this isn't called "All Hands On Tap" knows no bounds. :p

Hey, I can change it!

In all honesty though, this is exactly the sort of light-hearted NS issue draft that we all know and love. The problem I have with it though is that this just seems a bit too silly. The entire premise revolves around a single person not washing hands.

I thought about giving a survey result in the beginning, saying something like "a survey showed that over 50% of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ do not wash their hands after using the toilet," but I quite dislike those monotonous beginnings. :(

Maybe the health minister should also hint that this is not the only instance where s/he saw someone not washing their hands.

Also, I'm assuming that the minister is also male? Because not everyone has mixed sex bathrooms.

I thought Max was a unisex name??? That's why I chose it. Isn't it used as a woman's name as well?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:42 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Chan Island wrote:The disappointment that this isn't called "All Hands On Tap" knows no bounds. :p

Hey, I can change it!

I thought about giving a survey result in the beginning, saying something like "a survey showed that over 50% of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ do not wash their hands after using the toilet," but I quite dislike those monotonous beginnings. :(

Maybe the health minister should also hint that this is not the only instance where s/he saw someone not washing their hands.

I thought Max was a unisex name??? That's why I chose it. Isn't it used as a woman's name as well?

My delight at this new title also knows no bounds! :p

Hm, perhaps, and your suggestion is a very good one. Have the minister say something along the lines that this is the 3rd time this week they have seen this disgusting behaviour.

Max is a unisex name? That's news to me.... though in fairness, that doesn't quite fall into my expertise so I'll let you make the call.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:48 am

Chan Island wrote:
Hey, I can change it!

Hm, perhaps, and your suggestion is a very good one. Have the minister say something along the lines that this is the 3rd time this week they have seen this disgusting behaviour.

Max is a unisex name? That's news to me.... though in fairness, that doesn't quite fall into my expertise so I'll let you make the call.

Alright, I implemented your suggestion about the minister saying that s/he witnessed this behaviour for the 3rd time this week.

Also, I thought Max was a unisex name, because there was this comedy series entitled Two Broke Girls, and one of the girls was named Max. It seems it is a short form of Maxine.

But whatever, I changed it to Morgan. Is this more easily recognized as a unisex name now?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:50 am

Chan Island wrote:

Alright, I implemented your suggestion about the minister saying that s/he witnessed this behaviour for the 3rd time this week.

Also, I thought Max was a unisex name, because there was this comedy series entitled Two Broke Girls, and one of the girls was named Max. It seems it is a short form of Maxine.

But whatever, I changed it to Morgan. Is this more easily recognized as a unisex name now?

As things stand, I quite like this new draft. Will come back to critique this in much more depth when I'm not completely hammered though :rofl:

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:brushing dandruff off of your shoulder

'Of' isn't needed here.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:My little darling, we have talked about this years ago

Should be: we talked about this, because of the time frame use.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:[effect]it is easy to recognize constipated people by checking if they are wearing earplugs

I don't get this one, what's the connection between people not washing their hands (those I assume to be wearing earplugs) and constipation?

Nice issue here F & F!

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:41 am

Baggieland wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:brushing dandruff off of your shoulder

'Of' isn't needed here.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:My little darling, we have talked about this years ago

Should be: we talked about this, because of the time frame use.

Done and done.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:[effect]it is easy to recognize constipated people by checking if they are wearing earplugs

I don't get this one, what's the connection between people not washing their hands (those I assume to be wearing earplugs) and constipation?

Nice issue here F & F!

No, the option suggests playing songs and slogans about hand-washing in public restrooms 24/7. The idea is that listening to this would be particularly unbearable if you are constipated, and have to sit on the toilet for a longer time ;) Hence, the earplugs.

Thank you!

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:51 am

I like this issue, but I'd like it even more if by the end of the opening description we'd established what the issue was about. Imparting that information in option 1 instead isn't verboten, but in my mind is a weaker approach for Nationstates, as people should be able to decide whether an issue interests them or not before they even start the options.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam
Envoy

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ab Humanitatis Scientiam » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I thought about giving a survey result in the beginning, saying something like "a survey showed that over 50% of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ do not wash their hands after using the toilet," but I quite dislike those monotonous beginnings. :(

I'm reminded of a study and/or urban legend from grade schools concerning whether the boys or girls were more gross. An enterprising student, as a science fair project, cultivated petrie dishes containing swab samples from the sinks in the boy's and girl's restrooms.

When the boy's sample grew eyes and threatened to escape the dish, it was concluded that boys are dirtier. The counterargument was, however, that the boy's sinks were dirtier cause they washed their hands more frequently. Ergo, boys are actually cleaner.

Anywho. Mayhaps instead of "boys vs. girls" this could be framed as an international incident between delegations from @@NAME@@ and Maxtopia, or something. Seems like the kind of silly thing delegates would waste time on.
Last edited by Ab Humanitatis Scientiam on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:49 pm

Effect for option 2- so this doesn't apply to food handlers?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Esterild
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 28, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Esterild » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:13 pm

I like this issue! I don't quite get the effect on option 2.

Minor grammar and wording edits. My changes are in red. In a lot of cases, I just added capitalization or changed a punctuation mark.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Hoping to enjoy a quiet afternoon at your office after a busy week full of Cabinet meetings, you are startled by the sudden sight of @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, your Minister of Health, who has rushed in without even knocking on the door. @@HIS_1@@ face has turned completely white, and @@HE_1@@ is obsessively rubbing @@HIS_1@@ hands with an antibacterial wet wipe.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:1. [option]"Oh, this is a public health disaster, @@LEADER@@!" @@HE_1@@ clamours, proceeding to take a pair of rubber gloves out of @@HIS_1@@ pocket and slip them on before grasping your hands in supplication. "I was in the restroom just a moment ago, and what should I see there? A vile, vulgar villain who left the stall and strode straight away! And this is the third time this week I have seen this disgusting behaviour. Our people seem to have stopped caring about cleanliness! @@LEADER@@, we should install security cameras in all public restrooms and fine the people who do not wash their hands after using the toilet! This is an emergency!"

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:2. [option]"Excuse me: a villain?" asks Morgan @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your secretary, brushing dandruff off your shoulder and blowing a raspberry at your Health Minister. "For your information, I am the villain that @@HE_1@@ complains about, and I did not wash my hands. So what? This whole bathroom-hygiene thing is overhyped, if you ask me. Everyone knows that door handles and money have more germs on them than a human bottom, yet nobody washes their hands after touching those. In fact, I think coming into contact with germs probably boosts up our immune system. So just let us be, @@LEADER@@!"

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:3. [option]"This is gross!" grunts your mom, who came to your office unannounced to bring you brownies for your afternoon tea. "My little darling, we talked about this. Wash, wash, wash your hands; wash those germs away. Soap and water do the trick to keep them clean all day. Remember? But installing cameras in bathrooms goes too far. I think you should instead equip all public bathrooms with speakers that play songs and chant slogans about the importance of hand hygiene round-the-clock. It helped you develop your healthy hand-washing habits; it'll surely help other citizens as well."

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:[effect]it is easy to recognize constipated people by checking their ears for earplugs

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I like this issue, but I'd like it even more if by the end of the opening description we'd established what the issue was about. Imparting that information in option 1 instead isn't verboten, but in my mind is a weaker approach for Nationstates, as people should be able to decide whether an issue interests them or not before they even start the options.

Thank you. I have transferred some information (about the Health Minister witnessing this behavior for the 3rd time this week) from Option 1 to the description. I hope it is better now?

Australian rePublic wrote:Effect for option 2- so this doesn't apply to food handlers?

Well, no, never mind. I see why it was confusing. What I meant was that pre-packaged sandwiches (which I assume to be packed by an automated machine, and please let me know if there is a specific English adjective to describe food items that have been packed automatically) would be preferred by hygiene-conscious citizens, as in a country where hand-washing is not promoted and where people don't have the habit of regularly washing their hands... well, I'm guessing eating out wouldn't be very popular, right?

I re-worded the effect line a bit to make my point clearer.

