NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Hole In The Wall

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Hole In The Wall

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:31 am

[desc] A close shave occurred yesterday during a severe downpour, where one of @@NAME@@'s reclaimed coastal areas was nearly flooded due to a small dike section giving way. Thankfully, a passing vessel happened to be packed to the gills with sandbags, and the gracious captain of the ship unloaded the cargo, plugging the dike and saving the day. Despite the happy resolution, concerns surrounding the dikes still remain.

[validity] Only valid for nations that chose 342.5

[option] "I'm happy to have been able to help," chats Han Evergreen, the ship captain, handing you a business card. "I was on my way to deliver my regular shipment of sand to Macronesia when I noticed that your dike was springing a leak, so I decided to lend a hand. Now, I think that this incident shows that more thorough maintenance of your dikes is necessary. You should probably slow down your expansion into low-lands and coastal areas, and focus more on developing your existing land. It's better to be safe than sorry, after all."
[effect] rapid-response squads armed with sandbags are patrolling every metre of the country's dikes

[option] "We should just halt land reclamation entirely," insists the Environment Minister, who coincidentally owns many beachfront properties. "Not only does it cause irreversible damage to local marine wildlife, killing off coral reefs and polluting the sea, but it's also incredibly expensive, cutting into our national budget. We must evacuate our citizens from low-lying areas to prevent further incidents. We don't want to end up underwater like Straaltjedam, the former capital of The Laaglands, now do we?"
[effect] property prices are skyrocketing due to a drought of new land

[option] "What's more important, some stupid plants or the survival of our nation?" rebukes the Head of Strategic Thinking, pointing angrily at a map of @@REGION@@. "If we don't expand first, then someone else will, and they'll probably take control of the waters surrounding their stolen territory, cutting off our supply lines. We must seize as many disputed islands and islets as possible so that we may also lay claim to the bountiful resources in their vicinity. Let's do it before we're left with nothing!"
[effect] official maps have to be revised on a weekly basis as @@NAME@@ embarks on an aggressive expansionist policy
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:31 am

Wondering of the description is a bit long. I do like the narrative
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:45 am

Naeh, sometimes long issue descriptions are fine. I personally like this one, and we've had far longer. :P
447 454 456 458 464 466 765 766 773 883 890 just to name a few
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:50 am

Is Gallopavia mentioned in existing issues? I can't seem to remember it. If it is not, perhaps you could replace with it a country based on Atlantis.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 am

Naeh, Gallopavia does in fact exist, now. See issue 881
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Jutsa wrote:Naeh, Gallopavia does in fact exist, now. See issue 881

Oops, didn't see that one. :oops:
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Jutsa wrote:Naeh, Gallopavia does in fact exist, now. See issue 881

Oops, didn't see that one. :oops:

Yeah, they're essentially the Netherlands, so a topic about land reclamation would suit them very much.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 pm

Singapore no2 wrote:Yeah, they're essentially the Netherlands, so a topic about land reclamation would suit them very much.
No. Gallopavia is Turkey, where tulips were originally from.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:48 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:Yeah, they're essentially the Netherlands, so a topic about land reclamation would suit them very much.
No. Gallopavia is Turkey, where tulips were originally from.

Well, the Tulip Mania Issue is sort of referencing this.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:59 am

Yes, its a bad pun,

Turkey = Meleagris gallopavo
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:00 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Yes, its a bad pun,

Turkey = Meleagris gallopavo

Hmm... so should I name it after another nation that really loves reclamation... one that would be geographically surrounded by Macronesia...
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:02 am

I feel kind of soiled by explaining FuF's joke. Not because its a bad joke, but because we managed to go through the whole drafting and editing process without discussing the joke. It was just assumed that it was got. :)

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:04 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I feel kind of soiled by explaining FuF's joke. Not because its a bad joke, but because we managed to go through the whole drafting and editing process without discussing the joke. It was just assumed that it was got. :)

Well... the majority of the player base is in the West, so I guess that makes sense.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:06 am

As a country name for your sinking city, maybe Jorgia. Because Jorgia = Georgia, and Atlanta in Georgia?

Too many links? Maybe just Georgia? Not as if there isn't more than one of those in the real world, and we have a precedent for a real place name in NS being a different place from Tasmania.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:As a country name for your sinking city, maybe Jorgia. Because Jorgia = Georgia, and Atlanta in Georgia?

Too many links? Maybe just Georgia? Not as if there isn't more than one of those in the real world, and we have a precedent for a real place name in NS being a different place from Tasmania.

Eh... How about Straaltjedam (Amsterdam) for the capital and The Laaglands (The Netherlands) for the nation?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:24 am

Gotta say, Laaglands does look like a pretty neat NS name. I suppose they could work. :)

Course, you could also make Gallopavia a cross of Turkey and the Netherlands,
where you have an increasingly authoritarian desert society that simultaneously
is extremely inclusive and obsessed with boats, flowers, and say "ja". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:39 am

While I agree that nations shouldn't be direct copies of real world nations, treating Gallopavia as somewhere Netherlands like makes it look as if previous allusions are being missed, rather than making for more nuanced worldbuilding.

I like the idea of Straaltjedam in The Laaglands just fine.

It'd also set up an amusing future reference where the Skandilundians and Laaglanders are pointing out how distinct their two cultures are, while being humorously similar.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Singapore no2 wrote:The Laaglands
In actual Dutch the correct form would be "Laaglanden" rather than "Laaglands", and a close variant ("Lage Landen") is actually used in real life to refer to the Netherlands-Belgium-Luxemburg region.

As a side note, the Netherlands aren't usually pluralized in their native language. The official long name of the country is still "Koninkrijk der Nederlanden" ("Kingdom of the Netherlands"), but in everyday casual speech, it's just called "Nederland" ("Netherland").

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:42 am

Is the boat part necassery to the story? I feel it adds too much clutter
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:11 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Is the boat part necassery to the story? I feel it adds too much clutter

It helps to give the draft a narrative.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:09 am

I agree, its a good device.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 am

What else must I add?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:30 pm

If there are no more suggestions, then I shall submit this.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:40 am

Submitted.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 pm

Good luck
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?