NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Fair Election Laws

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Neocity
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Fair Election Laws

Postby Neocity » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:41 am

Fair Election Laws

Category: Political Stability

Strength: Mild

DEFINING elections as a political process in which more than one political organisation participates to formolu a ruling government for a country.

ADMITTING the fact, that election is the base core of a democratic rulership, and it encourages all citizens of a country to actively participate in the system and allows the citizens to feel a sense of control on their own country.

However, CONCERNED that despite being democratic in paper, many countries or rather certain individualsituations or political organization's in a country misusing the gaps left in a democracy to increase their power and hold it for an unusually a long amount of time, which often exceed their elected term. This increases the corruption within the system and render it null and void.

STRESSED, that in under-developed, developing and sometimes even in developed countries, the elections are not held fairly, in that case, the democratic aim is violated and as a result, the citizens suffer most. It is also notable, that often votes are bought by money and negative adventicement about candidates confuse the general public and often robs a qualified candidate of his or her desired position.

HEREBY enacts the resolution "Fair Election Laws", which;

1) Urges all WA nations with democratic aim and tradition to hold non-aligned, fairly contested elections.

2) Requires the government of a nation, if necessary, to form an Election Committee in the time of an election. The responsibility of this committee is to supervise the election and must be non-aligned.

3) November negative advertisements about any candidate should be allowed. The involved individuals should be punished accordingly.

4) The government or Election Committee should not allow any candidates with questionable background or charges against him or her to be nominated for a position.

5) The government or Election Committee will allow a fixed fund to be donated for advertising and other costs of the campaign to each political organisations.

6) The government or Election Committee will take full responsibility for any unfavourable incidents during the election campaign and election day and will punishment the involved individuals accordingly. They will also not tolerate an post-election mishaps and will punish the involved individuals accordingly to promote tolerance and patience toward the opponent.

7) No other nations will not intercept in the election of a nation in any way.
Moon

San Hieronymi
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby San Hieronymi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:49 am

(( OOC Possibly illegal as an ideological ban against corrupt oligarchy. What is a "November Negative"? If this is in relation to US elections this could well be an illegal RL reference))
My Main area of work is in the WA General Assembly. Don't take my criticism personally, I don't like to see less than perfect proposals go to the floor so I have high standards.

Main Interests: Medical Resolutions and Moral Decency Resolutions.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:03 am

OOC: Welcome to the GA forum!

In case you are an actual newbie around here, this proposal attempt is pretty good for a first try, but I'm fairly sure that we already have a resolution that requires fair elections in nations that have elections.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Neocity
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Neocity » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Welcome to the GA forum!

In case you are an actual newbie around here, this proposal attempt is pretty good for a first try, but I'm fairly sure that we already have a resolution that requires fair elections in nations that have elections.

Sorry. Yeah i am new.
Moon

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:36 am

Neocity wrote:HEREBY enacts the resolution "Fair Election Laws", which;

Typically, GA resolutions only use the word "HEREBY" (in this case).
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:26 am

Ideological bans ban ideologies. It’s quite restricted in its application. People who want to spout things about the rules should take a look at the ruleset and then at my spreadsheet of GenSec rulings.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

San Hieronymi
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby San Hieronymi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Ideological bans ban ideologies. It’s quite restricted in its application. People who want to spout things about the rules should take a look at the ruleset and then at my spreadsheet of GenSec rulings.

((OOC: Free Speech goes to the heart of an ideology. You simply couldn't run an oppressive dictatorship with American style free speech laws, can you point to any dictatorship that has absolute free speech? Certain things go to the heart of an ideology, if you take them away then it is simply impossible to have that type of state. There are only a small number of such issues but they do exist. This would be an ideological ban by the back door. That rule is there as far as I am aware to allow all the different sorts of nations to have a home here and allow them to participate in the WA.))
Last edited by San Hieronymi on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Main area of work is in the WA General Assembly. Don't take my criticism personally, I don't like to see less than perfect proposals go to the floor so I have high standards.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Neocity wrote:Fair Election Laws

Category: Political Stability

Strength: Mild

DEFINING elections as a political process in which more than one political organisation participates to formolu a ruling government for a country.

ADMITTING the fact, that election is the base core of a democratic rulership, and it encourages all citizens of a country to actively participate in the system and allows the citizens to feel a sense of control on their own country.

However, CONCERNED that despite being democratic in paper, many countries or rather certain individualsituations or political organization's in a country misusing the gaps left in a democracy to increase their power and hold it for an unusually a long amount of time, which often exceed their elected term. This increases the corruption within the system and render it null and void.

STRESSED, that in under-developed, developing and sometimes even in developed countries, the elections are not held fairly, in that case, the democratic aim is violated and as a result, the citizens suffer most. It is also notable, that often votes are bought by money and negative adventicement about candidates confuse the general public and often robs a qualified candidate of his or her desired position.

HEREBY enacts the resolution "Fair Election Laws", which;

1) Urges all WA nations with democratic aim and tradition to hold non-aligned, fairly contested elections.

2) Requires the government of a nation, if necessary, to form an Election Committee in the time of an election. The responsibility of this committee is to supervise the election and must be non-aligned.

3) November negative advertisements about any candidate should be allowed. The involved individuals should be punished accordingly.

4) The government or Election Committee should not allow any candidates with questionable background or charges against him or her to be nominated for a position.

5) The government or Election Committee will allow a fixed fund to be donated for advertising and other costs of the campaign to each political organisations.

6) The government or Election Committee will take full responsibility for any unfavourable incidents during the election campaign and election day and will punishment the involved individuals accordingly. They will also not tolerate an post-election mishaps and will punish the involved individuals accordingly to promote tolerance and patience toward the opponent.

I don't see this as "Political Stability"
Political Stability - A resolution to restrict political freedoms in the interest of law and order.

Also;

Why only November? That seems rather random and unnecessarily specific. The two sentences also appear to contradict each other.
(OOC: NS =/= US)

Well, this is rather vague.
Charges? Speeding ticket? It's a charge.
Questionable background? According to whom?

Vague and micromanagement at the same time. That's pretty special.

Intercept what? Flyers and letters?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The First German Order
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:08 pm

“... we don’t have elections.”
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Founded: Aug 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:25 pm

San Hieronymi wrote:((OOC: Free Speech goes to the heart of an ideology. You simply couldn't run an oppressive dictatorship with American style free speech laws, can you point to any dictatorship that has absolute free speech? Certain things go to the heart of an ideology, if you take them away then it is simply impossible to have that type of state. There are only a small number of such issues but they do exist. This would be an ideological ban by the back door. That rule is there as far as I am aware to allow all the different sorts of nations to have a home here and allow them to participate in the WA.))

If that's the case then with the sheer amount of human rights legislation that the WA has, dictatorships are basically impossible.

San Hieronymi
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby San Hieronymi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:31 pm

Stoskavanya wrote:
San Hieronymi wrote:((OOC: Free Speech goes to the heart of an ideology. You simply couldn't run an oppressive dictatorship with American style free speech laws, can you point to any dictatorship that has absolute free speech? Certain things go to the heart of an ideology, if you take them away then it is simply impossible to have that type of state. There are only a small number of such issues but they do exist. This would be an ideological ban by the back door. That rule is there as far as I am aware to allow all the different sorts of nations to have a home here and allow them to participate in the WA.))

If that's the case then with the sheer amount of human rights legislation that the WA has, dictatorships are basically impossible.

((OOC Free Speech is a bit more of an issue. It would be hard to effectively run a dictatorship but not impossible. I think of china here that has a lot of laws about these matters but still manages to be an effective oligarchy / dictatorship. Free Speech though is much more restricted even though it exists, so one can have it yet it could be pushed too far and make playing anything other than a democracy quite implausible. TBH I imagine a lot of WA members actually ignore WA resolutions though they are technically compliant, so that they can actually run an oppressive government, lets not make that more the case by passing this sort of legislation.))

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:07 pm

San Hieronymi wrote:
Stoskavanya wrote:If that's the case then with the sheer amount of human rights legislation that the WA has, dictatorships are basically impossible.

((OOC Free Speech is a bit more of an issue. It would be hard to effectively run a dictatorship but not impossible.))

OOC: Not difficult or impossible at all, and you don't even have to get very creative with your compliance. A lot of the resolutions, like Freedom of Expression, don't actually do what people think they do. Authoritarian dictatorships are completely possible. True communism might not be, because of the copyright/patent fuckery that GenSec declared legal, but even there you need just a little creativity to make it possible again.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Welcome to the GA forum!

I second what Araraukar has said, and you can find the resolutions that covers this here.
I see, therefore I am not blind.

San Hieronymi
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby San Hieronymi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Araraukar wrote:
San Hieronymi wrote:((OOC Free Speech is a bit more of an issue. It would be hard to effectively run a dictatorship but not impossible.))

OOC: Not difficult or impossible at all, and you don't even have to get very creative with your compliance. A lot of the resolutions, like Freedom of Expression, don't actually do what people think they do. Authoritarian dictatorships are completely possible. True communism might not be, because of the copyright/patent fuckery that GenSec declared legal, but even there you need just a little creativity to make it possible again.

(( OOC I am not talking so much about current resolutions but on what would happen if a slow creep advanced with proposals like the one drafted above and the other draft proposal currently being worked on))
Last edited by San Hieronymi on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:26 pm

San Hieronymi wrote:(( OOC I am not talking so much about current resolutions but on what would happen if a slow creep advanced with proposals like the one drafted above and the other draft proposal currently being worked on))

OOC: That "slow creep" has already happened pretty much as far as it can, without tripping over the ideological ban rule. EDIT: I suggest looking at the copyright and patent law resolutions' debate threads to see what I meant with the resistance, and there's at least one Legality Challenge thread somewhere on one of them.
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Araraukar wrote:
San Hieronymi wrote:(( OOC I am not talking so much about current resolutions but on what would happen if a slow creep advanced with proposals like the one drafted above and the other draft proposal currently being worked on))

OOC: That "slow creep" has already happened pretty much as far as it can, without tripping over the ideological ban rule. EDIT: I suggest looking at the copyright and patent law resolutions' debate threads to see what I meant with the resistance, and there's at least one Legality Challenge thread somewhere on one of them.

Or just go to my GenSec rulings catalogue, hit the column that says 'rules applied', go to the one that says 'Ideological Ban', and bam: viewtopic.php?p=31219662#p31219662

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:21 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: That "slow creep" has already happened pretty much as far as it can, without tripping over the ideological ban rule. EDIT: I suggest looking at the copyright and patent law resolutions' debate threads to see what I meant with the resistance, and there's at least one Legality Challenge thread somewhere on one of them.

Or just go to my GenSec rulings catalogue, hit the column that says 'rules applied', go to the one that says 'Ideological Ban', and bam: viewtopic.php?p=31219662#p31219662

OOC: That works for the challenge and the ruling, but the resolutions' debate threads, before they passed into resolutions, are valuable for understanding the pro-and-against stances, as well.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:40 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Or just go to my GenSec rulings catalogue, hit the column that says 'rules applied', go to the one that says 'Ideological Ban', and bam: viewtopic.php?p=31219662#p31219662

OOC: That works for the challenge and the ruling, but the resolutions' debate threads, before they passed into resolutions, are valuable for understanding the pro-and-against stances, as well.

Also linked my GenSec rulings catalogue, see the 'Proposal thread' column. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=394978 If you want the GenSec internal discussion thread, see that column too. If you want a short summary, see the Comments column. Everything is populated for [2017] GAS 4.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:32 am

"Clause 3 doesn't make sense, if November negative adverts are allowed, why are the candidates involved being punished? Also what is a November negative."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:35 am

The First German Order wrote:“... we don’t have elections.”

"Then you shouldn't have to do anything."
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Mazemba
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mazemba » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:53 am

Until such time as the Assembly mandates that all nations hold elections it's absurd to continue passing resolutions on how elections are to be conducted. It leaves us with allegedly pro-democracy legislation that finds fault with democratic nations while dictatorships and absolute monarchies are automatically compliant.
Abraham Mabele
Ambassador of The Kingdom of Mazemba to the World Assembly

Executive Staff Member - The North Pacific Ministry of World Assembly Affairs

As Uan aa Boa, author of GA #422 Promotion of Sustainable Timber (repealed)

Tinfect
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:49 am

San Hieronymi wrote:((OOC: Free Speech goes to the heart of an ideology. You simply couldn't run an oppressive dictatorship with American style free speech laws,

OOC:
Oh you sweet summer child.

San Hieronymi wrote:can you point to any dictatorship that has absolute free speech?

Hi! This is the Imperium of Tinfect, your friendly, neighborhood Fascist Dictatorship! Won't you be my neighbor?

San Hieronymi wrote:Certain things go to the heart of an ideology, if you take them away then it is simply impossible to have that type of state.

Unfortunately, the standing interpretation of the ideological ban rule doesn't agree with that.

San Hieronymi wrote:There are only a small number of such issues but they do exist.

Mate ,government corruption isn't an ideology.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, He/Him
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, He/Him
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, She/Her

Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL CITIZENS ARE TO PROCEED TO EVACUATION SITES IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL FURTHER SUBSPACE SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS ARE TO BE DISABLED IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: THE FOLLOWING SYSTEMS ARE ACCESS PROHIBITED BY STANDARD/BLACKOUT [Error: Format Unrecognized] | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:59 pm

There is freedom of speech, but I cannot guarantee freedom after speech.
– Idi Amin

Q: What is the difference between the Constitutions of the USA and USSR? Both of them guarantee freedom of speech.
A: Yes, but the Constitution of the USA also guarantees freedom after the speech.
– Radio Yerevan
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:36 am

"In the first clause, there should be an “s” on the end of “organisations” and I believe “formulu” should be “formulate”."
My pronouns are he/him.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly