NATION

PASSWORD

New NationStates cross platform app coming up

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Criptonia
Secretary

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

New NationStates cross platform app coming up

Postby Criptonia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:26 am

A new mobile app for NationStates is coming up... supporting most (if not all) features of the site, including forums!

I will be developing a mobile app for NationStates soon. ETA is 2018 Q1 (or even faster). But to create the app, I first need to perform some surveys, so that the app is made exactly the way you want it to be!

New poll #2 - https://goo.gl/forms/5arK8KHxHemjLKWL2
Poll #1 - https://goo.gl/forms/YOVz3UzEISmug8sO2
Please fill these Google forms up. It contains only some multiple choice questions regarding the designs of the app, and does not ask for any private information. If you fill this form up,
1) I will feel encouraged, seeing that people want to use this app, and,
2) I can make the app exactly as the public wants!

I will be replying to this thread regarding the updates of the app.
Last edited by Criptonia on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sugrastan
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sugrastan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:29 am

What point is there for an app? The actual site works perfectly on mobile, with there even being a special mobile GUI. You should also keep in mind Max Barry could take it down.
Sugrastan
A nation in Europe, consisting of the modern-day Nordics.
Sugrastan is known for beautiful scenery, many tourist attractions, and their culture.

"Maamme"
English: "Our Land"

Main Factbook (Don't trust, not updated in ages.)
Leader Factbook

This nation does mostly reflect my political views.

ok

Criptonia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Criptonia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:37 am

Sugrastan wrote:What point is there for an app? The actual site works perfectly on mobile, with there even being a special mobile GUI. You should also keep in mind Max Barry could take it down.

I'll be using official APIs, and I have read the docs. There is no reason why it should be taken down.

About why an app is needed, mobile sites can never provide the full experience as an app (atleast for now). Just look at the forums on a phone... And I can make the UI fully customizable on a phone. There are a few Android apps, and even then, they lack some features, such as forums. And there are no iPhone apps. And notifications. I can provide notifications if you recieve an issue, or telegram, or a notice.

It ultimately boils down to personal preference, but I prefer a phone app to a phone website if they have equal features.

After all, why do you think websites like Amazon have a phone app, even though the website works "perfectly" on phones?
Last edited by Criptonia on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sugrastan
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sugrastan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:39 am

Criptonia wrote:
Sugrastan wrote:What point is there for an app? The actual site works perfectly on mobile, with there even being a special mobile GUI. You should also keep in mind Max Barry could take it down.

I'll be using official APIs, and I have read the docs. There is no reason why it should be taken down.

About why an app is needed, mobile sites can never provide the full experience as an app (atleast for now). Just look at the forums on a phone... And I can make the UI fully customizable on a phone. There are a few Android apps, and even then, they lack some features, such as forums. And there are no iPhone apps.

It ultimately boils down to personal preference, but I prefer a phone app to a phone website if they have equal features.

Oh, I see. Good luck on developing it! ;D
Sugrastan
A nation in Europe, consisting of the modern-day Nordics.
Sugrastan is known for beautiful scenery, many tourist attractions, and their culture.

"Maamme"
English: "Our Land"

Main Factbook (Don't trust, not updated in ages.)
Leader Factbook

This nation does mostly reflect my political views.

ok

Criptonia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Criptonia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:40 am

Sugrastan wrote:
Criptonia wrote:

About why an app is needed, mobile sites can never provide the full experience as an app (atleast for now). Just look at the forums on a phone... And I can make the UI fully customizable on a phone. There are a few Android apps, and even then, they lack some features, such as forums. And there are no iPhone apps.

Oh, I see. Good luck on developing it! ;D

Thanks ;)
Last edited by Criptonia on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

United German Regions
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:20 am

Criptonia wrote:

About why an app is needed, mobile sites can never provide the full experience as an app (atleast for now). Just look at the forums on a phone... And I can make the UI fully customizable on a phone. There are a few Android apps, and even then, they lack some features, such as forums. And there are no iPhone apps. And notifications. I can provide notifications if you recieve an issue, or telegram, or a notice.

After all, why do you think websites like Amazon have a phone app, even though the website works "perfectly" on phones?

I assume you are aware of the cost of making an IOS app? if so, wow, heavy contribution without reward.
Founder of The Insane Region/Founder of The Embassy/Raider for few/Defender for all/International Contender/Conqueror of The Black Riders
I stand against CAIN
Pro: USA, Democracy, Military, Freedom, Fox News, Second Amendment, #AllLivesMatter, Racial Equality, Gender Equality, #BlueLivesMatter
Anti: Fascism, WA Security Council, Religious Extremism, The Nightly Show, #BlackLivesMatter, Segregation, Hillary Clinton, Heavy Feminism

United German Regions is supplying medical aid to numerous nations recovering from war | UGR investigators discovered the presence of slavery in Cresenthia to manufacture teddy bears | The leader of UGR has just eaten a samich

Criptonia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Criptonia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:25 am

United German Regions wrote:
Criptonia wrote:

I assume you are aware of the cost of making an IOS app? if so, wow, heavy contribution without reward.

Yep, I am aware of them. I'll make a donation button or a free-version-with-advertisements + pro version(if I do this, I'll make sure you can remove it for the lowest price possible. Last I saw, it was less than a dollar for Play Store.)

Anyway, I already have some friends who will do the initial funding for the iOS version.
Last edited by Criptonia on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Criptonia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Regarding iPhone app

Postby Criptonia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:30 am

The Android app will be available first (cause I already have a Google Play Developer account for 25$.) After the app has passed alpha stage, or 2 months have passed since the app was released on Play Store (whichever occurs first), I'll make the app available on iOS App Store.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:10 am

Criptonia wrote:
United German Regions wrote:I assume you are aware of the cost of making an IOS app? if so, wow, heavy contribution without reward.

Yep, I am aware of them. I'll make a donation button or a free-version-with-advertisements + pro version(if I do this, I'll make sure you can remove it for the lowest price possible. Last I saw, it was less than a dollar for Play Store.)

Anyway, I already have some friends who will do the initial funding for the iOS version.

I'm not too sure if having the option to donate or a paid pro version of the app would even be allowed, to be quite honest. (As in 'the NS mods and admins allowing it', I mean)
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

United German Regions
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:11 am

Criptonia wrote:The Android app will be available first (cause I already have a Google Play Developer account for 25$.) After the app has passed alpha stage, or 2 months have passed since the app was released on Play Store (whichever occurs first), I'll make the app available on iOS App Store.

How are you going to fund it though? Apple has an annual cost to have an app. Are you using personal funds or will there be ads or something?
Last edited by United German Regions on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of The Insane Region/Founder of The Embassy/Raider for few/Defender for all/International Contender/Conqueror of The Black Riders
I stand against CAIN
Pro: USA, Democracy, Military, Freedom, Fox News, Second Amendment, #AllLivesMatter, Racial Equality, Gender Equality, #BlueLivesMatter
Anti: Fascism, WA Security Council, Religious Extremism, The Nightly Show, #BlackLivesMatter, Segregation, Hillary Clinton, Heavy Feminism

United German Regions is supplying medical aid to numerous nations recovering from war | UGR investigators discovered the presence of slavery in Cresenthia to manufacture teddy bears | The leader of UGR has just eaten a samich

Altinsane
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 13, 2017
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Altinsane » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:12 am

Oh neat! Good luck!
Altino Asteorra
Karma Sage
Hasal-Pharaoh of Osiris
Occasional Punstress
Very, very fond of owls
{o,o}
|)__)
-”-”-

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:08 am

Criptonia wrote:A new mobile app for NationStates is coming up... supporting most (if not all) features of the site, including forums!

I will be developing a cross platform (iOS + Android) app for NationStates soon. ETA is 2018 Q1 (or even faster). But to create the app, I first need to perform some surveys, so that the app is made exactly the way you want it to be!

Please fill this Google form up - https://goo.gl/forms/YOVz3UzEISmug8sO2 . It contains only some multiple choice questions regarding the designs of the app, and does not ask for any private information. If you fill this form up,

What will it be called? I mean that's my issue.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

The Transhuman Union
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Transhuman Union » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 am

Great, now I can post random NS posts on the Moon!
Well, not now. Soon.
Last edited by The Transhuman Union on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
A big, 1.8 M blob filled with joy and enthusiasm, with a small dash of ingenuity combined with a youthful, healthy dose of idealism.

