NATION

PASSWORD

Human Intelligence Theorem

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Corpus Magnus
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Corpus Magnus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm

I personally find intelligence to be more of a social construct than an actual definable concept. I doubt any species outside of ours has a concept of intelligence, as we do. "Intelligence" is little more than a meaningless subjective observation of perceived knowledge or talent, not a quality that one can possess or truly define.
Corpus Magnus: A militaristic and economically stagnant land of cynical, sarcastic people severely divided by race, social class, and language, oppressed and barely held together by eight bickering, incompetent but ambitious politicians and warriors who supposedly profess loyalty to an all-powerful but rarely present dictator. All hail the Omniscient! Praise to Corpus Magnus!
A 21.6 civilization, according to this index.

OOC: Proud member of the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Also known as Republica Conquistadora.

New Emeline
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:54 pm

Corpus Magnus wrote:I personally find intelligence to be more of a social construct than an actual definable concept. I doubt any species outside of ours has a concept of intelligence, as we do. "Intelligence" is little more than a meaningless subjective observation of perceived knowledge or talent, not a quality that one can possess or truly define.

I would agree there in that any non-earth species we encounter will have ideas about the world entirely strange to us and most likely incomprehensible.

Corpus Magnus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Corpus Magnus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:55 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Corpus Magnus wrote:I personally find intelligence to be more of a social construct than an actual definable concept. I doubt any species outside of ours has a concept of intelligence, as we do. "Intelligence" is little more than a meaningless subjective observation of perceived knowledge or talent, not a quality that one can possess or truly define.

I would agree there in that any non-earth species we encounter will have ideas about the world entirely strange to us and most likely incomprehensible.

I think that our ideas about the world are more ridiculous and incomprehensible than any that an alien species could hold.
Corpus Magnus: A militaristic and economically stagnant land of cynical, sarcastic people severely divided by race, social class, and language, oppressed and barely held together by eight bickering, incompetent but ambitious politicians and warriors who supposedly profess loyalty to an all-powerful but rarely present dictator. All hail the Omniscient! Praise to Corpus Magnus!

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:57 pm

Corpus Magnus wrote:
New Emeline wrote:I would agree there in that any non-earth species we encounter will have ideas about the world entirely strange to us and most likely incomprehensible.

I think that our ideas about the world are more ridiculous and incomprehensible than any that an alien species could hold.

Well, that's rather subjective. Along with anything else we believe or think we know. There could be creatures that have an entirely different set of senses or experience time in an non-linear fashion. It's likely nothing we experience or understand is universal.

Corpus Magnus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Corpus Magnus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:15 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Corpus Magnus wrote:I think that our ideas about the world are more ridiculous and incomprehensible than any that an alien species could hold.

Well, that's rather subjective. Along with anything else we believe or think we know. There could be creatures that have an entirely different set of senses or experience time in an non-linear fashion. It's likely nothing we experience or understand is universal.

Ah, the philosophy of existence. I prefer to keep my distance and leave the pointless philosophical speculation that has no relevance to actual life to old Greek men.

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Corpus Magnus wrote:
New Emeline wrote:Well, that's rather subjective. Along with anything else we believe or think we know. There could be creatures that have an entirely different set of senses or experience time in an non-linear fashion. It's likely nothing we experience or understand is universal.

Ah, the philosophy of existence. I prefer to keep my distance and leave the pointless philosophical speculation that has no relevance to actual life to old Greek men.

Well, this whole thread essentially consists of philosophical navel gazing. If you want practicality I don't think this is the place.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:17 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Corpus Magnus wrote:I think that our ideas about the world are more ridiculous and incomprehensible than any that an alien species could hold.

Well, that's rather subjective. Along with anything else we believe or think we know. There could be creatures that have an entirely different set of senses or experience time in an non-linear fashion. It’s likely nothing we experience or understand is universal.

Exactly my point
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Corpus Magnus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Corpus Magnus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:21 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Corpus Magnus wrote:Ah, the philosophy of existence. I prefer to keep my distance and leave the pointless philosophical speculation that has no relevance to actual life to old Greek men.

Well, this whole thread essentially consists of philosophical navel gazing. If you want practicality I don't think this is the place.

Oh, I find philosophy interesting. There gets to be a point, though, when no one has any idea what they are talking about or what they're trying to say and the discussion dives into a mess of meaningless nonsense.

At least, that's how all the philosophical debates I have participated in have turned out.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Corpus Magnus wrote:
New Emeline wrote:Well, this whole thread essentially consists of philosophical navel gazing. If you want practicality I don't think this is the place.

Oh, I find philosophy interesting. There gets to be a point, though, when no one has any idea what they are talking about or what they're trying to say and the discussion dives into a mess of meaningless nonsense.

At least, that’s how all the philosophical debates I have participated in have turned out.

To avoid that philosophical mess, I created this theorem.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Corpus Magnus wrote:Oh, I find philosophy interesting. There gets to be a point, though, when no one has any idea what they are talking about or what they're trying to say and the discussion dives into a mess of meaningless nonsense.

At least, that’s how all the philosophical debates I have participated in have turned out.

I find it a very interesting one.

Corpus Magnus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Corpus Magnus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:27 pm

Corpus Magnus wrote:
New Emeline wrote:Well, this whole thread essentially consists of philosophical navel gazing. If you want practicality I don't think this is the place.

At least, that's how all the philosophical debates I have participated in have turned out.

Also, keep in mind that I'm a critic and I spend an inordinate amount of time criticizing everything (even my own strong beliefs.) Philosophy is one of the many things I enjoy criticizing.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Corpus Magnus wrote:

That's because you're not engaging with Greeks. They have the genes for it.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:08 am

Aureumterra wrote:
Corpus Magnus wrote:Oh, I find philosophy interesting. There gets to be a point, though, when no one has any idea what they are talking about or what they're trying to say and the discussion dives into a mess of meaningless nonsense.

But it really doesn't do that, and it isn't a "theorem" anyway, it isn't nearly developed enough to be classed as such. It is an aphorism at best. Take it from someone who has an MA in Philosophy and an MLitt in Continental Philosophy, your "theorem" falls short in many areas, and is extremely derivative, it isn't new...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General