NATION

PASSWORD

Ein Kleines Motorrad I: Land of Turtles and Fungi (Private)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Ein Kleines Motorrad I: Land of Turtles and Fungi (Private)

Postby Rupudska » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:26 pm

10:33 AM, Local Time
Western border of Turtleshroom

(OOC: Interested in the idea of this thread? Check out the OOC here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=430361)

In a certain land, near the border of a certain nation, was a lone dirt road cutting through dense jungle.

The land was relatively flat with a few hills, but the small changes in altitude (coupled with the natural elevation of the land above sea level) did little to dispel the sweltering heat and humidity of the region. Birds, insects, and other animals provided a cacophony of noise that could be heard over nearly anything.

The road weaved around all but the gentlest of hills, clearly made for beasts of burden not built to handle regular treks at an incline. Even so, the reddish line made a somewhat straight path through the jungle. It was wide enough for two large trucks to pass by each other in either direction with room to spare, but not much. Rainfall and animal activity had robbed it of all but a semblance of smoothness.

There was the rumble of an engine and the birds around the road made a sharp increase of noise before taking off in a panic at the encroaching noise. A lone black motorrad (Note: A two-wheeled vehicle, only to note that it cannot fly) with a large, heavily-laden sidecar, emerged from behind a corner. The sidecar was laden with cargo, as was the motorrad itself which had its rear seat removed to store extra luggage. Its engine rumbled openly, heard through (but not over) the sound of the jungle, as if the motorrad itself was complaining over the road. Its rider was a short woman with red hair that flew freely from behind her grey helmet, which did not cover her face - that task fell to her square goggles. The face was attractive, and of a woman in the prime of her youth, no older than twenty-five at the most. She wore a red unzipped jacket over a white shirt (stained with sweat already at this hour), with grey jeans and black boots and gloves. Around her waist was a belt featuring two holsters for two handguns - one a pistol, one a revolver.

The rider drove along the road as fast as she dared, which wasn't terribly fast with all the holes. Even so, she was occasionally shaken or even forced to stop by potholes and mud patches, indicated by the mud on her boots and the tires of the motorrad. In this situation, the all-weather tires simply were not up to the task, and even the extra grip provided by a weighted-down third wheel was not enough.

A radio was strapped to one side of the motorcycle and was playing music to the helmet through a wireless connection. Due to the helmet's somewhat-ineffective sound insulation, the song could be heard outside of it if one listened carefully.

<<Shoefly, dragonfly, get back t'your mother.
Pick up a flat rock, skip it across Green River.>>

[The nerve of this nation, thinking itself first world with major roads like this.]

Indeed, the motorrad was grumbling, and in Bavarian no less.

[We are not technically in Turtleshroom yet, Tannhäuser. And they are in a civil war, they have more important concerns than infrastructure.]

[No excuse, Your Royal Highness! If nothing else they should at least level it out!]

[That I can agree on,] she grumbled as once again they hit a pothole, nearly throwing the rider off. [And I thought I told you to call me 'Hanna'.]

[Well you also said you were my rider, not my master, and that I should do as I please. Ergo, I shall, Your Royal Highness.]

They rode in unsilence for several minutes. The radio played another Creedence Clearwater Revival song, before changing to Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues. The road slowly crested a hill, which the rider known as Hanna (who was apparently royalty of some nation, in this case the princess of the Holy Romagnan Empire of Karlsland) stopped the motorrad known as Tannhäuser at its peak. The road continued for several kilometers, descending down the hill in an arc before a straight shot towards a distant river that could just be seen through the trees. This river whose name Hanna was unaware of marked the border of Turtleshroom, and was a simple wooden thing. Hanna seemed somehow less comfortable than her motorrad with crossing it.

[Are you sure this is the only road into Turtleshroom?]

[At this point? From the airport we left? Yes, Your Royal Highness. The last road that would have taken us to another entryway was fifteen kilometers behind us and also uses a wooden bridge. The nearest stone bridge on the border is fifty-three kilometers away, and the nearest steel bridge is one hundred ninety-seven kilometers in the other direction.]

Hanna sighed, and she started Tannhäuser down the road again.

[A shame that motorrads cannot ride over water.]

[You could always use your broom and carry me over, Your Royal Highness.]

[The broom cannot support your weight, and I see no reason to expose my use of magic to an openly anti-magic nation for such a mundane reason.]

[Yet you took a motorrad and not an unintelligent motorcycle, Your Royal Highness.]

[That's different. Every nation without sealed borders knows that travelers often visit knows that motorrads talk. It's a normal thing.]

They continued as slowly as ever, up to the bridge. Miraculously they only got stuck once. More miraculous still, the bridge was stabler than expected, and they soon reached the simple guardpost that marked this entrypoint to the nation of Turtleshroom. Hanna quickly fished her passport, driver's license, and Royal-class WA International Visa and readied them for whoever (or whatever, this being a nation of humans, turtles, and mushrooms) was stationed at the post.
Last edited by Rupudska on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:13 pm

{ OOC: Holy crap dude, you really did some research on that. You even used my version of the old map. Almost everyone entering TS entered by rail from the north, so expect a tremendous shock on the border. }

{ OOC: Here's a handy guide to your location and the national borders of TurtleShroom. You chose a bad area to enter, as you're near the so-called "Zim Belt". That means you're dealing with good old fashioned jungle guerillas. }

{ OOC: I hope this thread goes a long time, because there's a lot of TS to see. :lol: }
Last edited by TURTLESHROOM II on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 pm

The sky was overcast and the jungles soaked as the wind blew through the esteemed royal's hair. The torrential rain that had soaked the country during an unusually extended and intense Wet Season seemd to have paused in this area of the country, for the first time in many weeks. It was a subdued, muted atmosphere only broken by the unusually quiet chatter of the parrots and other diverse animals in the canopies and across the landscape. Even these animals seemed quiet, in anticipation of rain that was considered extenuating even for a tropical rainforest.

Travel by personal vehicles on land was so rare that the government didn't even bother to erect a border sign on the state line.

The small building was wooden with a tin roof. On its exterior, a window-mounted air conditioning unit blew cool air into the building. The shack was about nine or ten feet in height, with an eight foot door. Next to the AC unit, affixed to the wall of the shack, was a sink with a deep basin and an extendable nozzle. Directly to its right, metal loop, like that of a circular shower, was suspended just under the roof. It held an opaque curtain over a slab of concrete. Behind the shack, an outhouse was clearly visible. The outhouse had two doors horizontal doors, like a smaller refridgerator/freezer combination. The lower door was for the turtles and the high door for the men. A flagpole rounded out the rustic grounds, twenty feet tall with the national flag of TurtleShroom proudly whipping in the wind.

This small Border Patrol shack, to the surprise of the Princess, was clearly not being manned by a Border Patrolman. Instead a tanned, somewhat unkempt Asian man, wearing a loose white T-shirt and khaki cargo shorts, sat in the shack with an AK-74 slung across his shoulders. A dark green sash also hung similarly from the shoulder to the hip. Written in large, black letters on the shirt was "DEPUTIZED LAY GUARDSMAN". He was leaned back against a wall on the two hind legs of a wooden chair.

The sound of the motorcycle startled him awake as he righted his chair and leaned out the window, firearm in his grip. He exited the shack, revealing that he was barefoot. He had left his bulletproof vest inside. Before he could say "who goes there", he was greeted with the stunning figure of the well-endowed, regal looking woman riding a fat hog. Her outfit was practical, fully covering her body up to her neck line, but it did nothing to hide her figure. TurtleShroomers don't see white chicks like that every day. He blushed slightly as his slanted eyes subtly scoped her out, clearly not expecting anyone this lovely to end up here on a road.

This woman had the posture and attitude that dominated a room. It exuded authority and privilege. Was this a bandit?

{ OOC: Colored text indicates a foreign and non-English language. Italics indicate thought, unheard by the characters. }

"Good morning.", he spoke.

He immediately cringed, realizing in his rush that he not only came out here without shoes on and put himself in harms way, he also used the wrong language! This isn't the Japanese Dystopia anymore!

"BY HONG XIUQUAN, THAT WAS JAPANESE YOU DOLT!"

"Good morning."

There. English. He spoke in an extremely thick accent, though his English seemed fluent. The Princess may or may not have been able to identify it, and his appearence, as that of a Chinaman. Coastal, perhaps. He relaxed his shoulders as he noticed the papers she had in her hand.

"It's quite an unusual sight to see anyone travel by road across the national border. I don't know how you can take these dirt roads without using the bus or the rails. They have mechanisms to make that smooth. Heh."

He was trying to strike up small talk, but his nervous laughter and accent did nothing to make the situation less embarassing for him.

"Anyway. Papers, please."

The Princess showed her papers. These included authorization from the Junta to enter, papers proving her status and origin, passports, and other documentations required for safe passage into TurtleShroom. The guard's slanted eyes widened when he read the name.

This was the expected guest.

"Your Grace!" the Asian man said, bowing before rising and extending a hand.

The Princess' royal background, hopefully, gave her the ability to recognize that he was seeking to take her hand, not to shake her hand. This was an universal TS custom. Perhaps she hoped that he wouldn't kiss the backside of her hand, but no matter, as no such thing occured.

"Yes, we've been expecting you. A bulliten was sent out by your arrival. We honestly thought it was a joke, Your Grace, that you would visit our country in the midst of a horrible Civil War. We're not too far out from the Fascists' controlled section, and the Celestial Father knows that the Zim Belt is active here."

He smiled a weary smile.

"Fortunately, we've taken the time to arrange a security detail for you. The Bureau of Nomadic Data, which has mission creep in spite of its name, will be here momentarily to ensure you safe passage throughout the country. My partner took a walk to clear her mind, and she should be back shortly."

He nodded.

"It will be a little bit before anything comes along, so I'm afraid you will have to wait."
Last edited by TURTLESHROOM II on Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:"Good morning."

There. English. He spoke in an extremely thick accent, though his English seemed fluent. The Princess may or may not have been able to identify it, and his appearance, as that of a Chinaman. Coastal, perhaps. He relaxed his shoulders as he noticed the papers she had in her hand.

"It's quite an unusual sight to see anyone travel by road across the national border. I don't know how you can take these dirt roads without using the bus or the rails. They have mechanisms to make that smooth. Heh."

He was trying to strike up small talk, but his nervous laughter and accent did nothing to make the situation less embarrassing for him.

"Anyway. Papers, please."

The Princess showed her papers. These included authorization from the Junta to enter, papers proving her status and origin, passports, and other documentations required for safe passage into TurtleShroom. The guard's slanted eyes widened when he read the name.

This was the expected guest.

"Your Grace!" the Asian man said, bowing before rising and extending a hand.

The Princess' royal background, hopefully, gave her the ability to recognize that he was seeking to take her hand, not to shake her hand. This was an universal TS custom. Perhaps she hoped that he wouldn't kiss the back side of her hand, but no matter, as no such thing occurred.

"Yes, we've been expecting you. A bulletin was sent out by your arrival. We honestly thought it was a joke, Your Grace, that you would visit our country in the midst of a horrible Civil War. We're not too far out from the Fascists' controlled section, and the Celestial Father knows that the Zim Belt is active here."

He smiled a weary smile.

"Fortunately, we've taken the time to arrange a security detail for you. The Bureau of Nomadic Data, which has mission creep in spite of its name, will be here momentarily to ensure you safe passage throughout the country. My partner took a walk to clear his mind, and he should be back shortly."

He nodded.

"It will be a little bit before anything comes along, so I'm afraid you will have to wait."

Hanna was, honestly, surprised to have found anyone at all at a guard station so out of the way, let alone a human. She would have expected one of TurtleShroom's more cold-blooded (or no-blooded) denizens to have taken such a post - or would that be bigotry? She wasn't entirely sure. Maybe his partner was - it'd be a bit of a shame if both of the first people individuals she met in TurtleShroom were humans, wouldn't it?

Regardless, the moment soon passed. She would have a security detail which, while she truly wanted to avoid having such a thing, she suspected talking her way out of having one would not be worth the effort.

She smiled warmly.

"I'm fine waiting. To be honest, I did not expect to arrive so early - normally there's much more traffic at the airport I left from, if Wikitravel is anything to go by, but there was almost nothing."
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:08 pm

{ OOC: I meant this to be a female turtle and edited it accordingly. Disregard the pronoun error. }

The Asian human laughed, his thick accent somewhat getting in the way as he had casual small talk with the Princess.

"There's nothing there out west since Haiz fell, Your Grace. Did you see the ruins? Find any leftover tech? I assume that you landed in North or South Auskral if you passed through on the road. Mackonia's after that, then Haiz. Terra nullus, nothing but little city-states and anarchists in the land of the lizards. Also, you have a lovely motorcycle."

He was interrupted by another, rather soft voice.

"Hey Paing! I'm back!"

From the edge of the glade, the human and the Princess turned to see a river cooter turtle crawling out of the thick jungle undergrowth. This turtle, like all of the adult sentient turtles in TurtleShroom, were immense, far larger than any normal turtle and more akin to the famous giant tortoises in more exotic parts of Nationstates. In fact, this turtle was larger around than a shopping cart, over five feet long, and about as tall as a golden retriever.

In the distance, the turtle outstretched his neck as far as he could go, to a towering height of five feet as he surveyed what seemed to be another human. The turtle lowered its neck back to its regular position, in line with the ground, having finished her surroundings.

"That the backup we've been waitin' for? Glob knows with the Borduh Patrol gone, we could use some more arms."

As he got closer, the Princess' initial observation was true. That was one huge turtle. Ping waved as if nothing was amiss. The massive turtle had white ribbons arranged like cake layers around her shell, with a bandanna-like cloth wrapped around the very front of her shell, much like a guide dog would have. It, like the human's shirt, read "DEPUTIZED LAY GUARDSMAN".

Though she did not have lips, the Princess could recognize a smile when she saw it.

"Anastasiya, meet Her Grace, Princess Hanna Bayern"- Ping read out her name very slowly -"Heir Apparent to the Holy Romagnan Empire of Karlsland Rapudska. Your Grace, meet Anastasiya Kaitlyn."

Anastasiya stretched her neck upwards and then bowed with it, lowering her two front feet as she did. Returning to her normal stance, she stuck her neck up a few inches and looked back up to the Princess. As was normal with turtles, Anastasiya's eyes were almost entirely black, but unlike normal reptiles, there was that distinct "spark" of sentience that reflected off her black pupils.

"Golly, we knew ya'll were comin', didn't expect ya'll to come by road. Anyway, it's my honuh to stand before ya'll, Yer Grace. By the way, that's a beautiful motor-sickle!"

Ping nodded.

"The Bureau of Nomadic Data should arrive shortly."

As if on cue, two trucks showed up, each carrying four creatures.

"-and there they are."

{ OOC: This is quoted from a story five years ago. It's still canon. }

TurtleShroom wrote:…four agents from the Ministry of Domestic Affairs, clad in immaculately white suits, also approached. Each showed their badges and symbols of authority.

Nearby were three equally shiny, white pickup trucks.
The seal of TurtleShroom was affixed to the hood, as was an unfamiliar seal with the words "BUREAU OF NOMADIC DATA" on the doors. A bumper sticker on each read "I BREAK FOR GYPSIES".

[...]

"We are special agents from the Ministry of Domestic Affairs. This area of the desert is prone to bandits, foreign and domestic, and crossing this dirt road into TurtleShroom is rare."

[...]

"......TurtleShroomian regulations require us to usher nomadic groups coming in and out... ...for twelve hours..."

He took out a legal pad that was spotless and unblemished, just like the rest of his getup. Even his sunglasses were free of specks, and his accent was subdued.

"When performing these duties... ...we excercise full police power..."

The truck doors opened and three humans stepped out. All three humans were white males, each over seven feet tall and broad-shouldered. Unlike your normal for TurtleShroomer, these men all wore thick sunglasses in place of the usual cokebottle spectacles.

{ OOC: Ethnically, TurtleShroomer Whites are a three-way mix between Slavs, Anglo-Saxxons, and aristocratic stock from the Confederate States of America. As stated in my factbook, Slavic features and Anglo-Saxxon coloring are the most common combination; most TurtleShroomer Whites have brown hair and can grow beards easily. Blonde hair, though, is extremely rare.)

The fourth and final agent was a grey, sentient mushroom. Floating three inches above the ground, this sentient fungus was about three feet tall (this was short for a mushroom). A powder blue, folded up garment, floating in front of him and held by the mushroom's telekinesis was unfurled as the others spoke. It was a powder blue robe. Another one of the humans held little minatures of the Legation Quarter, which handles foreign representatives, and a suprisingly accurate flag of the Princess' homeland. He went to work and duct taped the flags, with the Legation Quarter going first, onto the front and back end of the motor cycle.

The tallest human spoke. His accent was very subdued.

"Merry Christmas, Your Grace. We represent the Bureau of Nomadic Data and will be escourting your motorcycle and your motorcad-"

He paused, raising his eyebrows in mild surprise.

"You're alone, Your Grace? Well, thank goodness we're here then. If the route you provided is still where you want to go, you'll be heading through some dangerous territory, since you're just outside the Fascist area and are deep in the Zim Belt."

The other agents looked at each other and shrugged. The mushroom handed the robe to the Princess.

"This official robe is used by Ambassadors and Legates in the Legation Quarter. In your case, Your Grace, donning it grants you the protections, privileges, and immunities of an Ambassador. This means you cannot be jailed for most crimes, including capital ones, and that the primary punishment we can execute if you misbehave is banishment. Before you ask, yes, you may wear it over your riding suit, and yes, you must were this robe to exercise Diplomatic Immunity. It's for your safety and immunity, Your Grace."

He paused as he looked at the dimensions of the unfurled robe, mentally comparing it to the Princess' voluptuous body. He tugged at the collar of his dress shirt, his eyes thankfully and whispered harshly to the mushroom.

"This thing's going to be almost as tight on her as her riding suit!"

"Dude," the mushroom quietly hissed back, dropping decorum, "she's five foot four. That's the largest we've got for that size. You know TurtleShroomian women aren't built like that, especially since five foot four is a puberty growth spurt."

"So you didn't custom order one?"

"Didn't have time, sir."

"Mushroom sticks." the agent said, clearly frustrated. He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"This robe should fit you, but... well, it's not going to be loose. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

Ping grinned as he quietly admired the Princess' appearence and imagined her with the robe on. She'd look great in that.

"Anyway. The little flags we put on your motorcycle allow you to park anywhere at any time, and grants you Diplomatic Immunity from traffic laws. We're sorry about the duct tape, but don't you worry."

He smiled faintly as he held up a small container the size of a film canister.

"We planned ahead. This'll clean off anything the tape leaves behind when we leave, and if it doesn't come off, the TurtleShroomian government will pay to have it cleaned. With this, we're ready to roll. We have your schedule and we've alerted the rebel authorities about your arrival in the next little town over. It'll take about two hours, but you'll be in Carlton by high noon."

The mushroom chimed in.

"It's my hometown!"

One of the human agents and the mushroom agent parted got back in their truck and flipped on the flashing lights, cranking the vehicle. The tallest human nodded to the remaining human as they walked over to the truck, but not before they handed her a walkie-talkie.

"This allows you to speak to us without having to stop the escourt. If you need anything, if you want to stop, or wish to make a detour, let us know. You will be allowed to ride your motorcycle. I'll be in front of you, and the other truck will be behind you. Please do not pass or go behind either of us; this position to ensure we have a full three hundred sixty degree view to prevent you from being hit by any Zim Belters or hostile forces."

He cranked the truck and gestured to the Princess to start her fat hog.

"We're ready. Do you wish to leave now, Your Grace?"
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Hanna tried (and failed) to resist the urge to visibly cringe at the usage of duct tape on Tannhauser. It wasn't even the proper kind for motor vehicle usage, let alone on the outside of a bloody motorrad - the usual plastic/fabric-backed kind sold in one-mark stores, rather than the proper aluminum-backed variant used in motorsport and vehicle repairs.

She failed more noticeably when they said that they would be providing escort. She neither wanted nor needed one, she was here on pleasure not business! She came here for the purpose of exploring Turtleshroom as it was for the everyman, not as a Princess.

Were she not in a good mood, the final straw would likely have been the suit. There was no way in Hell it'd last the trip to the next town, let alone across Turtleshroom. She would have to hope the next town had a tailor at least, because with her bust it was liable to rip if she breathed in too deeply. Still, she put the garment on, and-

[Bahahahahaha! You look like a balloon about to burst, Your Royal Highness!]

She ignored her motorrad and remounted it, clipping the walkie-talkie to the side of her motorcycle as the robe made accessing her belt somewhat inconvenient. She froze momentarily as she realized this would also make getting to her guns inconvenient.

Oh well. She had a motorcade now. May as well make it useful for something.

She revved Tannhauser after starting him up again.

"I am ready. Let's go."
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:54 pm

The TurtleShroomian humans blushed when they realized the robe was even more ill-fitting than they thought. They did like what they saw, though.

"Don't worry, if the robe is ripped or dirty, it's still valid no matter what. You won't be charged if it tears, obviously, as we're the ones that had you put it on."

Ping snapped his fingers as he noticed the Princess was armed and may have trouble with reaching them under the robe. He rushed into his shack and came back with a large, leather, thick toolbelt, with several holsters of different sizes, plus loops for normal tools.

"This was a spare belt that was left in the shack after the construction crews left, for any human Border Patrolman who wasn't dressed well. It... uh..."

The Asian human rubbed his hand on the back of his head.

"You're going to have to wear it around your waistline, because it'll be loose on your hips."

This was very uncomfortable for everyone involved.

"Yeah, he's right." Anastasiya commented. "TurtleShroomian human females ain't got anything close to your mammaries. Don't know their size myself, 'cause I ain't human, but nothin' like that. Hips, well, definitely nothin' like yours, but enough to recognize they're girls. For humanity, the immigrants are better off than the natives/"

Ping nodded, still blushing. Anastasiya was not human, so she saw nothing awkward or embarassing speaking about humans and their appearences and bodies. Ping and the others, were nowhere near as comfortable with addressing the elephants in the room.

"Anyway, this belt has holsters for pistols and revolvers. I hope you'll be able to put your guns in there for easy drawing. If you have a rifle or shotgun, there's a shoulder strap to hold those in the shack."

Ping handed her said strap.

As the Princess cranked her motorcycle, the other TurtleShroomers lined up their two trucks and they quickly sped off, sirens drowned by the roars of the motorcycle. Ping and Anastasiya waved as the dust was kicked up, and they were off.
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 pm

If the motorcycle didn't have world-class shock absorbers, the flat earthen road would nonetheless be bumpy for the good Princess. The trucks, like TurtleShroom's famous busses, designed for roads such as these, were smooth and stable on the worst of roads. Nonetheless, she deftly glided her motorcycle across the path, with the thick jungles on each side and the dark, clouded sky overhead. Wooden power lines were the only accompaniment. There were no streetlights for miles and miles on end.

Every now and then, the jungles and power lines would part to a glade where a small farm homestead was growing some sort of cash crop, or a subsistence farmer was living off the land. Occasionally, a TurtleShroomer of some species would be outside, and would wave or acknowledge them as they roared past, smiling warmly and hoping that wasn't a bandit.

After a good while, the Princess' walkie-talkie in the sidecar, the size of a brick and with a long antenna, alerted her that the BND motorcade wanted to speak to her.

"Hello, Your Grace." the voice on the other end said over the noise. "We heard you wanted to see some of the everyday life in TurtleShroom as opposed to just going to landmarks and such. Thus, we decided we'd stop in Carlton and show you what my partner says is the best place a human can dine. Pray to God or your god that you aren't a vegetarian. TurtleShroomer humans have an unique blend of cultural foods, and a very, very meaty pallete!"

The motorcade pulled into town, as the dirt road transitioned to gravel and then to sweet, sweet asphalt. This town had one traffic light, one paved road, and several gravel pathways leading in all directions, aligned in a square pattern. If the Princess could guess, there had to be a few hundred to a few thousand creatures living here. The city hall was a three story brick structure in a one-horse municipality of one-story storefronts, trailer houses, and ranch-style homes. Interestingly, the Princess noted that there were no cars in any driveway, and that the two had several bus stops and a train station.

The BND directed the Princess down a gravel pathway and pulled up to what seemed to be a seedy buffet. The only parking spaces were out back for the freight trucks to deliver ingrediants and the like, so the BND parked in the grass with the motorcycle.

"Here we are. Khan Bubba's Buffet."

The building had a rather tacky, colorful Mongolian theme with Mongolian tughs hung next to the wooden doors. It looked like something out of a theme park and was hardly authentic.

The sign read "KHAN BUBBA'S BUFFET: TRADITIONAL TURTLESHROOMIAN CUISINE", alongside "SELECTION AS BIG AS THE SIBERIAN STEPPES", followed by "BEST BORSCHT IN THE UNIVERSE".

This was an odd combination of foods. They entered and faced a mushroom wearing a sleeveless deel robe and a nametag greeted them. Soft Christmas music played over the speakers as the mushroom smiled.

"Merry Christmas! It's good to see ya'll today."

He paused.

"Titus, welcome back! You know where to go."

The BND mushroom smiled. He informed his party that he was going out back to enjoy the mushroom cuisine, where the garbage was to be decomposed.

"Ain't you a fine young female. Nice robe! We don't see many humans like you. Heck, ya'll might be the first tourist in Carlton in years, if not decades. Anyway, since ya are new here, let me explain this. A buffet is a restaurant in which an infinite amount of food is served at the buffet tables back yonder."

The mushroom leaned to the left, directing the Princess' eyesight to the serving tables.

"Customuhs take these plates here and go over to the tables, and serve themselves all the food and fixin's they want. When they're done, they get more. Khan Bubba's is the best in authentic TurtleShroomian cuisine. If ya'll don't have nothin' like traditional Mason-Dixon cuisine, you're gone love this! 'Course, it wouldn't be TurtleShroomian cuisine if it had no good Russian meals. Like our sign says, we have the ABSOLUTE BEST borscht in the universe. Nothin' BEETS our beet stew!"

He laughed.

"We got all the good stuff here. Also, since you're a tourist, I need to give the standard note: ain't nothin' here alcoholic. No Slavic dish, no nothin', ain't nothin' got booze."

He smiled and rang up the costs.

"That'll be four Skillets each . Thank ya'll kindly and Merry Christmas."

A BND agent reached into his pocket and pulled out a key ring with several miniature, iron frying pans of different colors on it. He removed twelve of them and placed on them on the host's counter with a clang.

"Thank ya'll kindly. Ya'll want water, sweet tea, Coke, or somethin' else?"

The agents and the Princess selected their drinks and went to a run-down table that had booths with torn apholstry. The restaurant was rather dim, like a shady bar, but the smiles and pleasant staff made it seem less dishonest. The walls had dark tropical wood panelling halfway down, and wallpaper the other way up. The wallpaper was a cream color with mathcing horseshoe and floral motifs. The windows were clearly dated, as was the decor. Mongolian themed items, pictures of horses, and other such Asian knicknacks decorated the area. The floors were concrete, coated in thin, burgundy carpet. Above the booths were East Asian-style paper lanterns, with bulbs inside.

The Agents set to work getting their food. The lead Agent chose baked potatoes, steak, country ham, and a bowl of okroshka soup. A second agent chose fried chicken, black-eyed peas, garlic bread, and collared greens, deciding against the Slavic offerings. The last one brought in several bowls of soup. One of them was borscht, one was a Russian noodle soup with rice and beef, and one was shchi soup.

As they and the Princess began eating, they decided to strike up conversation.

"Are you enjoying your meal, Your Grace? Is there anything you wish to look into or see while we're in or around Carlton?"
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:38 pm

(OOC: Please try to slow down the pace of things, allow Hanna to respond to other characters - you moving along straight through conversations to the food kinda restricts what I can reply to. Unless you're trying to avoid dialogue quick-posting in which case 'ok lol you do you')

Hanna pointedly ignored the comment about her figure as she attached the belt to her waist - it wasn't that she cared, as several trips to clothing-optional beaches in Sankt Martin and the Baltic coast evaporated much of that - but that she didn't need telepathy to know that the other humans did, and presumably so would most other humans in the country. So she didn't respond, besides putting the belt on.

Hanna seemed, for a moment, disappointed that there would be no alcohol served with the Slavic cuisine - then mentally chastised herself for so quickly forgetting that this is Turtleshroom, and the disdain for alcohol in this country was equal in strength to the love of alcohol in Bavaria, that is to say infinite.

She was again surprised when the payment was announced and provided at the beginning of the meal - which was probably a Turtleshroomian quirk, even when in the Deep South of Liberion the payment was delivered at the end, so that a tip could be calculated (which raised another question in her mind, was she supposed to tip here?)

For a drink, she had selected an RC Cola - which was apparently only available in Turtleshroom and the Deep South of Liberion due to similar cultures. For her own meal, she selected farm-raised grilled catfish, with a side of cornbread biscuits, french fries, and and potato salad. A bit heavier than her usual fare, but not by much - Hanna was a fan of sweeter doppelbock beers, and those could be considered a meal in and of themselves. So the heavy sides were to balance out her deprivation of beer.

"It's good," she got out between bites. "Personally I would not have considered using this much garlic, but it works."

She pondered the agent's second question while taking a quick sip of her cola.

"To be honest, I don't know exactly what to do here; no offense but Turtleshroom's GPS coverage is... spotty, at best, so I'm unable to locate much of anything outside the major cities without a map. I'm sure the shops would be interesting, as would a regional market were it the right season for it."
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:06 pm

{ OOC: I apologize. We post at near-opposite time periods, and are possibly separated by hours of time zones. Exchanging short dialog between one-another would mean dragging the story by weeks, or even months. That's why I've ran the story as I have been running it.}

Pleased that the Princess enjoyed her meal, one of the Agents smiled, chuckling a bit as he sat down with another helping of food.

"Your Grace, there are parts of the jungle that haven't been surveyed whatsoever! We haven't even mapped our entire country."

He smiled.

"We do have satellites, though, and a limited space program. If the sky was clear, I could show you the endless, unpolluted skies of the heavens over TurtleShroom, but I guess that won't come to pass. GPS, though, has only mapped the cities and the Postal Routes, which are our only highways. You all will likely be on those roads sometime in your adventure."

The wind rustled the tropical rainforest plants all around and behind the city as the sounds whipped against the restaurant building. Time passed as everybody continued eating.

"You're definitely one of the first high-ranking people touring TurtleShroom to ask to see the shopping. I mean, I guess it's a girl thing, but sure, we can show you some of that. We'll definitely remember that on your travels, I promise."

The others nodded, enjoying their meals. From time to time, passing TurtleShroomers would take subtle glances at the Princess, the men with admiration and the females with, as much as they'd hate to admit it, the sin of envy. The white, female humans were worse off than their Asian counterparts in their coveting, but neither could compete with her. Women like that normally frequent the few major college towns and tourist traps.

One teenaged human, a long and black-haired white wearing an orange dress shirt and long pants, was especially hilarious during the meal. He had thin peach fuzz on his lips and thick eyebrows. Unaccustomed to anything remotely like the Princess, he took the oppurtunity brought by nature's call to politely excuse himself from the table. He slowly went to use the restroom on the other side of the dining hall. During his walking, he quietly and humbly took in the Princess' appearence, smiling faintly in ad-

WHAM!

The kid ran smack into the door, his heavy spectacles crooked across his face as he momentarily regained his balance. The calm, peaceful, respectful- if not old-fashioned and stuffy -atmosphere of the building disspiated, as the entire restaurant burst into uproarious laughter. The boy blushed furiously and stole away into the bathroom. The Agents were laughing too. In a rather unprofessional manner, one of the humans lowered their head onto the table and gently beat the table with a balled fist, as his constitution had crumbled at the spectacle before them.

One of the busboys, a grayish-blue mushroom, noticed why the teen ran into the door and whispered to the Princess. He clearly knew she was foreign and, showing compassion, worried that she would be embarassed that everyone in the country would be variously looking at her.

"Don't worry none, ma'am. I know it's rather intimidatin' when all the folks 'round you are watchin', but you need not fear. The humans 'round here aren't picturin' ya'll naked or wantin' ya outta' wedlock. Culturally, we think of it like looking at a work of art, not at a potential fornication target. Consider it flatterin', and worry you none, ain't no one gone touch ya or grab ya or whatever it is them decadent foreigners do to a lady. 'Sides, if they do, someone ain't 'gonna walk or talk quite right after a bypassuh whoops his behind."

He looked to the agents, somewhat confused by their presence and immediately recognizing them as officials of the Bureau of Nomadic Data. An awkward silence followed as the busboy mushroom removed the empty plates and placed them in the rolling car as he refilled their drinks. Leaving, the lead agent, who by now had calmed from the laughter, smiled to the Princess.

"I hope that busboy said something nice. Anyway. So, is there anything you want to talk about, Your Grace? Anything that you wish to ask or learn about? I noticed you didn't exactly like to be rushed to a table."
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Hanna tried (and failed) to suppress a laugh at the poor teenager's expense, though she did manage to force it down to a guffaw, which she supposed was good enough. The busboy's comment struck her as a strangely obvious thing to say, but she did give the mushroom a silent nod in response.

"Actually, there is one thing I would like to talk about." She finished off her soda and handed it to the busboy, then motioned towards him with her head.

"This reaction I'm getting - I know, no offense, that Turtleshroom isn't famed for winning any Miss Universe pageants, technology lags behind much of the world here, and that tourism is rather low, but even in a small community such as this, I didn't expect me to be so... well..."

She paused to determine the word choice. Normally travelling as a mere Traveller and not a princess she wouldn't care too much, but the Turtleshroomian government's decision to treat her as a diplomat rather than a Traveller forced her to act... more like a diplomat than she normally would. She would not let them ruin her fun by making her play the diplomat completely.

"...head-turning. I would have at least expected the locals to have a general idea of what foreigners look like, if only foreign women."
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:40 am

The Agents nodded as the lead Agent spoke.

"Tourism's actually extremely high, for pilgrims and family tourists and such. It's not as bad in the big cities or tourist traps as it is around here, Your Grace. Carlton hasn't had foreign tourists in years. I guess I could put it that... you are a really... an extraordinarily good looking woman. I mean, foreign women with better... assets... than your average TurtleShroomer does get looks, but most women don't have... well, they aren't......... I'm sorry, Your Grace, I'm struggling to word this in a manner befitting the dignity of a Princess. I hope you can forgive the citizenry for being this way. TurtleShroomers aren't a lustful people at all, I swear it. It's more appreciation of 'quality', so to speak. Think of it as looking at a work of art in a museum."

He sighed.

"I'm so sorry. I hope this hasn't hurt your vacation, Your Grace."
Last edited by TURTLESHROOM II on Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:09 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:The Agents nodded as the lead Agent spoke.

"Tourism's actually extremely high, for pilgrims and family tourists and such. It's not as bad in the big cities or tourist traps as it is around here, Your Grace. Carlton hasn't had foreign tourists in years. I guess I could put it that... you are a really... an extraordinarily good looking woman. I mean, foreign women with better... assets... than your average TurtleShroomer does get looks, but most women don't have... well, they aren't......... I'm sorry, Your Grace, I'm struggling to word this in a manner befitting the dignity of a Princess. I hope you can forgive the citizenry for being this way. TurtleShroomers aren't a lustful people at all, I swear it. It's more appreciation of 'quality', so to speak. Think of it as looking at a work of art in a museum."

He sighed.

"I'm so sorry. I hope this hasn't hurt your vacation, Your Grace."

"Oh no, there's no need for you to apologize," said Hanna as she did a mild version of vocal backpedaling. "If this is the worst thing that happens to me while here in Turtleshroom it'd be so calm as to be downright boring. I was surprised, is all."

With the plates removed (and the payment already delivered at the beginning of the meal), Hanna saw no real reason to stay in the restaurant any longer. Sure she could talk to the agents, but that was what the walkie-talkie (and her telepathy if necessary) was for. And she didn't want to spend TOO much time here. She didn't have a schedule but she wanted to keep her national visits brief.

[You seem satisfied Your Royal Highness,] said Tannhauser.

[You seem disappointed.]

[Well it's not like I can smell, Your Royal Highness. But I can see, and sense things in other ways, and the nearest benzene station's oil quality is... hrm...]

[That bad?]

[Well it's not like Turtleshroom is known for luxury. Regardless, Your Royal Highness, where are we off to next?]

[The local shopping... district.]

[Street?]

[Most likely.]
Last edited by Rupudska on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:46 pm

{ OOC: TurtleShroom is known for oil. TS is the largest oil producer and exporter in its Region to the point that gas is $0.05 USD. }

{ OOC: Also, I haven't forgotten this story. I just have to take a long time because I have to create new places, faces, and in some cases, even new canon for my nation. This is a massive world building exercise. }
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:46 pm

The BND agents nodded as they finished their meal. Taking the Princess' tray once she had her fill, they dumped the scraps in the trash cans and placed the plastics and aluminium in recycling bins.

"We'd be honored to take you shopping. Carlton doesn't have anything, but we're a few hours from Axebundle, which is a major city. There's a lot there."

Getting in their trucks, they started their engines and prepared to escort the Princess to their next stop. It wasn't until about twenty minutes in that the skies, already overcast, grew darker and the wind blew through the jungles. The leaves rustled ominously.

Lightning split across the sky, arching from their left to right, at a distance in front of them. The sudden roar of the thunder was louder than the motorcycle and the truck engines combined. Speaking to the Princess, the BND agents and their guest slowed to a stop and got out, glancing at the sky.

"The rain's about to come back. I was hoping this wouldn't happen. Driving on a dirt road in the mud is easy for these trucks, but I doubt a motorcycle can take it; we should stop for the afternoon and hope the thunder and the rain will quietly pass us by. TurtleShroomers are renowned for their hospitality, so we simply need to find a residence. If things get creepy, well, we're all well-armed. Nothing is going to harm you, Your Grace. We swear this with our lives."

The agents pulled out what looked like a digital map machine, and looked at their location. The Princess, after some time, realized that was a really old martial GPS device. Did it work out here?

An agent pulled out what looked like a military locating antenna and held high as another affixed its wiring to the handheld console. For a few awkward moments, as a child would adjust a television antenna, the Agents climbed on the truck and held the antenna skyward. One of them seemed to be praying, hoping there would not be a lightning strike.

"Ah. We've got a signal! The map registers an address to our northwest. We turn up here. Let us hurry before the storm blows in."

Noticing the Princess looking at the machine, the agent smiled.

"We have GPS ourselves, but it's nothing as fancy as what your people likely have. Basically, this thing allows you to see your immediate area, interspaced with known roads or trails from updated maps. This is a military console, so in addition to what civilians normally use, it can also help you navigate by coordinates and it shows the topography of the terrain. You input your coordinates, a street name, or an approximate location from the nearest town and it'll show you a map of the area. The military surveyors update the thing every few months to a year. There's some parts of this jungle that are un-mapped, but otherwise, it's better than what your average TurtleShroomer has."

Nodding to the Princess, they got in their vehicles.

"Let's roll, Your Grace."

It was late afternoon by the time they arrived, and the sun was setting. The ride was far longer than they thought. Thunder would occasionally roll and a few drops of rain began to drizzle. The came around the corner and saw a glade.

Nestled near the treeline was a wooden home. The siding was grayed from age and it had a tin roof. A screen door and a screened-in porch were on its front, with a ceiling fan above it, spinning slowly in the breeze. A well was nearby, but no outhouse. That must have been his source of running water. A single wooden pole, with a light on top, illuminated the area in the darkening sky. That light would flicker from time to time, contrasting eerily with the glow of the windows. This was not a good place to stop, but the cloud-to-ground lightning that hit the jungle canopy behind them, and the deafening roar of the ensuing thunder, proved it was not going to be safe for long.

"Your Grace, it's considered an act of aggression for a layman or civilian to visibly open-carry in TurtleShroom- even a foreigner -so cover your weapons with the Velcro flaps on the holster pockets. Stay here while we see if this guy's bad news. There looks to be a shed right there with a canopy stretching out. Put your motorcycle over there, that it may not be damaged in the downpour."

The BND agents slowly approached the building, surveying their area. In the silence, broken only by the wind, they knocked on the door. There was no doorbell.

After a few minutes and a distant rumble of thunder, the door slowly creaked open. A TurtleShroomer White human, about six foot nine in height with shaggy black hair, opened the door. Wearing a white wife-beater shirt and a pair of blue jeans, he had a pronounced nose and a strong jawline. He pushed his heavy glasses up his nose and observed his guests. They showed their badges and immediately noticed the man was armed with a double-barreled shotgun.

"Sir, we're from the Bureau of Nomadic Da-"

"OH THANK GLOB, FINALLY SOME COPS. Please, come in. -and bring your girl too. I gots cameras on mah prop-ur-tee. She can leave the motor-sickle in the garage. I'm so glad they finally sent some out here. Didn't expect no Nomadic Datamen, but the po-po is the po-po, that's what mah grandmaw used to say."

There was a pause as the agents maintained a poker face. Thunder crashed and the rain began. For now, it was a steady shower.
The agents gestured for the Princess and stepped inside. They entered a narrow hall. Dated white wallpaper, slightly faded, depicting jungle flowers and parrots lined the walls from halfway up. Molding and trim were beneath that, forming neat wooden squares. To the left, an open archway lead into the living room and a further away arch into the kitchen were visible. To the right, several doors, all shut, likely lead to other rooms. To their direct front was a staircase that branched into two staircases, one to the left, and one to the right. This was a narrower house.

The homeowner was very surprised at the woman the agents had brought in. Not wanting to be impolite, he averted his eyes and focused directly towards her face. Outstretching his hand, he took the Princess hand over his, in normal custom, before bowing.

"Merry Christmas! It's a pleh-shuh to meet ya, ma'am. Ya'll must be hungry, it's almost six o'clock! Please, if ya may, let me cook ya'll somethin' to express mah hospitality. I don't get no guests most of the time. The livin' room's to the left there. Make ya-self at home."

He turned his back towards the kitchen, before pausing.

"Oh! I'm sorry, where are mah mannuhs? May I have the pleh-shuh of knowin all ya'll's names?"
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Hanna had expected storms. A sizable portion of Turtleshroom was tropical, after all, and tropical regions had frequent storms. Still, she had never taken proper military training in jungle storm conditions (the closest was when she was escorting bombers over Serbia and an unusually strong November storm hit), so she was surprised by the intensity.

It would've been majestic, had she been in a car and not on a motorrad. As it was, it was merely miserable. And deafening. Even before the rain actually reached them, it was hard to hear the radio over the crashing thunder.

[Your Royal Highness, we should stop soon,] said Tannhauser not seconds before the brake lights of the Turtleshroomian trucks came on. The small caravan of vehicles soon came to a stop on the dirt road, Hanna having to take extra precaution so as not to get stuck. As they finally rolled to a stop, the duct-taped flag fell off. Hanna just managed to catch it in time to keep it from touching the floor - she wasn't sure about flag codes in Turtleshroom, but in Karlsland it was considered disrespectful to let a flag touch the ground.

"The rain's about to come back. I was hoping this wouldn't happen. Driving on a dirt road in the mud is easy for these trucks, but I doubt a motorcycle can take it; we should stop for the afternoon and hope the thunder and the rain will quietly pass us by. TurtleShroomers are renowned for their hospitality, so we simply need to find a residence. If things get creepy, well, we're all well-armed. Nothing is going to harm you, Your Grace. We swear this with our lives."

"As I may have mentioned before, I am more than capable of defending myself, but I thank you for the sentiment."

The 'guard' as they were soon pulled out a primitive GPS system. Quite primitive, even featuring a square-pixel black and white LCD screen instead of color. In the darkness, Hanna struggled to read it, but the agents were capable enough to locate a nearby sheltering site. After climbing on top of the van. Which Hanna didn't react to, not at all, no sir. Tannhauser laughed, but she doubted they could hear him over the thunder.

"We have GPS ourselves, but it's nothing as fancy as what your people likely have. Basically, this thing allows you to see your immediate area, interspaced with known roads or trails from updated maps. This is a military console, so in addition to what civilians normally use, it can also help you navigate by coordinates and it shows the topography of the terrain. You input your coordinates, a street name, or an approximate location from the nearest town and it'll show you a map of the area. The military surveyors update the thing every few months to a year. There's some parts of this jungle that are un-mapped, but otherwise, it's better than what your average TurtleShroomer has."

That is... alarming. I'm starting to think it's a good thing I brought my own electronics. I doubt I'll see so much as an Atari or a color television until we reach Axebundle.

The sky continued to darkened as they rolled along. Midway through, Hanna had adjusted the radio to maximum, but even at full tilt Steppenwolf wasn't the easiest thing to hear over the thunder. Not helping the matter was the radio channel having a poor connection at this distance. Rain came down as the first few tendrils of the storm proper crossed the sky above, but at this point it wasn't strong enough to worth noticing. Still, Hanna hoped to get to this house before the storm proper hit - with this thunder, the roads would be impassable for hours, maybe days if the rain lasted long enough.

Hanna thought it a very good thing she was a good shot with a pistol.

The 'shelter' they found was...

A shack. Corrugated tin roof and all, complete with a single electric lamppost and a well - not even an outhouse. Wooden siding greyed with the weathering brush of time. A screened-in porch with a ceiling fan whose white paint was chipped at the tips and leading edge of the blades. All it needed was the rusted-out hulk of a Pontiac or a still-older Ford pickup truck and a Confederate battle flag, and she would've thought she was in the southern states of Liberion. She prayed beyond hope for indoor plumbing.

"Your Grace, it's considered an act of aggression for a layman or civilian to visibly open-carry in TurtleShroom- even a foreigner -so cover your weapons with the Velcro flaps on the holster pockets. Stay here while we see if this guy's bad news. There looks to be a shed right there with a canopy stretching out. Put your motorcycle over there, that it may not be damaged in the downpour."

Hanna nodded silently as she attached the velcro flaps as indicated. Tannhauser mumbled something about a lack of a ramp leading up to the porch.

[Are you certain the owner will even let you in?]

Tannhauser mumbled something about mud.

Thankfully their woes were unnecessary - the host soon revealed himself to be quite friendly towards police and government officials. Hanna thought there was something deeply ironic about that judging by the setting and appearance of the locale, but didn't say anything.

Tannhauser mumbled something about being a 'motorrad' and not a 'motor-sickle' but said nothing until Hanna wheeled him into the small garage - which Hanna found ironic since most Turtleshroomers reportedly did not have cars. This one did though - and she was close. Inside the garage was a rusty but clearly operational '47 Pontiac, in a combination of patina and yellow.

The interior of the house was in somewhat better condition than the exterior. The wallpaper was dated (and in Hanna's opinion, ugly) but merely faded instead of peeling, and the trim was in decent condition with a clear lack of mold. The kitchen was frighteningly 70s, complete with a harvest gold refrigerator.

"Merry Christmas! It's a pleh-shuh to meet ya, ma'am. Ya'll must be hungry, it's almost six o'clock! Please, if ya may, let me cook ya'll somethin' to express mah hospitality. I don't get no guests most of the time. The livin' room's to the left there. Make ya-self at home."

"Merry Christmas, sir," said Hanna as the man wasted no time heading into the kitchen. She headed to the living room, not entirely sure what to expect as the living room wasn't fully visible from her angle, though she could see a boxy couch in what once had been green, and a weary white carpet.

"Oh! I'm sorry, where are mah mannuhs? May I have the pleh-shuh of knowin all ya'll's names?"

One of the agents was about to answer for her, but Hanna swiftly gave him a gentle elbow to the side and shot him a "let's not cause a scene by telling him I'm a bloody Princess of a powerful nation if we can't help it" look.

"Hanna Albrecht. I work alongside the Karlsland embassy."

It wasn't a lie. Excluding her titles, 'von Bayern', and many middle names, that was her name.
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:49 am

"Welcome, Miss Albretcht," the man said. "I'm Doctuh Hezekiah Brian. Had I expected company, I wouldn't be dressed like the-is. Excuse me for one moment. The livin' room's down the hall. Please, ya'll may enter any room ya wish. Just don't open any thang that's closed without askin'."

The steady rain against the tin roof provided a peaceful background to their exploration.

The Nomadic Data agents accepted the invitation and looked in the closest room to their right. It was an office. It had wood paneling halfway up, with similarly dated wallpaper of a different pattern, leading to molding on the top, as was so at the bottom. A larger ceiling fan was present here as well.

The computer on the desk had a flat-screen monitor, to the surprise of the agents, as well as a calculator with a printing roll, and stacks of papers. The computer, otherwise, seemed normal; it had a simple black tower underneath the desk. Floppy disk drives and a CD drive were present as well. This computer was somewhat higher end, though, as it had multiple USB ports and a slew of SD card readers on its front. (Most TurtleShroomian PCs only had USB ports on the back.) The mechanical keyboard and serial mouse were expected. The PC seemed to be running the TS adaptation of Windows Ninety-Eight, which was still updated and supported in the country.

The desk was huge, clearly made of tropical wood, with multiple drawers. It was one of those hutch-based desks with a rolling wooden cover that could be moved over the desk. The papers on the desk were stacked neatly, with large filing cabinets against the walls throughout the room. The most distinct feature, however, was the wall-to wall bookshelves, forming a monolithic block, broken only by a square hole where the window rested. The books were huge and noticably scientific; these were medical books, apparently subject to the brain.

On the hallway next to the door, the Princess and the agents could observe a simple certification.

TO THE BEARER OF THIS CERTIFICATE, THE STATE HOSPITAL SERVICE DOES HEREBY RECOGNIZE DOCTOR HEZEKIAH ELIMELECHVICH, MD, PS, ESQUIRE, AS THE RESIDENT PSYCHOSURGEON OF THE SILENT HALL STATE LUNATIC ASYLUM AND THE PSYCHIATRIC FACILITIES THEREIN

CERTIFIED IN ALL SURGICAL CORRECTIVE PROCEDURES FOR MENTAL ILLNESS, IN SEDATION, IN STERILIZATION, IN ANESTHESIZATION, AND IN THE PRESCRIPTION OF ELIXERS, TONICS, ORAL MEDICATIONS, SUPPOSITORIES, AND TREATMENT

REGISTERED ON THIS SECOND TEUSDAY OF SEPTEMBER, IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD ONE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED EIGHTY SIX

STATE HOSPITAL SERVICE
HAIL VICTORY

"That logo always creeps me out.", one Agent remarked.

"The guy really is a doctor.", another said, visibly impressed.

The good doctor had returned by this time, wearing long khaki pants with a white collared shirt. His long hair was also clearly, thoroughly washed.

"I see ya'll were lookin' at mah office. I take a 'lotta work home with me, always up ta papuh-work. On that note, I think supper's ready. I was cookin' 'fore you got hee-yuh, but it ain't enough for all ya'll. Thankfully, I can just fix me a balogna sandwich!"

Hezekiah entered the kitchen. After a moment, he came out with four large plates full of food. There were three for the human agents, and one for the Princess. He explained to the mushroom that he had some garbage for him out back. The mushroom joined them in the kitchen for a moment.

"Yep!" the doctor said, re-entering as a loud clap of thunder startled him. "Food's ready. I hope ya'll like macaroni po-flotski* n' black ah-ed peas**. I had thought 'bout makin' some colluh'eds***, but I decided against it, 'cause it took to long and I was hungry."

The agents and the Princess sat down at the table and were served, with the Princess being served first.

"Ya'll like watuh? Me-ilk? Sweet tea? Coke?"

He waited for their request and re-entered the kitchen. He came back with the drinks and two balogna sandwiches with mustard. The sandwiches had multiple slices of balogna and seemed decent enough for him to eat.

The doctor and agents bowed their heads and said grace, quickly praying over the food and blessing the guests. When they arose, the mushroom departed for his meal and one of the human agents, clearly the only non-Protestant here, made the Sign of the Cross. If the Princess was familiar with Orthodox Christianity's history, she'd notice the way he held his fingers was significantly different- he used two fingers and not three -from any Orthodox sect she knew. The motion itself was also mirrored: he went in the exact reverse of normal Orthodoxy.

"Let's eat!" Hezekiah said, as they began to enjoy the home-cooked meal. "If ya'll have anything ya 'wanna talk about, please be mah guest."

Thunder rolled loudly and the rain continued as the meal was consumed.

* = A modern Russian dish consisting of fried onions, stewed ground beef, and any number of pasta noodles, particularly those used in macaroni, as the name suggests, it's about as quick and easy to make as spaghetti

** = A distinctive side dish and legume from the Southeast USA

*** = Collared greens
Last edited by TURTLESHROOM II on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Fri May 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Hanna had only passing interest in the office, though the flat (and clearly LCD) screen on the office computer made her do a double-take. However, this person was a doctor, so it made some sense for him to be able to afford the latest in technology. Even if he was a) a Turtleshroom citizen and thus years behind the developed world, and b) living in the boondocks even by Turtleshroomian standards.

Of course, it wasn't like he was living in a war zone. Hanna had picked her point of entry well.

The desk itself was more interesting - it seemed solid, and antique. A fine piece of furniture, though the wall-to-wall block of scientific textbooks were far more interesting. Having a Master's equivalent in psychology, Hanna even recognized a handful of the titles despite the language barrier. Though some of the terminology was a bit... concerning.

Like a lot of the Turtleshroom government's opinions on psychology and what constituted moral psychological practices. But that was neither here nor there.

"I see ya'll were lookin' at mah office. I take a 'lotta work home with me, always up ta papuh-work. On that note, I think supper's ready. I was cookin' 'fore you got hee-yuh, but it ain't enough for all ya'll. Thankfully, I can just fix me a balogna sandwich!"

"Oh it's no trou-"-ble, Hanna meant to say, but was stopped by a look from one of the agents. Turtleshroomian hospitality at work? Well yes, with a mix of the government perhaps trying not to let Hanna somehow offend the man by turning him down - though she doubted that would be enough to do so.

"Ya'll like watuh? Me-ilk? Sweet tea? Coke?"

"Coke is fine," Hanna said against herself. She wasn't really a Coke sort of person, preferring the bite of root beer, but as neither it nor her far preferred coffee were offered, she went with the closest thing. She was no Britannian however, and she wouldn't drink tea unless it was far sweeter than she expected this doctor was capable of. Milk was right out, as milk was for the making of cheese, and one should never drink the water from a rural area one isn't from.

She made the sign of the cross herself as grace was said, her being Catholic despite the Royal Family of Karlsland technically belonging to the Holy Church of Karlsland - an offshoot of Calvinism. She was just barely familiar enough with Orthodox Christianity to notice that one of the agents used three fingers instead of two, but not familiar enough to consider it particularly unusual - perhaps it was just a regional thing.

The meal was plain, but filling in a way. Though the beans disagreed with her palate - still she pressed on.

"So," she started, "Doctor Brian. Forgive my rudeness, but this area doesn't strike me as the kind to have much in the way of patients in terms of clinical psychology."
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Thu May 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Rupudska wrote:"So," she started, "Doctor Brian. Forgive my rudeness, but this area doesn't strike me as the kind to have much in the way of patients in terms of clinical psychology."

"It ain't nothin' rude, ma'am. I actually get that a lot, and not just from foreignuhs."

He sat down with his sandwich and ate some of it before drinking a glass of milk, swallowing before he continued.

"Ahm a psychosurgeon, not a psychologist. Ya'll probably don't have no such thing these days, wherever it is ya hail from, but I reckon you've heard about what I do for a livin'. Please, excuse me for just a moment."

The good doctor exited the kitchen area and came back shortly later with a painting.

"This paintin' hee-yuh is of the place I work."

The building in the painting was grandiose. Multiple stories tall, rectangular in nature largely symmetrical, the building formed a square bracket shape with two equidistant wings coming forward towards the camera. It was colored white with black trim. Separating the rooves on the top of the structure were three towers, the tallest one being in the middle, symmetry being maintained. In the plaza in front of the building was what looked like a subdivision of small houses. On the sides (and presumably behind the photographer) were tall, wrought-iron gates, topped with anti-breaching spikes. The iron was masterfully crafted into ornate symbols that resembled brains, staves of Hermes, and axes. It was a textbook example of Fascist Architecture.

"Sah-lent Hall State Lunatic Asylum, better known as 'Jeff's Hall'. I am its chief surgeon. Most healthcare in TurtleShroom's prah-vet, but mental healthcare ain't. The State Hospital Service's been around for 'bout fifty yee-uhs or so. Our job, though not glamorous, is to contain and protect those cursed with mental illness that render them incapacitated. In TurtleShroom, we treat mental illness the same as physical illness: somethin' ta cure, reduce, or treat, and not somethin' ta coddle. Only with aggressive therapy, quarentines, and involuntary commitment can we ever push back the tahd and bring a few-chuh where these innocent souls can one day live as we all deserve to do. 'Course, some raise a fuss over involuntary commitment, but don't they all commit plague victims, Ebola victims, n' other such mattuhs? Don't we quarentine influenza, even if it's in a room with the door shut at home?"

He nodded, adjusting his glasses.

"'Course, we's a hospital, not a prison. Don't go thinkin' we perform shock therapy to 'cure' faggots or somethin' stupid like that there. Our methods are proven, medically sound, peer-reviewed, and have even been nominated for Nationstates-wide awards, including the prestigious NS Prahz."

Doctor Brian beamed as he put the painting back where it was.

"I happened to be on the surgical team that was nominated for Medicine! Best work ah ever did."
Last edited by TURTLESHROOM II on Thu May 24, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 am

{ OOC: I just wanted to point out a mistake I made in one of my posts here. Old Believer Orthodox Christians use two fingers for the Sign of the Cross and do it in reverse, not three, as I erronorously posted earlier. The mistake is fixed now. }
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:32 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:"It ain't nothin' rude, ma'am. I actually get that a lot, and not just from foreignuhs."

He sat down with his sandwich and ate some of it before drinking a glass of milk, swallowing before he continued.

"Ahm a psychosurgeon, not a psychologist. Ya'll probably don't have no such thing these days, wherever it is ya hail from, but I reckon you've heard about what I do for a livin'. Please, excuse me for just a moment."

Hanna nearly did another double-take at the statement. Psychosurgery in Karlsland was an incredibly new field, and almost always required the use of magic. The brain was a delicate instrument, frightfully so, a fact Hanna was painfully aware of as a telepath. Modern psychosurgery in Karlsland used a combination of high-precision ablative surgery (invariably with magic) and deep-brain electrostiumulation to eliminate mental disorders.

It was a controversial field, as pundits from both sides of the political situation decried it as mind control, a theory not helped by some of the word choice by some of the reporters informing the Empire about it.

It was a rare example of truth in conspiracy theory: while it would be a grossly flagrant violation of the Hippocratic Oath, it was entirely possible, and proven to be so in the Wessler case when a doctor was sentenced to death for doing just that to three men who later were caught attempting to bomb a synagogue in Frankfurt.

The princess had a feeling that Turtleshroomian psychosurgery did not involve either magic or electrostimulation and was purely ablative. Which wasn't always much better.

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:"Sah-lent Hall State Lunatic Asylum, better known as 'Jeff's Hall'. I am its chief surgeon. Most healthcare in TurtleShroom's prah-vet, but mental healthcare ain't. The State Hospital Service's been around for 'bout fifty yee-uhs or so. Our job, though not glamorous, is to contain and protect those cursed with mental illness that render them incapacitated. In TurtleShroom, we treat mental illness the same as physical illness: somethin' ta cure, reduce, or treat, and not somethin' ta coddle. Only with aggressive therapy, quarentines, and involuntary commitment can we ever push back the tahd and bring a few-chuh where these innocent souls can one day live as we all deserve to do. 'Course, some raise a fuss over involuntary commitment, but don't they all commit plague victims, Ebola victims, n' other such mattuhs? Don't we quarentine influenza, even if it's in a room with the door shut at home?"

He nodded, adjusting his glasses.

"'Course, we's a hospital, not a prison. Don't go thinkin' we perform shock therapy to 'cure' faggots or somethin' stupid like that there. Our methods are proven, medically sound, peer-reviewed, and have even been nominated for Nationstates-wide awards, including the prestigious NS Prahz."

Doctor Brian beamed as he put the painting back where it was.

"I happened to be on the surgical team that was nominated for Medicine! Best work ah ever did."

She had to admit, word choice or no, she couldn't find much fault with the doctor's logic by Turtleshroomian standards. Hell, even in Karlsland some mental disorders required a bit of force to deal with. Not many mind you, though with some a firm hand was needed to deliver treatment. Some patients just didn't want to be treated, and some mental disorders (such as certain types of body dysmorphia) needed to be dealt with swiftly lest the patient become an extreme danger to themselves. And information about the medical prize did bring back some memories.

Though I never did catch who won the medical awards for the NS Prize that year. I was on deployment in Afghakistan and the feed got cut that night...

"So that's why your name was familiar. I must say it's quite impressive how you managed to salvage lobotomy as a technique. I believe it was even used in Karlsland for some time until the legalization of deep brain stimulation." In two cases, both for extreme paranoid schizophrenia...
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:26 pm

"Salvaged?" Doctor Brian cocked an eyebrow, pausing for a moment before remembering the princess was a foreigner.

"With a body like that," he thought to himself, "you would think you'd never forget."

As thunder cracked and hte pouring rain provided a backdrop, he excused himself and excitedly brought in a replica of a human skull, with parts inside. Talking about his job was one of his favorite topics.

"While foreignuhs perfected outpatient operations n' such decades ago, we went furthuh. TurtleShroomian lobotomizations take three 'ours and have a discharge tahm of less than a day. The pro-see-juh is simple 'nough to be performed by general surgeons after trainin', though the state bureaucracy refuses to outsource it. It's legally classed as non-invasive because of the minimal incisions: instead of cuttin' you open, we route it like this hee-yuh-"

He pointed to the skull and proceeded to explain the method of entry and the incision.

"It's a lot like haht ablation against Wolf-Parkinson-Whaht. Enter through the small incision there, go in, and you can sever it straight at the pre-frontal lobe hee-yuh, there, and then there. Wantin' to revolutionize the field, we went further and decided to find a more efficient way to adjust the needed areas. Brain mappin' ain't the best science usin' domestic tech, so we had to import scannuhs and performed- gee, I think it was many tens of thousands'a tests over the course of 'bout ten yee-uhs."

He smiled.

"It worked perfectly. Our version has almost zero chance of unintended consequences outside the purpose of the surj-ree. The risks are next to neglible. Patients that've done undergone it are slightly less likely to be vah-lent and are far more docile and cooperative, permanently. Where the old ways had risks of side-effects and damage to other parts of the brain, ours has so definitively mapped and tested it that we believe the pro-see-juh has greatuh than a ninety-nine per-see-ent success rate."

Finishing his meal, he offered the princess more food and, if she insisted she didn't want more, he asked if she was sure she was full. The other agents finished the meal.

"Traditionally, TurtleShroom surgical procedure is documented in books with detailed organ descriptions. It's why medical libraries take up whole buildin's. We update 'em, at the minimum, annually. It took us yee-uhs to draw, update, and record our findins' and new maps into a book. More still to illuminate the manuscripts. Ah swear, writin' that book was harder than perfectin' the system! Once ya do that, though, mass production's easy. Several hundred pages long to explain the science and changes made, but the actual pro-see-juh is just a little bit at the front. If ya wan't a copy, I gots two."
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:33 am

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:Finishing his meal, he offered the princess more food and, if she insisted she didn't want more, he asked if she was sure she was full. The other agents finished the meal.

"Traditionally, TurtleShroom surgical procedure is documented in books with detailed organ descriptions. It's why medical libraries take up whole buildin's. We update 'em, at the minimum, annually. It took us yee-uhs to draw, update, and record our findins' and new maps into a book. More still to illuminate the manuscripts. Ah swear, writin' that book was harder than perfectin' the system! Once ya do that, though, mass production's easy. Several hundred pages long to explain the science and changes made, but the actual pro-see-juh is just a little bit at the front. If ya wan't a copy, I gots two."

again, sorry for taking so long

Hanna nodded. This 'lobotomy' as the man described it sounded a lot like ablative surgery, but with a microsurgery blade instead of, well, lasers. Or magic. Or, something similar to it - he did call it lobotomy after all, and it's entirely possible it used some sort of highly modified medical ice pick.

She turned down the offer of more food, as well as the offer that followed it, stating that she was indeed full. Not entirely true, but the food was bland and filling enough to be close enough; she was simply being polite by not saying it outright. Perhaps once she got out of the jungle she'd find somewhere with something else to eat.

Then again, it was nearing Christmas, and who knew what Turtleshroomians ate for the largest of Christian holidays.

"In that case, I think I may accept your offer of a copy." She paused for a moment. "Though if I end up getting a book from every house in Turtleshroom I stop in, I may need more than a motorrad to get around in."

She could almost swear she heard Tannhäuser sneeze.
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:31 am

The good doctor beamed and smiled at the surprise.

"Really?" he was giddy now and ran for the second copy. "Ya know, y'all are the first one to actually accept that offuh."

He smiled and turned to look out the window.

"Huh. Looks like the thunduh's let up. It's just rainin' real hahd now."

He exited the room for a brief moment and turned on the radio to listen to the local forecast.

"Oof. It's gone be rainin' all naht. Weatherman says the storm'll be back by midnight and last until mornin'. If ya 'wanna stay the night, I would be humbled to offer the mastuh bedroom. I can always sleep on the guest bed or a couch. Stay on a different flow, you know, 'can't dishonor a lady that ain't blood or kin by not segegatin' the beds. Like anyone should."

Looking to the guards accompanying the Princess, Doctor Brian smiled.

"Y'all can sleep in farthuh back. This house's way bigger it looks from the front."

"Ma'am, if this a;;comes as aww-kwerd to ya, I'd lahk to note that 'round these parts, hospitality's one of our greatest virtues."

The guardsmen that could nod did so.

"Comes from the old Russia mindset. Never changed. Dixie mindset too, actually. Only made it stronguh. The guest deserves the best room. Oh, and if ya 'wanna re-tar early, let me know. I'll take mah bath early so's not to bother y'all."
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Hanna, being an upstanding Karlslander (Bavarian, but still) woman, balked at the level of open hospitality. Of course, she had briefed herself on how the Turtleshroomian version of the concept matched or even exceeded that of the Deep South, which she had been to once (when she was eleven, and it was for her father the Kaiser to give a medal to a thought-to-be-lost soldier from the Second Neuroi War), but still, this seemed a bit much for her. She even turned to one of the 'guards' to say as much, but the look on her face convinced her otherwise.

Taking a fraction of a second more than normal as she shifted to diplomat-politeness (a more advanced form of Retail Face), which was itself a sign of how greatly she was surprised, she forced her face into a convincing, if toothless, smile.

"While unnecessary, I'd be glad to accept the master bedroom. But you may use the bath when you wish, I sleep late and bathe early. And I need to make sure the roads didn't shake anything off my motorrad."
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates