NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Ti Pod Challenge

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Manokan Republic
Minister

Founded: Dec 15, 2017
New York Times Democracy

[Submitted] Ti Pod Challenge

Postby Manokan Republic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:37 am

So, with the recent surgence in the teen trend of daring each other to eat tide-pods, I thought it would make a good nation state's issue to respond to it.

I already submitted a version, but in a bad format earlier, so to avoid clogging it up until any major issues are fixed, I won't post another one, but would like to know your suggestions for the future/or what have you. I'm thinking that Ti Pods is a good name for it, over tide pods, but I'm open to suggestions for what a good replacement name would be.

Headline title
Ti pod challenge results in several teen hospitalizations - Has the Ti pod Challenge gone too far?

Basic Intro
"Teens across the country have started consuming Ti Pods as a result of the Ti Pod challenge, with a growing number of kids being hospitalized after consuming copious amounts of ti pods, a popular form of laundry detergent that look and taste somewhat like candy."

Choice 1: "This is outrageous!" Claims concerned parent @@RANDOM NAME@@. "How can the nation go on and let these poor kids consume toxic substances such as this? Ti pod consumption should be discouraged, and warning labels should be placed on all of these toxic substances while we're at it, telling kids just how dangerous they are! Toxic substances should never look or taste like candy, and the obvious appearance of it should be changed, along with it's sugary flavor. It's the responsibility of the government and corporations to keep kids safe from these sorts of practices! Would someone please think of the children!"

Result: Your nation now requires warning labels on previously mundane products, requires a change in appearance and the addition of bitterants to all non-edible products, and major companies now face an onslaught of new lawsuits. (Economic productivity down, safety up, niceness up etc.)

Choice 2: "Nonsense", claims CEO @@RANDOM NAME@@, of the Ti Pod company "Kids will be kids, and you can't keep them safe from everything. If the parents are really concerned about their kids doing something as foolish as eating a ti pod, then it's their responsibility to take care of their kid and make sure they do not engage in such behavior. Unnecessary restrictions on business will bloat costs without seeing any real world impact on reducing ti pod consumption. What kid reads warning labels anyways?"

Result: Hospitalizations from ti pods and other teen challenges are growing at an alarming rate. (Safety down, health down, education down, economic productivity up, political freedom up, sector manufacturing up, boosts to insurance and retail )

Choice 3: "I agree that this has become a problem" Claims @@RANDOM NAME@@, your department of Child safety chief "But we shouldn't place restrictions on businesses or unduly expect the burden to be carried by parents alone. Instead we should create a government education program, predominately in schools, to teach people the danger of eating ti pods and to monitor and discourage other popular trends among teens that may also be dangerous. It will be expensive, but can we really put a price on the safety of our kids?"

Result: Government PSA's teach kids the dangers of eating ti pods and discourage other forms teenage social trends. (Taxation up, welfare up, health and safety up (marginally), education and intelligence up, political apathy down)

Choice 4: "Come on, try it!" claims @@RANDOM NAME@@, the teenage kid of one of your office employees. "You know you want to! It tastes all lemony fresh, and sometimes they come in different flavors too! Why do grown-ups always try and ruin us kid's fun? I say let us do what we want, and not let a few stupid people who took the game too far ruin everybody's fun. Let's let kids be kids!"

Result: Ti pod and other injuries from teen challenges sky rocket and surge dramatically across your nation. (Health down, safety down, political apathy up, civil rights up, political freedom up, slight economic boost).
Last edited by Manokan Republic on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manokan Republic
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Manokan Republic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:54 am

Choice 2 and 4: Unexpected follow-up outcome

Headline
Teenage hospitalizations from online challenges still grip the nation

Basic Intro
"With the dramatic resurgence in teen deaths and hospitalizations occurring, the nation has once again been gripped by the frequent problems of teen challenges. After your employee's teenage kid was hospitalized from Ti Pods, there have been renewed calls for stricter regulation on ti pods."

Choice 1: "I'm *hiccup* fine, I just *hiccup* have had just a *hiccup* set-back, that's all." The teenage kid said, burping loudly with bubbles. "Just because I made one bone-head mistake, doesn't mean all my friends have to be punished, too. I'm going to feel like a total dolt for getting sick and getting the game banned! Come on man!" Says the clearly injured child.

Results: Ti Pods and other teenage challenges still a growing problem. (Mostly stays the same, slight decrease in health, safety and education, big increase in civil rights and political freedoms).

Choice 2: "I was all for freedom of expression, but now it's going too far." Says the mother of the child, an employee of yours "At first I thought the ti pod challenge was a funny way for kids to experience early adulthood and make their own dumb choices, but now I realize more regulation is needed. We really need some kind of government education program to combat these growing teenage threats!"

Results: Mandatory education programs are implemented teaching children the danger of Ti Pods and other harmful teenage practices. (Same as Choice 3 above, but less benefit, and political freedoms down slightly).

Choice 3: "What, This again?" Says the CEO of the Ti Pod company, visibly counting stacks of cash in his office "I thought we went over this? Parents are supposed to take responsibility for their kid's action. This whole thing is a product of bad parenting, if you ask me. Parents are the one's that need to educated in order to teach their kids good behavior, not corporations or the government. If anything, governments should be regulating bad parents, not businesses."

Results: Parents are now routinely disciplined for their children's mistakes. (Social conservatism up, civil rights down slightly, economic increase, safety up slightly, education up slightly, ideological extremity up).
Last edited by Manokan Republic on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Manokan Republic
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Manokan Republic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:03 am

The basic mentality is this:

Choice 1: Results in a very large reduction in safety and health issues, but at the expense of the economy and sector manufacturing. A complete overhaul of the appearance to all toys, toxic products and so on that were never intended to be edible results in FDA-like inspections of everything from nails to wood chips and paint thinner, which means a massive spike hike. It also means less economic freedom, freedom in general, and more control to the government. No taxes as the burden is shifted to companies instead of the government.

Choice 3: Results in a small reduction to safety and health issues, by raising taxes, being a sort of middle ground option but that's not super effective as kids tend to ignore government PSA's.

Choice 2: Results in a large economic boom, and mild increases to freedom, but terrible problem with health and safety.

Choice 4: Results in a mild economic boom, and huge increases to civil rights and political freedoms, but horrendous problems with health and safety. Taking advice from children is not a good basis for policy, and some regulations are often needed. But go ahead and be a super anarchist government if you want!
Last edited by Manokan Republic on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:20 am

Please don't submit issues before recieving feedback
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Manokan Republic
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Manokan Republic » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:24 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Please don't submit issues before recieving feedback

I just figured anyone could submit an issue, right?

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:10 am

Manokan Republic wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Please don't submit issues before recieving feedback

I just figured anyone could submit an issue, right?

Yes, but the rate of acceptance is significantly lower if you do not pass your draft through the forum for critique.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:29 am

hah.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 am

Singapore no2 wrote:
Manokan Republic wrote:I just figured anyone could submit an issue, right?

Yes, but the rate of acceptance is significantly lower if you do not pass your draft through the forum for critique.

This was an issue idea that came up in an NSG thread, and I suggested bringing it over here for drafting, but that may have been after Manokan submitted it.

What you said about the acceptance rate is still true. Just thought I'd give some background as to what happened here.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Manokan Republic
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Manokan Republic » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:49 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:Yes, but the rate of acceptance is significantly lower if you do not pass your draft through the forum for critique.

This was an issue idea that came up in an NSG thread, and I suggested bringing it over here for drafting, but that may have been after Manokan submitted it.

What you said about the acceptance rate is still true. Just thought I'd give some background as to what happened here.

Yeah, that's what happened. I read over the stuff but didn't know some of the information like, how much the mods would edit it and whatnot. Or if I was supposed to write down the impact of it somewhere I didn't see.

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:54 am

You must make the issue effect (the text stating what will happen after submitting a choice) shorter. Also, make the choices more satirical, such as the CEO being evil greedy capitalist (who justify the kids who eat ti pod deserving it because of natural selection)
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:24 pm

The Federation of Kendor wrote:You must make the issue effect (the text stating what will happen after submitting a choice) shorter. Also, make the choices more satirical, such as the CEO being evil greedy capitalist (who justify the kids who eat ti pod deserving it because of natural selection)

I feel like the natural selection thing would be too blatantly evil coming from the CEO, since he is presumably concerned with the company's public image. Capitalist pig characters need to be a little more subtle and underhanded in their nastiness.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Manokan Republic
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Manokan Republic » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:49 am

USS Monitor wrote:
The Federation of Kendor wrote:You must make the issue effect (the text stating what will happen after submitting a choice) shorter. Also, make the choices more satirical, such as the CEO being evil greedy capitalist (who justify the kids who eat ti pod deserving it because of natural selection)

I feel like the natural selection thing would be too blatantly evil coming from the CEO, since he is presumably concerned with the company's public image. Capitalist pig characters need to be a little more subtle and underhanded in their nastiness.

The rationale was more that the CEO wasn't evil, just very hardlined conservative, which blends somewhat in to his political ideology. Most CEO's have political ideologies too, and aren't just in it for the money, although it's always funny how the two blend together. Realistically it's more "well this is a parental issue..." trying to shift blame, which means it has a kernel of truth but is also motivated by their own interest to some degree as well. In a way it's sort of cognitive dissonance. Presumably, all issues have a response that has some kind of kernel of truth to all of them, and your own opinion is what pushes the decision over the edge, rather than one being overtly bad or good.

The main idea is not to make any one of the options obviously good or bad with trade-off's for any of the decisions. Public safety vs. civil rights for example.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 am

Manokan Republic wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

The rationale was more that the CEO wasn't evil, just very hardlined conservative, which blends somewhat in to his political ideology. Most CEO's have political ideologies too, and aren't just in it for the money, although it's always funny how the two blend together. Realistically it's more "well this is a parental issue..." trying to shift blame, which means it has a kernel of truth but is also motivated by their own interest to some degree as well. In a way it's sort of cognitive dissonance. Presumably, all issues have a response that has some kind of kernel of truth to all of them, and your own opinion is what pushes the decision over the edge, rather than one being overtly bad or good.

The main idea is not to make any one of the options obviously good or bad with trade-off's for any of the decisions. Public safety vs. civil rights for example.

What does this have to do with what I said? Next time, maybe check whether I'm criticizing the option as written or an over-the-top suggestion that you didn't use.

I say something is too over the top. You don't use it -- probably because you agreed with me that it's too over the top. Then you give me a lecture on How To Write An Issue 101 as if I've never done it before and tell me how "my opinion" is preventing me from appreciating the subtleties of your writing. Not really your finest moment.

Manokan Republic
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Manokan Republic » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:33 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Manokan Republic wrote:The rationale was more that the CEO wasn't evil, just very hardlined conservative, which blends somewhat in to his political ideology. Most CEO's have political ideologies too, and aren't just in it for the money, although it's always funny how the two blend together. Realistically it's more "well this is a parental issue..." trying to shift blame, which means it has a kernel of truth but is also motivated by their own interest to some degree as well. In a way it's sort of cognitive dissonance. Presumably, all issues have a response that has some kind of kernel of truth to all of them, and your own opinion is what pushes the decision over the edge, rather than one being overtly bad or good.

What does this have to do with what I said? Next time, maybe check whether I'm criticizing the option as written or an over-the-top suggestion that you didn't use.

I say something is too over the top. You don't use it -- probably because you agreed with me that it's too over the top. Then you give me a lecture on How To Write An Issue 101 as if I've never done it before and tell me how "my opinion" is preventing me from appreciating the subtleties of your writing. Not really your finest moment.

I realize this is a really late reply but I was actually agreeing with you and just expanding upon it rather than suggesting you were wrong. Basically it was my addition to what you were saying, not a correction of what you were saying.

So basically I was like, adding to what you said.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:41 am

Good luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?