NATION

PASSWORD

On The Maintenance of Peace [ATTN ARTHURIA, open to Noctur]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Nui-ta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

On The Maintenance of Peace [ATTN ARTHURIA, open to Noctur]

Postby Nui-ta » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:59 am

To: Thor Hammarskold, Federal Minister of Foreign Affairs, Arthurian Isles
From: Elrin Saharta, Minister of External Affairs, Nui-ta
Encryption: High

-------

Minister Hammarskold,

On behalf of Prime Minister Talia Dehran, and with the assent of the Emperor, I would firstly like to thank you for your inquiry regarding the establishment of peace-keeping forces in Karas. I am personally glad that someone sees the instability still latent within our own little slice of Noctur, and the continued dangers that these tensions can pose if not properly managed in the present.

While some governments would have the world believe that the conflict is over, the level of instability in the whole of Zanzes causes me great concern. I make no secret of the fact that I believe the UNCA remains the worst threat to stability in Karas at this moment. As evidence, I would present the vast difference in living situations and governments between UNCA-controlled Zanzes, and independent Zanzes --- but I have no authority to speak for the nation of South Zanzes and can only offer my own opinion in this regard.

On the matter of opinion, it is also my firmest opinion that the matter of Karasian stability must not be limited to Nui-tan oversight. While I could name a multitude of arguments to support my opinion, I will limit this argument to the fact that what is happening in Karas has the potential to shape the larger world of Noctur. I do not believe that certain other countries have realized this critical fact; that their own governments and international stabilities are potentially at risk due to the power struggle that this situation has caused. It is my extreme hope that by allowing Arthurian peacekeeping initiatives in Karas, it will be possible for outsiders to Karas to understand for themselves exactly the situation the entire world may be in.

I can only assume that the Arthurian government has pushed forth initiatives for peacekeeping operations in the Monarchy, in the Hadinian Theocracy, in the Imperial Protectorate, and possibly in the Theocracy's own holdings. I can obviously only address the offer within the bounds of my own authority --- Arthuria's request to instate a peacekeeping force on Nui-tan soil will be approved. The Nui-tan government extends a return request to have this initiative officialized in the Vestmannaeyjar Accords, or an appropriate amendment to it. Given Arthuria's position of "armed neutrality", but also an increased desire to co-operate with Arthuria in regards to international security, we feel that this arrangement may possibly be the best option in lieu of a full-scale military alliance.

Please don't hesitate to contact the External Affairs Ministry if this initiative requires anything.

Sincerely,

Elrin Saharta
Someone cares? Okay then. Economic Left/Right: -2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

INFP-T personality, quite heavy on the I,P, and T.

Hadin
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hadin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:25 pm

To Thor Hammarskjold, Federal Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Arthurian Isles
From Janus Kafka, Hadinian Councilman of Foreign Affairs
ENCRYPTION: HIGH

----------

Mr. Hammarskjold,

I write this dispatch as a response to your inquiry of the insertion of peace-keeping forces on Hadinian soil, given the current situation in Karas.

With consideration of the current geopolitical situation in southern Terra Occidens, most notably tensions between the holdings of the Nui-tan Empire and the Hadinian Theocracy, I would like to state that your proposal has been conditionally approved.

I will start with the "bad news", as some international customs dictate. While Arthurian entrance on Hadinian soil is not an issue, the territory of Hadinian Zanzes is expressly off-limits to any nation with non-UNCA ties. Seglandic and Algrabadi assistance in the management of Hadinian Zanzes, and greater Axis-affiliated Zanzes in general, is already in high supply. This, combined with security concerns for the Axis, and consideration of the fact that Arthuria is not a member of the United Nocturian Co-Operation Axis out of consideration for its own "armed neutrality" stances, must cause me to decline any entry into Hadinian Zanzes.

I do hope you understand our concerns as to this matter.

Moving forward, Hadin is more than happy to welcome peace-keeping forces on its own soil. Given the current initiative of High-Envoy Fiete Nikastro with the Nui-tan Emperor di-Amori to conduct operations towards a working peace, the High-Envoyship views it as only all too good that Arthuria would be willing to assist in maintaining this enforced peace.

We will discuss the specifics in a less impersonal manner, should Arthuria be willing to accept our current proposal. We will also expressly work towards and guarantee, to the best of our ability, the comfort and security of our gracious guests, should this initiative be followed through.

The establishment of a temporary base of operations for this peacekeeping force will be, with Arthurian oversight, handled by the Hadinian government. The peacekeeping force is tentatively offered one year of stay for operations within the country, after which time the governments of Hadin and Arthuria shall come to a joint agreement on whether or not the continuation of this initiative is necessary. Should a more permanent arrangement be agreed to, Arthuria will have full leave to establish a more permanent base of operations within the country.

Septima's blessings,

Janus Kafka
Just so you know, this nation, in character, is a highly sexist, highly theocratic, and highly authoritarian state. (Though under the new guy, it seems to be improving a little).

I disagree with a lot of what this nation stands for. It was invented for its intrigue and ample opportunities for satire, not for its ideals.

The Arthurian Isles
Envoy

Founded: Feb 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Arthurian Isles » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:10 am

"It's a strange place, this."

Erik approached the deck's railing an rested up against it. Next to him, Thor was doing the same. The two made for an odd pair; Thor was dressed like some stylish tourist, shorts and a loose shirt, while Erik wore the functional camouflaged uniform of a soldier, a maroon beret sloping over his right eye and a collection of stripes on his shoulder as a sign of his authority1. It was quite the juxtaposition, and a novel one too. It took a five-day sea voyage and thousands of miles to enable it to happen at all.

Arthuria's relationship with its defence forces was conflicted. Almost every citizen had served at some point, thanks to universal conscription and a large system of reserves. It was common to see young men or women in uniform travelling on the trains, training in the countryside, or doing any job which the government couldn't handle without them. Their presence was recognised as an absolute necessity for a country as small as Arthuria, whose sovereignty rested solely on its ability to defend it. Consequently, the defence forces were respected. But Arthuria was also a peaceful nation; it had not gone to war against another state in its history, and Arthurian soldiers had fired shots in anger only once in a brief and remarkably bloodless civil war. The government was democratic to its core, and continued a long line of stable administrations which protected and promoted individual liberty. Against this backdrop, an army was an institution which should properly be kept out of the halls of power, which should be firmly subordinated to the civil administration, and whose presence alongside politicians was to be treated with suspicion. Arthuria's military was therefore highly depoliticised, confined to the simple task of defending the country's sovereignty, and wary of anything else.

But the two men betrayed an easier relationship than such a philosophy might suggest. They had worked together for years now (the necessities of government work meaning that Thor's co-operation with the military was inevitable) and had developed a friendship of sorts, albeit one based on fierce debates (again, a byproduct of working in government). Erik was at his rawest a good soldier, one who served his country and his conscience even if he was in professional disagreement either. He saw that as his duty, even when his assessment of the national interest did not align with his instructions. When Thor had approached him three years ago, therefore, with requests for a so-called 'peacekeeping strategy', he had begrudgingly set his subordinates on the task. But he had argued with Thor the entire time, pleading him to reconsider such drastic changes of an institution to which he had dedicated his life. That they were sailing together now to implement that strategy was a sign of Thor's ability to win followers to his cause - 'mischief', as Erik called it. Actually, Erik was not a supporter of Thor's plan, but he was a believer in his country and its peaceful, democratic, constitutional order. So he received the instructions from his civilian chief and converted them into military facts. Now, he was preparing to convince three separate countries of those facts. It was fortunate that he took so much pride in his work.

"Yes." Thor replied. He let the judgement linger for a short moment of silence. "I travelled here before. It ensnared me."

"I can see why."

The scene in front of them was dominated by a great tropical sun, half-buried in the horizon and sinking further still. It sent a blood-orange glow across the sea, broken by gentle waves kicked up in the breeze. They lapped against the hull of the ship, a constant soothing noise which was broken by more intermittent sounds: flocks of sea birds squawked by; other ships, silhouetted in front of the sun, steamed past; sailors in various levels of undress took advantage of the warmer climate than Arthuria to chatter and drink beers on the helicopter deck. At the stern, a large Arthurian flag caught the wind and unfurled itself, tugging at the hoist-ropes and rippling at the fly. Everything about their setting was different from Arthuria. The warm colours, the heat, the sense of uncaring freedom and the potential which it brought, it was all as though you could live unhindered so long as you could manage to tread the narrow path between order and chaos.

"But it's no home, is it?" Erik asked.

Thor smirked, only briefly, quickly returning to his contemplative state. Erik saw none of that; he was still staring at the setting sun when Thor replied. "No, it's something quite different."

"Thor," Erik turned to face his friend. "I know how strongly you believe in what you're doing." Thor glanced over. Was this another attempt to to talk him down from his plans, so far into their execution? "But you must proceed with caution."

"It's too late to change the course of events now, Erik."

"I know." He turned back out towards the view in front of them. "I don't pretend to think that I can stop you from going ahead with this. Nor should I. You have made your case, and the Storting has accepted. I am beholden to them."

"Then what it is it you want me to do?"

"I don't want you to do anything." Erik responded. "I am warning you."

Thor was notoriously straight-faced. He bore his emotions behind a facade which gave little away. It was, in part, why he was such an effective political actor. He was greatly aided by his intelligence, which meant that he was rarely without an answer to a question. As such, he was not one to look puzzled. Erik's sincere injunction was enough for Thor to furrow his brow, though, and narrow his eyes. Perhaps he had spent so long arguing with the stubborn old general that he had failed to anticipate a genuine desire to help.

Erik, himself unused to Thor's lack of response, let the silence between them lie heavy for some time. He was intelligent too, in his own way. The quietness gave his words the gravitas which they deserved. "You have fought for high ideals. You have won the rational argument. This strategy of yours is coming into reality, and I cannot stop that. But by entering the world of mortals it is exposing itself to our limitations: our propensity to err, our tendency towards trickery, and our fundamental irrationality. Do not be surprised when these obstacles sweep your supporters from under your feet and plant doubt in your own mind."

Thor stared at Erik. He was used to such pessimism from him. A part of him was nonetheless intrigued, for this sounded different from his usual admonitions. This was no appeal to Thor's intellectual side, rather Erik was touching on his emotions. He let the general go on, uninterrupted.

"When this happens, you must keep going. No plan survives its first contact with the enemy, but it invariably succeeds if its leader has enough presence of mind and quiet conviction to see it through to its ultimate end. The coming conflicts will be as much political as they are military; I will do all I can to ensure that my troops uphold their duty, but you must not back down in the face of political pressure." He turned to meet Thor's gaze. "From what I have seen of you, you won't."

Erik raised himself off the railing. He was tall, taller than Thor for certain. He nodded a smile towards his friend and strolled back towards the ship's insides. As he crossed the deck, a sailor walked by, braced up, and raised his fist to his left shoulder in salute. Thor looked on, that puzzled look still present.

The Æsgard 2 was an atypical choice for diplomatic meetings. A weapon of war, it did not exude an atmosphere of peace and co-operation. The hundred or so uniformed sailors, the naval guns, the colourless hull, all were reminders of the organised violence that was a part of Noctur. The ship had been chosen as the meeting place for discussions on a Karasian peacekeeping effort because it was the only practical solution; Arthuria was a remote and frozen archipelago far to the south, while in the countries of Karas tensions still ran high enough for state visits to risk more hatred than they would resolve. But the practical reality had exposed a sort of paradoxical truth which lay at the heart of the meeting, the first of its kind. War was necessary for peace. Political violence, directed discretely and within defined limits, was a means of ensuring that the order and stability which made life bearable could exist. Of course, such an order would itself become unbearable were it to be devoid of justice. And so, a summit of leaders seeking justice was to take place on a floating manifestation of enforced order. It was a grim sort of poetry of which many in the world did not want to be reminded. Unfortunately, reality had forced it upon them, and so the Æsgard lay at anchor in the international waters south of Nui-ta, its helicopter deck lined with sailors and a small group of Arthurians far away from their home.

That small group was, in fact, four people. Thor was at the head, now in a much smarter suit and tie, resting on his cane and breaking into a sweat in the tropical sun. To his right was Erik, dressed in the black dress uniform of the defence forces, with a Sam Browne and raised collar, and the maroon beret of the army. Beside him was Andri Jonsen, the Federal Minister of Defence, in a shirt with sleeves rolled up and top button undone. Finally, a young aide stood behind them with an innocuous briefcase.

Beneath them, below decks, the captain's quarters had been transformed into a meeting room with furniture taken from a government warehouse. It looked almost like any normal conference room, with a wooden oval table and modern chairs. At the end of the room, the flags of Arthuria, Hadin, Nui-ta and Zanzes hung perfectly still on their poles, arranged in alphabetical order so as to cause as little consternation as possible. At every seat, a glass and a jug of water awaited alongside a pen, pad of paper and tablet. A temporary screen had been affixed at another end of the room, currently only displaying a map of Karas. The only sign of the unusual location was the rippling of water in the jugs, as the ship swayed gently from side to side. Back up on the helicopter deck, despite the number of people there was relative silence. Noises drifted in from the sea around them, but every person on deck, from the sailors who stood at ease around the railings to the nervous group of four, was quiet.

From over the sounds of the waves and the wind, the regular whirl of helicopter blades became ever more noticeable. The sailors came to attention.

1 Grunden Harmarskal (Ground Chief Marshal) is an officer rank of the Ground Self-Defence Force, Arthuria's army. It is the highest possible rank in that service, and is awarded to the Chief of the Ground Staff.

2 FSDS Æsgard is a Federal Self-Defence Ship of the Maritime Self-Defence Force. As a frigate, it is one of Arthuria's only ocean-going warships. It is named after the Æsgard mountain range in southern Arthuria, a name which translates as 'Garden of Ice'.
Last edited by The Arthurian Isles on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zanzes
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanzes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 pm

The first helicopter, appearing slightly earlier than intended, was clearly of Nui-tan make and model --- but there was something off about it.

The insignia and the colors were the first major clue that this wasn't Nui-ta at all: on closer inspection, as the helicopter neared, one could see the familiar flag of the old Zanzeanic nation, which South Zanzes had adopted as its placeholder standard.

Under a provisional government held in force by Nui-ta and a few old, experienced Zanze, the nation of South Zanzes currently lacked much in the way of direction. They had no permanent plans for a government, although a constitution was being drawn up as everyone spoke. The nation also lacked for a host of other things: factories, airports, modern military equipment --- either Zanzes utterly lacked it, or Nui-ta was currently furnishing it. The hastily repainted aircraft carrying the Zanzeanic delegation was a testament to this fact.

At least the Zanzean pilots had been taught how to fly. The helicopter made a remarkably smooth landing on the deck of the aircraft carrier. A chubby Zanzean, dark of hair, but with brilliant emerald eyes, climbed out of the plane. Accompanying him were a few assorted aides and bodyguards, mostly Zanzean --- but there was one Nui-tan woman among the mix, distinguishable by the military dress uniform she was clad in, who was very likely there out of being charged by the dominant country to keep a watchful eye on the more clueless nation.

The Zanze approached the Arthurian delegation. The chubby man seemed all too happy to be there, practically skipping towards Thor and Erik, while his Nui-tan follower trailed behind bearing a more serious demeanor. As the man approached, he suddenly dropped to the floor. While it might have appeared that he had fallen and could not get up, closer inspection revealed he was doing a kow-tow. The Nui-tan woman, embarrassed, quickly paid her respects to the Arthurians with a quick standing bow, of the Nui-tan fashion1. She then knelt down, whispered something into the Zanzean man's ear, and caused him to rise up and apologize.

He began speaking to them in his native tongue --- the only one he apparently knew --- while the Nui-tan woman translated his words into English.

"Good afternoon," the man said. "I am the Provisional Governor of South Zanzes. My name is Nader Hadil Alfarsi2".

To the surprise of the Nui-tan woman, but not to the rest of the delegation, the man promptly produced a sealed, official looking letter. He began to speak, and the woman translated, becoming more and more surprised with each word.

"I was told to send this official communication to your prestigious country via 'air-mail'. This presents a problem. I have no couriers in my nation who can fly, and your nation is too far away for me to throw the letter to. Thus with "air-mail" failing, I decided to deliver it personally". As soon as the woman finished translating, she interjected her own opinion, much to the ignorance of the Zanzeanic delegation.

"I'm...I'm sorry. These people still don't understand the concept of airplanes or air-mail --- and email isn't any easier to explain. Next time I'll mail his correspondence myself".

She blushed a little. "They mean well though..."

To: Thor Hammarskold, Minister of Arthurian Foreign Affairs

From: Nader Hadil Alfarsi, Provisional Governor, Protectorate of South Zanzes

----

Greetings!

To the great nation of Arthuria, South Zanzes has received your offer of peacekeeping work within our humble nation. I am very happy to have received the blessing of our Emperor to accept your interest towards us. Many South Zanzeans will benefit from this wonderful endeavor. I have absolutely no reason to decline you.

As South Zanzes works hard to install a permanent government, we fear the contentious times ahead of us. Hanging unto our independence was so difficult a task that we honestly thought of it as a failed dream. I could not picture South Zanzes as an independent nation with no friends in this world. Arthuria's interest in us gives me hope that maybe there might still be a chance.

Arthuria has all guest-rights entitled to it, insofar as South Zanzes can humbly achieve. We welcome you into our nation with highest hopes of a peaceful future. I look forward to personally receiving your people in South Zanzes.

All the best,

Nader Hadil Alfarsi.

1Traditionally, Karas has been very formal in its policies of etiquette and social interaction. Though the greetings vary from country to country, various bows are usually implemented to greet someone, rather than hand-shakes.

In Zanzes, a full kow-tow is expected when meeting someone of a socially higher position, while a standing bow is reserved for informal situations. To omit a bow altogether indicates one of two things: utter disrespect, or a very close relationship; people with the latter condition usually greet each other with a warm embrace.

In Nui-ta, the kow-tow has fallen into disuse. In very formal situations, such as meeting the Emperor or apologizing for an extreme offense, one might practice the sitting bow, where one gets down on the knees and lowers the back all the way down. Otherwise, for formalities, the standing bow is acceptable. Informal situations (among close friends) call for an informal bow, known as a Wai internationally. Even close friends, spouses, and family will still greet each other with a wai. Handshakes are reserved for foreigners.

Hadin is actually the most receptive culture to hand-shakes, picking up the practice for informal situations and for greeting foreigners. In a formal situation between Hadinians, the accepted greeting is a salute or a head-bow. One could say that in this regard, it is actually the Hadinians who are the most egalitarian of the lot.

2The Zanzean nomenclature allots a person three names, going from broadest to most specific. The first name presented was once one's rank in society, but this system was abandoned at the end of the Karasian War in favor of a more geographically-friendly system, where the first of the third names announced where someone was from. The second of the three names is one's family name, and the last, one's actual given name.

Thus, Nader Hadil Alfarsi translates out to "Alfarsi Hadil, of Nader".

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:37 am

There was yet another Nui-tan helicopter on the horizon soon after, but this one bore no suspicious characteristics. The insignia and various decals bore the blue and gold of the Monarchy, as they should have. The helicopter also flew a bit more gracefully; the pilot was clearly far more experienced, and the nation itself had been introduced to the concept of aviation far earlier than Zanzes.

After the Nui-tan aircraft had landed firmly on the deck of the FSDS Æsgard, a graceful woman stepped out, accompanied by various Nui-tan aides. Those who were familiar with the international section of Arthurian newspapers most likely recognized her as Nui-ta's current Prime Minister, Talia Dehran. There was a complicated air about the female Prime Minister, a woman whose position and legacy stood in the shadow of her predecessors.

Talia was acutely aware of the fact that had Paolo Medici remained in office, he would have won the election that pushed her into power. More notably, his numbers were strong enough to have won the Parliament alone, pushing Dehran out of power. His resignation and subsequent appointment as the current Nui-tan ambassador to Arthuria had, by and large, been her doing. Medici was a threat; a fire which had to be put out quickly before it compromised all that she had worked for. Considering the pyrophobia which Paolo was known for, this metaphor seemed somehow ironic.

In truth, despite being cast in his shadow, Talia and Paolo had little in common on a personal basis. He had been the only Prime Minister to serve in the Partition; she had only been a teenager at the outbreak of the war. He had grown up in impoverished colonial territory and fought for the same recognition as his fellow Nui-tans for him and those of his ethnicity. She had led a relatively sheltered life in a middle-class family, who had made their fortune in the heart of the nation, where opportunities were always present.

The most glaring difference, however, was demeanor. Paolo may have been politically charismatic, but he maintained a degree of shyness and introversion on a personal level. Despite the good looks and the white, broad smile, he was a genuinely quiet, docile man. So long as one did not provoke him into action or anger, he was content to fade into the wallpaper of a room and sit quietly.

That was not Talia Dehran. If Paolo was content to fade into the wallpaper, Talia was a personality that craved only to contrast it. She was a born extrovert, dominating any room she walked into --- and the moment that the first of her two feet, clad in expensive high-heels, stepped elegantly unto the deck of the aircraft carrier, her eyes commanded the attention of the ship. Talia had disregarded a traditional Nui-tan outfit in favor of a woman's business suit, all the more causing eyes to fall upon her and the curves that she kept handy as an "ace-in-the-hole" of sorts, when standard tactics failed.

Despite the wetness and moisture clinging to the deck at some points, Talia skillfully made her way to the Arthurians and introduced herself. There wasn't much to be said, besides names and the occasional platitude, until the Hadinians arrived and business properly began.

Hadin
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hadin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:56 am

The last plane to arrive at the deck of the FSDS Æsgard was Hadinian. For the purposes of this meeting, all countries had deemed it best if Hadin were allowed a more direct flight-path to the meeting spot. In order to do this, the Hadinian plane had to briefly cross Nui-tan airspace. Far off upon the horizon, where Nui-ta's air and naval borders ended, people with sharper eyes than most could see a couple of Nui-tan fighter jets veering away as the Hadinian craft exited Nui-ta's airspace.

As with before, another plane from another nation landed on the FSDS Æsgard, and as before, another delegation stepped out. Thor Hammarskod in particular probably recognized the familiar face of Hadin's Councilman of Foreign Affairs, Janus Kafka. Kafka had slimmed down in the past year or so, and his hair was beginning to go from platinum blonde to a silvery-white, but he was still the same man.

"Mr. Hammarskod," Kafka said softly. "It's good to see you".

He gave the Nui-tan and Zanzeanic delegations a head nod, but nothing more. Talia Dehran was a woman, and Kafka did not feel comfortable giving any sort of submissive stance to a woman, even a head of government. As for South Zanzes; as far as Kafka was personally concerned, they weren't even a real country[/b].

Kafka arrived with his own small group of support staff. It was the usual menagerie of unarmed guards and personal assistants. One aide in particular seemed a bit shifty; the young nameless man's eyes immediately wandered around the ship, taking in the surroundings. His posture remained "closed", in a sense. Two hands firmly clutched a notebook, meant to transcribe the events of the day for Kafka's personal notation later. Around his shoulder was a large bag --- from the weight and the shape of the contents, it appeared to hold a laptop.

The most telling thing about the aide, however, was the general fact that his eyes briefly glanced over some of the Arthurian men in uniform. As the proceedings began, the younger man looked away.

Everyone's attention soon fell on Thor and Eric. Arthuria no doubt had much to propose. That was why they were all here, after all.
Just so you know, this nation, in character, is a highly sexist, highly theocratic, and highly authoritarian state. (Though under the new guy, it seems to be improving a little).

I disagree with a lot of what this nation stands for. It was invented for its intrigue and ample opportunities for satire, not for its ideals.

The Arthurian Isles
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Arthurian Isles » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:22 am

Arthurian diplomatic experience was rooted in the higher strategy of navigating the waves of international affairs, forever regarding their neutrality and acting (or not acting, as was sometimes best) to defend it in perpetuity. Its Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs was consequently filled with skilled analysts and thinkers, some straddling the line between political decision-making and academic research. In recent years, however, a problem had emerged. With more overseas visits filling the Ministry's schedule, there was a greater need to understand the intricacies of local customs. Nuanced social cues and greetings were a topic which had rarely bothered Arthurian diplomats. Now it was imperative that they got such matters right; Thor had already been the cause of one minor embarrassment on his first visit to Hadin, two years ago almost to the day.

So the surprise prostration of the Zanze delegate caused a flutter of concern deep in the stomach of those waiting to greet him. Not only was it unexpected, such kow-towing was antithetical to the instinctive egalitarianism at the heart of Arthurian society. As Alfarsi lay before them, the Arthurians were still. It almost looked aloof, until one noticed the nervousness on their faces, the slight raising of the eyebrows. For a few moments, all there was was awkwardness.

The presence of a Nui-tan attaché was therefore welcome, at least on a social level. Her bow was something which the Arthurians had been expecting. It was an almost universal gesture, enough that it had reached the little archipelago nestled deep in the Antarctic. Though rarely used except for the most formal of occasions, the Arthurians knew that local customs took precedence, and so they responded, Erik and Thor bowing in unison, backs straight and hands held neatly by their sides. They held the bow for but a fraction of a second, before rising once again in time to see Alfarsi gather himself up from the floor. There was sympathy for him; they all knew the unique circumstances of his country and could guess at the impact this might have on his interactions with others. At least in one regard, he held the upper hand: while Alfarsi merrily greeted the hosts, they stood sweating in the tropical sun.

Talia held the same advantage, of course, being used to such a climate. But from the moment she stepped onto the deck it was clear that she was blessed with other assets. On a personal level, she was beautiful. Though Paolo Medici had been attractive to those who were susceptible to his subtle charm1, Talia drew the eyes of all around. Some of the male soldiers turned their heads slowly so as to catch a glimpse of her, reckoning that it was worth the risk of a telling-off if they were caught. Thor, Erik and Andri all seemed suddenly smaller, though they stood just as tall as they had done before she head stepped out of the helicopter. Perhaps it was because Talia's beauty contributed to her confidence, which was what allowed her to assert a degree of power before she had spoken to any of them. And that was where her other assets lay, invisible but obvious to all: she was Prime Minister of one of the most powerful countries in Noctur. Though the Arthurians retained their quiet dignity when they met her, bowing as they had done to Alfarsi, they were acutely aware of the relations of power between a country such as Nui-ta, and their own small speck of land, a strategic insignificance. It is why they could never be aloof before anyone, nor dare to lecture. They may have been the hosts, but this meeting was happening only because of the willingness of the guests to be there.

And one more guest was being waited upon. His arrival would be slightly different from the others, because it would not be his first meeting with Thor. Janus and Thor had, alongside Fiete Nikastro, engaged in somewhat illuminating discussions two years ago which had formed a bond between their respective countries and the two emissaries. So when Janus greeted Thor once again, it was with a smile that Thor bowed (not repeating the mistake of his past) and responded in a way that reflected the scene at Kopurauth all that time ago.

"And you too, friend. Arthuria sends its greetings once more, and I hope again that we can drink, speak and conclude these talks in merriment".

The repurposed quarters were cramped. The noise of dozens of separate conversations, most in mutually unintelligible languages, mingled thick in the air. Aides and entourages were seated around any spare section of wall. The rest of the room was taken up by the conference table, a glass oval on top of which sat glasses of water, tablets, pens and paper. Only the principal guests were seated here, joining Andri and Erik. Thor was standing at one end of the table, near the temporary screen which was showing a map of Karas. Opposite him, at the other end of the oval, flagpoles lined the wall with the banners of each country represented hanging without crease. The red of Hadin's flag stood out distinctly amongst the various blues, whites, blacks and greens of the others. Compared to the formal reception on deck, the atmosphere here was more relaxed. The Arthurians in particular seemed to be less nervous, silently thanking the air conditioning for saving them from the oppressive tropical heat. Perhaps the next summit might be better held in Vestmanaeyjar, to give a home advantage to the Nordics for once.

Thor, who had been talking to a seated Andri, looked around him. The scene was set, it seemed. Janus, Talia and Alfarsi (as well as his translator) were in their seats, alongside their essential aides, around the table. Those sitting around the walls of the room had their notebooks or tablets balanced on their laps. The noise of chatter had died down a little. He stepped away from Andri and into a position closer to the screen. A nod was given to the two sailors standing by the entrance. They left, closing the doors behind them, taking up their vigil outside of the room. The cue was clear enough, and whatever conversation had remained quickly died down. All eyes looked to Thor.

"Friends." He began. His attention was focused almost entirely on those seated around the table. "War is good. For a country with as pacifist a reputation as Arthuria's, this may seem to be a statement at odds with official policy. It is not: war is good for resolving disputes and changing the social order so that it aligns itself more appropriately with political reality. But peace is also good. Peace secures the new social order and provides individuals with the freedom to maximise their stake within it and develop it for the greater good.

"For this reason, war is a reality of international society, and as it derives from our innate human tendency to violence, it is in part a natural phenomenon; its purpose in nature is, paradoxically, to abate our hatred and convince us of our common humanity. But it is also an unnatural institution. We govern warfare by laws imposed upon one another, and we moderate its totality so as to limit what we perceive as cruelty to one another. Without this unnatural interjection, war would devolve into chaotic violence and the brutalities associated with such a state of nature.

"Peace follows similar rules. It is, as we have seen, a natural way of developing our human societies, but we must maintain it through the unnatural means of government: we elect a sovereign to impose limits on certain human freedoms so as to ensure the continuation of others. Taken to the extremes of its logic, peace leads to a totalitarian dictatorship - to oppression. Arthuria does not judge those states whose domestic politics has reached this conclusion, but as a member of the international society of sovereign states, we do not wish to see such a structure imposed to preserve peace between nations.

"With this conceptual understanding, we can approach the political disputes in this part of the world in a new light. The war in Karas, despite the death and destruction which it caused, did have the positive effect of resolving, in part, some political disputes which arose in the depths of the former Zanzeanic Empire. We now face the possibility of that war re-occurring. This would not be a good war, I argue. Certainly, there are still issues which cause animosity between the countries of Karas, and you may believe that war is a way of resolving those issues. According to the logic of what has just been said, in fact, it is a way of doing so. But war is not the only means of easing tension. Now, so soon after the last conflict, peace must be given its chance; we must work together to develop the new social order which has arisen. We need the stability, predictability and order which peace can provide in order to nurture the institutions of international relations between the states assembled here today. If we do not, then any following war will quickly lose sight of its original goals; it will cease to be a means of change and instead become a means of bloodletting.

"The greatest threat to our co-operation is pride. When war ceases to be viewed through the lens of rational thought and instead becomes the dream of an emotional heart, then we find ourselves in an environment where peace is not even entertained as an option. To step back from this place, we need two things. Firstly, there must be an atmosphere in which the ability for one to conduct war is severely restricted. This will replace combat with dialogue as the most effective mechanism of conflict resolution. Secondly, there must be a desire from all potential belligerents to talk to one another. When war becomes a prohibitive means of resolving conflict, when it becomes more beneficial to simply talk, and that is when peace will flourish.

"This is where the Arthurian Federation can fulfil the responsibility it owes to the world. We are not well-suited to dictating peace terms or international agreements – that is a discussion which must take place between the stakeholders in a dispute; they know their problems better than anyone. A country such as ours is so far removed from violent conflict that we would do little to help ease the relations of others. What we can do, however, is create the space in which dialogue becomes the preferred means of compromise.

"Thus the Arthurian Federal Government has a nascent peace strategy, based on three phases of which not all need be employed depending on the situation. In this case, Arthuria proposes the sequential application of two measures.

"The first measure is something which only we in Arthuria can do, but we can reaffirm it for the benefit of all present. The Arthurian Federation must maintain its permanent, armed neutrality. We will refrain from involving ourselves in any conflicts, whether violent or not. They are not relevant to us, nor do we understand them. We cannot judge others for seeking violence, nor should we. We purposely constrain our own ability to make war and shackle ourselves intellectually so that we do not even think of doing so, thanks to our Declaration of Neutrality. Thus we hope to build a level of trust between ourselves and every other Nocturian state, so that you might see us as facilitators of communication across the world.

"The second measure is to offer direct military support to all the countries of Karas. This is an unprecedented step for Arthuria, whose soldiers have never stepped on foreign soil, but it is one whose time has come in a fast-changing world. Military assistance would be offered as a Peace Support Operation: an interpositionary force stationed along international borders whose purpose would be to separate the relevant sides in order to physically prevent violence between them.

"Importantly, a Peace Support Operation requires the pre-existence of peace, and a desire to maintain it amongst all parties. It is a confidence-builder, cultivating trust between traditional enemies by separating them and impartially monitoring for violations of the general peace. In doing so, the Operation permits sustained, political dialogue. No further action is required from Arthuria: to be here is enough, we hope, to maintain peace. Moreover, we are specifically suited to such an operation. As a neutral, impartial state we are trusted by many and yet not bound by external constraints. We can commit ourselves to this operation and fulfil it to its ultimate conclusion. We act not in the interests of our own people but in the interests of the international society. All of this also means that we cannot engage in open combat with others, nor should we, for it would not only breach our own neutrality but would destroy the confidence of states in our peaceful intentions.

"Therefore, as a condition for allowing us to launch this Peace Support Operation, we have imposed limits on our own conduct. Arthuria offers three things: consent, impartiality, and the minimum use of force. I shall elaborate. Consent means that this operation would only go ahead with the authority of all parties involved; to do otherwise would undermine the foundational assumption that all sides desired peace. Impartiality means that we will enforce the mandate of the operation against any who try to spoil it, regardless of which party they affiliate with. And minimum use of force means that combat would only be resorted to in self-defence or the protection of civilians in the case of a resumption of hostilities. With these clear rules, an operation should possess the ability to facilitate peace agreements and give hope to all who seek peace but lack the correct environment.

"Thank you for your attention."

Thor offered the audience a curt nod before returning to his seat, to be replaced next to the screen by Erik. He was less of a natural showman than his friend. He stood rigidly, often looking at either Thor or Andri and frequently turning to the maps and figures which appeared on the monitor. His hands stayed clasped together in front of him.

"Friends, the philosophical and political basis for a Peace Support Operation has been laid out before you. I must now present the military case. Nothing has been approved yet, and I am very aware that a peacekeeping mission lies in the realm of the abstract at present, but the burden lies with Arthuria to prove that what is currently imagined can be made real in the future. This is why you have access to a detailed plan alongside the agenda for our meeting, and why we are discussing this at the ministerial level. I nonetheless present this overview so that we may tie together the analysis offered by the Federal Minister of Foreign Affairs," he gestured towards Thor, "and the operation as envisaged by Forsvaren Makt.2

"First, I must state the limitations we encountered when devising this initial plan. The valid concerns of the Hadinian government have precluded us from contemplating operations in the territory of Hadinian Zanzes, though ideally we would have extended a peacekeeping operation to a zone stretching some kilometres across the border into their territory. Secondly, due to Arthuria's strategic direction, Forsvaren Makt lacks the capability to transport its forces beyond its own shores in any significant number. Therefore, the plan attempts to minimise troop numbers and relies upon the help of the countries of Karas to provide airlift capacity as well as local transport, supply, utility and communications infrastructure.

"As to the operation itself, it is remarkably simple. In essence, the peacekeeping mission is a basic deployment of forces into a 'defensive perimeter' which may be more accurately described as a buffer zone. With previously-stated restrictions in mind, Grundforsvaren Makt3 would seek to establish a buffer zone stretching between ten and twenty kilometres from the border between Hadinian Zanzes and South Zanzes to the south. Again, ideally, this zone would also encompass some territory to the north of the border. The zone's purpose would be to physically separate the parties from one another. To that end, all non-Arthurian troops would be asked to vacate its limits, and the G-SDF would take up various forts along its length. These forts would be minimal in size and contain only enough weaponry for their defence and patrolling of the buffer zone.

"The G-SDF force would be supported by a small Luftforsvaren Makt4 component whose purpose would be to provide logistical assistance to the ground forces, reconnaissance of the buffer zone, and provision of ground-based air defence for the forts within the buffer zone. Command and control components would ideally be situated in the Nui-tan state of New Zanzes in order to balance proximity to the area of responsibility with the necessity for modern infrastructure. We would also seek to establish liaison missions with the relevant authorities in Rahku City, Kopurauth and Zanar. All would include elements from the G-SDF, A-SDF and I-SDF5. These liaison missions would be required to co-ordinate the operation with the relevant authorities, ensuring that any actions undertaken by the peacekeeping forces would be with the full understanding of the host countries. They would also transfer requests to use local infrastructure in support of the deployed troops.

"In total, the operation would number between six thousand and nine thousand troops, by our initial estimates. This would provide the strength required to exercise its mandate: specifically, to facilitate a political space within which dialogue can flourish. The overarching objective can be achieved through five main tasks, all of which would be carried out by the peacekeeping force within the buffer zone. These are observation and fact-finding, monitoring of the border, physical interposition between parties, verification of the post-conflict peace agreement, and investigation of external influence or criminal activity across the border. The mandate is hopefully clear enough to be effective, and yet light enough that it does not compromise the sovereignty of any state gathered here today. Furthermore, though the initial plan only covers an interpositionary force between Hadinian Zanzes and South Zanzes, its relative simplicity means that it can be expanded to cover other geographical areas if required.

"Thank you for your attention. You have heard enough of us dour Arthurians for now, though. I suggest we discuss what has been proposed so far."

1 A surprisingly high proportion of Arthurians, as it turns out. After his appointment as ambassador to the Federation, a poll for Belle Epoque (a popular Arthurian lifestyle magazine) revealed that 72% of women respondents found Paolo Medici to be attractive, as did 31% of male respondents.

2 Forsvaren Makt translates as the 'Self-Defence Forces'. It is the name for Arthuria's combined armed forces.

3 Grundforsvaren Makt translates as the 'Ground Self-Defence Force' (G-SDF). It is Arthuria's ground component within its armed forces.

4 Luftforsvaren Makt translates as the 'Air Self-Defence Force' (A-SDF). It is Arthuria's air component within its armed forces.

5 Upniretningforsvaren Makt translates as the 'Information Self-Defence Force' (I-SDF). It is Arthuria's information and cyber component within its armed forces.
Last edited by The Arthurian Isles on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zanzes
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanzes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:10 am

...the surprise prostration of the Zanze delegate caused a flutter of concern deep in the stomach of those waiting to greet him. Not only was it unexpected, such kow-towing was antithetical to the instinctive egalitarianism at the heart of Arthurian society. As Alfarsi lay before them, the Arthurians were still. It almost looked aloof, until one noticed the nervousness on their faces, the slight raising of the eyebrows. For a few moments, all there was was awkwardness.

The number of Zanze who questioned the prevalence of Nui-tan attaches within their society, despite South Zanzes theoretically being an indepdendent nation, was quite high --- but anyone who could have seen this scene between the Arthurians and Nader Hadil Alfarsi would have instantly realized why this simply had to be the case. The simple fact of the matter was that the Zanze were very behind in comparison to the rest of the world in regards to international diplomacy, and general etiquette. Both domestically and internationally, the country as a whole just seemed lost --- a relic of a bygone era. Even Nui-ta had abandoned the kow-tow decades ago; and Nui-ta now was doing its best, for one reason or another, to ensure that Zanzes either modernized, or had a more modern protector defending its interests.

What remained to be seen by all parties, however, was whether or not Nui-ta's defense was rooted in solidarity with Zanzes, or simply because Zanzean independence was most agreeable with Nui-tan interests at this time. Truth be told, many in Zanzes worried that one day, Nui-ta would see fit to release Zanzes from its protection, and when that day came, the Zanze weren't sure if they were to fear Hadin, or Nui-ta itself. Of course, there were rumors that the Nui-tan crown was planning a political move to address this issue --- to permanently ensure that the crown answered to the interests of both countries.

But how could a throne held by Nui-tan blood become permanently symbolic to the Zanze? Perhaps it was still too early to tell.

They held the bow for but a fraction of a second, before rising once again in time to see Alfarsi gather himself up from the floor. There was sympathy for him; they all knew the unique circumstances of his country and could guess at the impact this might have on his interactions with others. At least in one regard, he held the upper hand: while Alfarsi merrily greeted the hosts, they stood sweating in the tropical sun.

The Zanze (nor the Nui-tan attachee) did not know about Arthuria's increasing care to learn the nuances of international greetings and customs. They had no idea at all of any incident which may or may not have happened between Thor and any particular Hadinians long before this particular day. They did, however, notice that the Arthurian response to their bow was very calculated and appropriate: though Karasian bows typically lasted between three to five seconds (with the attache estimating hers to be "formal, but quick" at about two), the Arthurians seemed to know that a host of higher status bowed for less time, and with less depth. Zanzes itself did not consider itself quite as prestigious as Arthuria, considering Alfarsi's kow-tow --- and though Nui-ta considered itself of grander status than Zanzes, the attache herself knew her place. On loan to a lesser government, for their assistance.

A small, silent smirk from the attache signified her approval as she pulled Alfarsi aside and, in the discreetness of the native Zanzean tongue, discuss his diplomatic error.

"The first measure is something which only we in Arthuria can do, but we can reaffirm it for the benefit of all present. The Arthurian Federation must maintain its permanent, armed neutrality. We will refrain from involving ourselves in any conflicts, whether violent or not. They are not relevant to us, nor do we understand them. We cannot judge others for seeking violence, nor should we. We purposely constrain our own ability to make war and shackle ourselves intellectually so that we do not even think of doing so, thanks to our Declaration of Neutrality. Thus we hope to build a level of trust between ourselves and every other Nocturian state, so that you might see us as facilitators of communication across the world.

A moment passed as the attache did the work of translating for Nader Hadil Alfarsi. If it wasn't for her, everything that was happening here would be unintelligible jibberish. This was especially embarrassing considering that, despite his Zanzeanic naivete, Alfarsi Hadil was acutely aware of the fact that he was the only representative in the room with not even a basic command of English --- or any of the other languages being spoken, for that matter. The Nui-tan language of Melodian was difficult, but a few basic strings could be managed. The languages of Hadin and Arthuria, on the other hand, were downright hopeless.

Alfarsi wished to protest a bit, questioning the concept of "armed neutrality". How could a nation so far away claim to assist in such arbitration without performing one of the most essential functions of being a judge --- passing judgement. Even if the Arthurians had no clear group in favor, Alfarsi knew that sooner or later, the Arthurians were going to reach a crossroads.

Eventually, their neutrality would be tested to its limits, and when that day came, one of two things would happen, as far as he could see. Either Arthuria would have to eschew the neutrality that carried them this far, and face the uncertainties that came with such a radical ideological change --- or this entire peacekeeping missive would one day fail. Alfarsi found himself hoping this crossroads would not appear on the horizon in his lifetime.

"The second measure is to offer direct military support to all the countries of Karas. This is an unprecedented step for Arthuria, whose soldiers have never stepped on foreign soil, but it is one whose time has come in a fast-changing world. Military assistance would be offered as a Peace Support Operation: an interpositionary force stationed along international borders whose purpose would be to separate the relevant sides in order to physically prevent violence between them.

Nader Hadil Alfarsi could not help but let out a grin as soon as this statement was translated for him. Zanzes needed all the protection it could get against the UNCA, as far as he could see it. Nui-ta's lone assistance thus far had been instrumental, but it had not been enough to protect the entire country, resulting in the established UNCA holdings in what used to the lands of the Zanze.

His lands, in particular. Nader as a location was a village now firmly within the borders of Seglandic Zanzes, and Alfarsi had escaped being trapped behind UNCA's lines only because he had been summoned to Zanar on official business at the time of the war.

Another country offering to maintain peace while Zanzes acclimated to the new world order and modernized was a god-send. Best of all, the Arthurians even asked a reasonable price --- Alfarsi had thought for sure that Zanzes would have had to pay much more. A few kilometers within the northernmost portions of South Zanzes (abandoned anyway, by and large, as the locals feared living so close to the Hadinians) wasn't much to sacrifice. A liaison in Zanar was completely acceptable --- even encouraged.

He was the first to respond, in kind, to the Arthurian proposal. Given his self-perceptions of being the lowliest guest at the table, he kept his response brief (not that it needed to be contracted). Once he spoke, his attache translated the words succinctly.

"I find this proposal entirely agreeable, and should all parties agree, I for one would be happy to assist in its implementation".

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:14 am

Talia held the same advantage, of course, being used to such a climate. But from the moment she stepped onto the deck it was clear that she was blessed with other assets. On a personal level, she was beautiful. Though Paolo Medici had been attractive to those who were susceptible to his subtle charm1, Talia drew the eyes of all around. Some of the male soldiers turned their heads slowly so as to catch a glimpse of her, reckoning that it was worth the risk of a telling-off if they were caught.

Every contemporary Nui-tan Prime Minister had their own unique character trait they relied on excessively. When used appropriately, it often led to fame and fortune --- when used incorrectly: in a disastrous end to their career. Kashir xi-Sendres had possessed a certain air of superiority: one could say it drove the disastrous decisions which made way for the outbreak of the Partition shortly after an election he never expected to lose. Evan Isaci had a degree of charismatic machismo that drove his agenda as hard as it did his ego. Trenta i-Harendo was known for her intelligence, Ultimus Renton for his rhetorical skills (and lack of ability to "make good" on any of it), and Paolo Medici for his keen ability to defuse nearly any situation.

Talia Dehran's strongest trait was definitely her beauty, and this inescapable fact resulted in a sort of bipolar persona. On the one hand, she was quick to leverage her ...assets... when needing to make an impression. It was rumored that, before her days as Prime Minister, that she'd even accomplished several important bill passages and secured campaign funds in more....private settings. Yet whether or not she embraced the increasingly obvious fact that her looks and sex appeal were her most defining attributes was yet to be determined.

On the one hand, she used said sex appeal for even the smallest advantages. As she made her way down the deck of the frigate, she was acutely aware of the eyes of several male soldiers following her as she made her way to the Arthurians. She couldn't get a read on the three main Arthurian players --- Thor, Erik, and Andri --- and this caused her to suddenly feel a bit of anxiety, though she hid it as well as the best of politicians.

The reason for this anxiety was the same reason that the seemingly powerful Prime Minister had also developed a private reputation for being the Nui-tan version of "PMS Pavlovic". Deep down, Talia's deepest fear was being limited to these more superficial advantages. She didn't have the politese of Medici --- and perhaps secretly hated him out of envy. She didn't have the rhetorical skills of Ultimus Renton, though she certainly wasn't a horrible orator in her own right. Of course, the trait that eluded her the most was the intelligence of the famed Trenta Crumlo. Talia had accepted the office of Prime Minister thinking she could step out of that shadow --- but even almost twenty years after Trenta had been put into the ground, and even in the wake of a small scandal involving a decision by that almost mythical predecessor's decision to classify some documents --- Talia found that Trenta's shadow was long, broad, and nearly impossible to break.

If she didn't do something outrageous, she was always just going to be the discount version of Crumlo. And she wasn't having that...

The discussion in the re-purposed chambers, involving Arthuria's plans for a peacekeeping operation, started off smoothly. Thor's portion of the initial presentation put before the Karasian delegations didn't seem to elicit any particular types of contempt.

So far so good.

It was when Erik spoke that the air in the room began to change. The more that Erik elaborated on the specifics of the proposed operation, the more that everyone in the room could see Nader Hadil Alfarsi's overwhelming glee. The Zanze were happy about this proposal.

As nice as that was, Talia Dehran found herself unable to agree. It wasn't her job to be vested in Zanzean interests anyway. Per the Zannui Deal and subsequent measures that followed, it was the Emperor that was asked to be vested in the interests of both Zanzes and Nui-ta, with the two nations now sharing him as their Head of State.

Talia Dehran held no such authority, and thus no such care. As Nader Hadil Alfarsi was the head of government in South Zanzes, alone, so to was Talia Dehran the head of government for Nui-ta and Nui-ta only. In such a position of power, she found herself examining everything solely from a Nui-tan point of view, and for the Monarchy, this wasn't a good deal.

There were a couple of glaring concerns to be considered. Firstly, while a peace-keeping force of Arthurians was to be expected, having them sit on Hadinian and Zanzean borders with potential orders to take on combat operations was another proposal entirely. There was no telling how Arthuria would react in a situation where they had to draw their weapons. Without assurances that Arthuria would at the very least have a detailed explanation as to how they planned on remaining neutral and decide who to shoot, if necessary, the possibility of armed Arthurian troops on a peacekeeping mission seemed...off.

Of course, there was one other concern that came to mind, and it was one that Talia could barely contain.

"I disagree --- the idea of a buffer-zone isn't acceptable at all in this format," Talia said, once Erik and Alfarsi had both had their turns to speak. "If Arthuria comes into Karas on a mission of neutrality, then why can't they extend as far into Hadinian Zanzes with this buffer zone as they do with South Zanzes?"

She couldn't help but shoot the Hadinian delegation a dirty look. Janus Kafka already avoided holding any more interaction with Talia than absolutely necessary --- the misogyny that was endemic to Hadin's culture was a large factor. And yet, there was still an unspoken distrust between elements of Nui-tan and Hadinian society. After all this time, and all that had happened --- not everyone could accept the newfound catharsis which Arthuria spoke of so easily.

Hadin
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hadin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:46 pm

The Arthurian Isles wrote:And one more guest was being waited upon. His arrival would be slightly different from the others, because it would not be his first meeting with Thor. Janus and Thor had, alongside Fiete Nikastro, engaged in somewhat illuminating discussions two years ago which had formed a bond between their respective countries and the two emissaries. So when Janus greeted Thor once again, it was with a smile that Thor bowed (not repeating the mistake of his past) and responded in a way that reflected the scene at Kopurauth all that time ago.

"And you too, friend. Arthuria sends its greetings once more, and I hope again that we can drink, speak and conclude these talks in merriment".

Janus Kafka gave Thor Hammarskod a broad smile. Things had greatly improved for Kafka since the last time Thor had seen him, and this situational improvement seemed to radiate alongside everything Kafka touched. The tyrant Nico Hass was dead, and Fiete Nikastro's subsequent ascension to the High-Envoyship had seen Kafka's star rise. Domestically, he and Nikastro agreed on much. The realm of foreign affairs still showed some disagreements between the two men, but it was Kafka who had the freedom to travel around and execute Hadinian diplomacy as he wished it, with Nikastro now being heavily burdened by other issues within Hadin.

Even with this most important of discussions, Nikastro had only been able to provide Kafka with a few basic terms to be enforced --- most notably as little outside interference with Hadinian Zanzes as possible. Other than that, Kafka had full leave (for lack of the possibility of further involvement by Fiete Nikastro) to conduct the Hadinian side of these talks as Janus Kafka saw fit.

"The second measure is to offer direct military support to all the countries of Karas. This is an unprecedented step for Arthuria, whose soldiers have never stepped on foreign soil, but it is one whose time has come in a fast-changing world. Military assistance would be offered as a Peace Support Operation: an interpositionary force stationed along international borders whose purpose would be to separate the relevant sides in order to physically prevent violence between them...

As the Arthurian strategy was being explained, Janus felt a bit of unease in his stomach. On the one hand, he knew more than anyone that the Arthurians were far too peace-loving to be swayed to one particular side so easily. Kafka could see the Zanzean delegate grinning a bit, no doubt thinking that this measure was supposed to be some kind of god-send. He could also see the Nui-tan Prime Minister scowling a little --- she was clearly the least pleased of the bunch.

Of course, this didn't bother Janus Kafka.

"Therefore, as a condition for allowing us to launch this Peace Support Operation, we have imposed limits on our own conduct. Arthuria offers three things: consent, impartiality, and the minimum use of force. I shall elaborate. Consent means that this operation would only go ahead with the authority of all parties involved; to do otherwise would undermine the foundational assumption that all sides desired peace. Impartiality means that we will enforce the mandate of the operation against any who try to spoil it, regardless of which party they affiliate with. And minimum use of force means that combat would only be resorted to in self-defence or the protection of civilians in the case of a resumption of hostilities. With these clear rules, an operation should possess the ability to facilitate peace agreements and give hope to all who seek peace but lack the correct environment.

"Thank you for your attention."

Consent was fine. Impartiality was fine, so long as Nikastro or some other like-minded Hadinian remained in office. Kafka thought about putting his own hat in the ring, but he'd need to make it into the Envoyship, and then something would have to happen to Nikastro.

Death seems a bit excessive, though...

He's a family man. A country, a wife, three children, and counting...maybe after a sufficient amount of time, he'd be worn out enough to be convinced to retire to the countryside...

"First, I must state the limitations we encountered when devising this initial plan. The valid concerns of the Hadinian government have precluded us from contemplating operations in the territory of Hadinian Zanzes, though ideally we would have extended a peacekeeping operation to a zone stretching some kilometres across the border into their territory.

Talia Dehran seemed to be especially bothered now. Janus couldn't have been anything but pleased. He asked his primary aide, the one who had been clutching a laptop earlier, to pass him another glass of water.

As Janus drank and suppressed a grin, he didn't even notice his aide asking to be excused to the bathroom.

Secondly, due to Arthuria's strategic direction, Forsvar's Stræk lacks the capability to transport its forces beyond its own shores in any significant number. Therefore, the plan attempts to minimise troop numbers and relies upon the help of the countries of Karas to provide airlift capacity as well as local transport, supply, utility and communications infrastructure.

"Well, I don't mind consenting to this --- but I question how we will fairly divy up the work," Janus said quietly.

"To that end, all non-Arthurian troops would be asked to vacate its limits, and the G-SDF would take up various forts along its length. These forts would be minimal in size and contain only enough weaponry for their defence and patrolling of the buffer zone.

Janus frowned a little now. He didn't particularly like the idea of an Arthurian buffer that was exclusively Arthurian. If things went south and the Hadinians did have to engage in the use of force again, Arthuria would potentially become a target under these conditions.

He preferred them more when they were just passive observers to the fact. Still, this was something that could be considered, negotiated, and if absolutely necessary, conceded.

"In total, the operation would number between six thousand and nine thousand troops, by our initial estimates. This would provide the strength required to exercise its mandate: specifically, to facilitate a political space within which dialogue can flourish. The overarching objective can be achieved through five main tasks, all of which would be carried out by the peacekeeping force within the buffer zone. These are observation and fact-finding, monitoring of the border, physical interposition between parties, verification of the post-conflict peace agreement, and investigation of external influence or criminal activity across the border. The mandate is hopefully clear enough to be effective, and yet light enough that it does not compromise the sovereignty of any state gathered here today. Furthermore, though the initial plan only covers an interpositionary force between Hadinian Zanzes and South Zanzes, its relative simplicity means that it can be expanded to cover other geographical areas if required.

I hope that doesn't include Hadinian Zanzes, Janus thought to himself. As far as the UNCA were concerned, the holdings in resource-rich Zanzes were simply too important to risk any sort of outside compromise, and though Arthuria was unlikely to be a problem in of itself, letting outsiders in at all was a slippery slope to problems further down the line.

It was better for all parties involved if UNCA's business in Zanzes merely stayed classified for UNCA eyes only.

Nui-ta wrote:"I disagree --- the idea of a buffer-zone isn't acceptable at all in this format," Talia said, once Erik and Alfarsi had both had their turns to speak. "If Arthuria comes into Karas on a mission of neutrality, then why can't they extend as far into Hadinian Zanzes with this buffer zone as they do with South Zanzes?"

She couldn't help but shoot the Hadinian delegation a dirty look. Janus Kafka already avoided holding any more interaction with Talia than absolutely necessary --- the misogyny that was endemic to Hadin's culture was a large factor. And yet, there was still an unspoken distrust between elements of Nui-tan and Hadinian society. After all this time, and all that had happened --- not everyone could accept the newfound catharsis which Arthuria spoke of so easily.

Oh Septima, I knew this bitch was going to be a problem.

"I'm sorry, but we already have a supranational agreement involving the region known as Hadinian Zanzes. The terms of this agreement have caused the Nikastro administration to actively ask that Arthuria's peacekeeping missive not include that particular area".

"If you're worried about such an issue compromising Arthuria's potential for assisting in an enforced peace, keep in mind that activities in Hadinian Zanzes are already under direct oversight from the UNCA. I sincerely hope the Nui-tan delegation does not think so low of Hadin as to assume that it will not invest in an attempt to keep itself, its people, its holdings, and its allies out of another bloody, pointless war".

"And if you're worried about the arbitrary issue of fairness, South Zanzes seems to be the most inconvenienced of our nations here, and they seem to be perfectly alright with it! The Zanzean delegate...Alfredo, was it?"

Alfarsi, one of his aides corrected him.

"Thanks, Mr. Yarringsen". Janus stopped and did a double-take. It was a different aide who had corrected him --- his primary aide was nowhere to be seen.

"Where did..."

"Hans went to the bathroom".

"Oh, right. Poor boy seemed airsick. He's been uncharacteristically nervous this entire journey...anyway".

Janus returned his attention to the situation at hand and then resumed speaking to Talia Dehran.

"Alfre--- I mean Mr. Alfarsi, you agree with this deal wholeheartedly thusfar, yes?"

A moment after the translator communicated both question and answer, Janus flashed a victorious grin at Talia.

"If the person most inconvenienced with the entire operation seems the most enthusiastic, then how does one define fair? And while we're on the topic of fairness, on what precedent can you really argue the fairness of the operation when Nui-ta is arguably being asked the least of any of us?"

When Hans was young, he served in the Hadinian Navy. As a result, the basic structure of a frigate did not elude him. Though his best bet was to go deeper into the bowels of the ship, where there were many more places to hide --- but Hans knew that he was also far more likely to be caught.

After the meeting was over, and the Arthurian frigate returned to international waters, being caught was actually going to be the best thing that would happen to him. It helped that his bag contained something rather important --- something he was sure the Arthurians would find sympathetic.

The first step of the plan was to hurry out of the meeting, past the soldiers posted to the door. Doing this, he made it painfully obvious that he "had to go to the bathroom", even adding a subtle waddle to his fast-paced march down the hallway.

The very next step after that was to make it as uncomfortable as possible for any nearby soldiers to stand near the door on post. Adding a few well-placed grunts and groans, and even emptying a thermos full of chunky soup from his bag into the toilet bowl. When he was absolutely sure that the last nearby Arthurian soldier had vacated the area, he exited the bathroom and snuck into a nearby stairwell.

Sticking to the darkest parts of the stairwell, he made his way down a flight of stairs, looking for any low-key room used for storage. Finding one particular room, he picked the lock with an unfolded paper-clip and promptly shut the door.

He wasn't sure what exactly he was leaning against --- it was hard and painful, but none of that mattered. More than likely, the Arthurians wouldn't be fooled for long. When that happened, he needed to be ready. Clutching his laptop bag, which contained his only possible salvation, he closed his eyes and hoped that it would all work out.

The Arthurian Isles
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Arthurian Isles » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:02 am

Two traditions defined more than any others the nature of Arthurian politics. Democracy and isolationism. Certainly, other factors affected the psyche of the Arthurian people and the institutions they created; those institutions themselves fed back into that psyche and shaped its paths. But nothing loomed larger in the native conception of its own self-identity than an almost unbroken democratic past and a conceptual embrace of its geographical reality. Its people had taken two aspects of life which, though not unique to Arthuria, interacted in such a way that their end result was not manifested elsewhere in Noctur. They created a singularity, a state which did not think of itself as possessing any universal truths but which valued deeply the society it had built for itself. Democracy made Arthurians proponents of dialogue, compromise and peaceful action, while isolation made them sceptical of asserting those moral values on outsiders.

Of course, that had the potential to turn Arthuria into a psychologically vulnerable state. If its people had no means of asserting the superiority of their ideology, then how would internal cohesion be maintained against foreign ideas and influences. It was a problem which had steadily escalated three hundred years ago when Arthuria was first discovered by outsiders, whose ideas split society down the middle. Then, the end result was a brief civil war, minor by the standards of most Nocturian conflicts but shocking for a country unused to violence. The solution - which was decided by that war - was to reinforce and deepen democracy until it became a civic religion of sorts. Issues which caused social division were channelled through a lengthy and intricate system of discussion and compromise until a final vote decided how it would be resolved. Once done, it was beholden on the victors to make their policy work for all Arthurians, and in return the losers would shelve their anger and work with their countrymen for that mutually-beneficial outcome. It was Arthuria's social contract. From the outside, they system had a tendency to make the country look stronger than it was, by guiding Arthurians towards a united front in spite of any internal opposition to particular choices.

Such a notion is best represented by the Storting's guiding principle of 'collegiality'. The nine-person head of government has the potential to paralyse good governance and international relations by splitting on any particular policy. The framers of the constitution recognised this, though. Mindful of the consequences of disunity and respecting of their responsibilities to the Arthurian people, they determined that a strong front was more important to the country than partisan bickering. Therefore, the primary purpose of the Storting's weekly meetings remains the formation of mutually-agreeable policy positions amongst the nine Federal Ministers, performed in secret so as to protect the anonymity of any dissenters. Once decided upon, that position is publicly-maintained by all Stormaður1 regardless of their personal opposition. So revered is this principle, that despite modern media dissecting the individual views of each Federal Minister, the public have faith enough to know that the government's united front will remain intact.

Consequently, though Erik and Andri may have been odd choices for Thor's co-negotiators in this summit - both of them were avowed isolationists who did not agree with the deployment of Arthurian troops overseas - they would do as their duty dictated and argue alongside him. More than that, though, the tradition of collegiality within Arthurian politics had formed a negotiating style which had not been seen much by foreigners who had only recently begun to interact with the small Antarctic archipelago. When more than one Arthurians of equal authority were gathered in a room, they would bounce discussion points off one another, going so far as to ask each other questions to which a correct response would be given without hesitation. It was almost subconscious, but even without thinking there was an effect to their actions: the Arthurians would inadvertently bolster their claim to a united front, presenting themselves as a team of equally-enthusiastic and knowledgable negotiators in pursuit of their goal. Of course, such a strategy (however unintentional it may have been) had the potential to become ruthless; it was tempered by that tradition, previously discussed, of compromise and discussion. The Arthurians wanted a result which would be, on balance, favourable for all, but they would ultimately defend the essence of their proposals. If the compromises asked of them became so substantial as to obliterate the point of their offer, they would accept the inapplicability of their ideas to this situation and retire.

Thus Thor began.

"I must thank you, Alfarsi. A country with a history as long as yours would, I am sure, have seen that the apparent sacrifice of such an operation offers so much in freedom to develop free from fear." He smiled at the Zanzean, attempting to return even a small proportion of the happiness which Alfarsi had demonstrated so far. "But your concerns over our neutrality," He turned towards Talia, "are of vital importance to the possibilities of this mission even going ahead."

At this point, there was a brief pause. Thor looked directly opposite him, to where Andri was leaning back in his chair. He lowered his head somewhat, as though in thought, and grasped the handle of his cane which rested against the arm of his chair. It was something that he often did without thinking as he was about to finish speaking. "Of course, our expert in political-military matters is Andri. He has given the issue of neutrality a great deal of thought and, as Federal Minister of Defence, can assure its applicability to Forsvaren Makt."

Andri, who had been watching Thor out of the corner of his eyes, diverted his gaze above everyone's heads. "Simply put, Arthurian troops will be neutral because they will not act based on the nationality of any actors. Their actions will be guided by adherence to their mandate, the specific wording of which I believe we should all agree upon. This does not mean that Arthurian troops would treat all actors equally at all times. Not all actors behave equally, after all. If one side is making obvious attempts to breach the peace by illegally entering the buffer zone - and such actions would only be 'illegal' if we agreed to implement a buffer zone here and now - then Arthurian troops would be compelled to resist until either a political settlement was reached or they were ordered to withdraw. The latter option would signal an end to the peacekeeping operation."

"Indeed." Thor interjected. "That last point is important. If one or more parties no longer desire peace, to the extent that they are willing to attack a neutral party in order to reach their targets, then the foundations of a Peace Support Operation are gone; there is no way Arthuria can 'keep' a peace if there is no peace to keep."

"Yes." Andri continued, this time looking at the faces seated around the table. "We are not enforcing a peace on anyone. We are here to help support the peace which you have all decided to maintain. I am sure that this will inspire many questions around the room, but before we address them, we must confront the problem of the territorial extent of the proposed buffer zone." He nodded towards Thor, in whose departmental realm this issue resided.

"Thank you, Andri. As we have stated, it would be preferable to extend the buffer zone across the intra-Zanzeanic border to encompass at least some of Hadinian Zanzes. Diplomatically, this has so far proved impossible, for the reasons given by Janus." He nodded towards the Hadinian. "However, if I could argue Arthuria's position, it would support the logic of the operation if even a minor portion of the buffer zone were to be established on the Hadinian side of the border. That South Zanzes is willing to offer some of its territory for the use of peacekeeping forces shows that it has a stake in maintaining that peace. That Nui-ta would, according to the current proposal, be doing so for one of its protectorates also gives them a stake. A Peace Support Operation works most effectively if all parties hold a stake in it, which is why we have continued to ask for a presence, however minor, on Hadinian Zanzes also."

"If I may, Thor." Erik, resting his arms on the table and leaning forward, jumped in. It seemed like a three-way game of ping pong between the Arthurians. "If the worries of a buffer zone are over sovereignty, then I can see no military reason why regular inspections of Arthurian troops and positions cannot be held by Hadinian, Nui-tan and Zanzeanic security forces. It is important that Forsvaren Makt is transparent in its operations here, and it would allow each country to verify our efforts to maintain neutrality."

Andri and Thor both nodded. "Yes." Andri said. "There are no political objections to such inspections from Arthuria. Of course, if there are other means by which we could assure you of our neutrality, we would happily receive them."

Trausti knew the routine. She and Lukas got off shift just after lunch. They would head towards the dining room to get a late bite to eat and, inevitably, stop at the ablutions on the way. Lukas's drank at least four cups of tea during his time in the operations room, and was bursting by the time he left. So she would wait by the door, leant up against the wall on her phone, while he relieved himself. Today, she had just enough time to register for the upcoming firearm referendum on her local government app. It only took her a few minutes, just in time for Lukas to step through the hatch and for her to notice the uncomfortable look on his face.

"What's wrong?"

"Someone's being sick." He said. Trausti laughed, but not at the poor soul throwing up in the toilet. Lukas was a germaphobe and hated anything that was even mildly unpalatable. To see his overreactions to such things was a source of great amusement to her.

"Did you find out who it was?"

"No, but I don't think it was one of us." He was referring to the ship's company. There were barely over one hundred of them, so it had not been long before they had all gotten to know one another. "If I had to guess, it's one of those utlandmaður2 from that meeting. They can't handle a few gentle waves. And if they can't stomach the sea, I don't know how they're going to react to the food."

1 A Stormaður is a member of the Storting, Arthuria's nine-person head of government. 'Storting' translates as 'Great Thing', but is referred to in English as the 'Federal Council'. 'Stormaður' translates as 'Great Person', but is translated in English as 'Federal Minister'.

2 An utlandmaður is an 'outlander' or 'outsider'. It is a common term in Arthuria used to describe non-native Arthurians, regardless of whether or not they reside in the country.
Last edited by The Arthurian Isles on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hadin
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hadin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:49 pm

The Arthurian Isles wrote:Trausti knew the routine. She and Lukas got off shift just after lunch. They would head towards the dining room to get a late bite to eat and, inevitably, stop at the ablutions on the way. Lukas's drank at least four cups of tea during his time in the operations room, and was bursting by the time he left. So she would wait by the door, leant up against the wall on her phone, while he relieved himself. Today, she had just enough time to register for the upcoming firearm referendum on her local government app. It only took her a few minutes, just in time for Lukas to step through the hatch and for her to notice the uncomfortable look on his face.

"What's wrong?"

"Someone's being sick." He said. Trausti laughed, but not at the poor soul throwing up in the toilet. Lukas was a germaphobe and hated anything that was even mildly unpalatable. To see his overreactions to such things was a source of great amusement to her.

"Did you find out who it was?"

"No, but I don't think it was one of us." He was referring to the ship's company. There were barely over one hundred of them, so it had not been long before they had all gotten to know one another. "If I had to guess, it's one of those utlandmaður2 from that meeting. They can't handle a few gentle waves. And if they can't stomach the sea, I don't know how they're going to react to the food."

He had bypassed the security on the frigate --- somehow enough to hide in a broom closet. When things quieted down, and his own heart stopped racing, Hans suddenly felt the sinking realization of what he had just done.

Here he was, hiding with the broom and the floor-cleaner, while his superior waited for him upstairs. Janus Kafka was likely to be too focused on the situation at hand to notice his absence until it was too late --- but Hans's disappearance was bound to become obvious to someone, at some point.

The paranoia began to creep up on him faster and faster. The Nui-tans saw him leave. The Zanzean delegation saw him leave. Arthurian soldiers saw him excuse himself to the bathroom, and sooner or later, even being sick wasn't going to be an excuse.

For someone smart enough to hide his double life as Mr. Tricki from the Hadinian government, he wasn't smart enough to establish a more permament alibi.

Shit. SHIT!

As soon as someone noticed he was gone, his life was over. In his laptop was all the proof that Arthuria needed that Hans was indeed Mr. Tricki; and if he were found out and inspected, Hadin would be made aware of his deceit.

Hadin also knew that Mr. Tricki was a homosexual and an apostate --- and apostates had to die. This was to say nothing of the considerations given to defectors...

Hiding in the dark wasn't going to help, Hans quickly realized. If he stayed here, this plan wasn't going to work. He might as well go off to the top of the deck and ju---

...that's it...

