NATION

PASSWORD

Gay Rights? What do you think.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Plaza Square
Attaché
 
Posts: 75
Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Gay Rights? What do you think.

Postby Plaza Square » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:17 am

People keep telling me that gay rights should be illegal, but when I ask them why, they just storm off. I want your opinions but please give a real reason and not something like, "Because it should be!" Thank you for posting.

User avatar
New Kereptica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6691
Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:18 am

I can see no reason to deny them rights.
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

User avatar
Blitzkrenia
Minister
 
Posts: 3373
Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Blitzkrenia » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:19 am

New Kereptica wrote:I can see no reason to deny them rights.

^this.
"Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow." -Oscar Wilde

User avatar
South Lorenya
Senator
 
Posts: 3925
Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Lorenya » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:19 am

There's no valid reason to deny them the same rights as nongays.
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

User avatar
Plaza Square
Attaché
 
Posts: 75
Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Thanks

Postby Plaza Square » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:22 am

Thanks for responding. Can you submit this to your friends?
P.S. I am all for gay rights in case you didn't know.

User avatar
Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 11096
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:22 am

Equal rights goes both ways. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

User avatar
F1-Insanity
Minister
 
Posts: 3476
Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:22 am

Plaza Square wrote:People keep telling me that gay rights should be illegal, but when I ask them why, they just storm off. I want your opinions but please give a real reason and not something like, "Because it should be!" Thank you for posting.


What exactly are 'gay rights'? Some special set of rights 'gays' get but others don't?

I think there's only one kind of 'rights': 'human rights'.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

User avatar
SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21734
Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SaintB » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:22 am

No reason at all.

Some people use religion; that makes opposition to giving homosexuals rights, along with anyone else who is different.

The there are some people who I'm pretty sure are opposed because its tradition, just like when people with dark skin had no rights; simply because that's how it was.

EDIT: I have a numb finger, its messing with my spacing.
Last edited by SaintB on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

User avatar
Trippoli
Minister
 
Posts: 2394
Founded: May 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Trippoli » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:23 am

We have had alot of threads on this issue.

But yeah, gays should have rights to marry. and Adopt.
Man of the Eastern Shore
ARMY STRONG

[b]Economic Left
/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.82 [/b]
COOL Political Compass Graph!
I LOVE RUSSIAN REVERSAL!
Social Liberalism
79%
Socialist
79%
Libertarianism
63%
Totalitarianism
63%
Independance
46%
Democracy
46%
Anarchism
42%
Social Conservatism
33%
Capitalist
33%
Monarchy
29%

Panzerjaeger wrote:One small stroke for man, One Giant Orgasm for Mankind!

North Wiedna wrote:
Chrobalta wrote:Poll Dancing.

oh yea, look at those politicians work those polls.

User avatar
Industrial Grid
Diplomat
 
Posts: 661
Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Grid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:23 am

Plaza Square wrote:I want your opinions but please give a real reason and not something like, "Because it should be!"

Everyone here is left.
Not a Communist.

User avatar
Blitzkrenia
Minister
 
Posts: 3373
Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Blitzkrenia » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:24 am

Industrial Grid wrote:
Plaza Square wrote:I want your opinions but please give a real reason and not something like, "Because it should be!"

Everyone here is left.

Not really. I always claim to be a lolbertarian with slight right-wing bias.

And go find KMA2, NM, or EY (ELWG).
Last edited by Blitzkrenia on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow." -Oscar Wilde

User avatar
Maurepas
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36403
Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:25 am

I was under the impression that rights were inalienable, so, I can't see any reason for anyone's rights to be denied...

User avatar
Plaza Square
Attaché
 
Posts: 75
Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Industrial Grid

Postby Plaza Square » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:25 am

I think that's obvious at this point.

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:26 am

Plaza Square wrote:People keep telling me that gay rights should be illegal, but when I ask them why, they just storm off. I want your opinions but please give a real reason and not something like, "Because it should be!" Thank you for posting.

because it should be.

there is no other reason because there is no reason why there should be any limit on rights for people just because they are gay.
whatever

User avatar
EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13456
Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:28 am

F1-Insanity wrote:What exactly are 'gay rights'? Some special set of rights 'gays' get but others don't?

I think there's only one kind of 'rights': 'human rights'.


This. ^

User avatar
Industrial Grid
Diplomat
 
Posts: 661
Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Grid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:29 am

Blitzkrenia wrote:Not really. I always claim to be a lolbertarian with slight right-wing bias.

That's like being left, but masturbating really hard.
Not a Communist.

User avatar
SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21734
Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SaintB » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:30 am

Industrial Grid wrote:
Blitzkrenia wrote:Not really. I always claim to be a lolbertarian with slight right-wing bias.

That's like being left, but masturbating really hard.

Quoted for lols.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

User avatar
Blitzkrenia
Minister
 
Posts: 3373
Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Blitzkrenia » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:31 am

Industrial Grid wrote:
Blitzkrenia wrote:Not really. I always claim to be a lolbertarian with slight right-wing bias.

That's like being left, but masturbating really hard.

If you say so. :lol:
"Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow." -Oscar Wilde

User avatar
Rolling squid
Minister
 
Posts: 2416
Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:31 am

F1-Insanity wrote:
Plaza Square wrote:People keep telling me that gay rights should be illegal, but when I ask them why, they just storm off. I want your opinions but please give a real reason and not something like, "Because it should be!" Thank you for posting.


What exactly are 'gay rights'? Some special set of rights 'gays' get but others don't?

I think there's only one kind of 'rights': 'human rights'.


Gay rights is usually used as short hand for giving gay couples the same rights and protections as straight protections.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.


Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

User avatar
Takaram
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8973
Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:32 am

I may be just a tad biased, but I see absolutely no reason why gays should not be given equal rights.

User avatar
Industrial Grid
Diplomat
 
Posts: 661
Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Grid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:33 am

Blitzkrenia wrote:If you say so. :lol:

Right-wing libertarianism is like being liberal, except you call it rational when you hoard.
Not a Communist.

User avatar
Pythria
Minister
 
Posts: 2664
Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pythria » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:35 am

Gays should have the same rights as anyone else, except marriage. Marriage is a sacred bond between one man and one woman, and should be kept that way.
Last edited by Pythria on Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
F1-Insanity
Minister
 
Posts: 3476
Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:36 am

Rolling squid wrote:Gay rights is usually used as short hand for giving gay couples the same rights and protections as straight protections.


I think human rights mostly apply to individuals.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

User avatar
New Kereptica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6691
Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:36 am

Pythria wrote:Marriage is a sacred bond between one man and one woman, and should be kept that way.


According to whom? Marriage, in its current incarnation, is almost entirely a civic institution.
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

User avatar
La Repubblica Fascista
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 135
Founded: Mar 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby La Repubblica Fascista » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:36 am

I have no problem with gays. As long as they aren't coming on to me im fine with giving them rights.
Fasdia- EDIT: Goddammit, I forgot about April Fool's Day. Fuck me, I'm an idiot.

Roleplay Nation Name: The Italian Fascist Republic
For the folks in General who are suprised when im a conservative: My Info- viewtopic.php?p=1866303#p1866303

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dangine, Diopolis, Dumb Ideologies, Eahland, East Blepia, Ethel mermania, Galloism, Google [Bot], Greater vakolicci haven, Grinning Dragon, Hirota, Idzequitch, Kavagrad, Ngelmish, Noel, Paradeavenlisian States, Proctopeo, Stellar Colonies, Telconi, The Greater Ohio Valley, The of Korea, The Sherpa Empire, Xmara

Advertisement

Remove ads