NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Has Science Gone Too Far?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

[SUBMITTED] Has Science Gone Too Far?

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 am

Description:
Genius scientist @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, inventor of the famed "quantum bubble generator" and user of the alias “Titanium @@MAN_1@@”, has an impressive track record of using self-created devices to fight crime, earning @@HIM_1@@ great fame and the favor of @@NAME@@. However, @@HE_1@@ has an equally impressive track record of completely ignoring laws, committing crimes themselves whenever @@HE_1@@ feels like it. While this has been accepted behavior for some time, considering @@HIS_1@@ heroism, some are calling for you to hold @@HIM_1@@ accountable for all @@HIS_1@@ actions, even the less-than-heroic ones.

[Option 1]
"@@LEADER@@, you can't seriously be considering letting this @@MAN_1@@ go free." says @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, your Minister of Justice. @@HE_2@@ pulls up an EnergyDot presentation, flicking through slides detailing Richard's many criminal acts. "I acknowledge that this @@MAN_1@@ has fought for @@NAME@@ before, but so have the proper authorities, and they don't get to break the law. Just imagine what example we would be setting by letting this @@MAN_1@@ go free. @@HE_1@@ MUST be brought to justice. Destroy his gadgets, too. None of us really understand them, and they’re too dangerous to risk falling into the wrong hands."

[Result]
@@NAME@@ has reaffirmed that no one is above the law.

[Option 2]
"Well, I think the answer is obvious." says @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, your Minister of Science. "It's true that @@HE_1@@ cannot be allowed to continue @@HIS_1@@ work without consequences or supervision, but at the same time, we cannot afford to lose @@HIS_1@@ technology. We should allow @@HIM_1@@ to continue working, but under the condition that @@HE_1@@ turns @@HIS_1@@ research over to us and stops flagrantly violating the law. Not only can we use @@HIS_1@@ discoveries to support the existing authorities, but we'd have the technology to put supercomputers in kitchen appliances. If that's what we wanted to do, anyway. Just think of the possibilities!"

[Result]
The average @@ADJECTIVE@@ toaster is smart enough to burn its philosphical inquiries into toast.

[Option 3]
"No!" You turn to see the source of the voice only to see @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, the mad scientist in question, hovering outside your window with a jetpack. "Look, @@LEADER@@, I know I haven't always followed your laws, but any examination of my track record should tell you that I stop much more crime than I cause. And besides, my discoveries have been revolutionary in many fields. You should create an exception in the rules for people who fight more crime than they stop. Here, I’ve even made a formula for figuring out the severity of crimes, to help you write the law. @@HE_1@@ throws a piece of paper covered in complicated math into your office before flying off into the distance.

[Result]
The "hero defense" is now accepted in court.

[Option 4]
[Not available for nations with the Atheism policy]
"The way ahead is clear," intones @@RANDOMNAME_4@@, a priest of @@FAITH@@, "as piety shall grant us salvation more than this @@MAN_1@@ ever could, and by turning away from the true path, we lose that chance. While this “Titan @@MAN_1@@” may be able to stop criminals after a fight, the divine could have done so in an instant, and with much less collateral damage. It is clear to me and my faith which is the better choice. You must punish this @@MAN_1@@ for @@HIS_1@@ hubris before divine wrath falls upon the people of @@NAME@@!" @@HE_4@@ falls to his knees, praying for salvation.

[Result]
@@NAME@@ trusts in religion for its defense.

[Option 5]
[Not available for nations with the Atheism policy]
"Um... Hello? Please let me through! Can I... there!" Someone in robes resembling those of @@FAITH@@ finally pushes their way through the crowd. "Hello! I'm @@RANDOMNAME_5@@, a representative of a reformed sect of @@FAITH@@. I agree with the priest of orthodox @@FAITH@@ that we need to trust in the divine to protect us, but just because we understand the power of faith does not mean we need to reject science. In the past, we did not see science as opposing religion, but we worked with it, helping us understand the nature of Creation and better use the tools that have been given to us. Clearly, this @@MAN_1@@ has been blessed by the divine! And besides, that, if @@HE_1@@ truly were evil, then divinity could have struck @@HIM_1@@ down before any of this happened. No, the only possibility is that @@HE_1@@ is an agent of the divine, and we need to see @@HIM_1@@ as such. All hail the patron saint of scientists, @@RANDOMNAME_1@@!"

[Result]
Places of worship are usually built with attached particle accelerators.

[Option 6]
[Not available to nations with No Prisons]
“You people can’t be serious.” growls someone outside your office. He stares down the guards before coming in. “I’m Dogman, a real hero. I’ve dealt with people like this “Titanium @@MAN_1@@ before. I know that you can’t stop people like @@HIM_1@@ without fighting fire with fire. I want to see @@HIM_1@@ brought to justice as much as anyone, but you don’t have any prisons that can hold @@HIM_1@@, and nothing you have that’s short of an army could bring @@HIM_1@@ there in the first place. With your permission, I’d like to organize a group of people like myself to bring down terrorists like @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, and make a special facility to hold them for their crimes. Even I don’t have enough money to make that happen, so we’ll need some government funding, but it’s pocket change to @@NAME@@. And you can’t put a price on justice.”
[Result]
@@NAME@@ has begun construction of a high-tech prison to hold high-tech criminals.

[Option 7]
[Only available to nations with Capital Punishment]
“So, I was eating a taquito when I heard about the whole deal with Titanium @@MAN_1@@, and I thought to myself, why not make a pitch of my own?” A @@MAN@@ dressed in a brightly colored outfit steps into your office. “Hey! I’m Doomriver, professional mercenary, hellraiser, and comedian. We both know that people have gone to Death Row for less than half of what Titanium @@MAN_1@@’s been up to, so why treat them any differently? I’m more than willing to eliminate them for you. All it’ll take is for you to pay my standard fees. 250,000 @@CURRENCY@@s, cash or credit, and the problem is resolved. You get what you want, I get what I want, and they get what they deserve. So, whaddaya say?” They hold out their hands, one for a handshake, and one for payment.
[Result]
@@NAME@@ hires a hitmen to deal with especially dangerous criminals.

[NOTES]
This is my first real attempt at an issue that I don't think has been done before.
The title might not fit anymore, so feel free to suggest a new one and I'll probably use it.
I will submit this issue once I have resolved any issues that might be present. Feel free to point anything out, and remember, the only stupid question is one you don't ask.

Edit 1: Swapped out the hardcoded name for @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ (also swapped out the attached pronouns). Changed some wording, some of which was to account for the change (as far as I know, you can't isolate a last name, so you can't call them Saint @@RANDOMNAME_1@@), some of which wasn't (fresh eyes and all). Changed the notes tab some.
Edit 2: Realized I had forgotten to record the content of my edits, so I jumped in and did that.
Edit 3: Incorporated suggestions from Trotterdam and New Ciencia regarding wording (New Ciencia) and the scope of @@RANDOMNAME_1@@’s achievements (Trotterdam), making them less of a Superman-style “save the world singlehandedly” hero and more of a cross between Rick Sanchez and Batman. Added options 6 and 7, concerning the formation of a superhero organization and paying someone to assassinate Titanium @@MAN_1@@, respectively. Changed the person in option 5 from being a member of the Reformed Order of Violet to simply being a member of “a reformed sect of @@FAITH@@” (I wanted to have at least one 100% non-evil Violetist, but we have them characterized as being the way they are for a reason). Changed the notes section, as there aren't any issues (heh!) that I can see, so I'll probably submit this soon.
Last edited by Evil Dictators Happyland on Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:38 am

If you use @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, it will reference the same guy generated in the instance. Hope this helps!
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:49 am

It helps a lot, thank you!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:41 am

Wow, this is really well-written, so I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but...

A single person single-handedly saving millions of people with super-science that far ahead of the state of the art is rather out there. I don't think we're willing to let such a game-changer into the narrative.

Also, we already have issues about vigilantism on a smaller scale (#271, #511), including discussion of their benefits versus their working outside the law.

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:With respect to option 5, it's pretty clear to me that the Order of Violet is based primarily on Islam (specifically the Western stereotype of it),
Well, originally it was just a "generic evil human sacrifice religion". I think even most Islamophobes don't actually accuse Muslims of practicing ritual human sacrifice.

Later on they got associated with more realistic terrorism rather than human sacrifice, though, which made them more like "the Western stereotype of Islam".

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:and IIRC Arabia had very advanced technology during the medieval period,
Yup.

New Ciencia
Attaché

Founded: Feb 18, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby New Ciencia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:47 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:, flicking through slides detailing Richard's many crimes.

Please change this! Otherwise, I would very much support this issue. FOR SCIENCE!
FOR SCIENCE!!!
Generation 13. The first time you see this copy and paste it into your own signature (and increment the number by 1).
We use NS stats and all policies, EXCEPT:
Tax Rate, Disposable Income
No Sports
For: SCIENCE!, Innovation, Transhumanism, Space Exploration
Against: Anti-Intellectualism, Luddism, Primitivism
A 13.71 civilization, according to this index.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:50 am

Trotterdam wrote:Wow, this is really well-written, so I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but...

A single person single-handedly saving millions of people with super-science that far ahead of the state of the art is rather out there. I don't think we're willing to let such a game-changer into the narrative.

Also, we already have issues about vigilantism on a smaller scale (#271, #511), including discussion of their benefits versus their working outside the law.

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:With respect to option 5, it's pretty clear to me that the Order of Violet is based primarily on Islam (specifically the Western stereotype of it),
Well, originally it was just a "generic evil human sacrifice religion". I think even most Islamophobes don't actually accuse Muslims of practicing ritual human sacrifice.

Later on they got associated with more realistic terrorism rather than human sacrifice, though, which made them more like "the Western stereotype of Islam".

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:and IIRC Arabia had very advanced technology during the medieval period,
Yup.

I actually have a fix for this, which I will implement as soon as I figure out how to word it. Maybe I'll change his achievements from protecting the planet essentially alone to being a sort of science-powered Batman. Previous issues (issue no. 511, which you mentioned, indicates that superheroes like that do actually exist), and the only reason they were written to be as grand as they were was because I was basing this off of a Rick and Morty episode. Will change.
As for the "even Islamophobes don't actually accuse Muslims of practicing ritual human sacrifice"... you clearly haven't done much political debating :p
New Ciencia wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:, flicking through slides detailing Richard's many crimes.

Please change this! Otherwise, I would very much support this issue. FOR SCIENCE!

I will, as I hadn't sounded that out in my head before this. Now I can't stop cringing.

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Don't submit so quickly. You have not given people enough time to respond to draft changes.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Very true! You lasted about a day whereas drafts can take up to three months. :blush:

I'm not saying this won't make it into the game, but your chances aren't as high as if you waited.
(and you can still resubmit when it's all done, but please don't submit until it is definitely done
or if the editors want you to continue drafting it afterwards.)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:02 am

Altmer Dominion wrote:Don't submit so quickly. You have not given people enough time to respond to draft changes.

Jutsa wrote:Very true! You lasted about a day whereas drafts can take up to three months. :blush:

I'm not saying this won't make it into the game, but your chances aren't as high as if you waited.
(and you can still resubmit when it's all done, but please don't submit until it is definitely done
or if the editors want you to continue drafting it afterwards.)

I wasn't sure what the protocol was, and I wanted to get it in once the obvious problems with it had been fixed. I realized about ten minutes after I submitted it that I should have given it more time, but well, what can you do? You can't unsubmit an issue.
Well, I'll give it a few months and resubmit if it isn't taken as-is, which it probably won't be. Sorry, I've just heard that the volume of user-submitted issues is very low, so I wanted to do my part to fix it. Guess it was the wrong call, though.

Well, I'm nothing if not capable of learning from my mistakes. The next issue I make won't be submitted for at least a month, and I'll probably wait until it gets hit with the thread trimmer so I can be certain no stone is unturned.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:24 am

Alrighty! I know editors don't normally say whether a draft's been discarded or not,
but I wouldn't be too surprised if they discarded this one so you can reopen this and have others look at it.*
(Unless they end up really liking it and working on it anyways)

The thing that sticks out to me is that your options are all quite long for a 7-option draft,
in of itself being a large number of options. That said, that's not necessarily a game over either,
as issue #928 has to say about it, but it does mean it may take a bit longer for them to get to it. :P

Just something to consider for your next draft. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:40 am

Sure, like Jutsa says, this one hasn't made it. Feel free to turn this back into a draft.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?