NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Near, Far — Wherever You Are

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Near, Far — Wherever You Are

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:29 am

OK, I have no idea if this is even a reasonable premise, so I'm prepared for a 2-hour discard,
but in the event that it's not, here's my crack at a secret police reversal. :lol:

Draft 1.3:
Title: Near, Far — Wherever You Are
The Issue: You've begun to question whether having secret police in @@NAME@@ was such a good idea after your Chief of Secret Police, who told you your entire office was bugged, was taken away for being a "threat to national security".
Validity: Nation has secret police

Option 1: Your Minister of Law and Order meets you outside. "I'm glad you made it! We have to do something... men in black are everywhere, and they won't give us a break! You have to give the government and everyone working for it complete immunity to the secret police, before..." The minister looks around, then whispers to you, "before they turn on us."
[effect] anyone capable of finding out about the minister of law and order's death is sworn to secrecy

Option 2: A man in black walks up to you and your Minister. "Mr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@! Funny, seeing you out here." The minister begins to quiver. "You know, @@LEADER@@, I heard him talking about us through the bug I planted on us. Believe me, we're needed in order to make sure the government doesn't break the law — even you. In fact, we request ownership of everything you have: documents, passwords, names, everything. Now, if you'll excuse us, your Minister and I will be taking a little walk."
[effect] military officers sharing secrets as required by law are arrested for sharing top secret information

Option 3: "This is nonsense!" complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, a random passerby, eating a jelly sandwich. "The secret police is taking people away for telling you things you should know! Not to mention we're spending our taxes on something that does a horrible job at being secret. Let the real police handle all of the real crimes in @@NAME@@, and abolish the 'secret' police once and for—AGH!" @@HE@@ is put under by a man in black that looks suspiciously like the previous speaker.
[effect] shadowy entities haunt hardware stores

The Issue: You've begun to question whether having secret police in @@NAME@@ was such a good idea after your Chief of Secret Police, who told you your entire office was bugged, was taken away for being a "threat to national security".

Option 1: Your Minister of Law and Order meets you outside. "I'm glad you made it! We have to do something... men in black are everywhere, and they won't give us a break! You have to give the government and everyone working for it complete immunity to the secret police, before..." The minister whispers to you, "before they turn on us."
[effect] the government is immune from the highest level of police investigations

Option 2: A man in black walks up to you and your Minister. "Mr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@! What are you doing out here?" Your minister assures the two of you are just taking a walk. "Isn't that nice? You know, @@LEADER@@, I just heard from the bug I planted on him that we're not trustworthy. Believe me, the secret police is needed to keep an eye on the government. Even you should not be above the law, and you should let us catch those that break it, even if that means we have to 'bend' it a little. Now, if you'll excuse us, your Minister and I will be taking a little walk."
[effect] secret police officers often watch ministers play cup and ball during their breaks

Option 3: "This is nonsense!" complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, a random passerby, eating a jelly sandwich. "The secret police is taking people away for telling you things you should know! Not to mention we're spending our taxes on something that does a horrible job at being secret. Let the real police handle all of the real crimes in @@NAME@@, and abolish the 'secret' police once and for—AGH!" @@HE@@ is put under by a man in black that looks suspiciously like the previous speaker.
[effect] shadowy figures haunt the halls around @@LEADER@@'s office

The Issue: You've begun to question whether having secret police in @@NAME@@ was such a good idea after your top aide, who told you your entire office was bugged, was taken away for being a "threat to national security".

Option 1: Your Minister of Law and Order meets you outside. "I'm glad you made it! We have to do something... men in black are everywhere, and they won't give us a break! You have to give the government and everyone working for it complete immunity to the secret police, before..." The minister whispers to you, "before they turn on us."
[effect] the government is immune from the highest level of police investigations

Option 2: A man in black walks up to you and your Minister. "Mr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@! What are you doing out here?" Your minister assures the two of you are just taking a walk. "Isn't that nice? You know, @@LEADER@@, I just heard from the bug I planted on him that we're not trustworthy. Believe me, the secret police is needed to keep an eye on the government. Even ministers should not be above the law, and you should let us catch those that break it, even if that means we have to 'bend' it a little. Now, if you'll excuse us, your Minister and I will be taking a little walk."
[effect] secret police officers often watch ministers play cup and ball during their breaks

Option 3: "Alright, this is nonsense," complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, a random passerby, eating a jelly sandwich. "The secret police is just a waste of taxpayer money. They can't even be that secret if everyone in @@NAME@@ knows about them! Let the real police handle all of the crimes in @@NAME@@, and abolish the secret police, once and for a-" @@HE@@ is then apprehended by a man in black that looks suspiciously like the previous speaker.
[effect] the secret police has been replaced with the not-so-secret police

The Issue: You've begun to question whether having secret police in @@NAME@@ was such a good idea after your top aide, who told you your entire office was bugged, was taken away for being a "threat to national security".

Option 2: A man in black walks up to you and your Minister. "Mr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@! What are you doing out here?" Your minister assures the two of you are just taking a walk. "Isn't that nice? You know, @@LEADER@@, I just heard from the bug I planted on him that we're not trustworthy. Believe me, the secret police is needed to keep an eye on the government. Even ministers should not be above the law, and you should let us catch those that break it, even if that means we have to 'bend' it a little. Now, if you'll excuse us, your Minister and I will be taking a little walk."
[effect] the government is effectively ruled by a secret authoritarian entity

Option 3: "Alright, this is nonsense," complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, a random passerby, eating a jelly sandwich. "The secret police is just a waste of taxpayer money. They can't even be that secret if everyone in @@NAME@@ knows about them! Let the real police handle all of the crimes in @@NAME@@, and abolish the secret police, once and for a-" @@HE@@ is then apprehended by a man in black that looks suspiciously like the previous speaker.
[effect] the secret police has been replaced with the not-so-secret police
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri May 04, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 am

Jutsa wrote:OK, I have no idea if this is even a reasonable premise, so I'm prepared for a 2-hour discard,
No serious problem with the premise, other than not being funny enough. You're basically just saying "people don't like being arrested by the secret police". Well, duh. Show some more detail about how having everyone be under suspicion could lead to problems and/or humor.

Here's an old Russion joke for inspiration:
NKVD major: "We arrested this man for treason!"
Stalin: "What did he do?"
NKVD major: "He was saying: 'Damn that mustached bastard for ruining the country!'"
Stalin: "Is that so? And who did you mean by that, comrade?"
Russian everyman: "Naturally I meant Hitler, comrade Stalin!"
Stalin: "And who did you mean, comrade major?"

Jutsa wrote:The Issue: You've begun to question whether having secret police in @@NAME@@ was such a good idea after your top aid, who told you your entire office was bugged, was taken away for being a "threat to national security".
It's spelled "aide".

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks @aid, but it's not supposed to be so much "people are being arrested and they don't like it"
as "a 'secret' organization is threatening to control the government". Idk if I accomplished that, but... :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:52 am

Jutsa wrote:"a 'secret' organization is threatening to control the government". Idk if I accomplished that, but... :P
Problem is, no matter what, the player stays in control of the government. That's how the game works.

The secret police can only take this politician away if you, @@LEADER@@, choose to authorize this by selecting option 2. So it doesn't really connote that urgency of "your secret police is trying to subvert your rule".

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:46 am

Eh, true... but could they still be out-of-control and taking your ministers left/right for unnecessarily strict reasons?
(ones that perhaps you didn't necessarily agree to)
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:29 pm

Option 2's effect should be "secret police officers often watch politicans play cup and ball durring their breaks"
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Changing, though I'll save the old one in another draft if people prefer the old one(probably won't) :P

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:58 am

Bump~ :P

Third Enlightment
Civilian

Founded: Mar 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Enlightment » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:00 am

Well thats another story to told......or not

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:34 am

Another bump. :lol:

Probably going to keep this up for just a couple weeks. :p

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:43 am

I still think this doesn't really work without showing the secret police doing things that are actually inconvenient to you.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:45 am

Hmm... yeah, I'll see what I can do. I'm sure that could also make for some humorous content. :3

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 pm

I now wonder why the secret police doesn't arrest other secret police members :P

I think when the Minister whispers to you, he can take a furtive look at his surroundings and then lean closer to you.

The ending is a bit awkward here. Something that comes to my mind is an issue where the characters go "Ah, my throat!" as if they were being strangled, and I think this is a good place to put something like that here.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:00 am

The Atlae Isles wrote:I now wonder why the secret police doesn't arrest other secret police members
That's basically what the joke I quoted was getting at.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 am

Hmm... what if I changed your top aide to the chief of the secret police?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 am

Updated a bit. Is this a better premise and option 3?
Also could use a better option 3 effect line if anyone has one. :blush:
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feria-Alkaline
Attaché

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feria-Alkaline » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:28 am

Jutsa wrote:Updated a bit. Is this a better premise and option 3?
Also could use a better option 3 effect line if anyone has one. :blush:

How about [Fallout] Secret police officers dress flashily ..? Nah, that sucks... uh... dunno...
Sincerely, me.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:41 am

Naeh but I thank you for trying. :lol:

Hmm... "former secret police agents haunt the halls around @@LEADER@@'s office"?
Think about it, where do all of the secret police agents go? Where did they come from, for that matter?

Hmm... actually, "shadowy figures haunt the halls around @@LEADER@@'s office" would be a good one, I think. :P

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:40 am

Jutsa wrote:Hmm... actually, "shadowy figures haunt the halls around @@LEADER@@'s office" would be a good one, I think. :P
Why would people who just lost their jobs stick around @@LEADER@@'s office?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:47 am

Very good question! Maybe they're waiting to ask for their jobs back or something? :P

Still open to other suggestions, ftr.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:27 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Jutsa wrote:Hmm... actually, "shadowy figures haunt the halls around @@LEADER@@'s office" would be a good one, I think. :P
Why would people who just lost their jobs stick around @@LEADER@@'s office?

@@LEADER@@ has homeless people living in @@HIS@@ closet and I think under @@HIS@@ desk, and his office is hilariously easy to get into.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Let me rephrase: why would people start hanging around @@LEADER@@'s office more when they're unemployed than when they were actually working for @@LEADER@@?

It doesn't matter if you can justify it. Effect lines need to make sense on their own, without depending on convoluted logic explained only in the drafting thread.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:51 am

Trotterdam wrote:Let me rephrase: why would people start hanging around @@LEADER@@'s office more when they're unemployed than when they were actually working for @@LEADER@@?

Trying to get their jobs back?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:08 am

Aside from the effect line, which I'm still welcome to other ideas about the consequences of disbanding the secret police,
does this draft need any major adjustments? :lol:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:55 am

Option 2 is maybe a little too much of a "keep the status quo" option. Can you make it a bit crazier?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?