NATION

PASSWORD

Flat Earth Movement Growing

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31280
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Sufokia wrote:Someone at work was telling me about how the Earth is flat, and some new documentary coming out soon will prove it. I nodded politely because I didn't want to argue, but I don't understand how people can believe this stuff.

Im sure it will be the same misunderstanding of science as the rest of them. I guess they think its cool to be anti science and anti intellectual

User avatar
The Multiversal Communist Collective
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1458
Founded: Nov 30, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Multiversal Communist Collective » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:04 pm

There are all sorts of nutty ideas around. I once met this guy online who was a geocentrist. He literally believed, like Ptolemy, that the Earth was the center of the universe — not just the solar system (assuming he accepted that idea) — but the entire universe.

Now, metaphorically, the Earth is becoming flatter as one place becomes indistinguishable from another (same stores, houses that look the same, etc.).

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31280
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:25 pm

The Multiversal Communist Collective wrote:There are all sorts of nutty ideas around. I once met this guy online who was a geocentrist. He literally believed, like Ptolemy, that the Earth was the center of the universe — not just the solar system (assuming he accepted that idea) — but the entire universe.

Now, metaphorically, the Earth is becoming flatter as one place becomes indistinguishable from another (same stores, houses that look the same, etc.).


Ive heard people say that gravity isn't real and the entire space program is a lie.

User avatar
New Emeline
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6280
Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:27 pm

tfw everyone is talking about the earth being on a turtle but nobody brings up Discworld

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31280
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:28 pm

New Emeline wrote:tfw everyone is talking about the earth being on a turtle but nobody brings up Discworld


Because Maturin didn't create a flat world.

User avatar
New Emeline
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6280
Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 pm

San Lumen wrote:
New Emeline wrote:tfw everyone is talking about the earth being on a turtle but nobody brings up Discworld


Because Maturin didn't create a flat world.

Its name is Atuin, fool!
Last edited by New Emeline on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31280
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:34 pm

New Emeline wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
Because Maturin didn't create a flat world.

Its name is Atuin, fool!


Im terribly sorry sir. Im afraid your mistaken

User avatar
Albrenia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7936
Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:55 pm

This conversation travelled in a Widdershins direction.

User avatar
New Emeline
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6280
Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Albrenia wrote:This conversation travelled in a Widdershins direction.

We better get it going back Hubwards, quick.

User avatar
S i t k a
Diplomat
 
Posts: 989
Founded: Dec 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby S i t k a » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:02 pm

I don't know what direction this thread has gone in the past month. All I know is that when I first saw it I got linked back to some older flat Earth thread from a few years ago where some guy calling himself Tom Bishop was being really annoying, and then got linked to an actual flat Earth forum, where I wandered around dazed for a while before finally closing all tabs and feeling like I had drank too much soda.

...

Or something like that.
The United Settlements of Sitka - the land of friendly vampires, camaraderie, and cloudberry pie
A small corner of the world in 1872. Set in the world of the video game 80 Days, with supernatural beings mixed in. Several factbooks need to be redone.
I'm socially awkward sometimes, and bad at keeping up with things due to life's hecticness, so I might not always be the best at roleplays etc.
The Times: Englishman Phileas Fogg departs London, having bet £20,000 that he can circumnavigate the globe in 80 days.
Local News: Karl Marx visits Sitka, is "impressed".

Ask questions about this strange place! ---- Make the Ram's Head Saloon great again!

User avatar
New Emeline
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6280
Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:02 pm

S i t k a wrote:I don't know what direction this thread has gone in the past month. All I know is that when I first saw it I got linked back to some older flat Earth thread from a few years ago where some guy calling himself Tom Bishop was being really annoying, and then got linked to an actual flat Earth forum, where I wandered around dazed for a while before finally closing all tabs and feeling like I had drank too much soda.

...

Or something like that.

Now we're just arguing whether the turtle is Atuin or Maturin.

User avatar
Nantoraka
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 413
Founded: Oct 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nantoraka » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:04 pm

Of course, stars are really the mind control probes that the Illuminati use to control every living thing
*puts on tinfoil hat*

Really though, the fact that this is actually growing in size is disappointing.
Androids are better than iPhones.
Factbooks are designed for dark theme, maniacs use light theme
I'm politically chaotic evil
Anything that causes all around human misery or destroys the planet gets a thumbs up in my book
5th place in N-day is good enough for me

User avatar
S i t k a
Diplomat
 
Posts: 989
Founded: Dec 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby S i t k a » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:04 pm

New Emeline wrote:
S i t k a wrote:I don't know what direction this thread has gone in the past month. All I know is that when I first saw it I got linked back to some older flat Earth thread from a few years ago where some guy calling himself Tom Bishop was being really annoying, and then got linked to an actual flat Earth forum, where I wandered around dazed for a while before finally closing all tabs and feeling like I had drank too much soda.

...

Or something like that.

Now we're just arguing whether the turtle is Atuin or Maturin.

I do know it's not Mr. Turtle.

Mr. Turtle was his father.

...

I just made a really random reference to Finding Nemo. That's probably a sign that this thread is off track, if there was ever a track to begin with.
Last edited by S i t k a on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The United Settlements of Sitka - the land of friendly vampires, camaraderie, and cloudberry pie
A small corner of the world in 1872. Set in the world of the video game 80 Days, with supernatural beings mixed in. Several factbooks need to be redone.
I'm socially awkward sometimes, and bad at keeping up with things due to life's hecticness, so I might not always be the best at roleplays etc.
The Times: Englishman Phileas Fogg departs London, having bet £20,000 that he can circumnavigate the globe in 80 days.
Local News: Karl Marx visits Sitka, is "impressed".

Ask questions about this strange place! ---- Make the Ram's Head Saloon great again!

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31280
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 pm

S i t k a wrote:
New Emeline wrote:Now we're just arguing whether the turtle is Atuin or Maturin.

I do know it's not Mr. Turtle.

Mr. Turtle was his father.

...

I just made a really random reference to Finding Nemo. That's probably a sign that this thread is off track, if there was ever a track to begin with.

Maturin is an ancient being so he'd like to have a word with you.

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31280
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:40 pm

S i t k a wrote:I don't know what direction this thread has gone in the past month. All I know is that when I first saw it I got linked back to some older flat Earth thread from a few years ago where some guy calling himself Tom Bishop was being really annoying, and then got linked to an actual flat Earth forum, where I wandered around dazed for a while before finally closing all tabs and feeling like I had drank too much soda.

...

Or something like that.

Its become a parody thread at this point. A place for people to be silly hence the Maturin jokes and things like it.

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31280
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:46 pm

Maineiacs wrote:
San Lumen wrote:So it seems the notion of a flat Earth has seen a comeback and is a growing movement in the United States and other countries.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-col ... story.html

It boggles the mind how one can be so ignorant and uniformed to believe the Earth is flat. It was known even during the time of Ancient Greece Ptolemy, Aristotle and Pythagoras used calculations of the earth's shadow during lunar eclipses to conclude the Earth was round. Another Greek mathematician Eratosthenes realized the earth was round because during the solstice in Alexandria, Eqypt there was a shadow cast by a stick in the ground but in the city of Syene (now Aswan) which was further south as there was no shadow as the sun was at a different angle. Therefore he concluded the Earth was round. This would not be the case if the Earth was flat.

But some of these people go even further they not only believe the Earth is flat, they don't think satellites or the International Space Station exists, the Apollo landings never happened, the Earth is the center of the universe, and gravity isn't real.

The fact that this movement is growing and people have such ignorance of science and facts is frightening. I would suggest these people visit a museum but they'd probably say its all fake anyway designed to continue deceiving people.

What's your thoughts NSG? Why has this movement been growing and how could someone honestly believe the Earth is flat when its been known for over 2,000 years that its not?



They think gravity isn't real? How do they explain what we call gravity, then?

an object being denser than air.

User avatar
UED
Senator
 
Posts: 4889
Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby UED » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:20 am

Nantoraka wrote:Of course, stars are really the mind control probes that the Illuminati use to control every living thing
*puts on tinfoil hat*

Really though, the fact that this is actually growing in size is disappointing.


Looool.
The Illuminati obviously want us to believe the Earth is around for their own sick, twisted reasons.
Political and religious views don't define whether you are a good or bad person, unless you want to actively hurt everyone who doesn't believe what you say.

User avatar
The Democracy of Red Star
Secretary
 
Posts: 35
Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Democracy of Red Star » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 pm

But what if the earth is a Cube?

User avatar
Samudera Darussalam
Minister
 
Posts: 2205
Founded: Aug 05, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Well yeah, this thing also severely concerns me. My highschool friend used to show me this youtube video about how the earth being flat, Antarctica is a giant ice wall guarded by American armies.....stuffs like that. I know that many people in (probably many) parts of the world distrust the Americans, but this is extreme. I really want to tell him, 'then how the hell do you even passed your science test?'
.....except, if my science teachers have similar views...

Seriousness aside, the idea that the earth is a pentagram would be really cool. Or something carried by a turtle. That also would be cute.
Embassy Link - This is closed for a while.

Indonesian Muslim

Chrinthanium wrote:Deep fried NSG gives me indigestion.

Neanderthaland wrote:
Kowani wrote:Your defense is found insufficient, and thus, are sentenced to a year’s hard labor, mining crystals for the communist wizards.

In Gulazkaban

User avatar
Kombinita Socialisma Demokratio
Diplomat
 
Posts: 674
Founded: Apr 14, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kombinita Socialisma Demokratio » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:58 pm

I believe the mainstream view of the world being spherical, but admit that I have done no experiment personally to prove so, because it is unnecessary when others have done so (although that too has no proof). If everyone went around believing nothing until they proved it themself (except conspiracy theories, no proof required for those), then everyone would be insane basically. Time zones are evidence of not a flat earth with a stationary sun, and if there is a rich flat earther somewhere, they could go on a cruise and measure the speed and time to go from the Falkland Islands to South Africa; their most common theory which claims that the Azimuthal equidistant projection is the true shape of the earth would make the time be increased, but they would just say that they were drugged, or the boat went faster than all evidence said it went, or aliens/Bermuda triangle teleported them. They could travel to Brazil and take a road trip and measure the distance via the car, but would say that it was designed to change the amounts to fit the government's idea. Even if there were little evidence for a spherical earth other than television, telephone, internet, gps, and weather prediction (satellites), there would be plenty of evidence. And one of the harder ones for the flat earthers to answer: WHY would they fake a flat earth to be round, what benefit is it? Why has no government leaked it (okay, go ahead and claim they have but the ones where we are blocked it...), not even North Korea, which leaked a crewed expedition to the Sun :roll: ? Why did they not fake the moon landings more? Why did they not censor all of your youtube videos and comments? Why did they not fake a mission to Mars?
❤Pro: Immigration, gun control, demilitarization, internationalism, socialism, direct democracy, disestablishmentarianism, feminism, open boarders, unity, peace, pacifism, vegetarianism, and lbgt+
Anti: Unfair wages/capitalism, war, military, violence, hate, ignorance, weapons, racism, imperialism, patriotism, nationalism, fascism, nativism, violent protest, ANTIFA, USA, and sexism
Collectivism score: 100
Authoritarianism score: 50
Internationalism score: 33
Tribalism score: -100
Liberalism score: 83
I apologize for all the hate and violence that has been caused and will be caused by humanity.
More detailed flag and Seal
[☮] and [_✯_] ☭
Kune ni sukcesos egale
Together we prosper equally

Вместе мы процветать в равной степени

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atholl, EnglishAmerica, Forumland, Google Adsense [Bot], Kowani, Kubra, MSN [Bot], Pasong Tirad, Shrillland, Stagnant Axon Terminal, Telconi

Advertisement

Remove ads