NATION

PASSWORD

Why do people still watch 2012 the movie?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Why do people still watch 2012 the movie?

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:26 am

Just why?

Whats the point of it any more sense it's set 5 years ago and spoiler alert, the world didn't end in 2012.

Also, the movie is a bit shit, so why do major next works just put it on?

What you think A&F?
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norightonia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Norightonia » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:33 pm

Do people still watch it? I figured networks just air it because they already paid for it and the licensing fee was cheap?

Remember when TNT used to play Batman &Robin like all the time from the late 90s to early 2000s?

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:00 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Just why?

Whats the point of it any more sense it's set 5 years ago and spoiler alert, the world didn't end in 2012.

What you think A&F?

Because it's fun to watch. The disasters, the entertaining factors, arguably it's better than Geostorm.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Nantoraka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nantoraka » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:04 am

Here’s a better question to ask

Why wouldn’t people, or more specifically, anyone in the world, watch 2012?
Last edited by Nantoraka on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:06 am

Nantoraka wrote:Here’s a better question to ask

Because it's still fun to watch movie based on a debunked conspiracy theory (Well, not really, since it's not a half-made assumption but clearly a prophecy made by the Mayans) that shook about half of the world's populace?
Last edited by The Knockout Gun Gals on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

Destructive Government Economic System
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Destructive Government Economic System » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:07 am

It's actually a pretty good movie for the disaster genre. You can't forget the legendary scene with lunatic Charlie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCkLhEJa4sQ

Still watching 2012 at random times, and not because I worry about the end of the world. It's definitely not going to occur due to Earth collapsing from the inside like the movie projected.
"All I wish is to see the world burn."
-The Great Uniter and Beast of the DGES
(By the way, the DGES is a servant to DEAREST LEADER of Psychotic Dictatorships.)
Just your typical guy who wants to have fun. Don't take this nation seriously,
ever.
I DO NOT use NS stats!
Keshiland literally wrote:I would give it a no. A country that lies about how free, or how great, or how humanitarian it is can never be developed. Example, NK lies and says they are democratic and are not, the US lies and says we are free yet we incarcerate millions for a medical plant. See we are basically a larger more populated North Korea.

NewLakotah
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby NewLakotah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:08 am

Because its a dumb fun action movie, perfect for network television. Plus I'm sure licensing fees were cheap for the movie as well.
"How smooth must be the language of the whites, when they can make right look like wrong, and wrong like right." ~~ Black Hawk, Sauk

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." ~~ Tecumseh

Free Leonard Peltier!!

Nantoraka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nantoraka » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 am

Nantoraka wrote:Here’s a better question to ask

Because it's still fun to watch movie based on a debunked conspiracy theory (Well, not really, since it's not a half-made assumption but clearly a prophecy made by the Mayans) that shook about half of the world's populace?

Yes?

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 am

Nantoraka wrote:

Yes?

Then that's the reason.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:54 am

Erm, why wouldnt we watch it? Nobody in his right mind thought that the whole Mayan Apocalypse mumbo-jumbo was anything other than superstitious nonsense anyway.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Norightonia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Norightonia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Baltenstein wrote:Erm, why wouldnt we watch it? Nobody in his right mind thought that the whole Mayan Apocalypse mumbo-jumbo was anything other than superstitious nonsense anyway.

Sadly way too many people on my facebook feed in 2012 were in their right mind.

Glad to see some things don't change in 5 years

Topoliani
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Topoliani » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Because people like it

/thread
Topoliani: A Post-Apoc Medieval Nation in the Levant

I don't use NSstats, nor is this nation a representation of my views.
IC Year: 1210 AD.
Undergoing its third retcon. The third time's the charm, right?

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:04 am

Norightonia wrote:Do people still watch it? I figured networks just air it because they already paid for it and the licensing fee was cheap?

Remember when TNT used to play Batman &Robin like all the time from the late 90s to early 2000s?

2012: The Movie was probably so cheesy that no wonder the licensing fees are so low, or possibly bundled with other big titles as a licensing freebie.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

LimpBizkit
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby LimpBizkit » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:38 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Just why?

What you think A&F?

John Cusack makes anything watchable. simple as that. /s

I think the movie isn't bad. i'd say above average for a disaster movie. i can 100% see why people hate it, and agree with them. but it has such a great cast (except those kids) and is just all around fun to watch. not great to analyze, but a good time killer when there's nothing to do.
The Creeping Barrage is the name given to a method of firing artillery. At the beginning of Trench Warfare the basic tactic was to fire lots of artillery at enemy trenches for a sustained period of time and to stop firing just before the infantry attacked. However this method wasn’t very successful as the German had built strong bunkers and were able to man the defences in the time between the bombardment ending and the infantry getting to the trenches. A solution to the problem of the time lag between the bombardment and the arrival of the infantry was to change the way that the artillery was fired. Instead of just aiming at the same target the creeping barrage moved forward at a prearranged pace.
*that's not hitler in the flag
Antidisestablishmentarianist and proud

Gaozu
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaozu » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:26 am

Topoliani wrote:Because people like it

But why? :p

I guess it's an easy thing to watch? Personally I thought it was awful, but I don't really watch movies much anyway.
I don't have any energy for sig creation rn, I'll do it later. ;_;

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016

Postby Hatterleigh » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:28 am

I don't think people do still watch it
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

Ainsleyia
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ainsleyia » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:50 am

I personally didn't really like it, but I watch it for the sake of looking at the CGI effects.
I also found the story to be quite enjoyable, yet I wasn't really that excited with the climax of the movie tho.
Last edited by Ainsleyia on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marinade. That's the solution.
Our Glorious Leader

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction