NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Educational Turmoil Charted to Increase

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Digory Kirke
Attaché

Founded: Feb 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Educational Turmoil Charted to Increase

Postby Digory Kirke » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:33 pm

[description]The Charter Academy for @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ Heritage has recently come under fire for using public school money to indoctrinate children towards racial supremacy, using textbooks such as The History of @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ and of the Inferior Races. These charter schools run on public funds, but are not directly run by the Ministry of Education. Advocates of each side have come to your desk to plead their case.

[option]"In our state-run school system," says Minister of Education Jordan Michaels, carrying a briefcase overflowing with apples, "We make sure all students are treated equally, regardless of race or gender. Just last year, I was awarded a golden star for being a good boy for my work in fulfilling diversity quotas at our schools. These charter schools have no such regulations, and in fact, can teach anything they want on top of the base standards. Do not allow this menace to turn @@NAME@@ into a bloodbath of segregation."
[fallout]Students are made colorblind before they graduate to better allow for racial tolerance

[option]"Charter schools help the students state-run schools cannot,” argues angry parent James LeBrown, "On the contrary to the claims produced by Minister Michaels, charter schools help minority students succeed, even if they might have smaller numbers of them. Charter schools are a step up for the troubled and underprivileged youth that the public school system is designed to ignore. Increase funding for charters schools," he says, munching on one of the apples dropped from the briefcase.
[fallout]Charter academies mandate their students to shower in newly-minted government funding before leaving gym class

[option]Well-known infomercial salesman John Magicson slips into your office with a plethora of colorful, but confusing, charts and logos. "School funding causing you difficulties? Can't decide between bureaucracy and racism? Introducing McDistrict, the new school system that pays for itself! Students will go through three hours of testing, followed by five hours of manual labor to help build character! Students are guaranteed to have higher test scores, or your money back. Parents don’t like it? Don’t worry! To skip the testing, switch to McDistrict Premium for the small price of 9999.99 @@CURRENCY@@ per student!"
[fallout]McDistrict keeps the rich students out

[option]Webb Christopher, Chairman of the Institute for Race Realism, steps into your office in a hooded white mask. "It should be obvious to folks of pure heritage such as yourself that we have no need for these inferior races in our schools. Charter schools and state-run schools should work together to ensure a future for our race. It is fact that we score significantly higher on every IQ test. Why waste money on those who won't do well?
[fallout]Ethnic Bigtopian children work as janitors in schools
[description]The Charter Academy for @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ Heritage has recently come under fire for using public school money to indoctrinate children towards racial supremacy. The academy’s superintendent, Nintendo Chalmers, denies any such claims, declaring, "We merely seek to educate children on the origin of our nation, its native people, and why it is a wonderful nation." These charter schools run on public funds, but are not directly run by the Ministry of Education. Proponents on each side have come to your desk to plead their case.

[option]"In our state-run school system," says Minister of Education Jordan Michaels, carrying a briefcase overflowing with apples, "We make sure all students are treated equally, regardless of race or gender. Just last year, I was awarded a golden star for being a good boy for my work in fulfilling diversity quotas at our schools. These charter schools have no such regulations, and in fact, can teach anything they want on top of the base standards. Do not allow this menace to turn @@NAME@@ into a bloodbath of segregation. Ban charter schools.”
[fallout]Students are made colorblind before they graduate to better allow for racial tolerance

[option]"Charter schools cover the students state-run schools cannot,” argues angry parent James LeBrown, "My Jimmy was failing at @@CAPITAL@@ Heights High, now he’s near the top of his class. Every day, he comes home and tells me how great it is to not have those pesky letter grades or detentions. He might even go to college next year! On the contrary to the claims produced by Minister Michaels, charter schools help minority students succeed, even if they might have smaller numbers of them. Charter schools are a step up for the troubled and underprivileged youth that the public school system is designed to ignore. Increase funding for charters schools," he says, munching on one of the apples dropped from the briefcase.
[fallout]Charter academies mandate their students to shower in newly-minted government funding before leaving gym class

[option]"Why not just make all schools Charter? Introducing McDistrict, the new school system that pays for itself! Students will go through three hours of testing, followed by five hours of manual labor to help build character! Students are guaranteed to have higher test scores, or your money back. Parents don’t like it? Don’t worry! To skip the testing, switch to McDistrict Premium for the small price of 9999.99 per student!" says well-known infomercial salesman John Magicson as he slips into your office, pointing to several colorful but ambiguous charts.

[description]The Charter Academy for Racial Intolerance has recently come under fire in @@NAME@@ for using public school money to indoctrinate children. The academy’s superintendent, Nintendo Chalmers, denies any such claims, declaring, "We merely seek to isolate clean @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ children from those dirty Bigtopians." Proponents on each side have come to your desk to plead their case.

[option]"In our public school system," says Minister of Education Jordan Michaels, carrying a briefcase overflowing with apples, "We make sure all students are treated equally, regardless of race or gender. Just last year, I was awarded a golden star for being a good boy for my work in fulfilling diversity quotas at our schools. Do not allow this menace to turn @@NAME@@ into a bloodbath of segregation. Ban charter schools.”

[option]"Charter schools cover the students public schools cannot,” argues angry parent James LeBrown, "My Jimmy was failing at @@CAPITAL@@ Heights High, now he’s near the top of his class. Every day, he comes home and tells me how great it is to not have those pesky letter grades or detentions. He might even go to college next year! Charter schools are a step up for the troubled and underprivileged youth that the public school system is designed to ignore. Increase funding for charters schools," he says, munching on one of the apples dropped from the briefcase.

[option]"Why not just make all schools Charter? Introducing McDistrict, the new school system that pays for itself! Students will go through three hours of testing, followed by five hours of manual labor to help build character! Students are guaranteed to have higher test scores, or your money back. Parents don’t like it? Don’t worry! To skip the testing, switch to McDistrict Premium for the small price of 9999.99 per student!" says well-known infomercial salesman John Magicson as he slips into your office, pointing to several colorful but ambiguous charts.
Last edited by Digory Kirke on Fri May 04, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Professor Digory Kirke
Citizen and Former Delegate of Narnia
Everything I say and do on this nation and in my capacity as a citizen of Narnia is done solely for the good of Narnia.

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Steamed Hams but it's a NationStates Issue

EDIT:
In all seriousness, I think your issue would be far stronger if someone was accusing the schools of indoctrinating students rather than that being the case outright. That way you can have some ambiguity and more of an argument in your issue options.
Last edited by Palos Heights on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Digory Kirke
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Digory Kirke » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Updated to accommodate suggestions.
Professor Digory Kirke
Everything I say and do on this nation and in my capacity as a citizen of Narnia is done solely for the good of Narnia.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:57 pm

What's a charter school?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Digory Kirke
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Digory Kirke » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 pm

A charter school is a public school that's not directly run by the DoE, but rather, a third party (typically a university or not-for-profit corporation)
Professor Digory Kirke

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Digory Kirke wrote:A charter school is a public school that's not directly run by the DoE, but rather, a third party (typically a university or not-for-profit corporation)

So a private school?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Digory Kirke
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Digory Kirke » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:54 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Digory Kirke wrote:A charter school is a public school that's not directly run by the DoE, but rather, a third party (typically a university or not-for-profit corporation)

So a private school?

At the risk of making this a chat thread, no. It is state funded.
Professor Digory Kirke

Digory Kirke
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Digory Kirke » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:37 pm

Bump for the bump gods
Professor Digory Kirke

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Is there an issue allowing charter schools as a validity to add in? If not, that'd be a good issue to write on as well.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Digory Kirke
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Digory Kirke » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Sacara wrote:Is there an issue allowing charter schools as a validity to add in? If not, that'd be a good issue to write on as well.

Fair point. Maybe I'll postpone submitting this one until someone gets one successfully approved. I can certainly draft one.
Professor Digory Kirke

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:03 am

Worth noting that school terminology varies greatly across the world, in frequently contradictory ways. For example, Americans and British have very different ideas of what is meant by a Public School.

That in mind, it's sometimes worth being a little blander in order to use globally unambiguous language, like "publicly-funded school" or "state-run school" instead.

Broadly though, this is an interesting and workable issue that needs only a few tweaks to fit the NS house style.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Marilyn Manson Freaks
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Marilyn Manson Freaks » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:03 am

I like this issue, keep working on it, Vapid! :)
Hi, I'm Manson! I'm just your friendly neighborhood rockstar!
NS Join Date: November 6th, 2015

Here are some things I've authored.

Jobs & Positions
4th Generation Fishmonger
Founder of the Church of Zyonn
NRO Stooge

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam
Envoy

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ab Humanitatis Scientiam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:28 pm

The description sets up a debate over teachers using public funds to teach a controvertial topic, but the options seems to simply address the general virtues/failures of charter (that is, publically funded but operated by private entity under contract to the government) schools.

Which issue is being addressed here?

If it's really supposed to be about using public money to teach something distateful/controvertial ("racial supremacy"), then some specific example of what's being taught is called for. Are they teaching the kids that true and pure @@DENONYMS@@ split their english muffins with a fork? Do some butter-knife-wielding taxpayers disagree? Where is the anarchist/nhilist/soulless "gluten-free toast is obviously better anyway" insanity option?

Digory Kirke
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Digory Kirke » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:47 am

Ab Humanitatis Scientiam wrote:The description sets up a debate over teachers using public funds to teach a controvertial topic, but the options seems to simply address the general virtues/failures of charter (that is, publically funded but operated by private entity under contract to the government) schools.

Which issue is being addressed here?

If it's really supposed to be about using public money to teach something distateful/controvertial ("racial supremacy"), then some specific example of what's being taught is called for. Are they teaching the kids that true and pure @@DENONYMS@@ split their english muffins with a fork? Do some butter-knife-wielding taxpayers disagree? Where is the anarchist/nhilist/soulless "gluten-free toast is obviously better anyway" insanity option?

I'm going to disagree here, but will move to reconsider if enough people agree. The move to defund charter schools is clearly based on general disagreements beneath the specific opportunity for debate, as it often is in real life for issues such as gun control. As for the addition of other options, I feel the issue has sufficient options as-is, without need for derivatives of already-present opinions.

Edit: Also, replaced certain words to clarify, per CWA's suggestions.
Last edited by Digory Kirke on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professor Digory Kirke

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:31 pm

My biggest complaint with this is that it's overly wordy - especially the description. The whole bit with Chalmers feels like the beginning of an option. You're front-loading the issue with a rebuttal in the description and maybe I'm being a traditionalist, but I seriously think that needs to be split out.

I think AHS' suggestion to be more specific about the racial supremacy is a good one. While it's not necessary, I feel like it would do nothing but good to the description, especially if you take out Chalmer's response. It lends more immediacy to the dilemma and can be used for humor or outrage depending on your taste.

I like option 1. The only thing I'd suggest for that would be to get rid of the last sentence "Ban charter schools." It would make it a bit more subtle and feel more natural.

Option 2 is too long. It has too much fluff. I like what you're going for, but it needs to be trimmed a bit. The only option in any of my issues that was as long as it was #567.2 and its whole purpose was to be overly verbose. When your option text stretches to the third line on my ultrawide, that's not a good sign.

Option 3 has a lot of good in it, but it still feels awkward. I don't like how you leave the description of the speaker until the end. I have no clue who's talking for the whole time which makes me have to go back and read it all over again. Move it to the front. I also think the rhetorical questions in the option are awkward from the point of view of an infomercial. It needs to read more like: "Private schools got you down? Public schools not performing? There's a solution! Introducing McDistrict..."

EDIT: I forgot to ask something. Why's Chalmer's first name Nintendo? I understand you're referencing Michael Jordan (Jordan Michaels) and Lebron James (James LeBrown), but why are those references really all that necessary? I know Jordon went to public school and LeBron went to a catholic school, but I'm not seeing the necessity. I know, it's a nitpick, but I'm curious.
Last edited by Drasnia on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See You Space Cowboy...

Digory Kirke
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Digory Kirke » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Drasnia wrote:My biggest complaint with this is that it's overly wordy - especially the description. The whole bit with Chalmers feels like the beginning of an option. You're front-loading the issue with a rebuttal in the description and maybe I'm being a traditionalist, but I seriously think that needs to be split out.

I think AHS' suggestion to be more specific about the racial supremacy is a good one. While it's not necessary, I feel like it would do nothing but good to the description, especially if you take out Chalmer's response. It lends more immediacy to the dilemma and can be used for humor or outrage depending on your taste.

I like option 1. The only thing I'd suggest for that would be to get rid of the last sentence "Ban charter schools." It would make it a bit more subtle and feel more natural.

Option 2 is too long. It has too much fluff. I like what you're going for, but it needs to be trimmed a bit. The only option in any of my issues that was as long as it was #567.2 and its whole purpose was to be overly verbose. When your option text stretches to the third line on my ultrawide, that's not a good sign.

Option 3 has a lot of good in it, but it still feels awkward. I don't like how you leave the description of the speaker until the end. I have no clue who's talking for the whole time which makes me have to go back and read it all over again. Move it to the front. I also think the rhetorical questions in the option are awkward from the point of view of an infomercial. It needs to read more like: "Private schools got you down? Public schools not performing? There's a solution! Introducing McDistrict..."

EDIT: I forgot to ask something. Why's Chalmer's first name Nintendo? I understand you're referencing Michael Jordan (Jordan Michaels) and Lebron James (James LeBrown), but why are those references really all that necessary? I know Jordon went to public school and LeBron went to a catholic school, but I'm not seeing the necessity. I know, it's a nitpick, but I'm curious.

Not a necessity on the BBall players (you missed Magic Johnson/John Magicson, btw), but I had no more ideas and I dislike the random names NS gives. I was actually not referencing anything involving schooling there. The Nintendo Chalmers reference is to the Simpsons. Lemme fetch a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av4lbel9aIo

As for everything else, I made some edits.
Professor Digory Kirke

Kurczak Mielony
Secretary

Founded: Jan 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurczak Mielony » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Hello! I'm about to incinerate your draft! Carry on! Most of this is going to be me nit-picking! Feel free to disregard any part or all parts of this! Also, I will be sorry a lot.

The Description:
I suggest slashing the bit about Nintendo Chalmers denying the claims. It seems a bit out of place here.
Also, may I propose replacing "Proponents on" with "Advocates of" in the last sentence?

Option 1: Being awarded a gold star for being a good boy does not seem very relevant here. Also, you use two prepositional phrases in a row >.<
Otherwise, it's good. :ok_hand:

Option 2: "Charter schoolers cover the students state-run schools..."
Uhm, what? I think you missed something there.
Also, the effect line does not make much sense here. Sorry.

Option 3: I like it. I suggest placing @@CURRENCY@@ after 9999.99 to better tell the reader 9999.99 what to not be tested.

All in all, decent draft. May I advocate for an option with a racist old man who says state-run schools should adopt this racist way of teaching?
Current Prime Minister of Conch Kingdom!

My NationStates statistics currently (do/do not) reflect my real views.

Augustin Alliance Central Strategic Committee
AARFGHCKLENADNJTFReference

|| AA Personnel Officer

Digory Kirke
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Digory Kirke » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Kurczak Mielony wrote:Hello! I'm about to incinerate your draft! Carry on! Most of this is going to be me nit-picking! Feel free to disregard any part or all parts of this! Also, I will be sorry a lot.

The Description:
I suggest slashing the bit about Nintendo Chalmers denying the claims. It seems a bit out of place here.
Also, may I propose replacing "Proponents on" with "Advocates of" in the last sentence?

Option 1: Being awarded a gold star for being a good boy does not seem very relevant here. Also, you use two prepositional phrases in a row >.<
Otherwise, it's good. :ok_hand:

Option 2: "Charter schoolers cover the students state-run schools..."
Uhm, what? I think you missed something there.
Also, the effect line does not make much sense here. Sorry.

Option 3: I like it. I suggest placing @@CURRENCY@@ after 9999.99 to better tell the reader 9999.99 what to not be tested.

All in all, decent draft. May I advocate for an option with a racist old man who says state-run schools should adopt this racist way of teaching?

I have ignored most of your stuff, added some.
Professor Digory Kirke

Digory Kirke
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Digory Kirke » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:33 pm

I'd like to ask people to give this one last go-over, as I hope to submit in the near future. I'd like to especially note my addition of an option from previous versions, and ask that people review that options. Thank you all so much for all the help. <3
Professor Digory Kirke

Digory Kirke
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Digory Kirke » Thu May 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Last call, and then I'll submit.
Professor Digory Kirke

Digory Kirke
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Digory Kirke » Fri May 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Given no further comments, draft has been submitted. Thank you to everyone who helped me work on this draft!
Professor Digory Kirke

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri May 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Good luck, Kirke! :D
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?