NATION

PASSWORD

Societal collapse of Oklahoma!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Saiwania
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13095
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Societal collapse of Oklahoma!

Postby Saiwania » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:08 pm

https://boingboing.net/2018/02/07/this-is-not-ok.html
https://www.economist.com/news/united-s ... ats-matter

One score and six years ago, Oklahoma passed this stupid law requiring a 75%+ majority in their state assembly to raise taxes, effectively making any tax cut that passes- permanent. The legislature of that state had an addiction for cutting taxes to give out corporate welfare to fossil fuel interests and to dabble in some "trickle down" supply side nonsense just as Kansas has done, and predictably- Oklahoma's government is now all out of money.

Oklahoma's K-12 teachers haven't received a pay raise in over a decade and is now 3rd worst in compensation for the entire US. That state can now only afford to pay said teachers by switching to a 4 day school week in 90+ districts, so teachers can work at Walmart to be able to pay rent.

Most teachers understandably, aren't finding these conditions to be acceptable- and are now fleeing the state in droves for better opportunities in neighboring or "better off" states such as Texas or Arkansas. The health insurance situation for Oklahoma teachers leaves much to be desired as well, because many of the plans under their "private" system are more expensive than what teachers are getting paid in salary.

It gets worse, Oklahoma's highway patrol isn't filling their gas tanks to full capacity to "help their state's cash flow." Drunk drivers are being ignored or let go because there isn't anyone to process their tickets anymore, and the state's prison system is nearing collapse. Many inmates will have to be released prematurely, there just aren't any funds left to keep most of them imprisoned.

With essential government services declining to such a steep extent, private businesses are leaving Oklahoma as well. The poorer Oklahoma becomes and the smaller that state's economy gets, the less appeal there is to "set up shop" there or to stick around. It is quite a pitiful state of affairs that is currently unfolding. It looks as if the state is dying just as Kansas was under Sam Brownback's stewardship.

What are your thoughts on this tragic situation? What in your opinion, is the best solution to fixing Oklahoma's problems to effectively turn that state around? Are the results of the policies followed in Oklahoma, further evidence of a massive, catastrophic, colossal failure of the Republican party's economic platform?

User avatar
Hayo
Envoy
 
Posts: 223
Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Hayo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:20 pm

They've got bad roads and unsafe drinking water too.

The solution seems pretty simple. They don't have enough revenue to pay for basic services, so they should raise taxes.
Last edited by Hayo on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Senkaku
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13960
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Senkaku » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:23 pm

So convince a 75%+ majority of the legislature to raise taxes. Shouldn't be so hard if shit's in such bad shape.
Last edited by Senkaku on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagay

Athrax wrote:
Gauthier wrote:How many times a month did Kennedy visit Dallas?


Only once. He got a mindblowing reception though

Des-Bal wrote:I think they make dogs that can drive so you have a designated driver you can also play fetch with. I have no idea how that would work but I'm going to be furious until it happens.

Risottia wrote:Meatlessly, the Vegans creep through the night, kidnapping baby carrots and sacrificing them to the amoeboid gods of their original star system.

The Nuclear Fist wrote:Just try and find a seat without getting your bollocks stuck in a light socket.

Lunas Legion wrote:That's NS for you. It has 2 speeds; a rape train with no brakes or brakes with no train.

Diopolis wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Sanders/Trump 2016

Mexico will pay for our universal healthcare!

User avatar
Des-Bal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 25162
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 pm

Their terrible decision has ultimately just raised the bar for how much everything needs to suck before they raise taxes.
Welcome to the internet, our men are men, our women are men, our children are FBI agents.

Founding Member The Sovereign League

Red Eclipse Executive Slave Traders: Anonymity Guarantee

User avatar
Petrasylvania
Minister
 
Posts: 3060
Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Petrasylvania » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 pm

How about if we merge Oklahoma and Kansas into a single country called Ancappistan?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

User avatar
Shaggtopia
Envoy
 
Posts: 262
Founded: Dec 22, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Shaggtopia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:00 am

Woah State Seppuku. They're just ahead of the curve on this one I think though, Ok is not okay. :o
From the Desk of The Speaker
Loyal Face of The Grand Nobody
John LeGrand III
Shaggtopia, Apathy

User avatar
Dahon the Alternative
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 13
Founded: Feb 08, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dahon the Alternative » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:48 am

Saiwania wrote:https://boingboing.net/2018/02/07/this-is-not-ok.html
https://www.economist.com/news/united-s ... ats-matter

One score and six years ago, Oklahoma passed this stupid law requiring a 75%+ majority in their state assembly to raise taxes, effectively making any tax cut that passes- permanent. The legislature of that state had an addiction for cutting taxes to give out corporate welfare to fossil fuel interests and to dabble in some "trickle down" supply side nonsense just as Kansas has done, and predictably- Oklahoma's government is now all out of money.

Oklahoma's K-12 teachers haven't received a pay raise in over a decade and is now 3rd worst in compensation for the entire US. That state can now only afford to pay said teachers by switching to a 4 day school week in 90+ districts, so teachers can work at Walmart to be able to pay rent.

Most teachers understandably, aren't finding these conditions to be acceptable- and are now fleeing the state in droves for better opportunities in neighboring or "better off" states such as Texas or Arkansas. The health insurance situation for Oklahoma teachers leaves much to be desired as well, because many of the plans under their "private" system are more expensive than what teachers are getting paid in salary.

It gets worse, Oklahoma's highway patrol isn't filling their gas tanks to full capacity to "help their state's cash flow." Drunk drivers are being ignored or let go because there isn't anyone to process their tickets anymore, and the state's prison system is nearing collapse. Many inmates will have to be released prematurely, there just aren't any funds left to keep most of them imprisoned.

With essential government services declining to such a steep extent, private businesses are leaving Oklahoma as well. The poorer Oklahoma becomes and the smaller that state's economy gets, the less appeal there is to "set up shop" there or to stick around. It is quite a pitiful state of affairs that is currently unfolding. It looks as if the state is dying just as Kansas was under Sam Brownback's stewardship.

What are your thoughts on this tragic situation? What in your opinion, is the best solution to fixing Oklahoma's problems to effectively turn that state around? Are the results of the policies followed in Oklahoma, further evidence of a massive, catastrophic, colossal failure of the Republican party's economic platform?


What a nice, red-white-and-blueprint for the United States of America in the coming decade. Where is Leonardo? He needs to get here quick -- this should be too much stimulation even for him.
Last edited by Dahon the Alternative on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Dahon is NOT the Queendom of Dahon.
This is an alternate-historical FanT nation, set on a timeline where the Japonic incursions of the sixth century AD failed to displace the native powers at their weakest and so bring peace, succeeding only in occupying the mostly unwanted eastern third of the main island. As of 2018, no less than 5 roughly equally powerful nations vie for supremacy over the entire archipelago.

User avatar
Dahon
Senator
 
Posts: 3687
Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dahon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:02 am

Why can't Oklahomans pull themselves up by their bootstraps? They wanted this shit, right? Low taxes, low wages, low everything? Government practically in semipermanent idle (with the inevitable destruction of the evil Deep OK State incoming), Big Business untrammeled as the Lord God intended, organized labor in a collective commie coma -- the people of Oklahoma are finally free! Free to be poor! Free to be uneducated! Free to get sicker! Free to dawdle around doing a lotta nothing! Hurray for freedom! Callooh, callay!

User avatar
Senkaku
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13960
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Senkaku » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:46 am

Dahon wrote:Why can't Oklahomans pull themselves up by their bootstraps? They wanted this shit, right? Low taxes, low wages, low everything? Government practically in semipermanent idle (with the inevitable destruction of the evil Deep OK State incoming), Big Business untrammeled as the Lord God intended, organized labor in a collective commie coma -- the people of Oklahoma are finally free! Free to be poor! Free to be uneducated! Free to get sicker! Free to dawdle around doing a lotta nothing! Hurray for freedom! Callooh, callay!

As nice as it feels to indulge in this occasionally, don't come crying later about how it's so silly that those hicks just blindly hate all liberals even though we know what's good for them when you're out here talking smack like this. :p
Instagay

Athrax wrote:
Gauthier wrote:How many times a month did Kennedy visit Dallas?


Only once. He got a mindblowing reception though

Des-Bal wrote:I think they make dogs that can drive so you have a designated driver you can also play fetch with. I have no idea how that would work but I'm going to be furious until it happens.

Risottia wrote:Meatlessly, the Vegans creep through the night, kidnapping baby carrots and sacrificing them to the amoeboid gods of their original star system.

The Nuclear Fist wrote:Just try and find a seat without getting your bollocks stuck in a light socket.

Lunas Legion wrote:That's NS for you. It has 2 speeds; a rape train with no brakes or brakes with no train.

Diopolis wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Sanders/Trump 2016

Mexico will pay for our universal healthcare!

User avatar
Socialist Federal Slavia
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 10
Founded: Dec 03, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Socialist Federal Slavia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:52 am

Dahon wrote:Why can't Oklahomans pull themselves up by their bootstraps? They wanted this shit, right? Low taxes, low wages, low everything? Government practically in semipermanent idle (with the inevitable destruction of the evil Deep OK State incoming), Big Business untrammeled as the Lord God intended, organized labor in a collective commie coma -- the people of Oklahoma are finally free! Free to be poor! Free to be uneducated! Free to get sicker! Free to dawdle around doing a lotta nothing! Hurray for freedom! Callooh, callay!

I`m gonna use the collective commie coma line to describe unions in my IRL country from now on.

User avatar
Socialist Federal Slavia
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 10
Founded: Dec 03, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Socialist Federal Slavia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:54 am

Also, can`t wait for some ancaps to illuminate us on how this is all the government`s fault for existing, somehow.
Either that or some Neo-Nazis will blame the Dornish,Jews lol!

User avatar
Dahon
Senator
 
Posts: 3687
Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dahon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 am

Senkaku wrote:
Dahon wrote:Why can't Oklahomans pull themselves up by their bootstraps? They wanted this shit, right? Low taxes, low wages, low everything? Government practically in semipermanent idle (with the inevitable destruction of the evil Deep OK State incoming), Big Business untrammeled as the Lord God intended, organized labor in a collective commie coma -- the people of Oklahoma are finally free! Free to be poor! Free to be uneducated! Free to get sicker! Free to dawdle around doing a lotta nothing! Hurray for freedom! Callooh, callay!

As nice as it feels to indulge in this occasionally, don't come crying later about how it's so silly that those hicks just blindly hate all liberals even though we know what's good for them when you're out here talking smack like this. :p


I'm sorry, I'm all out of patience and understanding and filled to the brim with "I told you so" right now -- please try again in 6 hours.

User avatar
Bombadil
Senator
 
Posts: 4998
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:35 am

They're clearly not sending God enough money.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 57827
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Olthar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:44 am

Clearly, the fault is that taxes are too high and are putting a stranglehold on private business. Lowering taxes will fix everything.

Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.
Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1104
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:00 am

Or you can evacuate everyone from Oklahoma, and scatter them throughout the country.
Myrensis wrote:The greatest trick the Republicans ever pulled was convincing rural Americans that the free market could solve all their problems, when most of rural America might as well be the far side of the moon for all the value it has to said market.

User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1104
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 am

Senkaku wrote:
Dahon wrote:Why can't Oklahomans pull themselves up by their bootstraps? They wanted this shit, right? Low taxes, low wages, low everything? Government practically in semipermanent idle (with the inevitable destruction of the evil Deep OK State incoming), Big Business untrammeled as the Lord God intended, organized labor in a collective commie coma -- the people of Oklahoma are finally free! Free to be poor! Free to be uneducated! Free to get sicker! Free to dawdle around doing a lotta nothing! Hurray for freedom! Callooh, callay!

As nice as it feels to indulge in this occasionally, don't come crying later about how it's so silly that those hicks just blindly hate all liberals even though we know what's good for them when you're out here talking smack like this. :p

You have cause and effect backwards. They accused us of insulting them long before we actually did so. We've got nothing left to lose by doing so.
Myrensis wrote:The greatest trick the Republicans ever pulled was convincing rural Americans that the free market could solve all their problems, when most of rural America might as well be the far side of the moon for all the value it has to said market.

User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1104
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 am

Senkaku wrote:So convince a 75%+ majority of the legislature to raise taxes. Shouldn't be so hard if shit's in such bad shape.

You'll rarely get 75% of people agreeing on anything, much less 75% of those elected by a redneck state on the need for higher taxes.
Myrensis wrote:The greatest trick the Republicans ever pulled was convincing rural Americans that the free market could solve all their problems, when most of rural America might as well be the far side of the moon for all the value it has to said market.

User avatar
Phoenicaea
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 384
Founded: May 24, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phoenicaea » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:08 am

As observateur, it seems also to me your straight way to do so, it is to pass higher taxes with 3/4 of representatives. convince the legislature.
Last edited by Phoenicaea on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30277
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 am

Phoenicaea wrote:As observateur, it seems also to me your straight way to do so, it is to pass higher taxes with 3/4 of representatives. convince the legislature.


LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:
Senkaku wrote:So convince a 75%+ majority of the legislature to raise taxes. Shouldn't be so hard if shit's in such bad shape.

You'll rarely get 75% of people agreeing on anything, much less 75% of those elected by a redneck state on the need for higher taxes.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
Dahon
Senator
 
Posts: 3687
Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dahon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 am

They'll just blame themselves for not wearing bootstraps rather than maybe hike up their taxes so state government services keep on keeping on. For people born into thinking taxes are evil shit because the government will just waste it for shit they dislike as well as others they like, no punishment is enough, none will stun them into "OK, when the government is affected, I'm affected! but of course it should, I am the government!"

User avatar
Phoenicaea
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 384
Founded: May 24, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phoenicaea » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:00 am

So, cities and provinces, local authorities to hire taxes to manage public services they agree about, at he State's place? this may be possible in United States, I suppose

User avatar
Petrasylvania
Minister
 
Posts: 3060
Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Petrasylvania » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:46 am

So far, not a peep from self-professed libertarians.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

User avatar
Sovaal
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8543
Founded: Mar 17, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sovaal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:55 am

Turns out you need money. But nice circle jerk here too.
Freedom of Speech, Freedom of religion, Gun rights, LGBT rights, Equal Rights, Environmentalism, Democracy, Evolution, nuclear power
Gun control, Monarchy, Authoritarianism and Totalitarianism in general, NSA, Fundies, Tankies and Nazis (they're both equally bad), Repubs and Dems, the Establishment, Racists, The KKK (May they all burn in hell)


Don't tread on me libertarian
Unapologetic Jon Snow supporter.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - -George Orwell

User avatar
Len Hyet
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8967
Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 am

Petrasylvania wrote:So far, not a peep from self-professed libertarians.

Oklahoma: Spends way more than it takes in, eventually collapses due to insufficient income, a cornerstone of Libertarian policy holding that states need to slash spending in conjunction with slashing taxes

You: Lolbertarians amirite

???
=][= Lord Inquisitor, Ordo Pontem Habitant, Custodes in Flamma, Diripientes Paleis Homines, Qui Arguere Ad Hominem, Defensores Logicae

User avatar
Sovaal
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8543
Founded: Mar 17, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sovaal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:29 am

Len Hyet wrote:
Petrasylvania wrote:So far, not a peep from self-professed libertarians.

Oklahoma: Spends way more than it takes in, eventually collapses due to insufficient income, a cornerstone of Libertarian policy holding that states need to slash spending in conjunction with slashing taxes

You: Lolbertarians amirite

???

But how else are we supposed to get to call people idiots?/s
Freedom of Speech, Freedom of religion, Gun rights, LGBT rights, Equal Rights, Environmentalism, Democracy, Evolution, nuclear power
Gun control, Monarchy, Authoritarianism and Totalitarianism in general, NSA, Fundies, Tankies and Nazis (they're both equally bad), Repubs and Dems, the Establishment, Racists, The KKK (May they all burn in hell)


Don't tread on me libertarian
Unapologetic Jon Snow supporter.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - -George Orwell

Next

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dakoaland, Diegereemlastevoloni, Ethel mermania, Gallesterre, Google [Bot], Iaponica Scotia, Infected Mushroom, Jebslund, Lost Memories, Majestic-12 [Bot], Purpelia, Serconas, Socialist Czechia, The Parkus Empire, Uiiop

Remove ads