NATION

PASSWORD

POTC: The Isle of Ghosts (OOC & Sign-ups)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

What is your favorite POTC film?

Curse of the Black Pearl
46%
Dead Man's Chest
15%
At World's End
8%
On Stranger Tides
8%
Dead Men Tell No Tales
23%

Total votes : 13

South Sutalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

POTC: The Isle of Ghosts (OOC & Sign-ups)

Postby South Sutalia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:27 am

The Isle of Ghosts

A terrible curse haunts these forsaken waters...
1750; in the following months after the destruction of the Fountain of Youth by Spanish forces, there has been a chain of mysterious disappearances in the Caribbean Sea. Entire ships vanish into the mist without a single trace. Rumors spread quickly as sailors succumb to fear, circulating tales of monsters and mermaids and, worst of all, the restless souls of the dead. Some have theorized that the fountain's loss has created a breach between the mortal plane and the afterlife. Others believe Blackbeard, the infamous pirate captain, is seeking revenge from beyond the grave. No one can claim certainty on these frightening notions. There is even an old myth of Jolly Roger and his undead horde.

The strange activity soon caught the attention of the Brethren Court, only for the ruling Pirate Lords to go missing as well. Their whereabouts remain unknown. Numerous other pirates, both respected and feared, have arisen to fill the void left behind. Many are seeking the elusive Shipwreck Cove in order to end the curse once and for all. Others are using the chaos to their advantage, looting rival pirates and dodging the naval powers of Europe as they try to squash this new threat. There is a great uncertainty if piracy can survive in the Caribbean for much longer. Nevertheless, a new Brethren Court is forming. They have been tasked with defeating the Armada of the Damned before it is too late.

Conventional weapons are assumed to have no effect on the ghouls that lurk beyond the veil. Voodoo practitioners have found great success in sharing their arcane secrets, employing witchcraft to 'bless' the feeble armaments of buccaneers, for a hefty price of course. A handful of pirates even hire these vile priests and priestesses to join their motley crew. Yet with all the commotion stemming from their fiendish magic tricks, the newly-formed Isle of Ghosts contains a swarm of horrible creatures as terrifying as the Kraken. No pirate is safe in these dark times, but there is hope as the brave sail for the horizon. Yo ho, a pirate's life for me!

Fifth Brethren Court:
  • Black Sea-TBA
  • Caspian Sea-TBA
  • Mediterranean Sea-TBA
  • Pacific Ocean-TBA
  • Atlantic Ocean-TBA
  • Caribbean Sea-TBA
  • Indian Ocean-TBA
  • South China Sea-TBA
  • Adriatic Sea-TBA
Factions:
Pirates have no true affiliation, preferring to utilize 'honor among thieves' as a means of diplomacy and interaction. Having little organization brings both advantages and disadvantages, as evading the enemy is relatively easy while arranging an offensive attack is nigh-impossible against a larger foe. They live by the Pirate Codex, known to all as the Code. However, it's more of a set of guidelines than actual rules. A true pirate hesitates little to stab one another in the back if it suits them. Raiding, pillaging, and plundering is how these scoundrels earn their pay.

The coffers of the English crown are filled by a massive corporation that keeps a solid reputation for untold brutality. The company takes the role of maximizing profit not only through trade, but also with the assistance of their own private military that disdains piracy in any form. They answer only to the king. While their numbers are fearsome, the company also employs elite mercenaries called the Black Guard, who are unmatched in skill. Cooperation with the British Empire's traditional forces is a necessity after Lord Cutler Beckett perished in a fateful battle against a pirate fleet. While their power has faded, they are no less determined to recapture their lost glory.

The Spaniards are unique to history, having reinvented the idea of colonization and exploration for generations to come. They are equally abhorrent of piracy as the British, but they are plenty willing to set aside their intense hatred when a valuable privateer comes along. When a pirate loots a rival nation's vessel, the Spanish are happy to look the other way, or even fund future expeditions to those who swear fealty to the crown. They have no tolerance for practicing magic whatsoever. Christian blessings are favored more when combating the supernatural. The Inquisition holds incredible political sway over the empire's religious and social affairs, and privateers would be wise to remember this.

For as much as the powers of Europe squabble over territory, the French have turned conquest into an art. They trail behind the British in terms of global influence, but they should not be underestimated. Their rivalry with Spain runs especially strong, so much so that the French have made usage of their own privateers to forever maintain their grasp on the Americas. France will accept nothing less than total dominion. However, there are higher expectations with regards to the treatment of colonies. French privateers must uphold their personal honor if they desire success. Assimilation is looked upon more kindly than subjugation, and adopting French culture is a valued trait.

Races:
Dwelling primarily in Whitecap Bay and Isla Sirena (the latter of which is a realm of Davy Jone's Locker), merfolk are predominately female. Mermen are extraordinarily rare. Because of this, mermaids interact with human sailors frequently, although it is mostly to devour them after possessing them with their song. Few souls can resist their angelic voices. Still, there are a handful of exceptions where mermaids can be helpful toward humans, even acting as willing companions after learning to walk on land. The merfolk are powerful allies, scouting or plundering sunken ships at their leisure. Their arms are equipped with tendrils that can ensnare foes easily.

There is no singular class of undead which typify the rest. There are skeletons, voodoo zombies, ghouls, and vampires that spread blight across the world of the living. Whatever the case may be, they often retain both their intelligence and their sins. Only the ghouls are feral in this regard, lacking any mind whatsoever, and guided solely by a hunger for flesh. Zombies are controlled by a voodoo priest/priestess for their own nefarious schemes. Skeletons and vampires generally have free will, but are at the mercy of the curses which prevent them from reaching the afterlife. The forces responsible for creating the Isle of Ghosts appear to be something different entirely.

The rise of lycanthropy is not linked to voodoo, strangely enough, but rather the blasphemous rituals carried out in central Europe. It is the epitome of witchcraft. Werewolves at night are far stronger than any mortal man, but are inhibited by a rush of primal instincts that cloud their judgement. In the daylight, they are vulnerable. Their true potential is unleashed during a full moon. Transformation is an obscenely painful process which takes place over the course of minutes, leaving them open to attack if they have not found a place to hide. Silver is heavily toxic to a werewolf. Becoming infected from a bite is tremendously rare, as few survive the razor-sharp teeth and claws of the lycan.

Rules:
1. GM's/OP's word is law.
2. No godmodding.
3. Be respectful to your fellow shipmates players while OOC.
4. No one-liners. Any IC posts must be a minimum of a paragraph.
5. Please keep the violence level standard to what is seen in the POTC films, or in other words, PG-13.
6. As this takes place before Dead Men Tell No Tales, do not incorporate lore seen after On Stranger Tides.
7. Do not be afraid to make suggestions! Feedback is always welcomed.
Code: Select all
Name:
Appearance:
Faction:
Bio (3 paragraphs minimum):
Weapons:
Magic (optional):
Skills:

Code: Select all
Ship Name:
Appearance:
Class:
Cannons:
Speed:
Crew Capacity:
Flag:
Last edited by South Sutalia on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Blessed are the young, for they will inherit the national debt." -Herbert Hoover

Quamunsia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Quamunsia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:44 am

Tagged.
Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it.

Vulkata II
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:47 am

I like the sound of this.

Tag.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future. -Adolf Hitler

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
The player is currently:Clear|Busy
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

Arctica-Aleutia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arctica-Aleutia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:49 am

Possible tag. I don't always have time to keep up with these things, so no promises, but if I make an app you can expect a (mostly) friendly vampire.
NS Stats
Ask Questions Here!
CANONICAL CHANGE: Wyatt is now 29, not 19.
NEWS: Army helping Ottoman Republic forces attack the last ISIS strongholds in the region -- Prussian kaiser meets with President Larisa aboard the battlesteamer Kennedy -- This year's October Festival a grand success, larger than ever due to this being the 100th anniversary of the October Revolution -- Geologists express concern about submarine mining operations near Aleutian fault lines -- Egalitarian Front wins election, at least one more year for President Larisa
~Pray for John McCain~

South Sutalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby South Sutalia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:51 am

Vulkata II wrote:I like the sound of this.

Tag.

Welcome aboard matey!
Arctica-Aleutia wrote:Possible tag. I don't always have time to keep up with these things, so no promises, but if I make an app you can expect a (mostly) friendly vampire.

No worries, it's a pleasure to have folks stop by regardless.
"Blessed are the young, for they will inherit the national debt." -Herbert Hoover

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:57 am

OP, what do you think of the idea of Hounds of God?

Werewolves who serve God rather than the Devil, maybe another variant of the werewolf but shares the same fear and hatred against them?
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_

South Sutalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby South Sutalia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:01 am

Vulkata II wrote:OP, what do you think of the idea of Hounds of God?

Werewolves who serve God rather than the Devil, maybe another variant of the werewolf but shares the same fear and hatred against them?

I'm intrigued! Is there any more information on them or is it your own idea?

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:05 am

South Sutalia wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:OP, what do you think of the idea of Hounds of God?

I'm intrigued! Is there any more information on them or is it your own idea?

I originally found the idea from Neil Gaiman in his book "The Graveyard Book" and I googled Hounds of God a while ago and found out it was more of Swedish folklore.

Here's the page.

_[' ]_

South Sutalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby South Sutalia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Vulkata II wrote:
South Sutalia wrote:I'm intrigued! Is there any more information on them or is it your own idea?

I originally found the idea from Neil Gaiman in his book "The Graveyard Book" and I googled Hounds of God a while ago and found out it was more of Swedish folklore.

Here's the page.

This sounds extremely cool! How would we incorporate it into this current story?

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:33 pm

South Sutalia wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:I originally found the idea from Neil Gaiman in his book "The Graveyard Book" and I googled Hounds of God a while ago and found out it was more of Swedish folklore.

Here's the page.

This sounds extremely cool! How would we incorporate it into this current story?

There could be an isle or village full of the Hounds of God that many are aware of and when the full moon comes a nearby village or soldiers could find them.

Just a suggestion.

_[' ]_

Quamunsia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Quamunsia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Vulkata II wrote:
South Sutalia wrote:This sounds extremely cool! How would we incorporate it into this current story?

There could be an isle or village full of the Hounds of God that many are aware of and when the full moon comes a nearby village or soldiers could find them.

Just a suggestion.

That reminds me of Scooby Doo: Zombie Island.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:04 am

Just saying. If the IC is up in one or two days and I don't have an app, it's because I'm celebrating Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all.

_[' ]_

Quamunsia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Quamunsia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:37 am

Vulkata II wrote:Just saying. If the IC is up in one or two days and I don't have an app, it's because I'm celebrating Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all.

Merry Christmas!
I'll see what I can get up in the meantime. It'd be neat to play as a ghost.

South Sutalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby South Sutalia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:49 am

Quamunsia wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:Just saying. If the IC is up in one or two days and I don't have an app, it's because I'm celebrating Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all.

Merry Christmas!

Eh, standard undead are okay, but ghosts as playable characters might veer into godmodding very quickly.

Arctica-Aleutia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arctica-Aleutia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:52 am

South Sutalia wrote:
Quamunsia wrote:Merry Christmas!

Eh, standard undead are okay, but ghosts as playable characters might veer into godmodding very quickly.

A long time ago (like a year ago, actually) I was in another pirate-ish RP, and you could play as a ghost. Maybe you could balance them out by giving them disadvantages, like being unable to touch things, being susceptible to curses or something, I don't know.

I'll try to think of something to write for an application today.
NS Stats
Ask Questions Here!
CANONICAL CHANGE: Wyatt is now 29, not 19.
NEWS: Army helping Ottoman Republic forces attack the last ISIS strongholds in the region -- Prussian kaiser meets with President Larisa aboard the battlesteamer Kennedy -- This year's October Festival a grand success, larger than ever due to this being the 100th anniversary of the October Revolution -- Geologists express concern about submarine mining operations near Aleutian fault lines -- Egalitarian Front wins election, at least one more year for President Larisa
~Pray for John McCain~

South Sutalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby South Sutalia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:47 am

Arctica-Aleutia wrote:
South Sutalia wrote:Eh, standard undead are okay, but ghosts as playable characters might veer into godmodding very quickly.

