NATION

PASSWORD

The Eastern Seas Conglomerate (TWI Only)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Ter Natiour
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

The Eastern Seas Conglomerate (TWI Only)

Postby Ter Natiour » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:55 pm

This is a forum In-character and Out of Character for right now. The Eastern Seas Conglomerate is an alliance placed in the Western Isles and is open only to those in the Western Isles.

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=ter ... /id=951822
Last edited by Ter Natiour on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bhumidol
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bhumidol » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm

$50 Billion is a large amount! There are many nations that I think probably have governmental budgets close to that size. Bhumidol's own budget is only a few times larger than this amount. Perhaps you should chop off a few zeroes~

Bhumidol also would not use the currency offered by the organization since (1) if in the case we are allowed to retain individual fiscal control of our budgets, Bhumidol would be concerned about disparities in lending & borrowing cultures between nations, which would result in a Greek-like economic crisis, and (2) if it were the case that fiscal and monetary policy is married together, Bhumidol would not want to join it since having independent policy responses to the economy is crucial for any nation.

I am additionally concerned since there is no mention of which organization is issueing this currency.

In general, you should not be introducing a common currency until:
(1) Currencies of the countries of interest approach a similar interest rate. If you introduce a currency for a bundle of countries that includes Country A, a fiscally responsible country that keeps its inflation low, and Country B, a country that loves welfare and could care less about the declining value of its own currency, international investors will not trust the value of the new currency.
(2) Governments generally adhere to similar fiscal policy regimes/cultures. This essentially follows from the first point I made

Therefore, if you do have aspirations to create a single-currency union, make sure you work at it gradually. Work with countries that have similar fiscal and monetary policy cultures/regimes.

Given that Bhumidol has a vastly different culture from other nations within our specific subregion, it would not be confident in the stability of such a single-currency.

I am also going to be a bit honest and say that I am a bit in the dark in terms of how these committees will be run, and how members of such committees will be appointed. Perhaps instituting a legislature of some kind may be helpful to this end? An organization to oversee the administrative aspects of the organization would also be beneficial I think
Last edited by Bhumidol on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Words do not mean, they act...

Nothing -- When one is for nothing, all the troubles of the mind inherited from the world fall away, and a concise consciousness will give you everything you wish for...

Nothing -- For if one is against nothing, there exist no enemy to subjugate, but only an infinite number of friends which right logic must sublimate...

Ter Natiour
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ter Natiour » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:32 pm

The 50 billion was an accident, I meant 50 million. I'll get rid of the currency thing. Most of the Committees will run by themselves with out having actual characters doing things. But, we can have a legislative branch that helps make laws and decides how and when we aid someone. I was thinking it was all more automatic except for the foriegn aid, disputes, and maybe piracy.

The Student Exchange program could include a list of nations exchanging students if we want too btw.

I'll go edit the factbook to make the changes

Bhumidol
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bhumidol » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:56 pm

Ter Natiour wrote:The 50 billion was an accident, I meant 50 million. I'll get rid of the currency thing. Most of the Committees will run by themselves with out having actual characters doing things. But, we can have a legislative branch that helps make laws and decides how and when we aid someone. I was thinking it was all more automatic except for the foriegn aid, disputes, and maybe piracy.

The Student Exchange program could include a list of nations exchanging students if we want too btw.

I'll go edit the factbook to make the changes

Generally speaking, most organizations that have a high level of engagement such as these have a legislative organ. If the fate of the tarriffs on smartphones I have (and to that extension, Bhumidol's smartphone industry) were for example put in the hands of a committee with few Bhumhalese on it, Bhumidol would not view such a committee favorably and probably would not accept its decision.

If you want to encourage multilateralism, that can only happen if groups of delegates can negotiate with each other in a transparent setting. Committees not selected by election or elected representatives tend to be suspect of or actually be corrupt or unfair in an internation setting (although I am mainly thinking about the IMF)
Words do not mean, they act...

Nothing -- When one is for nothing, all the troubles of the mind inherited from the world fall away, and a concise consciousness will give you everything you wish for...

Nothing -- For if one is against nothing, there exist no enemy to subjugate, but only an infinite number of friends which right logic must sublimate...

Ter Natiour
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ter Natiour » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Bhumidol wrote:Generally speaking, most organizations that have a high level of engagement such as these have a legislative organ. If the fate of the tarriffs on smartphones I have (and to that extension, Bhumidol's smartphone industry) were for example put in the hands of a committee with few Bhumhalese on it, Bhumidol would not view such a committee favorably and probably would not accept its decision.

If you want to encourage multilateralism, that can only happen if groups of delegates can negotiate with each other in a transparent setting. Committees not selected by election or elected representatives tend to be suspect of or actually be corrupt or unfair in an internation setting (although I am mainly thinking about the IMF)

So I can just change the committees to ideas of the organization and then have just one large body that votes on things?

Ter Natiour
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ter Natiour » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:02 pm

also will be doing major edits tomorrow so it isn't stolen property
I got to go to bed soon

Corindia
Minister

Founded: May 29, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Why is this maintaining its own fleet? This is not workable as it is now.
Maybe take some cues from this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizat ... can_States

Of the People, For the People

Ter Natiour
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ter Natiour » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Okay, so don't have a fleet but encourage neutrality? Observe elections in order to improve democracy, advocate for human rights, create free trade zone such as no tariffs, and this

"Promoting sustainable development: The goal of the OAS's Inter-American Council for Integral Development is to promote economic development and combating poverty. OAS technical cooperation programs address such areas as river basin management, the conservation of biodiversity, preservation of cultural diversity, planning for global climate change, sustainable tourism, and natural disaster mitigation"

and appoint people to certain positions or elect them to do certain things?

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Ter Natiour wrote:Okay, so don't have a fleet but encourage neutrality? Observe elections in order to improve democracy, advocate for human rights, create free trade zone such as no tariffs, and this

"Promoting sustainable development: The goal of the OAS's Inter-American Council for Integral Development is to promote economic development and combating poverty. OAS technical cooperation programs address such areas as river basin management, the conservation of biodiversity, preservation of cultural diversity, planning for global climate change, sustainable tourism, and natural disaster mitigation"

and appoint people to certain positions or elect them to do certain things?

absolutely no fleet, no military, nothing like that. And it should probably only encourage free trade, not enforce it. But the rest is fine.

It really can't be an incredibly binding organization, essentially

Ter Natiour
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ter Natiour » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Alright

Ter Natiour
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ter Natiour » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:26 pm

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=ter ... /id=951822

Here is an updated version of the factbook.

Balnik
Envoy

Founded: Mar 10, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Balnik » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:29 pm

Not interested
Literal Nationalist

Oilworker & Albertan Proud

Oturia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Oturia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:11 pm

I'm greatful for the offer, I can provide goods and steel to the members if I join.
Anthem: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gwM7FJvcaQE

"Only the dead have seen the end of war.”

I had a goddamned PLAN! - Dutch plan der linde
I don't use NS stats

Aruia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aruia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:03 pm

aruia is willing to join if it can pay less than 50,000,000.
that amount of expense goes against the interest of the people of Aruia which Aruia can find backings efforts close to this body that would be an effort with direct nations.
Visit Aruias factbook meet the nation of the hoopoes

Yorrkon
Secretary

Founded: Nov 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Yorrkon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 pm

"The ESC also encourages sports teams to be created and creation of competition between nations in the 'Eastern Sea Games'. These games will take place annually and will require the participation of all member nations. Member nations can volunteer to host it or it will be a literal draw of the hat."

This statement is stating that is is encouraged, yet also required. That contradicts each other. I as well don't believe it should be mandatory for a member nation to have to create and fund an athletic team when the goals of the alliance are said to be "solve disputes, rescue civilians, aid the harmed, protect the environment, protect each other from pirates, share the responsibility of educating our youth, and help lower tariffs against each other."
A New Yorker. Paying Luxury Tax, Property Tax, City Income Tax, State Income Tax, Sales Tax, Gas Tax, Auto Tax, Property Tax, Parking Tickets. Looking at bums.

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo Tolstoy

Rationalist, Humanist, Pragmatic, Utilitarian, Patriotic

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:24 pm

I don't think I want to join this, it's trying to be too many things at once with nations that I'm not particularly close with

Definus
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Definus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:03 pm

As much as I'm open to this idea, I have to agree with Corindia that 'it's trying to be too many things at once'... I feel it lacks focus on the overarching issues – I mean every organisation is established around a central goal, and then they go around creating institutions and projects to help them reach that goal – and that goal definitely can't be trying to do every thing the EU and OECD are currently doing. I definitely don't mind having discussions to iron out the details since it can be much more refined as to its purpose and utility.

By the way, 50 million in your own currency is just... odd. If you get an extremely big nation of 25 million persons and another on the opposite spectrum of 2 million persons, both with similar tax laws and similar GDP per capita, 50 million is going to be a very small fraction of the government revenue of the big nation but will be an extreme burden on the small nation. How about working towards a more proportional or progressive funding system?
德芬中華民國
THE REPUBLIC OF DEFINUS

Embassy Programme of The Republic of Definus

Verdon
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Verdon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:09 pm

What this document needs
There's far too much going on in this agreement. You need to prioritize the main aspects of what you want this organization to be, and cut out the excess. Also, you should recognize that since there is no bar for membership, the security of such a group is at risk. Only countries who are trusted by all members should be entering into an agreement like this and since you've decided this is an Eastern Seas agreement - one of the most tumultuous subregions - you've got your work cut out for you. On top of that, this agreement is a major breach of national sovereignty. While that is inherent in any organization that has a international legislative body, through the ESHO and legiferi vote, my nation's borders can be closed without my consent - that's a big problem.

What I think you should be doing instead
For someone as new to the region as you are, I'd instead work on pursuing good relations with a handful of nations in the region that you're interested in and then seeing if they would be interested in some sort of agreement like this. This can involve reading peoples factbooks and asking them engaging questions, collaborating in shared histories, cultures, and rps, finding common ground, generally getting along with people OOC, and the easiest (or hardest) one - just sticking around for a while. There's a lot of benefit to absorbing regional culture IC and OOC before trying to pull something like this off.

Anyway, I'm coming off as super pedantic and that's kinda dick-ish of me, but that's honestly how I feel about your place in the region currently and what you should do. Really, goes for anyone who's been here less than three months...
Last edited by Verdon on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm

I agree with Verdon, this is ambitious and could be interesting, but with no context off cooperation between the relevant nations and without a clear goal it's going to have a tough time taking off

Aruia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aruia » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:43 am

Corindia wrote:I agree with Verdon, this is ambitious and could be interesting, but with no context off cooperation between the relevant nations and without a clear goal it's going to have a tough time taking off

I think the main feel is off context it ignore direct corrolations to rp events that story wise would effect any international body
Visit Aruias factbook meet the nation of the hoopoes

Ter Natiour
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ter Natiour » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:08 am

Okay, I'm going to do what verdon said, make edits over time to fix those issues

West Suomi
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby West Suomi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:58 am

I think this is a good idea, but I’ve got to agree with the fact about the 50 million in each nation’s currency. Since West Suomi is already in the CU, the people wouldn’t be too interested in a new alliance, since the CU is a great alliance.

But I’ll think about joining, this is quite intriguing :)
Proud member of The Western Isles.
President: Jari Laaksonen (Jeyzor)
Capital city: Blue Waters

RPs I am currently in:
TWI News (The Western Isles News)
The Cooperative Union
TWItter (The Western Isles Twitter)
Iram of the Pillars

Ter Natiour
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation