NATION

PASSWORD

An Olympics Mini-Game

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Tessen
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 21, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

An Olympics Mini-Game

Postby Tessen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:04 pm

You know, it occurred to me just now, NationStates missed a great opportunity for another one of their iconic special-event mini-games (like the Zombie Apocalypse, etc) -- the NS world Olympics.

For example....

A creative (but simple) system is put into place where each player/nation can train a handful of athletes (probably via a variety of selected "training packages", or something of the sort, that allows unique and skill-varied athlete characters). Sporting events (either reflective of real-life Olympic events, NS-specific sports, or both) then take place during the mini-game event that compare the player-built athletes in some way -- thus reflecting their participation in those events. And gold, silver, and bronze medals are awarded to the national athletes/characters, with, perhaps some sort of recognition on nation pages to reflect how well a player/nation's athletes did in the event (i.e., a "medal count", like the media presents in their coverage of the real Games).

Now, admittedly, this is just an idea that came to mind -- I haven't worked out any mechanics. Nonetheless, this strikes me as a special mini-game event that might work in the future -- perhaps in honor of the real Olympics, whenever they take place in real world. And the mini-game could be coded on a whole-world level, or a regional level.

As a nation-building game, this seems like an ideal mini-game concept for a game world full of unique and competitive nations.

Just an idea, of course. Just a thought. Anyone else want to build on it?
Last edited by Tessen on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Director of the American Union and American Independent States roleplay regions.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:18 am

The Sports forum has a version of the Olympics, which is similar to what you described, except that it is player-run event instead of a minigame, and it uses player-made tools for scoring:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=432518
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=435729
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

The dark Panther
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The dark Panther » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:39 pm

Tessen wrote:You know, it occurred to me just now, NationStates missed a great opportunity for another one of their iconic special-event mini-games (like the Zombie Apocalypse, etc) -- the NS world Olympics.

For example....

A creative (but simple) system is put into place where each player/nation can train a handful of athletes (probably via a variety of selected "training packages", or something of the sort, that allows unique and skill-varied athlete characters). Sporting events (either reflective of real-life Olympic events, NS-specific sports, or both) then take place during the mini-game event that compare the player-built athletes in some way -- thus reflecting their participation in those events. And gold, silver, and bronze medals are awarded to the national athletes/characters, with, perhaps some sort of recognition on nation pages to reflect how well a player/nation's athletes did in the event (i.e., a "medal count", like the media presents in their coverage of the real Games).

Now, admittedly, this is just an idea that came to mind -- I haven't worked out any mechanics. Nonetheless, this strikes me as a special mini-game event that might work in the future -- perhaps in honor of the real Olympics, whenever they take place in real world. And the mini-game could be coded on a whole-world level, or a regional level.

As a nation-building game, this seems like an ideal mini-game concept for a game world full of unique and competitive nations.

Just an idea, of course. Just a thought. Anyone else want to build on it?

Make it yearly like the Overwatch "Summer Games" Event
New nation is Rusthenia

Return to Technical