NATION

PASSWORD

Should Felons be Allowed to Vote? Florida to Have Referendum

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14925
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Should Felons be Allowed to Vote? Florida to Have Referendum

Postby San Lumen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:24 am

This November in Florida the voting rights of 1.5 million people could be restored as their will be vote on a constitutional amendment to restore voting rights to felons. It needs 60 percent of the vote to pass. The amendment will not give those currently serving the right to vote, those on parole or probation or those guilty of crimes such as murder or sexual offenses.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fl ... 07ab01?r1h
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/1 ... rom-voting

Florida is not the only state that disenfranchises felons. It occurs in many places and many analysts have said its a form of Jim Crow as is disproportionately affects non whites. I fully support this amendment and hope it passes. One should not be permanently barred from voting just because they've committed a crime. If you've served your time you should be able to vote. It makes no logical sense to bar someone from voted just because they committed a crime.

What's your thoughts NSG?
Last edited by San Lumen on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Topoliani
Diplomat
 
Posts: 790
Founded: Aug 19, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Topoliani » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 am

Nobody should have their voting rights restricted (except for anyone under 18) tbh.
We don't use NSstats, those are for normies
If you go to war with us and you hear this, be afraid... be very afraid
A 128-ish civilization, according to this index.
Topoliani Times or some crap: Topoliani has Alcohol again, riots and looting have ceased, peace restored! Saladin comes back from the dead, tries to kill Dandi for wearing Templar armor. Zombie-Saladin killed by pike to the head.

IC Year: 1220 AD

User avatar
Democratic Exodian Territories
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1708
Founded: Aug 29, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Democratic Exodian Territories » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:28 am

Man, even as a Floridian myself, I don’t know how I didn’t know about this development.

All in all, I feel it has nothing to do with race, but I’m in full support of it- a vote won’t really harm anyone.
A small, PMT island-archipelago nation with right-centrist/neoconservative views and
an economy heavily based on dank Memes, aquaculture, and arms manufacturing.
(we kno de wei)
_[ ]_
(-_Q)
Only NS official Rank, Government, Economy stats used
Factbooks unreliable, forum posts reliable
”MT-PMT military tech isn’t a viable response to FT mil-tech”:
https://youtu.be/mUgI5LfCEME
RBC News Channel, brought to you by Sapphire Systems Ltd:
BREAKING: ATKEMRIAN PRESIDENT LUCKY WELLS WINS ANGEL’S ALLIANCE ELECTION BY LANDSLIDE... Braniastine terrorist group surrenders to Kekistani forces... Exodian companies see healthy increase in international profits...

User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14925
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby San Lumen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:28 am

Topoliani wrote:Nobody should have their voting rights restricted (except for anyone under 18) tbh.

I agree completely. If you are 18 and over you should be allowed to vote.

User avatar
Etats confederes d Amerique
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 8
Founded: Dec 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Etats confederes d Amerique » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:29 am

San Lumen wrote:This November in Florida the voting rights of 1.5 million people could be restored as their will be vote on a constitutional amendment to restore voting rights to felons. It needs 60 percent of the vote to pass. The amendment will not give those currently serving the right to vote, those on parole or probation or those guilty of crimes such as murder or sexual offenses.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fl ... 07ab01?r1h
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/1 ... rom-voting

Florida is not the only state that disenfranchises felons. It occurs in many places and many analysts have said its a form of Jim Crow as is disproportionately affects non whites. I fully support this amendment and hope it passes. One should not be permanently barred from voting just because they've committed a crime. If you've served your time you should be able to vote. It makes no logical sense to bar someone from voted just because they committed a crime.

What's your thoughts NSG?

Well tough cheese on them they should have looked at the consequences of the crime before they did it and they should take it like an adult and just deal with it I say this should be taken to the SCOTUS and have it overturned

User avatar
Greater vakolicci haven
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7214
Founded: May 09, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:30 am

Doesn't go far enough, in my opinion. Prisons should have polling booths, as far as I'm concerned.
Greater Vakolicci Haven:
Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Delegate to AIR:Enadia

Citizen:
Auroara | The kingdom of great Britain | Europeia

User avatar
Shaggtopia
Envoy
 
Posts: 283
Founded: Dec 22, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Shaggtopia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:32 am

Neat, it seems reasonable at least to stop punishing an individual after they've cleared the bureaucracy of reform as any nation with a large pool of disenfranchised subjects invites an increase to direct action politics.
From the Desk of The Speaker
Loyal Face of The Grand Nobody
John LeGrand III
Shaggtopia, Apathy

User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14925
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby San Lumen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 am

Etats confederes d Amerique wrote:
San Lumen wrote:This November in Florida the voting rights of 1.5 million people could be restored as their will be vote on a constitutional amendment to restore voting rights to felons. It needs 60 percent of the vote to pass. The amendment will not give those currently serving the right to vote, those on parole or probation or those guilty of crimes such as murder or sexual offenses.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fl ... 07ab01?r1h
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/1 ... rom-voting

Florida is not the only state that disenfranchises felons. It occurs in many places and many analysts have said its a form of Jim Crow as is disproportionately affects non whites. I fully support this amendment and hope it passes. One should not be permanently barred from voting just because they've committed a crime. If you've served your time you should be able to vote. It makes no logical sense to bar someone from voted just because they committed a crime.

What's your thoughts NSG?

Well tough cheese on them they should have looked at the consequences of the crime before they did it and they should take it like an adult and just deal with it I say this should be taken to the SCOTUS and have it overturned

It hasn't even been voted on yet. Why should someone whose served their time be permanently barred from voting?
Last edited by San Lumen on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39369
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Doesn't go far enough, in my opinion. Prisons should have polling booths, as far as I'm concerned.

Ya no.
Male, centrist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, loves dogs particularly German Shepherds, give me any good Irish or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Arlenton
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7450
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 am

Nah. Up to Florida though.

User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14925
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby San Lumen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Doesn't go far enough, in my opinion. Prisons should have polling booths, as far as I'm concerned.

No I dont agree with that.

User avatar
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1779
Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:34 am

No adult, unless they have a registered mental incapacity, should be denied the right to vote

User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14925
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby San Lumen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:34 am

Arlenton wrote:Nah. Up to Florida though.

why not?

User avatar
Skyhooked
Minister
 
Posts: 3086
Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Skyhooked » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 am

If that makes people feel better, why not? Like votes decide anything...
Last edited by Skyhooked on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats can be used too.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=300

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches, and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: All kinds of meat from "Slice n' dice" butcher shops network 33% discount.

We are NOT ancap. We are anarcho-mutualsit.

Refreshing News: Moonsugar plant, we brought from colony Tamriel, was successfully cultivated in Skyhooked. Expect to see awesome skooma in evey bar! Yeah, we cultivated nirnroot too, but it's a boring plant./ Right wing of the capitol suddenly became infested with roaches and mice. Oh deer. Pest exterminators dispatched.

User avatar
Greater Kossackia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 62
Founded: Nov 12, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Greater Kossackia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 am

Etats confederes d Amerique wrote:
San Lumen wrote:This November in Florida the voting rights of 1.5 million people could be restored as their will be vote on a constitutional amendment to restore voting rights to felons. It needs 60 percent of the vote to pass. The amendment will not give those currently serving the right to vote, those on parole or probation or those guilty of crimes such as murder or sexual offenses.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fl ... 07ab01?r1h
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/1 ... rom-voting

Florida is not the only state that disenfranchises felons. It occurs in many places and many analysts have said its a form of Jim Crow as is disproportionately affects non whites. I fully support this amendment and hope it passes. One should not be permanently barred from voting just because they've committed a crime. If you've served your time you should be able to vote. It makes no logical sense to bar someone from voted just because they committed a crime.

What's your thoughts NSG?

Well tough cheese on them they should have looked at the consequences of the crime before they did it and they should take it like an adult and just deal with it I say this should be taken to the SCOTUS and have it overturned

On what basis would SCOTUS overturn this? Further, what is the problem of restoring voting rights to people who have paid their debt to society according to the law? There's already an avenue to do so, though it is so clogged and overburdened that more people join the queue than get an answer each year (and more people in it die than get an answer each year).

User avatar
EER OT
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 10
Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby EER OT » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:36 am

San Lumen wrote:
Etats confederes d Amerique wrote:Well tough cheese on them they should have looked at the consequences of the crime before they did it and they should take it like an adult and just deal with it I say this should be taken to the SCOTUS and have it overturned

It hasn't even been voted on yet. Why should someone whose served their time be permanently barred from voting?
voting is a privilege not a right when you commit a crime and are labeled as a felon you lose rights that you once had. I agree with Etats confederes d Amerique

User avatar
Carmonia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 190
Founded: Oct 20, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Carmonia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:36 am

Of course! What’s the point of taking their right in the first place?

User avatar
Arlenton
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7450
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:36 am

San Lumen wrote:
Arlenton wrote:Nah. Up to Florida though.

why not?

Best not to have them have a say in making laws for others, when they don't follow current laws.

User avatar
Arlenton
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7450
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 am

Gives me an idea to help solve overcrowding in prisons. Don't sentence people for victimless crimes. Just take away their right to vote.

User avatar
Skyhooked
Minister
 
Posts: 3086
Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Skyhooked » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:40 am

Arlenton wrote:Gives me an idea to help solve overcrowding in prisons. Don't sentence people for victimless crimes. Just take away their right to vote.


Oh, come on! Why stop there? Just legalize all victimless crimes.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats can be used too.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=300

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches, and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: All kinds of meat from "Slice n' dice" butcher shops network 33% discount.

We are NOT ancap. We are anarcho-mutualsit.

Refreshing News: Moonsugar plant, we brought from colony Tamriel, was successfully cultivated in Skyhooked. Expect to see awesome skooma in evey bar! Yeah, we cultivated nirnroot too, but it's a boring plant./ Right wing of the capitol suddenly became infested with roaches and mice. Oh deer. Pest exterminators dispatched.

User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14925
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby San Lumen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 am

EER OT wrote:
San Lumen wrote:It hasn't even been voted on yet. Why should someone whose served their time be permanently barred from voting?
voting is a privilege not a right when you commit a crime and are labeled as a felon you lose rights that you once had. I agree with Etats confederes d Amerique

so someone whose served say a year in prison should be barred from voting for life?

User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14925
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby San Lumen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 am

Arlenton wrote:Gives me an idea to help solve overcrowding in prisons. Don't sentence people for victimless crimes. Just take away their right to vote.

thats even worse.

User avatar
Arlenton
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7450
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 am

San Lumen wrote:
EER OT wrote:voting is a privilege not a right when you commit a crime and are labeled as a felon you lose rights that you once had. I agree with Etats confederes d Amerique

so someone whose served say a year in prison should be barred from voting for life?

If the state they resides in says so, yeah.

User avatar
Greater vakolicci haven
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7214
Founded: May 09, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 am

San Lumen wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Doesn't go far enough, in my opinion. Prisons should have polling booths, as far as I'm concerned.

No I dont agree with that.

Why not?
Greater Vakolicci Haven:
Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Delegate to AIR:Enadia

Citizen:
Auroara | The kingdom of great Britain | Europeia

User avatar
Greater Kossackia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 62
Founded: Nov 12, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Greater Kossackia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:42 am

EER OT wrote:
San Lumen wrote:It hasn't even been voted on yet. Why should someone whose served their time be permanently barred from voting?
voting is a privilege not a right when you commit a crime and are labeled as a felon you lose rights that you once had. I agree with Etats confederes d Amerique

If you're going to make a case for semantics, then you should probably be careful to maintain a consistency in the use of terms yourself.

Bare in mind, this doesn't restore voting rights or privileges or whatever semantic you prefer to those still serving their term. This is specifically restoring the vote to people who have been convicted of a felony that is not murder or sexual offense after they have completed there sentence.

Next

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States, Jelmatt, New haven america, New Yeeia, Senkaku, Sitcoms, Tebuh, The East Marches II

Remove ads

cron