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I thought about giving a survey result in the beginning, saying something like "a survey showed that over 50% of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ do not wash their hands after using the toilet," but I quite dislike those monotonous beginnings. :(

I'm reminded of a study and/or urban legend from grade schools concerning whether the boys or girls were more gross. An enterprising student, as a science fair project, cultivated petrie dishes containing swab samples from the sinks in the boy's and girl's restrooms.

When the boy's sample grew eyes and threatened to escape the dish, it was concluded that boys are dirtier. The counterargument was, however, that the boy's sinks were dirtier cause they washed their hands more frequently. Ergo, boys are actually cleaner.

Anywho. Mayhaps instead of "boys vs. girls" this could be framed as an international incident between delegations from @@NAME@@ and Maxtopia, or something. Seems like the kind of silly thing delegates would waste time on.

Thank you for this! Brilliant idea, to be honest, but I was reluctant to implement it. First of all, it will require me to change the direction of the narrative quite radically, and secondly, one previous issue has a very similar option, I am afraid. (There was one issue where @@LEADER@@ attends an international meeting where the Prime Minister of Brancaland does not shake his/her hand, and in one option we see a hygiene-obsessed person who tells @@LEADER@@ that s/he should be happy about it, because who knows what germs are to be found on the hands of the Prime Minister? I know this is different, but there are some thematic correspondences, like theme of an international meeting, and the theme of hand hygiene, etc. So I had reservations about that. But thank you very much for making this suggestion. I really appreciate it, and it was a truly good one.)
Esterild wrote:I like this issue! I don't quite get the effect on option 2.

Minor grammar and wording edits. My changes are in red. In a lot of cases, I just added capitalization or changed a punctuation mark.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Hoping to enjoy a quiet afternoon at your office after a busy week full of Cabinet meetings, you are startled by the sudden sight of @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, your Minister of Health, who has rushed in without even knocking on the door. @@HIS_1@@ face has turned completely white, and @@HE_1@@ is obsessively rubbing @@HIS_1@@ hands with an antibacterial wet wipe.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:1. [option]"Oh, this is a public health disaster, @@LEADER@@!" @@HE_1@@ clamours, proceeding to take a pair of rubber gloves out of @@HIS_1@@ pocket and slip them on before grasping your hands in supplication. "I was in the restroom just a moment ago, and what should I see there? A vile, vulgar villain who left the stall and strode straight away! And this is the third time this week I have seen this disgusting behaviour. Our people seem to have stopped caring about cleanliness! @@LEADER@@, we should install security cameras in all public restrooms and fine the people who do not wash their hands after using the toilet! This is an emergency!"

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:2. [option]"Excuse me: a villain?" asks Morgan @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your secretary, brushing dandruff off your shoulder and blowing a raspberry at your Health Minister. "For your information, I am the villain that @@HE_1@@ complains about, and I did not wash my hands. So what? This whole bathroom-hygiene thing is overhyped, if you ask me. Everyone knows that door handles and money have more germs on them than a human bottom, yet nobody washes their hands after touching those. In fact, I think coming into contact with germs probably boosts up our immune system. So just let us be, @@LEADER@@!"

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:3. [option]"This is gross!" grunts your mom, who came to your office unannounced to bring you brownies for your afternoon tea. "My little darling, we talked about this. Wash, wash, wash your hands; wash those germs away. Soap and water do the trick to keep them clean all day. Remember? But installing cameras in bathrooms goes too far. I think you should instead equip all public bathrooms with speakers that play songs and chant slogans about the importance of hand hygiene round-the-clock. It helped you develop your healthy hand-washing habits; it'll surely help other citizens as well."

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:[effect]it is easy to recognize constipated people by checking their ears for earplugs

Thank you, Esterild! I loved your grammar & wording edits. All implemented.

Cheers,

FuF

(Any more comments?)
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Esterild
Spokesperson

Democratic Socialists

Postby Esterild » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Thank you. I have transferred some information (about the Health Minister witnessing this behavior for the 3rd time this week) from Option 1 to the description. I hope it is better now?

I would recommend a little change to the way you have it worded. How about:

"... an antibacterial wet wipe. He complains that @@NATION@@'s bathroom hygiene practices have gone right down the drain."

I overlooked a minor nitpick: you don't need "up" after "boosts" in the second option.

In the third option, there should be a semicolon and not a comma after "It helped you develop your healthy hand-washing habits."

Also, if you feel like being extra-punny, maybe instead of having a completely white face your Health Minister could be "flushed" with indignation. Heh.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 am

Esterild wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Thank you. I have transferred some information (about the Health Minister witnessing this behavior for the 3rd time this week) from Option 1 to the description. I hope it is better now?

I would recommend a little change to the way you have it worded. How about:

"... an antibacterial wet wipe. He complains that @@NATION@@'s bathroom hygiene practices have gone right down the drain."

I overlooked a minor nitpick: you don't need "up" after "boosts" in the second option.

In the third option, there should be a semicolon and not a comma after "It helped you develop your healthy hand-washing habits."

Also, if you feel like being extra-punny, maybe instead of having a completely white face your Health Minister could be "flushed" with indignation. Heh.

Yeah, thanks, I implemented your suggestions, though not without some differences here and there. But thank you.

I incorporated those changes in the current draft, as they were rather minor.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:02 am

As usual F&F, a good draft here.

[description]Hoping to enjoy a quiet afternoon at your office after a busy week full of Cabinet meetings, you are startled by the sudden sight of @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, your Minister of Health, who has rushed in without even knocking on the door. @@HE_1@@ appears to be flushed with indignation, and is obsessively rubbing @@HIS_1@@ hands with an antibacterial wet wipe, presumably after yet another distressing encounter in the bathroom with people who did not wash their hands - for the third time this week.

Last sentence could do with perhaps flipping a bit? A little clumsy as it stands. Perhaps:

@@HE_1@@ appears to be flushed with indignation, and is obsessively rubbing @@HIS_1@@ hands with an antibacterial wet wipe, presumably making it the third time this week he has had a distressing encounter in the bathroom with people who did not wash their hands.

Although now I look at it maybe not... still, the "third time this week" bit feels like it should come first somehow.

1. [option]"Oh, this is a public health disaster, @@LEADER@@!" your Health Minister clamours, proceeding to take a pair of rubber gloves out of @@HIS_1@@ pocket and slip them on before grasping your hands in supplication. "I was in the restroom just a moment ago, and what should I see there? A vile, vulgar villain who left the stall and strode straight away! @@NAME@@'s bathroom hygiene practices have gone right down the drain! @@LEADER@@, we should install security cameras in all public restrooms and fine the people who do not wash their hands after using the toilet! This is an emergency!"

I'm reminded of this.... https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/1e/b9 ... 99d898.jpg

Perhaps something along these lines? Public shaming of those who don't wash after they go?

[effect]pre-packaged sandwiches are the new favorite snacks of hygiene-conscious citizens

I think that this is good, but I do feel the effect line is a bit lacking... Stumped as to what else to suggest though.

Excellent! Nice to see another appearence from dear leader's mother.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Esterild
Spokesperson

Democratic Socialists

Postby Esterild » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:33 pm

Caracasus wrote:

I think that this is good, but I do feel the effect line is a bit lacking... Stumped as to what else to suggest though.

How about "hygiene-conscious restaurant diners spray their meals with Lysol before digging in"?

I still think that instead of the "presumably" part in the intro paragraph, you should just say, "He complains that @@NATION@@'s bathroom hygiene practices have gone right down the drain." The leader couldn't possibly just presume that the Minister had seen someone skip hand-washing for the third time in a week - and your Option 1 still has the Minister explaining that that's what happened.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Bump

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:43 am

Any other comments on this? (I'm literally tired of re-phrasing and shuffling around the sentences in the description and in Option 1) :p

I hope they are better right now. Or are they not??? I don't know, just tell me if the issue needs any more touching up, please. :)

Or should I send it off?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:52 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Any other comments on this? (I'm literally tired of re-phrasing and shuffling around the sentences in the description and in Option 1) :p

I hope they are better right now. Or are they not??? I don't know, just tell me if the issue needs any more touching up, please. :)

Or should I send it off?

Effect line for 3 seems a bit weak, but honestly, this one looks good to go. Send it FuF!
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:30 pm

OK, I submitted this one. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to the draft by making comments. :)

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?