There was a way, possibly, for Hans to get out of this. Climbing out of the closet and making his way down into the bowels of the ship, he resolved to find the nearest Arthurian.

He was Mr. Tricki, after all. The Arthurians wouldn't care about his sexuality or his lack of beliefs. They would care about his commitment to the truth --- and if they didn't, then he was already dead.

He made his way down a couple of hallways before approaching a soldier. His throat clenched. This was it.

The soldier noticed him. Hans moved slowly, with open hands --- the only way he could communicate that he was not a threat.

With a desperation in his eyes, he said two words, in English.

"Help me".

---
The Arthurian Isles wrote:"Indeed." Thor interjected. "That last point is important. If one or more parties no longer desire peace, to the extent that they are willing to attack a neutral party in order to reach their targets, then the foundations of a Peace Support Operation are gone; there is no way Arthuria can 'keep' a peace if there is no peace to keep."

"Yes." Andri continued, this time looking at the faces seated around the table. "We are not enforcing a peace on anyone. We are here to help support the peace which you have all decided to maintain. I am sure that this will inspire many questions around the room, but before we address them, we must confront the problem of the territorial extent of the proposed buffer zone." He nodded towards Thor, in whose departmental realm this issue resided.

"Thank you, Andri. As we have stated, it would be preferable to extend the buffer zone across the intra-Zanzeanic border to encompass at least some of Hadinian Zanzes. Diplomatically, this has so far proved impossible, for the reasons given by Janus." He nodded towards the Hadinian. "However, if I could argue Arthuria's position, it would support the logic of the operation if even a minor portion of the buffer zone were to be established on the Hadinian side of the border. That South Zanzes is willing to offer some of its territory for the use of peacekeeping forces shows that it has a stake in maintaining that peace. That Nui-ta would, according to the current proposal, be doing so for one of its protectorates also gives them a stake. A Peace Support Operation works most effectively if all parties hold a stake in it, which is why we have continued to ask for a presence, however minor, on Hadinian Zanzes also."

"If I may, Thor." Erik, resting his arms on the table and leaning forward, jumped in. It seemed like a three-way game of ping pong between the Arthurians. "If the worries of a buffer zone are over sovereignty, then I can see no military reason why regular inspections of Arthurian troops and positions cannot be held by Hadinian, Nui-tan and Zanzeanic security forces. It is important that Forsvar's Stræk is transparent in its operations here, and it would allow each country to verify our efforts to maintain neutrality."

Andri and Thor both nodded. "Yes." Andri said. "There are no political objections to such inspections from Arthuria. Of course, if there are other means by which we could assure you of our neutrality, we would happily receive them."

"This is unacceptable," Janus said simply. He was clearly aiming his anger more at Talia than the Arthurians.

"Firstly, Nui-ta is being asked the least of any of us. For the Arthurian buffer-zone to stretch into South Zanzes asks nothing of the country of Nui-ta itself. As far as my understanding of the situation goes, South Zanzes and Nui-ta still have totally separate governments --- it is the government of South Zanzes that must accommodate Arthurians under this proposal --- they have no qualms in doing so, and no qualms in the current set-up which does not require Hadinian Zanzes to do the same".

His eyes flashed on the attache accompanying Alfarsi. "If I am wrong, er...Corporal, please ask Alfarsi to correct me. I have no problems discussing the matter with the leader of a government which must actually put forward its resources, if he has a problem with it".

As his gaze returned to Talia, it sharpened.

"I do have a problem discussing the matter with the leader of a government which is not being asked anything at all. Arthuria isn't sitting on your borders. Arthuria asks nothing more than you other than two bases in whatever the capital of New Zanzes is, and in Rahku City. Don't act like that's some big sacrifice on your part when Kopurauth and Zanar are also accommodating this operation".

"Secondly, we have already shown the prior agreements that bind us not to allow outside interference into Hadinian Zanzes. Would you have Hadin risk its alliances with Segland and Algrabad by acquiescing outsiders the right to enter lands which are restricted to them by treaty?"

"This sort of action constitutes a breach of the treaty that divided Zanzes! Am I supposed to tell the High-Envoy that Hadin is accepting of an action that breaks the treaty? I'm not telling you I can't let Arthuria in to spite you, contrary to what you might think".

He thought for a moment and then paused. "...perhaps if the Arthurians submitted themselves to specific locations in Hadinian Zanzes, and allowed inspections, we would be at more liberty to allow this action...but the diplomatic lengths that would have to be crossed to get this kind of permission would be putting immense strain on Hadin. The major players of the UNCA would have to be involved. Fiete Nikastro would need to give his direct approval. Modifications to the Treaty of Zanar would have to be made..."

He scoffed at Talia a bit. "I hope you realize the magnitude of what you're asking for".
Last edited by Hadin on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zanzes
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanzes » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:13 am

Hadin wrote:"Firstly, Nui-ta is being asked the least of any of us. For the Arthurian buffer-zone to stretch into South Zanzes asks nothing of the country of Nui-ta itself. As far as my understanding of the situation goes, South Zanzes and Nui-ta still have totally separate governments --- it is the government of South Zanzes that must accommodate Arthurians under this proposal --- they have no qualms in doing so, and no qualms in the current set-up which does not require Hadinian Zanzes to do the same".

His eyes flashed on the attache accompanying Alfarsi. "If I am wrong, er...Corporal, please ask Alfarsi to correct me. I have no problems discussing the matter with the leader of a government which must actually put forward its resources, if he has a problem with it".

"Lieutenant," the attache corrected him promptly. Though she wanted to bite into the Hadinian man a little, she minded her tone and calmly, but firmly, introduced herself. She was an officer, and deserved to be treated as such. "With respect, it is proper to address me merely by rank, or with my surname. My surname in question is Volva."

She shouldn't have been surprised. Female soldiers in Hadin had always been something of an oddity. After the Hadinian War, Hadin ceased to allow women to serve altogether, even in a service capacity. The only place in Karas where Hadinian women lived and served their country was Alinia, a state with historically Hadinian roots, full of ethnic Hadinians, which had been Nui-tan land since after the Partition.

Volva should have known: she was from there. Her Hadinian surname, which she had acquired through marriage, gave that much away --- though her ethnically Nui-tan appearance, acquired by birth, caused most people to think otherwise.

She translated Janus Kafka's words obediently, watching Alfarsi raise his eyebrows several times. She even proceeded to quietly translate the goings-on of their argument, allowing Alfarsi the opportunity to intervene, if he wished.

He did not. She didn't blame him.

Hadinian and Nui-tan peace could be achieved; Volva had proven this at her wedding on the individual scale. Her husband had fled from Kopurauth during the Hadinian War, when he was just a teenager. For him to acclimate to Nui-ta, and for her to acclimate to the cultural vestiges he carried with him took time: and yet today, they were a happy couple. He respected her sex and military profession; she respected his religion, race, and foreign customs.

Deep down, they both just wanted the same things in life: the right to live a happy, quiet life. This thing had pushed them together where so much sought to tear them apart.

Alfarsi had not responded at all to Janus Kafka's question, remaining silent on the matter. This was likely to fuel the fires of both Kafka and Dehran --- but Lieutenant Volva was just the translator. She could do nothing more than translate and observe.

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:26 pm

The Arthurian Isles wrote:"Indeed." Thor interjected. "That last point is important. If one or more parties no longer desire peace, to the extent that they are willing to attack a neutral party in order to reach their targets, then the foundations of a Peace Support Operation are gone; there is no way Arthuria can 'keep' a peace if there is no peace to keep."

Talia suppressed a sigh of relief, doing her best to maintain a poker face. If Arthuria could indeed be trusted to be totally neutral --- and she had little doubt they wouldn't be --- then Nui-ta only needed to worry about Hadin. Furthermore, Hadin was left to a mere two options: either it "played nice" and sat idly on its own borders, or it made the first move.

The former option was the most desirable as it allowed Nui-ta to keep its hands clean --- but the latter also only had two outcomes, so far as Talia could see. If Hadin did indeed break the peace at a later time, Arthuria would either be forced out, or forced to fight Hadin out of self-defense. Though Nui-ta would inevitably be pulled into a conflict again in these cases, Arthuria would be ruled out as an enemy.

The Arthurian Isles wrote:"If I may, Thor." Erik, resting his arms on the table and leaning forward, jumped in. It seemed like a three-way game of ping pong between the Arthurians. "If the worries of a buffer zone are over sovereignty, then I can see no military reason why regular inspections of Arthurian troops and positions cannot be held by Hadinian, Nui-tan and Zanzeanic security forces. It is important that Forsvar's Stræk is transparent in its operations here, and it would allow each country to verify our efforts to maintain neutrality."

"You will hear no objections from me about re---" Talia began, but she was cut off.

Hadin wrote:"This is unacceptable," Janus said simply. He was clearly aiming his anger more at Talia than the Arthurians.

"Firstly, Nui-ta is being asked the least of any of us. For the Arthurian buffer-zone to stretch into South Zanzes asks nothing of the country of Nui-ta itself. As far as my understanding of the situation goes, South Zanzes and Nui-ta still have totally separate governments --- it is the government of South Zanzes that must accommodate Arthurians under this proposal --- they have no qualms in doing so, and no qualms in the current set-up which does not require Hadinian Zanzes to do the same".

And it was at this point that Talia finally lost her temper. She rose up from her chair with all the fury of a volcano and pointed an accusatory finger at Janus.

"And just what the hell is that supposed to mean?!" Talia spat. "I don't know what's more insulting! You're either insinuating that the Nui-tan government --- my government, has no place discussing these negotiations due to the lack of a geographical land border --- or worse, you're insinuating that he --- ", she pointed to a undoubtedly started Alfarsi, "has more right to discuss this with you based on his gender. If I happen to be wrong about the sharp stress you've placed on that latter pronoun, I'd love to hear your response..."

She scoffed at him, "you completely forget Nui-ta's position in this region, Janus Kafka. South Zanzes may be the nation physically at stake within these negotiations, but you shouldn't forget that South Zanzes stands on Nui-ta's shoulders. Their army uses our equipment. Their personnel have been trained by our own. We helped build their infrastructure! They trade almost exclusively with us, which means that our currency might as well be the life-blood of their economy! And yet you stand here and insinuate that Nui-ta --- that I --- have no business being here!"

She caught her breath, and while she paused, Janus made it clear he wasn't quite done with her...

Hadin wrote:As his gaze returned to Talia, it sharpened.

"I do have a problem discussing the matter with the leader of a government which is not being asked anything at all. Arthuria isn't sitting on your borders. Arthuria asks nothing more than you other than two bases in whatever the capital of New Zanzes is, and in Rahku City. Don't act like that's some big sacrifice on your part when Kopurauth and Zanar are also accommodating this operation".

"The capital of New Zanzes is Joghba, for your information," Talia said sarcastically. "And if you really think we're being asked nothing, don't forget that there are Nui-tan troops alongside Zanzeanic troops on our side of that border. If Zanzes bleeds, Nui-ta bleeds with it --- so I think we're being asked quite a bit!"

Hadin wrote:"Secondly, we have already shown the prior agreements that bind us not to allow outside interference into Hadinian Zanzes. Would you have Hadin risk its alliances with Segland and Algrabad by acquiescing outsiders the right to enter lands which are restricted to them by treaty?"

"This sort of action constitutes a breach of the treaty that divided Zanzes! Am I supposed to tell the High-Envoy that Hadin is accepting of an action that breaks the treaty? I'm not telling you I can't let Arthuria in to spite you, contrary to what you might think".

"No one is interfering in anything! Arthuria just wants to observe. They're even letting you decide where Arthuria will position their troops --- which can't possibly be considered an interference. They couldn't make themselves any more convenient for you if they got on their knees and begged!"

Hadin wrote:He thought for a moment and then paused. "...perhaps if the Arthurians submitted themselves to specific locations in Hadinian Zanzes, and allowed inspections, we would be at more liberty to allow this action...but the diplomatic lengths that would have to be crossed to get this kind of permission would be putting immense strain on Hadin. The major players of the UNCA would have to be involved. Fiete Nikastro would need to give his direct approval. Modifications to the Treaty of Zanar would have to be made..."

He scoffed at Talia a bit. "I hope you realize the magnitude of what you're asking for".

"I hope you realize the magnitude of the peace you're personally jeopardizing right now..."

The Arthurian Isles
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Arthurian Isles » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:48 pm

The Arthurians sat and watched. Each did so in their own way.

Thor, the more politically-aware of them, was leaning back in his seat, face raised and looking upon the warring sides with an expression of puzzlement. His hands rested together in his lap and his eyes flicked between Janus, Talia and Alfarsi. At the mention of sexism, he briefly glanced ahead of him; his moustache twitched almost imperceptibly as the thought crossed his mind that such an insult bore no meaning to him. It was not a moment of moral superiority so much as his recognition that his own language did not allow it - him and her simply did not feature in the Arthurian vocabulary.

Opposite him, Andri looked more concerned. His body language was that of a problem-solver. He leant over to one side of his chair, resting an elbow on its arm and stroking his chin. He stared blankly directly ahead of him, boring a hole into the table. His brow was creased. As soon as Talia stood up, he directed his eyes to her and did not move them again. It was the same with Erik, who as a conscientious soldier did no more than to sit quietly and contentedly as the politicians dismembered the plans he had made so carefully for so long a time.

All three of them seemed distinctly separate from the unfolding argument. They were being spoken about, but not necessarily to. It was exactly as Thor had hoped. It was, after all, the belligerents who needed to truly desire the peace; the Arthurians were there to supply an impartial means of achieving it. The scene ahead of them did not seem peaceful, though, and like their little country, the three of them were waiting for the opportune moment to interject. It seemingly arrived with Talia's reminder of what was at stake. Her words reverberated around the room, leaving behind them a silence which was made only so powerful by their presence beforehand. It was humbling. From it, a gentle voice emerged, itself humble.