A long time ago (like a year ago, actually) I was in another pirate-ish RP, and you could play as a ghost. Maybe you could balance them out by giving them disadvantages, like being unable to touch things, being susceptible to curses or something, I don't know.

I'll try to think of something to write for an application today.

Could you give me a link? I'm not against the idea, I just want to make sure it's fair for everybody.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Intriguing.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Izbien
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Izbien » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Tagged

South Sutalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby South Sutalia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:Intriguing.

Good to see you pop in!
Izbien wrote:Tagged

:hug:

Izbien
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Izbien » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Name: Vona González of Madrid
Faction: Spanish Empire
Bio:
Vona was born in the city of Madrid. He was of noble birth and as such he was in a place in society. At a young age he was sent to a military academy and learned well. He placed high in his class and excelled in sword craft. His parents had wanted him to join the military, but Vona had dreamed of going to the New World.

He accomplished this by becoming an apprentice to a Navy officer who was a friend of the Gonzalez's family for sometime. He thought the inter workings of the ship. He worked as a Navy Officer become he was given the opportunity to be a Privateer and man his own ship, the Meria a clipper made in Cádiz.

He then sailed to the New World to plunder any English or French ships that dared cross his path. At this point in his life he was not a Vampire, or a Vampiro, he was just a Spaniard ready for piracy. It was on a trip to Havana that took him into this dark world. The trip was internally pleasant. He went to the brothel to enjoy himself. However it was a whore that bite him and made him a Vampire. It was only after that nights tussle did he realize that had happened. The paleness and sharp teeth and the pain that his touch of his fingers brought to others. The whore explained herself but was promptly murdered by Vona, he was unforgiving of anyone. Vona and his crew stormed out of Havana in a hurry and the Governor whom had been blackmailed by Vona to covered it up had been able to get away without the Crown knowing of what he had done.

Vona has no guilt of what he did. To him she was dirty Mestizos whore he was a unholy thing. Vona however has not reconcile his own vampirism.
Weapons: Rapier of Spanish Steel, 2 Spanish Blunderbuss
Magic:
- Vampire Touch: As the touch of his hand, Vona can suck the life force from an enemy making which can stun them with shock or inhibit with pain. It revitalizes Vona for a short about of time.
- Bat Transformation: As a precaution Vona can change into a bat to protect from holy magics. It can be onset by holy words or prayer directed at him but can be also intentionally put on to escape from tricky situations. It takes about 30 secs to change.
Skills: Vona was trained with a Rapier at a young age as per being of noble Spanish birth. He was also taught the art of sailing as for his training to privateer in the New World.
Connections: Navy Officer in Cadiz (Family Friend), Havana Governor (Blackmailed)
Last edited by Izbien on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Izbien
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Izbien » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:40 pm

South Sutalia wrote:
Izbien wrote:Tagged

:hug:

:hug: :hug:

Izbien
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Izbien » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:02 pm

Ship Name: The Maria
Class: Clipper
Cannons: 18 on Port and Starboard
Speed: 16 knots (30 km/h)
Crew Capacity: 125
Flag:

(ALSO HERE GOOD REF http://brethrencoast.com/Pirate_Ships.html)

Izbien
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Izbien » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:04 pm

I'm going to make a merfolk character so if anyone want to have some previous connections with her such as lover, partner, or maybe anything. That would be cool.

Eclius
Senator

Founded: Oct 24, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Eclius » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Tag, will get application in later
We do NOT use NS stats since it's not the most accurate reflection
Eclisian Herald News Network
||Local man sent to hospital after eating a pack of 14 years old Kraft mac'n cheese||Schools to resume operation in coming weeks||All domestic flights resumed||10% off vacation to Democratic East Asia today, book yours today!||

South Sutalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby South Sutalia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Ship Name: King's Wrath
Appearance:
Class: Corvette
Cannons: 20
Speed: 11 knots
Crew Capacity: 130
Flag:

Last edited by South Sutalia on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse