NATION

PASSWORD

Inappropriate Auction?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20307
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Inappropriate Auction?

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:15 am

So let's say a scenario that has happened in a TV show does play out in real life.

You have a young adult daughter. The young adult daughter lives with you and is economically, financially, socially dependent on you.

One day you find out that your daughter is working on a project to protest the Western world ignoring sex trade/slavery issues in the Third World... by going online and auctioning her virginity to the highest bidder (and drawing attention to this with Facebook, Twitter, blogs etc).

Your daughter insists that "this is the way" to protest the issue and that she has a social consciousness. She says the world needs to see a privileged upper/middle class girl auctioning her virginity online to realise the extent to which exploitation exists in less fortunate parts of the world. Her own life has to Matter and this is how she's going to make a stand.

Let's say that in this scenario, prostitution is entirely legal worldwide (so we don't have to consider mechanical arguments about illegality, fines, imprisonment etc).

Now how would you respond to this?

1. What would you say to her?
2. Would you attempt to stop the project/online auction? If so, what specific actions would you take?
3. How much of a point do you think she has (if any)?

I would be uneasy about it at first.

However, I think that after a while, I would come to the rightful conclusion that having liberal values means that sometimes you have to live by your words, and not just sit on them. If my daughter wants to do this, then its 100% her choice and if I don't support her then I will personally be an authoritarian, old school, hypocritical, politically incorrect bastard. And I can't have that. And so it is with a very heavy heart, that I would have to allow the auction to proceed. I don't like the idea of my daughter auctioning her virginity... but if I support Freedom, I have to support Freedom.

Personally though, I don't think she has a point. Fact of the matter is, the exploitation in the Third World will continue and there is no doubt that she will regret her decision later in life.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Sovaal
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13016
Founded: Mar 17, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sovaal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:21 am

If shes an adult, disapprove highly and tell her so. If she gets arrested get her a lawyer I guess.

If still a dependent ground her. For, like a year.

Dirty centrist
Unapologetic Jon Snow supporter
"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 123817
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:22 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:...but if I support Freedom, I have to support Freedom.

But you don't support freedom.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm.
It be feelin' like the life that I’m livin' man out of control
Like every day I’m in a fight for my soul


It’s likely that one or two of you who’ll listen to this enjoy the liberal administration of a social lubricant in it’s many wonderful forms. I can tell by the head on ya. A drop o’ Buckfast, a bump a’ Marvyn K, a cup o’ psilocybin scald, an opium suppository or whatever you’re havin’ yourself. And we’re right there with ya, rubbin’ in the commotion lotion and chasing blue ghosts. Fuck it, d’ya know what I mean?

User avatar
Sovaal
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13016
Founded: Mar 17, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sovaal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:23 am

Ifreann wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:...but if I support Freedom, I have to support Freedom.

But you don't support freedom.

Shh, shh. He supports what he deems gives him the high ground.

Dirty centrist
Unapologetic Jon Snow supporter
"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

User avatar
Kenmoria
Minister
 
Posts: 3458
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:24 am

If she is an adult, let her as it is her choice and tyrannical to stop her. If however she is a minor I would definitely not let her.
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Currently centre-right on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts our democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37359
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:25 am

Ifreann wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:...but if I support Freedom, I have to support Freedom.

But you don't support freedom.


IM will support whatever's necessary for the next hypothetical. It's a humble, hand-to-mouth existence, simultaneously shoving the old words back in and hand-wavedly ignoring any reminders to the contrary.
Hit CTRL-ALT-THONK for bonus post features
There is no good and evil, only puns and those too weak to make them
Member of the Anime/Meme Avatar Corporatist Fanclub/Reactionary Pseudosocialist Brigade
⚧Copy and paste this into your sig if biology passed you by when the IQ points were being handed out⚧
Pax DIabolica
Economic: -4.88 Social: +1.79
8values test: Left-Wing Populist

User avatar
Radiatia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7576
Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Free-Market Paradise

Postby Radiatia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:25 am

1. What would you say to her?
"You're a fucking moron if you think the way to protest sex slavery is to sell yourself as a sex slave."

2. Would you attempt to stop the project/online auction? If so, what specific actions would you take?

I would have no legal recourse, but she certainly won't be getting any inheritance. I'd be ashamed to have such an idiotic daughter. As for the project, well, that's their business.

3. How much of a point do you think she has (if any)?
See answer to (1)
Last edited by Radiatia on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Polar Svalbard
Senator
 
Posts: 3549
Founded: Mar 28, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Polar Svalbard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:29 am

Yeah no, sorry hun, but that's not how we're gonna do things. You selling your virginity is going to do nothing but piss me off. Seriously though, this will accomplish nothing and end up with you having been a prostitute which will sit with you for the rest of your life, and it might reflect poorly with employers. Plus the kinds of guys who would buy a prostitute are not people you want to have sex with, lonely degenerates.

This whole privilege thing is so just ugh, the fact that our society has gotten to a point where it is considered that because you have "Privilege" you should have to degrade your body to get your point across is bull. No, donate money to causes that deal with this, you can talk about it on social media, and maybe direct your efforts somewhere where you'll actually have a difference. Like go work in a soup kitchen for a bit. How about that hon, because I guarantee I will kill any man who's going to have sex with you for money.
Member of The Western Isles
Svalbardian international policy summarized: "Shoot first, hope that no one asks questions later." - Linaviar

User avatar
Heloin
Diplomat
 
Posts: 931
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Heloin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 am

My daughter sounds like a idiot in this scenario. How does whoring yourself prove to anyone the extent of the slave trade, it proves that she has too much time on her hands if you ask me. Thinking back (aside from the fucking part) wasn't this part of a joke in an episode of Yes Minister.


Either that or this is the excuse to me that she wants to work as a prostitute.
Suck whatever genitals you find least appealing. - Gabriel Morton

Names Jenny. Proud Zimbabwean. Currently lives in Florida. Duchess of Bulawayo. Rugby Fan, Go Sables!
Can't spell, can't proofread. Flag of Heloin Factbook Art Thread Kisimusi yakanaka

User avatar
The New California Republic
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9528
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Anarchy

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:One day you find out that your daughter is working on a project to protest the Western world ignoring sex trade/slavery issues in the Third World... by going online and auctioning her virginity to the highest bidder (and drawing attention to this with Facebook, Twitter, blogs etc). Your daughter insists that "this is the way" to protest the issue and that she has a social consciousness. She says the world needs to see a privileged upper/middle class girl auctioning her virginity online to realise the extent to which exploitation exists in less fortunate parts of the world. Her own life has to Matter and this is how she's going to make a stand.

What would you say to her?

I would say to her that she has some kind of humiliation/domination fantasy that she needs to address, that there are better ways to satisfy that kink than this lame roundabout and convoluted excuse...
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Purpelia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30167
Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Libertarian Police State

Postby Purpelia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:13 am

It all boils down on if I feel she is old enough to have sex. If yes, than she can do what ever she wants with that. I don't consider prostitution to be any more of a bad thing than any other job. If not, than I would stop her using the same methods I would use to stop a 5 year old from having sex.

Either way however I would feel very sad and disappointed at my self for not teaching my child better than to be an idealistic world-changer. And would give her a strong lecture on the topic of the futility and disgusting disgraceful nature of wanting to make grand gestures and act out in order to try and "save the world".
Civilized responsible people don't try to "save the world". They live their life with the cards dealt to them and only use legitimate means such as voting and legitimate organized protests to get their way. Not this sort of random sideways gestures.

TLDR; I don't mind the whore part but no child of mine is going to be an activist.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.



The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20307
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:22 am

Purpelia wrote:It all boils down on if I feel she is old enough to have sex. If yes, than she can do what ever she wants with that. I don't consider prostitution to be any more of a bad thing than any other job. If not, than I would stop her using the same methods I would use to stop a 5 year old from having sex.

Either way however I would feel very sad and disappointed at my self for not teaching my child better than to be an idealistic world-changer. And would give her a strong lecture on the topic of the futility and disgusting disgraceful nature of wanting to make grand gestures and act out in order to try and "save the world".
Civilized responsible people don't try to "save the world". They live their life with the cards dealt to them and only use legitimate means such as voting and legitimate organized protests to get their way. Not this sort of random sideways gestures.


How is organised protest better though? Isn't it also kind of illegitimate (or as legitimate as this)?

I mean, I always saw protest as a "we can't win by voting therefore we will make a lot of noise" tactic
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Purpelia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30167
Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Libertarian Police State

Postby Purpelia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:32 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:How is organised protest better though? Isn't it also kind of illegitimate (or as legitimate as this)?

I mean, I always saw protest as a "we can't win by voting therefore we will make a lot of noise" tactic

There is a very fine line between the two. So fine that I like to draw the line erring on the side of "don't make noise".

In general, I find the idea of organized peaceful protest conducted in traditionally legitimate ways such as standing or marching in large numbers (either physically or online), signing petitions etc. in order to bring attention to a point as being fine. But only if you are being calm, civil, peaceful and non violent. And only as long as you accept that society has the right to say no to your request and respect their decision if they do so. Anything that goes beyond this either in terms of the means used or in terms of not accepting defeat I find to be illegitimate.

The key point is that you are bringing attention to your opinion and issue, something that everyone has the right to do, but not demanding others acquiesce to it. And that you are doing so in a way that is not disruptive, shocking or otherwise inappropriate because you are supposed to convince people with your argument and not with your performance. The moment you cross that line is the moment you become illegitimate.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.



The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

User avatar
Cetacea
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5579
Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Cetacea » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 am

'Great idea honey but
1 require a minimum bid of $1000000
2 put in a clause that I as chaperone get to vet the auction winner which will include medical and psych evaluations.
3 also indicate that you have a right to withdraw at any time'

User avatar
Heloin
Diplomat
 
Posts: 931
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Heloin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Purpelia wrote:It all boils down on if I feel she is old enough to have sex. If yes, than she can do what ever she wants with that. I don't consider prostitution to be any more of a bad thing than any other job. If not, than I would stop her using the same methods I would use to stop a 5 year old from having sex.

Either way however I would feel very sad and disappointed at my self for not teaching my child better than to be an idealistic world-changer. And would give her a strong lecture on the topic of the futility and disgusting disgraceful nature of wanting to make grand gestures and act out in order to try and "save the world".
Civilized responsible people don't try to "save the world". They live their life with the cards dealt to them and only use legitimate means such as voting and legitimate organized protests to get their way. Not this sort of random sideways gestures.


How is organised protest better though? Isn't it also kind of illegitimate (or as legitimate as this)?

This is clearly less legitimate. This kind of protest would be a gimmick brought up in those did you knew books, barely remember past the point it happened and raising no awareness to its cause once all is said and done.

I mean, I always saw protest as a "we can't win by voting therefore we will make a lot of noise" tactic

While that does have somewhat a ring of truth to it's not quite on point. A protest when done well will both make people aware of a real (or perceived) problem and set it into the public consciousness.
Suck whatever genitals you find least appealing. - Gabriel Morton

Names Jenny. Proud Zimbabwean. Currently lives in Florida. Duchess of Bulawayo. Rugby Fan, Go Sables!
Can't spell, can't proofread. Flag of Heloin Factbook Art Thread Kisimusi yakanaka

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22031
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:37 am

I'd tell her that's a dumb way to protest this, tell her there's nothing wrong with wanting to do this for personal reasons, then wish her luck. It's her choice, I can only tell her how I feel about it
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7230
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 am

I think it's clear answer to this is.

*turns on video game and starts jamming to music*
Otho Tedgustus President Esteemed of Holy Tedalonia.
FACTBOOK
Status based off index:
Tier: 7
Level: 0
Type: 6
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
NS Stats don't matter | warning leader does not represent everyone's attitude | Massive Update in progress, gist is a succession of power is about to happen. Q&A about Holy Tedalonia and more
Name: Ted
Ideology: Capitalism
Political Compass: Social Libertarian for some reason
Race: Vampire
Political Side: Right
Favorite Senator: Ted Cruz (Ted's have to help out Ted's)
Status: Healthy and as strong as a starved ox
Religion: a Pious Christian (although that doesn't stop me from RPing against good every now and then)
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

User avatar
Neanderthaland
Minister
 
Posts: 2332
Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:47 am

Now how would you respond to this?

Place the highest bid.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22031
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:50 am

Neanderthaland wrote:
Now how would you respond to this?

Place the highest bid.

I get what you mean but....creepy
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Sovaal
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13016
Founded: Mar 17, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sovaal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:50 am

Neanderthaland wrote:
Now how would you respond to this?

Place the highest bid.

K...

Dirty centrist
Unapologetic Jon Snow supporter
"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7230
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 am

IF this were to exist than it would not effect me at all, save unless my sister does it. But for me in general no.
Otho Tedgustus President Esteemed of Holy Tedalonia.
FACTBOOK
Status based off index:
Tier: 7
Level: 0
Type: 6
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
NS Stats don't matter | warning leader does not represent everyone's attitude | Massive Update in progress, gist is a succession of power is about to happen. Q&A about Holy Tedalonia and more
Name: Ted
Ideology: Capitalism
Political Compass: Social Libertarian for some reason
Race: Vampire
Political Side: Right
Favorite Senator: Ted Cruz (Ted's have to help out Ted's)
Status: Healthy and as strong as a starved ox
Religion: a Pious Christian (although that doesn't stop me from RPing against good every now and then)
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

User avatar
Neanderthaland
Minister
 
Posts: 2332
Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Place the highest bid.

I get what you mean but....creepy

Everything about this thread was already creepy.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22031
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:IF this were to exist than it would not effect me at all, save unless my sister does it. But for me in general no.

The entire hypothetical involves a hypothetical daughter, Your's.
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22031
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 am

Neanderthaland wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:I get what you mean but....creepy

Everything about this thread was already creepy.

Really? I thought it was kinky.







Now it's creepy
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7230
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:55 am

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:IF this were to exist than it would not effect me at all, save unless my sister does it. But for me in general no.

The entire hypothetical involves a hypothetical daughter, Your's.

But I'm a teenager. If I were to have a hypothetical daughter, I'm more concerned on how she's able to, combined with the fact that those guys who pay my daughter to have sex must be incredibly creepy.
Otho Tedgustus President Esteemed of Holy Tedalonia.
FACTBOOK
Status based off index:
Tier: 7
Level: 0
Type: 6
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
NS Stats don't matter | warning leader does not represent everyone's attitude | Massive Update in progress, gist is a succession of power is about to happen. Q&A about Holy Tedalonia and more
Name: Ted
Ideology: Capitalism
Political Compass: Social Libertarian for some reason
Race: Vampire
Political Side: Right
Favorite Senator: Ted Cruz (Ted's have to help out Ted's)
Status: Healthy and as strong as a starved ox
Religion: a Pious Christian (although that doesn't stop me from RPing against good every now and then)
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aellex, Bombadil, Cult of the Black Beast, FelrikTheDeleted, Galloism, Google [Bot], Infected Mushroom, Internationalist Bastard, Len Hyet, Napkiraly, NeoOasis, New haven america, Pasong Tirad, Right wing humour squad, Special Aromas, The Alma Mater, Yahoo [Bot]

Advertisement

Remove ads