NATION

PASSWORD

dispatch link with anchor oopsie

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Nueva Rico
Secretary

Founded: Feb 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

dispatch link with anchor oopsie

Postby Nueva Rico » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:45 pm

I've noticed on numerous occasions that when there is a link to a dispatch with an anchor (i.e. ~/page=dispatch/id=~#~), it does not usually take you to the anchor as intended and expected. When linked, it might take you a paragraph up or down, several pages, or work as intended. However, when you click the link and then refresh again after the page has loaded, it always redirects you to the right place on the page.

see: https://www.nationstates.net/region=rid ... #p29435482 if you need an example.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Oh that's interesting. What's happening is images are loading and pushing other content down the page, so by the time you arrive at the desired scrollpoint, it's moved. On your second attempt, it works because the images are already loaded. I'll look into it.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Hmm, well I possibly improved the situation, although it's impossible to fix properly without a deeper overhaul, since it's always possible for an image to load 1ms after you've scrolled to the right place, which then pushes everything out of place.

Nueva Rico
Secretary

Founded: Feb 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nueva Rico » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 pm

[violet] wrote:Hmm, well I possibly improved the situation, although it's impossible to fix properly without a deeper overhaul, since it's always possible for an image to load 1ms after you've scrolled to the right place, which then pushes everything out of place.

Wouldn't it be sufficient to force a refresh when you go on a dispatch after enough time has passed for pictures to load, or might that break things? Or scrolling to the right part of the page, last, after the page has already fully loaded, rather than first.

Scratch that, seems to be fixed for the most part now. Thanks!
Last edited by Nueva Rico on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to Technical