NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Leader's Debt Dilemma

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Pinochet Executionists
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Leader's Debt Dilemma

Postby Pinochet Executionists » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:04 am

Hey everyone, this is an issue draft I was working on and wanted to see what others thought about it. As far as I could tell there isn't an issue about this yet but if I'm wrong please let me know.

Edits:
4/11/18 1:16 PM: changed a few sentences of option 5
4/11/18 2:03 PM: made privatization and cutting spending separate options
4/12/18 7:58 AM: removed a sentence in option 2 mentioning progressive and flat tax rates.

Title: @@LEADER@@'s Debt Dilemma

The Issue:
After seeing the latest budget, officials are alarmed over the nation's debt problem. A handful of advisers meet you in your office to discuss solutions to the issue.

Tthe Debate:

Option:
The first to speak is @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of the department of the treasury. "Obviously, the only way to solve this issue is to raise taxes," @@HE@@ says while looking out the window at a wealthier neighborhood. "After all, they can afford it. Sure, they might not be happy about it, but I'm sure that the police can deal with any- ahem- problematic citizens."
Effect:
The rich are taxed so highly they often become homeless.

Option:
"Or, we could cut spending," your finance minister, an noted libertarian, butts in. "Taxes are already high enough as it is, they should not go any higher. I think we should also put laws in place to make it harder to raise taxes." He says while glaring at your treasury minister. "Let's just get rid of these wasteful programs we don't need, that way we definitely won't have a deficit. Who needs subsidies for @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ anyway? Wasteful! Wasteful I say!"
Effect:
Government buildings are constantly under-staffed.

Opion:
"Or, if you'd like a different approach," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of a growing @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ business, "Let the private sector take care of it. The government doesn't have to get involved everything. Think about it! Roads, schools, almost everything in the private sector! Think about it! @@NAME@@ could be a beacon of innovation to the world! Everyone will see the beauty of the free market, fixing all of our problems!
Effect:
There is a toll booth at every intersection.

Option:
"I have a great Idea!", says @@RANDOMNAME@@, another businessman, a CEO of a large @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ company. "Just let people or companies buy seats in the @@NAME@@ legislative body! It can solve your debt problem, and give companies a say in what helps the economy, while also helping solve the debt issue! I don't see any problems with it", he says as he slips a large amount of @@CURRENCY@@s into your pocket.
Effect:
Instead of paying politicians to do their bidding, companies and wealthy people now just buy their way into office.

Option:
"How is this a problem?", asks your drunk cousin that got lost on the way to the restrooms. "A little debt never hurt anyone. All countries have debt, don't they? Just borrow money when you need to, and you'll be fine. Who knows, maybe someone will even feel generous enough as to bail out the government! Just ignore the problem! It's easier that way, and-", he takes another shot and passes out.
Effect:
Other countries are constantly bugging @@LEADER@@ to pay the @@DEMONYN@@ debt.

Option:
"Why, I have the perfect solution to getting rid of our debt!" boasts one of your generals. "If we owe money to other countries, then why don't we just get rid of those countries? Just say the word, and I will organize my men and we can just annex any nations that we owe money to, and get some land and resources in the process! No one will dare hold @@LEADER@@ accountable for any dues now! The world will see our true might!
Effect:
Any reminder of the @@DEMONYM@@ debt is met with immediate invasion

Thank you in advance for your criticism and helpful advice
Last edited by Pinochet Executionists on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58 am, edited 7 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Option 1- who said anything about progressive tax?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Spaceanian lard
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Spaceanian lard » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Have you read every issue yet? Im pretty sure there's none about this subject but i suggest reading.
Actually nevermind that would probably require more effort.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Spaceanian lard wrote:Have you read every issue yet? Im pretty sure there's none about this subject but i suggest reading.

..."Obviously, the only way to solve this issue is to raise taxes," @@HE@@ says while looking out the window at a wealthier neighborhood. "After all, they can afford it...

...I say we get rid of the progressive income tax, in favor of a flat tax rate..."

Actually, this is indicating the fact that @@NAME@@ has a progressive tax structure.

But that's also a problem since some nations have progressive tax structures, while others posses flat tax structures.

Its important not to assume a nation has one or the other, so this must be changed.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Pinochet Executionists
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Pinochet Executionists » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:17 am

Candensia wrote:
Spaceanian lard wrote:Have you read every issue yet? Im pretty sure there's none about this subject but i suggest reading.

..."Obviously, the only way to solve this issue is to raise taxes," @@HE@@ says while looking out the window at a wealthier neighborhood. "After all, they can afford it...

...I say we get rid of the progressive income tax, in favor of a flat tax rate..."

Actually, this is indicating the fact that @@NAME@@ has a progressive tax structure.

But that's also a problem since some nations have progressive tax structures, while others posses flat tax structures.

Its important not to assume a nation has one or the other, so this must be changed.

Thanks. Will do soon.
Edit: I did it
Last edited by Pinochet Executionists on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:36 am

I see you've submitted this one.

The premise is too thin and lacking in story.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

New Grand
Civilian

Founded: Feb 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grand » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I see you've submitted this one.

Well there was that one issue that one of your family memebers pet whatever died, and I think that lacks story :?:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:20 pm

New Grand wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I see you've submitted this one.

Well there was that one issue that one of your family memebers pet whatever died, and I think that lacks story :?:

Fair enough. I thought it had plenty of story.

Note story =/= length. I'm not demanding verbosity here, I'm asking for narrative.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
New Grand wrote:Well there was that one issue that one of your family memebers pet whatever died, and I think that lacks story :?:

Fair enough. I thought it had plenty of story.

Note story =/= length. I'm not demanding verbosity here, I'm asking for narrative.

To add onto this, what's the inciting incident? What has caused something bad but boring (debt) to suddenly rise to the forefront of @@LEADER@@'s attention? Has his office run out of pencils and you can't afford to buy anymore? Is there no money left in the treasury so you've had to pay government employees with other alternatives - literally being paid peanuts? Use your imagination because right now this issue is completely boring and without any personality.
See You Space Cowboy...

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?