"If I may." Thor leaned forward, careful to ensure that his gaze switched equally between Talia, Janus and Alfarsi. "We are all of us here in an attempt to bolster peace. The aim is peace between nations, and that requires us to subjugate our personal views to the interests of our people, as best we can. But it a measure of peace between us in this room is a strong foundation for the continuation of these negotiations - as strong, perhaps, as the best laid plans which can be offered us by the Grunden Harmarskal." He gestured at Erik.

"So I will agree with you, Talia, that your country is bearing a heavy burden in the former Zanzeanic Empire. It is a different burden than is being borne by Alfarsi's people or by yours, Janus, but it is a burden nonetheless and deserves the respect of our consideration." Thor cleared his throat.

"However, the pressures on the Hadinian government must also be recognised. Arthuria has no wish to deny any country represented here the sovereignty over their territory. Therefore, I think it only fair that the locations of Arthurian positions in any buffer zone be pre-agreed with the relevant host state. That is to say that if you were to permit an Arthurian presence on your side of the border, Janus, we would like to co-ordinate with you where our troops would be stationed, based on both your concerns and the practical necessities of a peacekeeping operation. The same procedure would, of course, be extended to the government of South Zanzes." He looked over to Andri, who was ready to offer his support - something which he would obviously never have withheld but which still provided some psychological edge to the Arthurians, even if it only benefited their own confidence.

"Yes. That is perfectly reasonable. And it wouldn't require significant delays to the planning or implementation of any operation." Andri finally broke his stare from the table and looked to Talia, Janus and Alfarsi. He even smiled, though not much, due in equal measure to the seriousness of the situation and to the seriousness of his character. "And if you are concerned about Arthurian bases in Rahku City, Kopurauth or Zanar, then I can reassure you. We do not dare to request such sacrifices from you. It would be presumptuous of us and unnecessary. We ask only that we send an additional liaison mission to our embassies in those cities with direct communication links to your own governments. It is in Joghba that a larger presence would be required, if you would permit it Talia, in order that we provide adequate command and control to our troops, but even this would be more an office building than a military facility. Were the operation to go ahead, I hope this would be acceptable to you all."

Erik watched it all. To him, it was fascinating. He had a measure of political skill himself, having spent a career attending planning meetings and working with his government. But he couldn't separate it from a strategic view that had understandably grown from his years of military service. He wondered whether the sudden inject of calm from Thor and Erik might reduce tensions, or whether they would be lost in the weeds of anger.

Lukas left the dining room alone. Trausti had abandoned him for a gaggle of engineers talking about what they would do when they went ashore. For most of them, this exotic land was shoved to the sidelines by its even more exotic alcohol. But Lukas did not like to drink and he had no interest in exploring anywhere off the beaten trail - the thought of the germs was enough to put him off. So he had left for his cabin in the hope that he could spend a few moments alone with his Dotify and a cup of tea. It was not to be.

He turned a corner and stopped mid-step, like some jerky puppet. Facing him, about halfway down the corridor, was a man in a suit and laptop bag. It was not something that he expected to see on the Æsgard. The two looked at one another for a split second, each wondering exactly what to do, the suited man looking suspiciously nervous and Lukas growing ever-more confused. And then the gap between them narrowed. The suited man began to walk towards him, hands out.

"Help me."

Lukas didn't know what to do. He had figured out that this must have been one of the civvies whom they were hosting - probably Hadinian by his features - but was he simply lost? No, his face was more nervous than that, and his tone was something scarier. But then it did not really matter, Lukas thought. There was not much he could do; he was unarmed and would have to stop the man getting any further. If he could find out anything more, that would be a bonus.

"Deg vær hold!" Lukas drew himself up, shoulders back and chest out, and raised his right hand towards the man. It was the best he could think of, until he realised that he was speaking in Arthurian. "Um..." He could speak English. Pretty much every Arthurian could, and to a good level too, but that did not stop him from having to think when the pressure mounted unexpectedly.

"Stop there!" It did not have the intimidating effect that it had first done in Arthurian, but it would do. "Who are you? What do you want?"

Lukas kept his right hand stretched out. With his left, he fumbled in his pocket for his phone.
Last edited by The Arthurian Isles on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hadin
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hadin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Lukas left the dining room alone. Trausti had abandoned him for a gaggle of engineers talking about what they would do when they went ashore. For most of them, this exotic land was shoved to the sidelines by its even more exotic alcohol. But Lukas did not like to drink and he had no interest in exploring anywhere off the beaten trail - the thought of the germs was enough to put him off. So he had left for his cabin in the hope that he could spend a few moments alone with his Dotify and a cup of tea. It was not to be.

He turned a corner and stopped mid-step, like some jerky puppet. Facing him, about halfway down the corridor, was a man in a suit and laptop bag. It was not something that he expected to see on the Æsgard. The two looked at one another for a split second, each wondering exactly what to do, the suited man looking suspiciously nervous and Lukas growing ever-more confused. And then the gap between them narrowed. The suited man began to walk towards him, hands out.

"Help me."

Lukas didn't know what to do. He had figured out that this must have been one of the civvies whom they were hosting - probably Hadinian by his features - but was he simply lost? No, his face was more nervous than that, and his tone was something scarier. But then it did not really matter, Lukas thought. There was not much he could do; he was unarmed and would have to stop the man getting any further. If he could find out anything more, that would be a bonus.

"Deg vær hold!" Lukas drew himself up, shoulders back and chest out, and raised his right hand towards the man. It was the best he could think of, until he realised that he was speaking in Arthurian. "Um..." He could speak English. Pretty much every Arthurian could, and to a good level too, but that did not stop him from having to think when the pressure mounted unexpectedly.

"Stop there!" It did not have the intimidating effect that it had first done in Arthurian, but it would do. "Who are you? What do you want?"

Lukas kept his right hand stretched out. With his left, he fumbled in his pocket for his phone.

Hans was perceptive enough to see quickly that one hand on the soldier was reaching for --- something. Whether it was a weapon or a means of calling reinforcements, he did not know. He could not take the chance with either. In all honesty, a weapon was preferable: should his actions here fail, at least a weapon would allow him a different means of escape.

Don't think like that. There's a way out of this.

"Wait, hear me out." He kept his hands in the air. "I just want you to hear me out". His throat was dry: a sign of his nervousness. His voice cracked a bit under the pressure. He could feel a bead of sweat riding down the back of his neck.

"I'm only here for one reason. I can't leave this ship the way I came. If I do, I'll be signing my own death warrant".

He didn't know how to introduce or explain himself. If the situation had been reversed, back in the day when Hans had been in the military, he probably wouldn't afforded anyone else the courtesty of listening, the way the Arthurian soldier was. It spoke volumes about the differences between their two countries, but perhaps it also spoke to the fact of who Hans had tried to be for so long, attempting to fall in line with the Septimist agenda before one day realizing that he couldn't deny the truth any longer.

The truth.

"I..."

He invoked a line he'd once written on a TrickiLeaks article. Surely this man must have been familiar with it; and if not this man, then certainly some Arthurian on this ship. News of Arthuria's general support of TrickiLeaks, and even a willingness to grant asylum to Mr. Tricki, had made it as far as Hadin. In Hadin, most people had no idea how to get to Arthuria, and therefore paid it no mind. In Arthuria...they simply didn't know who Mr. Tricki was.

Specifically, Mr. Tricki was standing in front of Lukas right now. And the proof of this truth was in Hans's bag.

The truth.

The truth.

"Listen...before you call for anyone or shoot me. You should know the truth. The truth...it's in my bag".

"If you wouldn't mind..." Hans said nervously, moving very, very slowly as he knelt down on his knees and removed his bag from his shoulders. Whether or not the Arthurian understood what he was doing was up to chance, but in Hadin this was a universal sign of submission and non-resistance.

He gently slid the bag over to Lukas.

"I-its...er..."

"I'm sure you've heard of TrickiLeaks? Well...the people I came with, arguing upstairs with the Nui-tans and the Zanze. They've heard about TrickiLeaks. What they don't know is that it's been closer to them than they think the entire time. And right now, you're the closest person in all of Noctur to it. To me".

"You can call whoever you need to now, to verify whatever you need to --- but you should know something that no one else here knows yet --- and hopefully something you'll help me keep concealed from the people who came along here with me".

"Upstairs they know me as Hans Yarringsen, though actually I prefer the last name Sebastino. You...er...they don't know that either. But you probably do me. You just know me by the name Mr. Tricki..."

He paused a minute. "And the only other thing you need to know is that....however I leave this ship...if it involves leaving for Hadin, I'd much prefer to jump off the deck".

She scoffed at him, "you completely forget Nui-ta's position in this region, Janus Kafka. South Zanzes may be the nation physically at stake within these negotiations, but you shouldn't forget that South Zanzes stands on Nui-ta's shoulders. Their army uses our equipment. Their personnel have been trained by our own. We helped build their infrastructure! They trade almost exclusively with us, which means that our currency might as well be the life-blood of their economy! And yet you stand here and insinuate that Nui-ta --- that I --- have no business being here!"

"I've explained perfectly well why I don't think you have any business here. I can assure you my disdain is rooted in geography, not gender," Kafka chuckled. He was just about done with this conversation. Admittedly, he came from a country where he would never have expected to see a woman talking back to him in this way, and perhaps it was a bit sexist how he was handling it.

But he'd 'checked out' from engaging Talia any further. Though he was still listening in kind to the Arthurians, and to the rather silent Zanze, he was finished with Talia Dehran. He did not board this ship to be shown such disrespect.

"No one is interfering in anything! Arthuria just wants to observe. They're even letting you decide where Arthuria will position their troops --- which can't possibly be considered an interference. They couldn't make themselves any more convenient for you if they got on their knees and begged!"

"I hope you realize the magnitude of the peace you're personally jeopardizing right now..."

Janus groaned a bit. He was at an impasse. On the one hand, the damned woman had a point. As much as Janus felt that it was a priority to keep the UNCA treaty above the peace negotiations, he was firmly aware that he and Talia were starting to go around in circles.

He couldn't accept anything. He wasn't going to accept anything. But the talks had escalated past the point where Janus could continue this discussion himself. Zanzes and Nui-ta had brought forth their Heads of Government; the only way for this discussion to go any further was via the Hadinian Head of State. Janus Kafka couldn't help but worry that Fiete would acquiese to the other powers in Karas, within reason. In doing so, he feared that some of the hard-liners in Hadin and Algrabad would react.

Too much compromise was a bad thing --- but Janus Kafka was not the High-Envoy. He could only push the decison forward in this stalemate.

"You know what --- I think it doesn't suit me to continue this discussion. The simple fact of the matter is that these talks are just about over for now. Hadin has priorities to consider, and I am personally responsible for making sure these priorities get the attention they are due."

"This is now a matter for the High-Envoy to consider, as the stalemate exists now."

"If I may." Thor leaned forward, careful to ensure that his gaze switched equally between Talia, Janus and Alfarsi. "We are all of us here in an attempt to bolster peace. The aim is peace between nations, and that requires us to subjugate our personal views to the interests of our people, as best we can. But it a measure of peace between us in this room is a strong foundation for the continuation of these negotiations - as strong, perhaps, as the best laid plans which can be offered us by the Grunden Harmarskal." He gestured at Erik.

"So I will agree with you, Talia, that your country is bearing a heavy burden in the former Zanzeanic Empire. It is a different burden than is being borne by Alfarsi's people or by yours, Janus, but it is a burden nonetheless and deserves the respect of our consideration." Thor cleared his throat.

"However, the pressures on the Hadinian government must also be recognised. Arthuria has no wish to deny any country represented here the sovereignty over their territory. Therefore, I think it only fair that the locations of Arthurian positions in any buffer zone be pre-agreed with the relevant host state. That is to say that if you were to permit an Arthurian presence on your side of the border, Janus, we would like to co-ordinate with you where our troops would be stationed, based on both your concerns and the practical necessities of a peacekeeping operation. The same procedure would, of course, be extended to the government of South Zanzes." He looked over to Andri, who was ready to offer his support - something which he would obviously never have withheld but which still provided some psychological edge to the Arthurians, even if it only benefited their own confidence.

Janus Kafka scoffed a little, but relaxed himself.

At least the Arthurians are giving Hadin something to work with..

Zanzes
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanzes » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:20 pm

It was true that Alfarsi had been quiet through much of this discussion. Much of his silence was due to the language barrier, and the fast-paced nature of the argument between the arrogant Hadinian man, and the violently angry Nui-tan woman.

No wonder these two countries don't get along, he'd thought throughout the discussion. They seem to offend each other at every turn.

The Arthurians themselves seemed barely able to do more than keep up and occassionaly interject with alternate ideas. The Hadinian seemed far too concerned with his own agenda to listen, and the Nui-tan woman was far too livid to accept any recourse at all. Alfarsi's own translator, the esteemed Lieutenant Volva, was nothing but patient and trustworthy as she worked through translating the multi-faceted argument to Alfarsi.

As she did this, however, it was more and more evident that Alfarsi was becoming angry. His eyes seemed to harden. His expression, which had reflected joy towards the Arthurians, now began to show a scowl directed at the other two countries in the room. The time it took for this scowl to make itself apparent crawled by, as Volva had to go to extra lengths to explain the cultural facets of the argument; Janus's perceived sexism and Talia's "lack of place".

As Janus and Talia's argument was finishing up, Alfarsi had finally been given enough information, and enough to be angry about, to speak.

"Shut up, will you both just shut up?" Alfarsi said, with Volva translating.

"We are here in front of our gracious hosts, who have acted at every turn to ensure a peace for us all, and the two of you both bicker about the slights to your pride. Perhaps we are here for different reasons".

"I am here representing the Zanze, who wish for nothing but peace. From all I have seen, Arthuria has done nothing to weaken this peace. You of the Arthurians have my full gratitude and co-operation with any and all ideas that you prescribe.

"Zanar will co-operate fully with the Arthurian initiative; because Zanzes and Arthuria both obviously desire peace. I cannot speak for Kopurauth or Rahku, but I should hope that you will be convinced".

His eyes flashed on Janus first.

"You say that you are more willing to listen to me than the woman? Then very well, listen well. In our culture, a warlord's rights to domination are respected. As your nation proved itself superior to mine in the ways of war, I do not expect you to acquiese your prior agreements to your allies in order to accommodate a nation such as mine. I am told your nation dominates the second world alongside two other nations; Algrabad and Segland".

"I do not understand the concept of there even being a second world. I think there is only one world --- but I understand that you have your own commitments within this world, and you must see to the needs of your allies first".

"To this end, I do not expect or ask the Hadinians to allow Arthuria on their side of the border, if the situation is such that they cannot. This is the way of war. It is the victor who decides the path of history, and while those in Nui-ta might argue that Hadin was not the victor, my people disagree. The Karasian War was fought between Zanzes and Hadin; not Nui-ta and Hadin. Zanzes clearly lost, and we respect that".

"I respond to Mr. Kafka as I have to Arthuria: Zanar will comply as the conditions have been agreed to right now".

His eyes now flashed upon Talia.

"There are none here who doubt what Nui-ta has done for Zanzes. Were it not for Nui-ta, there would likely not be a Zanzes now. In our choice to exist as a Nui-tan protectorate, we must respect Nui-ta's input on this matter --- and so must our enemies, for they must now contend with the warlords we have chosen to protect us".

"While I wholeheartedly agree with you that you and your country have a place at the table, you must not let your emotions jeopardize the peace you have promised us. If you and this man continue to argue as you are now...there will be no peace".

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:21 pm

"There are none here who doubt what Nui-ta has done for Zanzes. Were it not for Nui-ta, there would likely not be a Zanzes now. In our choice to exist as a Nui-tan protectorate, we must respect Nui-ta's input on this matter --- and so must our enemies, for they must now contend with the warlords we have chosen to protect us".

"While I wholeheartedly agree with you that you and your country have a place at the table, you must not let your emotions jeopardize the peace you have promised us. If you and this man continue to argue as you are now...there will be no peace".

Talia balked a bit. Zanzes was backing out of this argument? She scoffed.

"If you choose to be protected, you cannot demand the means".

"You know what --- I think it doesn't suit me to continue this discussion. The simple fact of the matter is that these talks are just about over for now. Hadin has priorities to consider, and I am personally responsible for making sure these priorities get the attention they are due."

"This is now a matter for the High-Envoy to consider, as the stalemate exists now."

Hadin was backing out too. Talia couldn't help but respond to the gesture with a slight eye-roll.

"You know what, I actually agree. I hear the High-Envoy is a more reasonable man than his predecessor".

We ask only that we send an additional liaison mission to our embassies in those cities with direct communication links to your own governments. It is in Joghba that a larger presence would be required, if you would permit it Talia, in order that we provide adequate command and control to our troops, but even this would be more an office building than a military facility. Were the operation to go ahead, I hope this would be acceptable to you all."

Talia nodded. At least someone was still willing to speak reason.

"You will have full leave to conduct yourselves in Joghba as you see necessary in order to ensure the effective command of this operation".

The Arthurian Isles
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Arthurian Isles » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:17 am

The room remained quiet. From outside, noises drifted in, of daily life on board the ship and of the sea around it. Beyond those doors, life was continuing as normal. But inside, despite the sudden lull into silence, the mood was not one of peace but of frustration and, for some, desperation.

It took a while for Thor to speak. He was staring intently in front of him, head down and brow scrunched in concentration. But when he did look up, his face was as content as one would have expected if he had just secured a victory for his ideals. It was odd, considering they were in fact fading before him.

"Thank you, all of you." He looked Alfarsi, Talia and Janus in the eyes, lingering particularly on the Zanze. Though his country was as different from Arthuria as one could imagine from a glancing judgement, there was something about Alfarsi's acceptance of its weaknesses that resonated with Thor and transformed his interest into a sincere respect. "Thank you for being so receptive to the motions put forward so far, and for dignifying them with serious thought, even if that may have manifested itself in strong words."

He sighed, and then looked over to Andri. Andri nodded, and Thor continued. "For practical reasons, though, I think we must conclude the meeting there. We have all contributed to this plan, and I am sure that we will continue to do so in the immediate future. But it must now be discussed with our governments too, in the relative calm of isolation.

"If this works, and our countries agree to it, then I believe we have a way towards sustainable peace. I only hope that you share my thoughts."

Andri nodded again. Behind him, the doors opened and a sailor entered. The greens and browns of his uniform were the first signs of colour in the monochrome of suits, except for the blood-red of Hadin's flag still hanging between Arthuria's and Nui-ta's at one end of the room. The sailor placed his clenched fist to his heart in a quick salute, apologised for the interruption, and headed directly for Erik. No words were spoken. A note was passed between them, which Erik read and slipped straight into his pocket. The sailor repeated his salute and left. Erik nodded to Thor and Andri.

"Well." Said Thor. He rose out of his chair, leaning on his cane. He smiled and gestured to the door. "May I invite you all to the deck."

In the flurry of activity, of chatter, of chairs scraping along the floor and of people slowly pushing towards the exit, Erik just had time to whisper a few words to Thor and Andri. The three of them left alongside the other delegations, but they did not head for the deck.

"Whether or not he's Mr Tricki, the computer he's provided has enough intelligence on there to suggest that he's a serious whistleblower."

Erik, Thor and Andri were hemmed into the IntO's1 office, alongside the IntO herself, the ship's captain and Lukas. It was not an ideal place to be discussing such matters, but given the circumstances, it was all that could be found. Lukas was standing in one corner, uneasy in the presence of so many of his seniors (he was a nervous guy as was), while the rest of them were crowded behind the single desk in the room, leaning over the shoulders of the IntO so as to glimpse at the laptop.

"And you say he's after asylum?" Thor asked Lukas.

"Uhm, not asylum specifically. Just that he doesn't want to go back to Hadin."

Nothing but the whir of computers could be heard for a short while. And then Andri spoke. "Thank you, all of you. We will need to call on you shortly, I'm sure, but for now we need to discuss this as a government decision, rather than a military one."

"I understand, Andri. If you need it, we've got the secure line there." Erik pointed at an inconspicuous grey phone on the desk, and then he nodded towards the other three uniforms in the room. They all left, squeezing out of the tiny office as best they could. Andri and Thor were left alone.

"What are your thoughts?" Thor asked.

"That we must either betray our ideals or betray Hadin. And that is a dangerous enemy to make for ourselves."

"Yes. They're already the most tentative on the peacekeeping operation. If we were to mishandle this, we would lose everything we have gained in goodwill within Karas." Thor said. "But we could also draw attention to the cause of freedom of speech, of information, of transparency."

Andri raised an eyebrow. "Perhaps we're getting ahead of ourselves. This is a man's life. If he goes back to Hadin and gets discovered, he'll be killed. Treason alone should be enough for their government, not to mention his homosexuality."

"Stop being so damn opaque, Andri. What do you think we should do?"

Andri paused and looked down at his feet. When he met Thor's eyes again, he had an expression of resignation on his face. "We should offer Hans Sebastino asylum, but he must do so through official channels. He needs to get to an Arthurian embassy."

"So you would risk our entire diplomatic initiative in Karas?"

"Risk it, yes. But condemn it, not necessarily. The Hadinians don't yet know who Mr Tricki is. To them, Hans Sebastino - or Yarringsen as I believe he is known - is another of the LGBTQ+ community who has decided to head to Arthuria. He would not be the first and certainly will not be the last. And this is not a diplomatic issue. It is an accepted part of the relationship between our two countries."

Thor thought, and grinned. "Yes, I like it. We would have to warn him that he would still be at risk of being identified, even in Arthuria. And how will he get to an Arthurian embassy anyhow?"

"Kopurauth, surely." Andri said.

"I suspect not." Thor replied. "If he's revealed himself to us now, it's because he can't afford to wait any longer. Anyway, he's not willing to let us keep this laptop, and I fear it would not make it to Arthuria with him if he were to go through the routine humanitarian visa process at the Kopurauth embassy. Hadinian intelligence would have a high chance of discovering his alternate identity."

"We may need to employ a covert approach." Andri said. Thor nodded. The atmosphere was tense.

But it was neither one of them that broke the tension. Rather, the grey phone snapped them out of their thoughts. Thor pressed a button, and it stopped.

"Sæl2. You're on."

A voice came through from the speaker tinny and garbled. "Sæl, it's Lif." Lif, the environment minister and fellow member of the Storting3, was a calming presence. He was thoughtful and assured, a well-liked and respected member of the government and a close friend to many of the other Federal Ministers.

"Sæl, Lif. Have the other Stormaður discussed it yet?"

"Ja. The mood is procedural here. The Folkting4 already discussed this, and the Storting agrees that Mr Tricki is eligible for asylum, but must go through the normal procedures."

"OK. Thanks Lif. We'll sort it out on our end." Thor replied.

The line cut out.

"We need to get that man to Rahku City." Andri said. "Let's bring him in here for a chat; let him know that we want to help him, but that we're going to have to sneak him out."

1 Intelligence Officer

2 Hello

3 The Storting (in English, "the Great Thing", but more commonly "the Federal Council") is the nine-person Arthurian head of government. Its members are known as Stormaður.

4 The Folkting (in English, "the People's Thing", but more commonly "the Federal Assembly") is the lower chamber of the Alting, the "All Thing", or "Federal Parliament". It is made up of 201 Folkmaður elected by proportional representation throughout the country.

Hadin
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hadin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:55 pm

Talia Dehran had done Hans a great service without ever having known it. As the foreign delegations were being whisked back unto the desk and leaving with distaste in their mouths, the aides and Kafka were debating so much as to what to do next that they didn't realize Hans hadn't accompanied them until after the helicopter took off. The air of hostility served its purpose well to blind his associates. The pilot would ultimately be punished for "forgetting" to do a head-count, but before arranging his accomplice's compliance with a well-placed bribe, Hans had done careful research on the available pilots for this voyage, and ensured he found the one with the darkest marks on his record.

Abrahem Detrasovich would enjoy the 30,000 Dir bribe1 while it lasted. Perhaps he would fantasize about his new-found ability to purchase a woman from a good family, rather than from the slum he'd grown up in. It didn't matter. What did matter was that the inevitable investigation as to why a government worker escaped Hadin would be traced back to Detrasovich.

Maybe Abrahem shouldn't have been so happy about participating in all those lynchings2 he bragged about.

For further protection, Hans had left a confession at home, in such a place which would not be discovered until after Hadin decided to turn his home upside down and investigate. On another laptop, he'd cleared the hard-drive completely and left only one file. A simple file programmed using the most rudimentary of programming script. It displayed a single line of text when run.

Carissimi Fiete, pacisci nostri est nihil. Vici.3

Of course, that was all in the future to be. As he waited for the Arthurians to deliberate, Hans's mind returned to the present. Half of what they were likely to tell him, he already knew. Once the Hadinian government confirmed he'd betrayed them, he'd be a persona non grata to Hadin. Even if they didn't identify him, he was as good as dead to them. Any country in the UNCA would be extraordinarily dangerous for him now, and any of their agents could be assumed to be a danger.

They would almost certainly identify him, even if they couldn't touch him. Perhaps it was better that way, anyway. What good was life in the dark of the closet?

Given his prior record as well, once Fiete Nikastro was personally informed that Hans had escaped, all hell would break loose. Fiete had given him a second chance to assimilate into the Theocracy, and Hans had purposefully broken it. The High-Envoy would not appreciate being made a fool of. There would be no third chance.

Thus, Hans was also acutely aware that Kopurauth was no longer an option --- but that was fine. The Arthurian craft wasn't very far away at all from a stop where one of Hans's greatest connections resided. The Nui-tan state of Alinia --- once the Hadinian state of Alinia, had become home to two great things in Hans's mind.

First, it was home to the largest population of Hadinian ex-pats in all of Noctur. Most of Hans's family were, in fact, defectors to Hadin from Alinia --- and there were plenty of people he'd known who had escaped who'd passed through there at some point. He would blend in just fine there, and if anyone there recognized him, it was likely to be positive.

Second, it was home to the Alinian mafia4. The Alinian mafia were close to the Hadinian mafia, and the Hadinian mafia were close to UMBRA. Hans would practically be surrounded by friends there. A gift for the local gang-leader would easily secure him a warm bed and a place to hide from Nui-tan authorities until proper arrangements for asylum had been made somewhere more permanent.

Better yet, the high rate of emigration by persons of ethnic Hadinian origin into Arthuria, and vice versa, resulted in an Arthurian consulate being located in the state capital.

With the assistance of the Arthurians, this plan would be easy. All they had to do was not say anything until they docked to re-supply in a local Alinian port. When this happened, Hans would take the opportunity to leave the ship. From there, the dominoes would fall.

The Arthurians called him into their room. It was time.

1One might wonder as to how a lowly government aide acquired such an extreme amount of money at such an age. In Hadin, many men stay home with their extended families until they have enough money saved to purchase a wife. All of the years spent pretending to work up a suitable dowry were actually coming to a close at this very moment.

2There was an unspoken epidemic of mass-murder in Hadin at the time of the Lucas and Hass High-Envoyships. Undesirables such as liberal Septimists, homosexuals, apostates, and educated women were "discovered". Officially, many just "disappeared", but there are some in Hadin who know the truth --- that the Theocracy's hardliners took advantage of these conservative governments to commit a genocide.

3The note says simply, "Dear Fiete, the deal is nothing now. I won". "Dear Fiete" is a very disrespectful way to talk to the High Envoy. The usage of "carissimi" rather than "cara" is even worse --- "carissimi" used to be how gay men addressed each other in Hadin when they wanted to covertly make their sexuality known.

4The Hadinian mafia has existed in Hadin since pre-Partition times; when Alinia was traded off for Suile-Blan during the Partition, the mafia branch there had to adjust to a new climate and eventually became their own entity. While most Nui-tan and Hadinian organizations don't get along with each other well, the Alinian and Hadinian mafia can barely survive without each other, and thus hold each other in close respect and co-operation. The Alinian side makes a lot of money being the supplier of contraband for the Hadinian mafia, while the Hadinian mafia makes a lot of money smuggling people out of Hadin into Alinia.

There are rumors that the two groups benefit off of each other in numerous other ways. We won't deal with those here.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates