NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Terms And Conditions Apply?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Authoritarian Democracy

[DRAFT] Terms And Conditions Apply?

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:04 am

[desc] The Mayor of @@CAPITAL@@, @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Caesar, who is a member of your party, has been wildy popular with @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ under @@HIS@@ administration. Unfortunately, due to a law enacted that enforces term limits on elected officials, @@HE@@ is unable to run for re-election. Voters are beginning to question the practice of having term limits, and are insisting that changes be made to the rule.

[validity] Only valid for democratic nations with term limits

[option] "We love our mayor!" squeals @@RANDOMNAME@@, an avid fan, eagerly showing off @@HIS@@ collection of mayor-related memorabilia. "I hate to break it to you, but there are no other candidates in your party currently running for the position that we would consider supporting. The opposition has fielded much better entrants this time round, and we may have no choice but to pick one of them, unless you remove term limits entirely. Trust us, if we had a choice, we wouldn't want anyone else as our mayor either."
[effect] the political scene rarely changes due to most government positions remaining uncontested

[option] "The term limits must remain," insists @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Head of the Fair Electoral Practices Department. "Keeping term limits is absolutely necessary in order to have a functioning democracy. It prevents the entrenchment of power, reduces corruption rates and brings a breath of fresh air into politics. In fact, I would argue that term limits should be made even shorter than they are right now. That's the only way to avoid a plutocracy from forming."
[effect] nothing is ever accomplished as officials enter and leave government posts like passing through a set of revolving doors

[option] "The mayor is too well liked!" complains @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Brutus, an envious official from your party, who appears to be concealing a sharp object of some kind. "Recent polls place his popularity above your own. What's worse, I've heard rumours that the mayor is planning to fight you for your own position. We have to stop this! We must assassinate the mayor, and then use the resulting public sympathy to sweep a more loyal candidate into power. I've got just the person for the job..."
[effect] @@LEADER@@ regularly engages in false flag operations to stay in power

[option] "You too, Brutus?" exclaims Caesar, the Mayor of @@CAPITAL@@, stepping out from behind a curtain. "It seems that there are many of our party members who are willing to backstab one another for petty political gains. Our party has grown decadent, and its apparatus must be cleansed. Why don't you declare yourself dictator in perpetuity, and take the necessary steps to remove the rot from the state bureaucracy? Our nation won't survive without it."
[effect] @@NAME@@ has dropped all pretenses of being a democracy
[policies] term limits are removed
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Singapore Gum Import Ban World Assembly Resolution Parody
Personal Political Compass

This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

I have many issues, But at least someone accepts me for who I am. Which I can appreciate, of course.

My published Issues.

Baggieland
Spokesperson

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:05 am

Another good one No2.

Shouldn't the validity include democratic elections? As some countries with one-party rule also have term limits.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:26 am

Baggieland wrote:Another good one No2.

Shouldn't the validity include democratic elections? As some countries with one-party rule also have term limits.

Change effected!

This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

I have many issues, But at least someone accepts me for who I am. Which I can appreciate, of course.

My published Issues.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Corporate Bordello

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 am

For reference, I've got a longstanding archived submission called On These Terms that doesn't address whether term limits should exist or not, but does address how long those terms should be for.

Feel free to use and abuse as you choose. The draft barely saw any comment back in the day.
Editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:35 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:For reference, I've got a longstanding archived submission called On These Terms that doesn't address whether term limits should exist or not, but does address how long those terms should be for.

Feel free to use and abuse as you choose. The draft barely saw any comment back in the day.

Could you add a link, please?

My published Issues.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Corporate Bordello

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:44 am

Sorry, thought I had!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=375570
Editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people.

Jutsa
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Jutsa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:10 am

I actually had a draft for this and was about to upload it today, but I decided to wait two days to help space out my weekly bumps. :rofl:

I'm glad I waited - mine wasn't the greatest. :P
Don't mind me, just signatureless atm.

Australian Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian Republic » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:16 pm

Is this a matter for the government rather than a constitutional matter?
I pledge to my loyalty to Australia, Greece and Jesus Christ
Western Sydney Represent!
My blog
7 published issues

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Is this a matter for the government rather than a constitutional matter?

You have to enforce term limits to get this issue, so yes, it is a government issue.

My published Issues.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Added another option, the generic one to kill democracy.

My published Issues.

Australian Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian Republic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:57 am

Singapore no2 wrote:Added another option, the generic one to kill democracy.

Perhaps what I should have asked:
Can govts. make decisions about term limits, or is that determined bt the constitution?
Last edited by Australian Republic on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I pledge to my loyalty to Australia, Greece and Jesus Christ
Western Sydney Represent!
My blog
7 published issues

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 am

Australian Republic wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:Added another option, the generic one to kill democracy.

Perhaps what I should have asked:
Can govts. make decisions about term limits, or is that determined bt the constitution?

Yes. Yes they can.

You literally, as the leader of the government, make this decision in-game.

My published Issues.

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?