NATION

PASSWORD

Iceland To Ban Male Circumcision

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Iceland To Ban Male Circumcision

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Finally some good news:

Iceland is poised to become the first European country to outlaw male circumcision amid signs that the ritual common to both Judaism and Islam may be a new battleground over religious freedom.

A bill currently before the Icelandic parliament proposes a penalty of up to six years in prison for anyone carrying out a circumcision other than for medical reasons. Critics say the move, which has sparked alarm among religious leaders across Europe, would make life for Jews and Muslims in Iceland unsustainable.

One in three men globally is thought to be circumcised, the vast majority for religious or cultural reasons. Many Jews and Muslims fear the issue of circumcision could become a proxy for antisemitism and Islamophobia, pointing to similar tensions over religious dress and the ritual slaughter of animals for meat.

Muslim and Jewish leaders attacked the proposal, while Cardinal Reinhard Marx, president of the Catholic Church in the European Union, said the bill was a “dangerous attack” on religious freedom. “The criminalisation of circumcision is a very grave measure that raises deep concern.”

The Icelandic bill says the circumcision of young boys violates their rights and is incompatible with the United Nations convention on the rights of the child. It draws a parallel with female genital mutilation, already outlawed in most European countries.

And here I thought the Icelandic government only pandered to feminists. I am pleasantly surprised. I hope they do pass it and extend the right of bodily sovereignty to young boys who for no legitimate non-medical reasons have their genitalia mutilated against their will. Hopefully this sparks a wave of finally positive change for the rights of men and boys not only across Europe, but across the world.

Edit: Apparently we have to discuss whether or not this ban is a good idea even if the benefits of this should be self evident. So, NSG, is this ban good for boys? Does it unnecessarily discriminate against Jews and Muslims in Iceland?
Last edited by Costa Fierro on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:22 pm

And what would you discuss, hmmm?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 pm

It's not good news when a nation violates religious freedom. Are they aware of the religious significance of circumcision for Judaism?
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Hakons wrote:It's not good news when a nation violates religious freedom. Are they aware of the religious significance of circumcision for Judaism?

They are aware of it's significance for religious communities. However they believe that religious tolerance should not supersede the rights of the child. Which I agree with. The law allows for boys to have circumcisions once they reach an age where they can understand what is involved.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 pm

Some will say it violates religious freedom, but personally I'd say the practice violates the bodily autonomy of the most vulnerable in society. Sure, if an adult wants a circumcision, they can have it. However, almost always it is inflicted on infants who don't get a choice. Good for Iceland.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:39 pm

"Unsustainable" is a very interesting word choice. It implies that Judiasm and Islam will completely fall apart and cease to exist if they are no longer able to mutilate infants. That seems like something of a stretch. And anyways, even if it's true, do we really want religions that require infant mutilation?
Last edited by Olthar on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Hakons wrote:It's not good news when a nation violates religious freedom. Are they aware of the religious significance of circumcision for Judaism?

They are aware of it's significance for religious communities. However they believe that religious tolerance should not supersede the rights of the child. Which I agree with. The law allows for boys to have circumcisions once they reach an age where they can understand what is involved.

Adult circumcision is more painful and carries a higher risk of infection. Regardless, circumcision is how Jews show their covenant with God. The Icelandic authorities might as well ban kippas while their at it.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Well, it is the body of the male infant that's being irrecoverably altered.

I'd say it should be his choice if he wants it.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Olthar wrote:"Unsustainable" is a very interesting word choice. It implies that Judiasm and Islam will completely fall apart and cease to exist if they are no longer able to mutilate infants. That seems like something of a stretch. And anyways, even if it's true, do we really want religions that require infant mutilation?

"Do we really want Jews around?"

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Hakons wrote:Adult circumcision is more painful and carries a higher risk of infection.

Well, that's the risk of unnecessary cosmetic surgery.

Regardless, circumcision is how Jews show their covenant with God.

Wouldn't it mean more for someone to choose that covenant rather than have it forced upon them?

The Icelandic authorities might as well ban kippas while their at it.

As far as I'm aware, kippahs don't mutilate infants.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Hakons wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Adult circumcision is more painful and carries a higher risk of infection. Regardless, circumcision is how Jews show their covenant with God. The Icelandic authorities might as well ban kippas while their at it.

No, this is a ban on genital mutilation that brings legislation in line with the already existent ban on female genital mutilation. Adult circumcisions can be carried out for medical reasons, and religious circumcisions can be carried out at adolescence if the boy is old enough to understand what's involved.

"Do we really want Jews around?"

I don't believe this is what Iceland's government is saying at all.

Skippityboobopistan
Attaché

Founded: Oct 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Skippityboobopistan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Maybe make an exception for religious communities like Jews and Muslims?

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Hakons wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Surely, an adult Jew who wants to show their covenant with God can choose to undergo the process? What if the infant grows up to not want to be Jewish? Why should a baby be forced to have their privates mutilated?
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Skippityboobopistan wrote:Maybe make an exception for religious communities like Jews and Muslims?

No, otherwise it defeats the point of the legislation. It's not supposed to grant exceptions for religious communities, it's supposed to ban all non-medical or non-consensual male circumcisions.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Skippityboobopistan wrote:Maybe make an exception for religious communities like Jews and Muslims?

Since they're the only ones doing it, anyways, what would be the point of the ban in the first place?

Skippityboobopistan
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Skippityboobopistan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

No, otherwise it defeats the point of the legislation. It's not supposed to grant exceptions for religious communities, it's supposed to ban all non-medical or non-consensual male circumcisions.

Fair enough.

Skippityboobopistan
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Skippityboobopistan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Olthar wrote:

Since they're the only ones doing it, anyways, what would be the point of the ban in the first place?

A decent amount of Christians get circumcised as well. I just don't think it's as important as it is in Judaism or Islam.
Last edited by Skippityboobopistan on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Eh. I’ve been circumcised, have hardly missed out on life so far (although haven had much use in that field either, so...).

Still, think that to be circumcised or not should be the choice of the individual.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Skippityboobopistan wrote:
Olthar wrote:Since they're the only ones doing it, anyways, what would be the point of the ban in the first place?

A decent amount of Christians get circumcised as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do beleive that Christians fall under the category of "religious community."

Qroma
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Qroma » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Damn, you all say mutilation as if the babies are literally getting their dicks cut off.

Skippityboobopistan
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Skippityboobopistan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Olthar wrote:
Skippityboobopistan wrote:A decent amount of Christians get circumcised as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do beleive that Christians fall under the category of "religious community."

Yes, but it's not as much as a tradition as in Judaism or Islam. With the majority of Christians, it's more of a "well I got circumcised, he should too".
Last edited by Skippityboobopistan on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Olthar wrote:
Skippityboobopistan wrote:A decent amount of Christians get circumcised as well.

In the West they tend to make up such a large portion of the population that to make an exception for them you might as well not even bother with the law.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Skippityboobopistan wrote:
Olthar wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do beleive that Christians fall under the category of "religious community."

Yes, but it's not as much as a tradition as in Judaism or Islam. With Christians, it's more of a "well I got circumcised, he should too".

That sounds exactly like how traditions work.

Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2012
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 pm

For the sake of accuracy, this would not only upset the Jews and Muslims, but also many Christians. I, coming from a long line of Southern Baptists, was also circumcised at birth, though for purely symbolic purposes, us Baptists don't believe its necessary for salvation. Nevertheless, Jews (I don't know much about Islam, so I can't speak for them) were commanded to circumcise their children by God a certain number of days after their birth. To blatantly disobey Him in such a fashion would be to spit in His face and, in the eyes of Jews at least, seriously endanger their and their children's right to go to Heaven.

Quite frankly, as a Christian and supporter of religious freedom, I think it is ridiculous that this is even on the table.
|| Please support the Great Archive of Nations by donating cards for preservation. ||

The Former Conservative Conservative Party Candidate of 2016!

Breaking News: The Conservative Conservative Party is now inactive.

"Forwards is Backwards, and Backwards is Forwards!"

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Qroma wrote:Damn, you all say mutilation as if the babies are literally getting their dicks cut off.

Because they are literally getting a part of their dick cut off so... yes.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General