Criptonia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Criptonia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:35 am

United German Regions wrote:
Criptonia wrote:The Android app will be available first (cause I already have a Google Play Developer account for 25$.) After the app has passed alpha stage, or 2 months have passed since the app was released on Play Store (whichever occurs first), I'll make the app available on iOS App Store.

How are you going to fund it though? Apple has an annual cost to have an app. Are you using personal funds or will there be ads or something?

Haven't fully decided yet, but either there will be a "donate" button or probably ads. Or both maybe.

Criptonia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Criptonia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Criptonia wrote:A new mobile app for NationStates is coming up... supporting most (if not all) features of the site, including forums!

I will be developing a cross platform (iOS + Android) app for NationStates soon. ETA is 2018 Q1 (or even faster). But to create the app, I first need to perform some surveys, so that the app is made exactly the way you want it to be!

Please fill this Google form up - https://goo.gl/forms/YOVz3UzEISmug8sO2 . It contains only some multiple choice questions regarding the designs of the app, and does not ask for any private information. If you fill this form up,

What will it be called? I mean that's my issue.

Thinking a cool name as of now. Have suggestions? I'll make a name poll later on.

Criptonia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Criptonia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:37 am

The Transhuman Union wrote:Great, now I can post random NS posts on the Moon!
Well, not now. Soon.

Yeah, I'll implement that too. Just require enough funding to install internet on the Moon :P

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 am

Criptonia wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:What will it be called? I mean that's my issue.

Thinking a cool name as of now. Have suggestions? I'll make a name poll later on.

*shrug*
Nationstates the app? NS App? NationApp? Nationstates Mobile?

Whatever you come up with I'll be fine with. I have high hopes this app will be good.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Hakhtdart
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakhtdart » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:46 am

I think you should add a button to view video ads, and like in the site, some image ads. Just trying to help. Also, you could add the NS++ functions to the app

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 am

Don't make your design decisions by committee. Make your design decisions. You don't need to consult back.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Criptonia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Criptonia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:02 am

Okay, got it. Thanks everyone for the support, everyone :)

I've made a rough sketch of the app. I'll publish the beta version of the app by 2018 Q1 (this is just an exaggerated estimate. It may be a lot sooner.)

Criptonia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

NationStates Upcoming Mobile App: Polls and Updates!

Postby Criptonia » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:53 pm

I have another poll #2 for you - https://goo.gl/forms/5arK8KHxHemjLKWL2 .

PS: Please do not type in this post. If you want to type something, please reply here - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=429647.
This page will be updated with the new polls and updates of this app.

Currently planned features -
  1. Conservative and Liberal features
  2. NS++ features (Questions about them in this poll).
  3. Tabbed UI. So, (only an example), you can reply to RMB while reading/replying-to forums.
  4. Push notifications.
  5. Emojis (This will be app limited, because, you know, I don't have access to NS website to make changes :P. But in website this emojis will appear in text form. For example, :) is this -> : ) ).
  6. Functional theme button.
  7. Customizable features (change font, theme etc)
  8. Improved RMB chat (Please tell what you want as "improved" in the feedback section of the form).
  9. Above all, I will try my best to include all the gameplay mechanics of the website in this app.

If you need more features, tell me in the feedback section of the poll.
Last edited by Criptonia on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:51 am

Criptonia wrote:PS: Please do not type in this post. If you want to type something, please reply here

That's not how it works. Don't create new threads for the same thing. Threads merged.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:51 pm

An app would be great. With my luck, it'll require IOS 10, and my phone is on IOS 7.1.something.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Criptonia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Criptonia » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:54 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:An app would be great. With my luck, it'll require IOS 10, and my phone is on IOS 7.1.something.

xD

No problem, I'll try my best to support previous versions.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:18 am

Criptonia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:An app would be great. With my luck, it'll require IOS 10, and my phone is on IOS 7.1.something.

xD

No problem, I'll try my best to support previous versions.

Great!
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical