NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Protecting Minority Languages

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alpha Cassiopeiae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpha Cassiopeiae » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Altique wrote: I refuse to add to the school curriculum mandatory study of foreign language. We support any endeavors to promote language study and foreign cultural study as long as our citizen doesn't feel compelled to do it.
"You are not required to teach foreign languages and you may require immigrants to learn the national language. You may not prohibit citizens from using or learning another language."
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Albinus Krantz
General Ambassador to the World: Marian Novak

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:38 am

Alpha Cassiopeiae wrote:"You are not required to teach foreign languages and you may require immigrants to learn the national language. You may not prohibit citizens from using or learning another language."

"Learning and using. How are you going to mandate that they be allowed to use a foreign language without forcing someone in your nation to learn that language to be able to translate things for them, especially given that language is one of the anti-discriminatory triggers of the Charter of Civil Rights? How are you going to give that weird language person fair treatment in the justice system if no-one in your nation has the slightest idea what they're saying? How are you going to give proper and equal education to their children, if they only use the weird language that nobody in your educational system understands? How are you going to get their informed consent on medical procedures on them or their children and other wards, if you can't understand them and they can't understand you? Mandating the right to use any language they want triggers a whole host of problems that will eventually lead to you being forced to teach that language at least to someone so that you can fulfill the mandates of existing resolutions."
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

United Provinces of Kekistan
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby United Provinces of Kekistan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:10 pm

To us of the United provinces a comittee also seems redundant, that aside we have voted Aye on this proposal and will funtion in law and spirit already as if it was accepted

The problems given above in the case where someone may want to use own linga and not the primary can be solved by designating a linga jurisdictia, the allowance for language use in personal life is there (be it without guarantee anyone else speaks it), but in jurisdiction either the de facto language is used or by translation, if neither would be possible the right to remain silent applies.
Last edited by United Provinces of Kekistan on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crosovo
Political Columnist

Founded: May 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Supporting the Creation of World Assembly Language Society

Postby Crosovo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:06 am

Greetings!

The Kingdom of Crosovo is pleased to hear that this proposal had been given to the WA Floor because just like the proponent, the KC is also upholding the value of multilingualism all throughout the WA.
It has also been the program of the current 2nd Government of Crosovo to value and to study, analyze, develop the minority languages within our country's ethnic groups for the purpose of our Historical and Cultural Affairs.

In response to your proposal, the Ministry of Culture and the Arts supports your proposal to create WALS and will commit ourselves to help, develop, and prosper this body in the future. Provided, that we shall have a treaties for whatever legal purposes it may serve.

Nick Johanns
Minister, National Culture and the Arts
Government of the Kingdom of Crosovo

NOTED BY.

Anthony Churchwitch
Minister, Foreign Affairs
Government of the Kingdom of Crosovo

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 am

Protecting Minority Languages was passed 16,681 votes to 3,620.

OOC: Grats for passing this and for ruining your national budget by paying for everyone's drinks at the Strangers' Bar. :P
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Crosovo
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Crosovo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:09 am

Upon the approval by my colleagues in this resolution granting the Protection of Minority Languages and therefore creating the World Assembly Language Society which has gathered more than 16K vote, the Government of the Kingdom of Crosovo now ask what to do next and what are the current measures that are being taken for the full implementation of the approved resolution.

We will appreciate if we will be enlightened accordingly. Thank you.

Anthony Churchwitch
Kingdom of Crosovo

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 am

"Congratulations!"
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Founded: Aug 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 am

Crosovo wrote:Upon the approval by my colleagues in this resolution granting the Protection of Minority Languages and therefore creating the World Assembly Language Society which has gathered more than 16K vote, the Government of the Kingdom of Crosovo now ask what to do next and what are the current measures that are being taken for the full implementation of the approved resolution.

We will appreciate if we will be enlightened accordingly. Thank you.

Anthony Churchwitch
Kingdom of Crosovo

Minister Anthony Chuchwitch,

The newly founded Language Society will set the specifics of its agenda at its own discretion. Upon establishment, the Society will start contact with local organizations and member states to initiate the language survey, where appointed linguists and other experts will determine the vitality of the all languages found in the World Assembly. Here also the Society will hopefully detect any malignity towards minority languages, if it exists.

In conjunction with this, staffers will begin coordinating with members states and prominent experts in the field of sociology, psychology, linguistics, and other individuals to analyze the relationship between a state's law and its effect on spoken language, which from this research it is hoped that useful guidelines can be established on how best to have a state interact with the existence of minority languages. The society will also be in contact with revitalization organizations and local communities regarding preservation efforts of endangered languages.

I'm sorry I couldn't give a more comprehensive account of measures taken at this earlier stage.

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Founded: Aug 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 am

I want to thank everyone who helped write and debate this resolution. Special thanks to the forum commenters throughout these three months who helped me develop this proposal from its rough initial draft to what it is now, and a very special thanks to the delegate and WA Ministry of TNP for assisting me in the campaign. This was certainly a high point in my NS experience.

Crosovo
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

My replies were deleted

Postby Crosovo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:53 pm

How come?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives