NATION

PASSWORD

Meaning of Existence

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Etrusci Imperium
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Sep 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Meaning of Existence

Postby Etrusci Imperium » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:57 pm

Hello nations of Nation States, I hope this finds you healthy and happy.

I am here to ask a question that will likely incite several debates of science, faith, and or pragmatism.

If everything is destined to die, from the star in our solar system, to the degredation of the human body, then what is the purpose of existing, of having self awareness and the ability to contemplate on things beyond the scope of lower tiers of complex thought and action?

I feel as though our struggles are pointless if it all ends the same.

The (lack luster, much to my disappointment) race to colonize other planets, the ability to stop aging in it's tracks, transferring consciousness to Android or robotic bodies. All of it for naught when the eventual death of our star destroys our planet, and us as a species.

So I ask you, what is the point when it is for nothing in the end?

User avatar
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister
 
Posts: 3374
Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:01 am

Just make yourself and others as happy as possible. Here's a more in-depth explanation of this philosophy (optimistic nihilism).
Last edited by Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Montchevre
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 362
Founded: Aug 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Montchevre » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:05 am

Oh what an ecstasy of nihilism! How wonderful. Well, clearly the purpose of existence is to live a meaningful life. That of course is exceptionally vague, as it should be. Each individual should define his own meaning. But here is mine.

Life is finite. Its pleasures and triumphs are thus also finite. We should do that which causes us pleasure up until the point that our pleasure causes displeasure to others. More importantly when it comes to starting debates, I feel we should live our lives for as long as possible, without any restrictions but the confines of our ever more incredible technology. The Universe is too beautiful to simply abandon after such a paltry bundle of decades! I have so many lives to live! I wish to see the world in its entirety, read far too many great works of literature for an average lifespan, try all that is new, and when I run out of things to try make new things myself. Most of all though, I want the time to make a difference. Whether through politics, art, or philanthropy, it takes a great deal of time to improve the lives of others. That time I need. And so I shall try to live on until my last replacement organ wears out, my eyes finally dim, and I sink into the abyss.

Death cannot ever be overcome, but it should be spurned as long as possible.
Last edited by Montchevre on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm tired of the fight. What we need is pragmatic solutions, not party politics.
Quotes:
"Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle." Thomas Jefferson
"Fear always springs from ignorance." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"The rights of democracy are not reserved for a select group within society; they are the rights of all the people." Olof Palme
"Only an organized and conscious people can bring about a different kind of society." Salvador Allende.

User avatar
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister
 
Posts: 3374
Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:08 am

Montchevre wrote:Oh what an ecstasy of nihilism! How wonderful. Well, clearly the purpose of existence is to live a meaningful life. That of course is exceptionally vague, as it should be. Each individual should define his own meaning. But here is mine.

Life is finite. Its pleasures and triumphs are thus also finite. We should do that which causes us pleasure up until the point that our pleasure causes displeasure to others. More importantly when it comes to starting debates, I feel we should live our lives for as long as possible, without any restrictions but the confines of our ever more incredible technology. The Universe is too beautiful to simply abandon after such a paltry bundle of decades! I have so many lives to live! I wish to see the world in its entirety, read far too many great works of literature for an average lifespan, try all that is new, and when I run out of things to try make new things myself. Most of all though, I want the time to make a difference. Whether through politics, art, or philanthropy, it takes a great deal of time to improve the lives of others. That time I need. And so I shall try to live on until my last replacement organ wears out, my eyes finally dim, and I sink into the abyss.

Death cannot ever be overcome, but it should be spurned as long as possible.

Well, living as long a life as possible gives you a hell of a lot of extra time to make yourself and others happier. Which is one reason I support human life extension technologies.

User avatar
Montchevre
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 362
Founded: Aug 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Montchevre » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:12 am

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:
Montchevre wrote:Oh what an ecstasy of nihilism! How wonderful. Well, clearly the purpose of existence is to live a meaningful life. That of course is exceptionally vague, as it should be. Each individual should define his own meaning. But here is mine.

Life is finite. Its pleasures and triumphs are thus also finite. We should do that which causes us pleasure up until the point that our pleasure causes displeasure to others. More importantly when it comes to starting debates, I feel we should live our lives for as long as possible, without any restrictions but the confines of our ever more incredible technology. The Universe is too beautiful to simply abandon after such a paltry bundle of decades! I have so many lives to live! I wish to see the world in its entirety, read far too many great works of literature for an average lifespan, try all that is new, and when I run out of things to try make new things myself. Most of all though, I want the time to make a difference. Whether through politics, art, or philanthropy, it takes a great deal of time to improve the lives of others. That time I need. And so I shall try to live on until my last replacement organ wears out, my eyes finally dim, and I sink into the abyss.

Death cannot ever be overcome, but it should be spurned as long as possible.

Well, living as long a life as possible gives you a hell of a lot of extra time to make yourself and others happier. Which is one reason I support human life extension technologies.

Finally I've found someone! Almost every flesh-and-blood human I know sounds like the Patriarch of the Cult of Backwards whenever life-extension comes up.
I'm tired of the fight. What we need is pragmatic solutions, not party politics.
Quotes:
"Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle." Thomas Jefferson
"Fear always springs from ignorance." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"The rights of democracy are not reserved for a select group within society; they are the rights of all the people." Olof Palme
"Only an organized and conscious people can bring about a different kind of society." Salvador Allende.

User avatar
Neanderthaland
Minister
 
Posts: 2332
Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:13 am

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Just make yourself and others as happy as possible. Here's a more in-depth explanation of this philosophy (optimistic nihilism).

I prefer this one.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

User avatar
Bombadil
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8520
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 am

Neanderthaland wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Just make yourself and others as happy as possible. Here's a more in-depth explanation of this philosophy (optimistic nihilism).

I prefer this one.


I prefer this one
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

User avatar
South Bagus Nakalca
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 12
Founded: May 11, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby South Bagus Nakalca » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:15 am

Etrusci Imperium wrote:So I ask you, what is the point when it is for nothing in the end?

The point is that you get to decide what the point is. Like, whatever you want, really, anything! Have a great day! :bow:

User avatar
Caligolus
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 45
Founded: Dec 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Caligolus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 am

"Life has no meaning. It is up to us to give it meaning." - Me

Basically, I go more the existentialist route.
A fantasy nation. Welcome to the Holy Empire of Caligolus, where we have legionnaires and muskets. Our septiremes will sail the endless oceans, armed with cannons, while our crusaders and inquisitors kill the heretics. All is for the glory of the Emperor!

A 17 civilization, according to this index that is made of asparagus. Needless to say, this nation does not represent my actual views.

NS stats used: Economy, Industry: Arms Manufacturing, Industry: Mining, Industry: Retail, Law Enforcement, Niceness, Religiousness

User avatar
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister
 
Posts: 3374
Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 am


Well, you can also watch this one. Who doesn't like MLG videos anyway.
Last edited by Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Shikihara
Diplomat
 
Posts: 890
Founded: May 07, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shikihara » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:18 am

Etrusci Imperium wrote:So I ask you, what is the point when it is for nothing in the end?


The experience.

The great meaninglessness of the whole cosmic game is something we have to confront, and it gives us the ability to grow and develop our short yet unique existence in the universe.
Hegel wrote:“Spirit certainly makes war upon itself - consumes its own existence; but in this very destruction it works up that existence into a new form, and each successive phase becomes in its turn a material, working on which it exalts itself to a new grade..”

Shikiharan Factbook
Lesbian, Environmentalist, (mostly) Social Democrat, Nationalist, and Japanophile.

User avatar
Aillyria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5026
Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aillyria » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:38 am

The single meaning of life is to serve God (swt), that's it. It's the only reason we even exist here.
Conserative Morality wrote:If RWDT were Romans, who would they be?
......
Aillyria would be Claudius. Temper + unwillingness to suffer fools + supporter of the P E O P L E + traditional legalist

West Oros wrote:GOD DAMMIT! I thought you wouldn't be here.
Well you aren't a real socialist. Just a sociopath disguised as one.
Not to mention that this thread split off from LWDT, so I assumed you would think this thread was a "revisionist hellhole".

L/R: -5.38 L/A: +2.36 8values: Theocratic Distributist
I am female, Sorelianist, Sufi Muslim, Biracial, Murican
USN Vet, Semper Fortis dirtbags!!!

User avatar
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister
 
Posts: 3374
Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:41 am

Aillyria wrote:The single meaning of life is to serve God (swt), that's it. It's the only reason we even exist here.

very long sigh, given that I'm an atheist

User avatar
Neanderthaland
Minister
 
Posts: 2332
Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:44 am

Aillyria wrote:The single meaning of life is to serve God (swt), that's it. It's the only reason we even exist here.

What an egomaniac.

Not sure about the meaning of life, but if there is such a thing as this God of yours, I think a pretty good use of our time would be to destroy it.
Last edited by Neanderthaland on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

User avatar
Caligolus
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 45
Founded: Dec 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Caligolus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:44 am

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:
Aillyria wrote:The single meaning of life is to serve God (swt), that's it. It's the only reason we even exist here.

very long sigh, given that I'm an atheist


very long sigh from me as well, given that I'm pagan
A fantasy nation. Welcome to the Holy Empire of Caligolus, where we have legionnaires and muskets. Our septiremes will sail the endless oceans, armed with cannons, while our crusaders and inquisitors kill the heretics. All is for the glory of the Emperor!

A 17 civilization, according to this index that is made of asparagus. Needless to say, this nation does not represent my actual views.

NS stats used: Economy, Industry: Arms Manufacturing, Industry: Mining, Industry: Retail, Law Enforcement, Niceness, Religiousness

User avatar
Delberz
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Jan 15, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Delberz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:45 am

The answer is: 42

User avatar
Caligolus
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 45
Founded: Dec 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Caligolus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:46 am

Delberz wrote:The answer is: 42


Yes. Yes it is.
A fantasy nation. Welcome to the Holy Empire of Caligolus, where we have legionnaires and muskets. Our septiremes will sail the endless oceans, armed with cannons, while our crusaders and inquisitors kill the heretics. All is for the glory of the Emperor!

A 17 civilization, according to this index that is made of asparagus. Needless to say, this nation does not represent my actual views.

NS stats used: Economy, Industry: Arms Manufacturing, Industry: Mining, Industry: Retail, Law Enforcement, Niceness, Religiousness

User avatar
Major-Tom
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8216
Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:47 am

A disclaimer, philosophy is not my strong suit. However, I believe there is no objective meaning to life. I mean, for me, there just isn't. But to me, the silver lining is, we can all find meaning to our existences and use that to become successful, to help others, to help ourselves understand who we are, and that's good.

I guess that would make me a sort of existential nihilist, but frankly, I could be wrong, I'm not sure.
White Trash Hipster- Flagstaffer - Swimmer - Hiker - Powered by Caffeine and Nicotine
Factbooks
Pro: Social Democracy, Unions, Civic Nationalism, Environmentalism, Anti-Establishment Politics, Higher Minimum Wage, Anti-Interventionism, Marijuana Legalization, Progressivism.

User avatar
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister
 
Posts: 3374
Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:48 am

Delberz wrote:The answer is: 42

SHIT, I FORGOT ABOUT THAT!!!

Jk, I'm discussing serious philosophy here.
Last edited by Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aillyria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5026
Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aillyria » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:48 am

Neanderthaland wrote:
Aillyria wrote:The single meaning of life is to serve God (swt), that's it. It's the only reason we even exist here.

What an egomaniac.

Not sure about the meaning of life, but if there is such a thing as this God of yours, I think a pretty good use of our time would be to destroy it.

I think the greatest use of humanity's time would be to destroy this world, tbh.
Conserative Morality wrote:If RWDT were Romans, who would they be?
......
Aillyria would be Claudius. Temper + unwillingness to suffer fools + supporter of the P E O P L E + traditional legalist

West Oros wrote:GOD DAMMIT! I thought you wouldn't be here.
Well you aren't a real socialist. Just a sociopath disguised as one.
Not to mention that this thread split off from LWDT, so I assumed you would think this thread was a "revisionist hellhole".

L/R: -5.38 L/A: +2.36 8values: Theocratic Distributist
I am female, Sorelianist, Sufi Muslim, Biracial, Murican
USN Vet, Semper Fortis dirtbags!!!

User avatar
The Xenopolis Confederation
Minister
 
Posts: 2661
Founded: Aug 11, 2017
Anarchy

Postby The Xenopolis Confederation » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:49 am

To me, the meaning of life is that which we can choose for ourselves. Ultimately, you can give your life whatever meaning you desire as it is your life. You don't really have anything else of note, because once you lose your life, you lose all your other stuff too. However, I think if you base your life around destroying the meaning of life for other by violating their rights, you are incorrect and should be stopped.
Last edited by The Xenopolis Confederation on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Liberty, Liberalism, Capitalism, Secularism, Minarchism, Equal opportunity, Direct Democracy, Windows Chauvinism, Psychedelic Rock, Live and let live tbh.
Against: Authoritarianism, Traditionalism, Socialism, Autocracy, (A)Theocracy, Macs, "The ends justify the means," Collectivism in all its forms.
Economic: 4.0
Social: -8.0
If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
NS Stats should be taken with a pinch of salt, but they're not too far off. Policies are way off though.
I'm a 17 year old Australian male who tries to think intelligently about things but fails, as we all do. I'll regret this in 2 years tops.

User avatar
Imperium Romani
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Dec 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Romani » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:49 am

Aillyria wrote:The single meaning of life is to serve God (swt), that's it. It's the only reason we even exist here.

The problem with the religious explanations of life, or at least for me, is that a God wouldn't need little things to do stupid shit while they watch. And "serving God" is subjective each religion and person. Islamist extremists believe they're serving their God, so is their purpose in life to kill themselves for their God?

Personally, I think that life may have no meaning and just is. Optimistic nihilism, good shit.

User avatar
The Xenopolis Confederation
Minister
 
Posts: 2661
Founded: Aug 11, 2017
Anarchy

Postby The Xenopolis Confederation » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 am

Aillyria wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:What an egomaniac.

Not sure about the meaning of life, but if there is such a thing as this God of yours, I think a pretty good use of our time would be to destroy it.

I think the greatest use of humanity's time would be to destroy this world, tbh.


That's just about one of the few things that you can't make the meaning of your life. You're the exact opposite of correct.
Pro: Liberty, Liberalism, Capitalism, Secularism, Minarchism, Equal opportunity, Direct Democracy, Windows Chauvinism, Psychedelic Rock, Live and let live tbh.
Against: Authoritarianism, Traditionalism, Socialism, Autocracy, (A)Theocracy, Macs, "The ends justify the means," Collectivism in all its forms.
Economic: 4.0
Social: -8.0
If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
NS Stats should be taken with a pinch of salt, but they're not too far off. Policies are way off though.
I'm a 17 year old Australian male who tries to think intelligently about things but fails, as we all do. I'll regret this in 2 years tops.

User avatar
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister
 
Posts: 3374
Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 am

Imperium Romani wrote:
Aillyria wrote:The single meaning of life is to serve God (swt), that's it. It's the only reason we even exist here.

The problem with the religious explanations of life, or at least for me, is that a God wouldn't need little things to do stupid shit while they watch. And "serving God" is subjective each religion and person. Islamist extremists believe they're serving their God, so is their purpose in life to kill themselves for their God?

Personally, I think that life may have no meaning and just is. Optimistic nihilism, good shit.

You should go watch my link on it. 2nd post.
Last edited by Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Neanderthaland
Minister
 
Posts: 2332
Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 am

Aillyria wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:What an egomaniac.

Not sure about the meaning of life, but if there is such a thing as this God of yours, I think a pretty good use of our time would be to destroy it.

I think the greatest use of humanity's time would be to destroy this world, tbh.

But there are so many others.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Axoton, Crookfur, The Huskar Social Union, Yahoo [Bot]

Advertisement

Remove ads