NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED; #1110] - Curtains For The Horrorshow

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[ACCEPTED; #1110] - Curtains For The Horrorshow

Postby Sacara » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Hey guys! Just a little precursor, I am awful at thinking of titles, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know! I have changed the title, thanks to His Excellence. I would like feedback, and to let me know if you think this is a good idea (if this an already an issue, let me know as well). Thanks in advance!

Name: Curtains For The Horrorshow

[The Issue] After last week's highly anticipated release of the new horror movie, "Scary Dream on Fifth Street", reports have been coming in that movie theaters across @@CAPITAL@@ have been allowing children as young as five to watch the film. A group of overprotective parents and their kids have gathered around your office to discuss what should be done.

[Option 1] “Oh, the horror!” exclaims @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, President of Concerned Mothers For Young Kids, an organization dedicated to protecting motherly interests. “The part where the creature ate the brains of the man was so disgusting, even I stopped watching! How could any movie theater allow children to watch this grotesque film! What if it was the manager's children it was affecting? These children will be scarred for life because of this mishandling! It's time to crack down on movie theaters that are harming our younger generation. Just imagine what will happen to all of these kids who have seen such obscene images! They will be scarred for life, and think of how unproductive that will be for @@NAME@@!"
[Effect] even the elderly are forced to show a form of identification to get into the newest kids movies

[Option 2] Your next visitor happens to be seven-year-old academic prodigy, @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the children who was allowed to see the movie in question. “Sometimes we all go a little mad, but I say we should just embrace it. I. I especially enjoyed the part where the zombie tore off the man's arms. My mother says that because I'm an adolescent, I should not see this movie, but frankly, I think I’m more mature and sophisticated than the average @@DEMONYM@@. I insist that you abolish these superfluous regulations. This discrimination against highly intelligent kids, like me, shall not continue!"
[Effect] mothers are seen taking their babies to the latest Stephen Spailbarg movie

[Option 3] "Who needs these kinds of movies in the first place?" ask your grandmother, drinking tea and reminiscing about her younger years. "Back when I raised your parents, we didn't have scary movies and look how they turned out. The people who make the movies in the first place should have to test them in front of a young audience, and even if one kid gets scared, do not allow it to show. I care too much about the youth to let them go through these kinds of films!"
[Effect] schools are forced to show heavily censored nature documentaries in science classes
Last edited by Sacara on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:41 am, edited 17 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:13 am

Effect for option 3- why are they dangerous?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:15 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Effect for option 3- why are they dangerous?

Because, according to the fallout, there are no regulations.
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

New Seaview Cove
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 25, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby New Seaview Cove » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:22 pm

I think its good

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:49 am

I think it is okay.

The premise is sound, though could be presented with more humour and less redundancy.

The three options are structurally sound, but prosaic. I suggest drop option 3 and replace it with one that shows your imagination and sense of humour.

The effect lines need to be funnier and more funny indirect consequences rather than simple clarifications.

Right now, this isn't usable, but with work it could make the grade.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I just edited it, and I completely reworked option three. I also attempted to add more humor to it, as well. More feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:04 am

Make #3 even crazier, I think. Perhaps have it so that any movie that scares anybody in the test audience is banned from general release.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:09 pm

I just edited option three, along with a few other small edits. Let me know what you think of the third option.

On another note, I'm not sure how much I like the title. Does anyone have any ideas?
Commended by SC #382

His Excellence
Envoy

Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby His Excellence » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:45 pm

I'd like to suggest "Parental Advisory Warning" or "Curtains For The Horrorshow?" as potential titles.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:05 pm

I really like the "Curtains for the Horrorshow". I'll make that the new title. Thanks!
Last edited by Sacara on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:40 pm

I made a few edits here and there and caught a few grammar errors.
Last edited by Sacara on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commended by SC #382

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Alrighty, Sacara, let's take a looksie here. :3
Gotta say that I love the format you've set this up in, but then again I'm extremely biased in that opinion. ;)

The Issue:
Last week, after the highly anticipated release of the new horror movie, “Scary Dream on Fifth Street”, there have been numerous reports that movie theaters in @@CAPITAL@@ allowed children to view the movie.
Hmm... so, was the movie released last week, or did the reports come in last week?
The former's not really implied very well, but you should replace "have" with "had" if the latter is the case. [box]Many upset parents are demanding to figure out how this happened.[/quote] They're demanding who to figure out how this happened? :P

Option 1:
“Oh, the horror!”
Good line. :clap:
What if it was their children it was affecting?
That's a bit of a strange sentence given the context. What about "Would their managers let their own children watch this?".
I'd just use "they", but idk if movie theaters have children... ;)
(Plus not all nations have private industry so I don't think "owners" works either, best go with managers)
that harming our younger generation.
that are harming*
They will be scarred for life, and think of how unproductive that will be for @@NAME@@!"
What a wrench thrown in at the end there. :rofl:
even the elderly are forced to show a form of identification to get into the newest kids movies
Nice. :3

Option 2 looks great imo. :clap:
(here's hoping I didn't miss anythin important; probably did :lol:)

Option 3:
"Back when I raised your parents, we didn't have scary movies and look how they turned out.
I'd mention that in about 20-40 years this won't be quite accurate, but in 20-40 years NS might be irrelevant anyways — here's hoping that's not the case, though. :lol:
Just something I wanted to highlight; I don't think it needs changing, but it's still there in case you err on the side of caution.
these kind of films!"
this kind or these kinds.

Overall, I've gotta say that this is a pretty well-written draft. No major changes that I can tell would be necessary.
Then again, I'm not the best at spotting those kind of things. :P

Good luck to you, Sacara. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks Jutsa for taking the time to look into my draft! I've implemented the changes that you have suggested.
Last edited by Sacara on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:19 pm

Feedback still welcome. :P
Commended by SC #382

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 pm

The last sentence of the description should be cut out, as it's unnecessary, unless you want to make it a lot funnier
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:14 am

Made some edits. Feedback is still welcome. :)
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:07 am

Generally a good idea to keep previous drafts on the OP, behind a spoiler block. This shows others where you were before comments.

As it is, this is now looking a lot better.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:25 am

This is great as is. If it were me, I'd be tempted to include a peek at the film's content in the options as they unfold.

i.e. "And that bit where he rips off the man's arm and... urgh!"

for example.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:36 am

Uh-oh, another editor on the thread.

*lick lick*

There, I've licked this issue. Under playground law, that means it is now officially mine. :p
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:37 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Uh-oh, another editor on the thread.

*lick lick*

There, I've licked this issue. Under playground law, that means it is now officially mine. :p

Well, I bow to the sacred precedent of the playground and leave this one in your safe hands!
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:38 am

Seriously though, I think it's going to be a case of first grabber will get to edit this. It's a good issue by a relatively new author. We all love issues like that.

Agree with Caracasus' comments by the way.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:39 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Uh-oh, another editor on the thread.

*lick lick*

Oho~

Ill disguise my drafts as candy in an effort to get editors to lick them.

In any case, I am a fan of this issue.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:08 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Generally a good idea to keep previous drafts on the OP, behind a spoiler block. This shows others where you were before comments.

As it is, this is now looking a lot better.

Thank you! And for future reference, I will start keeping previous versions in a spoiler.
Caracasus wrote:This is great as is. If it were me, I'd be tempted to include a peek at the film's content in the options as they unfold.

i.e. "And that bit where he rips off the man's arm and... urgh!"

for example.

I added that for options one and two. Let me know what you think now. :)

Overall, thank you guys for the great feedback. It means a lot. If anyone else has any suggestions to throw my way, have at it. :P
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:04 am

I feel like this is getting close to submission if no one else responds with any large complaints, but I won't rush anything :P
Commended by SC #382

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:04 pm

I can certainly relate to that. :P

Personally, I think it looks good for submission. Your call, I think.
(I'm not the best person to give submission advice)
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?