NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Limitations of Firearms to the Mentally Ill

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Oakrugia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 21, 2017
Capitalizt

[DRAFT] Limitations of Firearms to the Mentally Ill

Postby Oakrugia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:18 pm

Limitations of Fire Arms to the Mentally Ill

The General Assembly,

Believing that the purchase of firearms are only implemented from request to the government, especially tools that may be dangerous and hazardous to be used upon other natural resources,

Recognizing the need to limit the accessibility of firearms to the mentally-challenged, out of a desire to preserve their own well-being, and the well being of others,

Believing that while gun access may fairly be considered a right by certain nations, it is certainly not an absolute right; rather, member nations have an interest, if not a moral obligation, in regulating access to firearms,

Hoping to protect the mentally ill from reckless activity of the use of guns and artillery, as said to be upon having problems that were dealt in the past, or possibly dealing with issues such as depression and/or suicidal thoughts,

Therefore, shall enact rules of this proposal for the protection of both the disabled/mentally ill and the residents of all nations, as further added here:-

1. Defines "mentally challenged individual" as a sapient being experiencing medically-diagnosed disorders connected to the mind,

2. Defines “firearms” as any type of weapon that shoots projectiles using gun powder or a similar substance,

3. Member nations (a) shall overlook the importance of using firearms and self-defense, as well as (b) proclaim a “firearms license” in order to both keep and use any lethal weapon out of public,

4. The Mental Illness & Disabled Foundation of the WA [MIDFWA] shall keep track of activities relating to mental illness and depression-related problems

Co-Authored by West Guam
Last edited by Oakrugia on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
@Mad-Eye Jack, You have voted to lynch Hyungie Oak.
Hi, I'm Oak. I just returned to NationStates after being away for 5 years(?)
Bye.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:20 pm

"Have you looked at GAR#399, Clause 5?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Oakrugia
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Oakrugia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Have you looked at GAR#399, Clause 5?"

Yes, in fact, IA has already told me about that. I will try to edit some parts of the proposal that seems to have been related in Clause 5.
Bye.

West Guam
Attaché

Founded: Oct 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby West Guam » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:48 pm

`
Last edited by West Guam on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| WEST GUAMIAN NEWS | The Nation of West Guam is currently looking to establish new diplomatic, economic, and military ties with nations around the world! | Indoor dining in all provinces will be capped at 25% capacity until further notice to limit the spread of COVID-19 | The WG Constitution has been amended to limit presidential terms to five years.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:13 pm

West Guam wrote:This is a really great resolution idea! Whoever wrote this must be genius!!

Uh huh.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Lieutenant Columbo
Secretary

Founded: Aug 09, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lieutenant Columbo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Category and strength/AOE?

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:59 pm

“Absolutely not!” barks Iksana. “My nation will by no means accept mandatory licensing for anything! In addition, this would effectively neuter my nation’s ability to defend our borders, hunt our food, and eliminate dangerous crocodiles because a ludicrous percentage of us suffer from some trauma-related form of “disorder connected to the mind.” Against, opposed, and begone with it!”
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Oakrugia
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Oakrugia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Essu Beti wrote:“Absolutely not!” barks Iksana. “My nation will by no means accept mandatory licensing for anything! In addition, this would effectively neuter my nation’s ability to defend our borders, hunt our food, and eliminate dangerous crocodiles because a ludicrous percentage of us suffer from some trauma-related form of “disorder connected to the mind.” Against, opposed, and begone with it!”

Ambassador Sherman looks with his eyes open. "..Your an anarchist? Only such anarchist would do that to just give the ability for the mentally ill to be granted a weapon, and just recklessly attack anyone! I don't think this reply is even necessary! The mental people should be protected instead of being left alone!"
Bye.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Iksana makes a rude noise. “If I were an anarchist, do you really think I’d be here? And guess what, sugar-puff, my nation needs guns. You ever tried spear-hunting crocodiles in open water? Why should families in my nation starve because you decided they were too traumatized to handle the tools we need to feed ourselves?”

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:10 pm

"Against." Eve says as she takes the ever present cigarette out of her mouth. "Thermodolia isn't going to let the WA meddle in something that is obviously our affair. Only us Thermodolians should be allowed to decide the regulations on guns for Thermodolia and her people."
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Oakrugia
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Oakrugia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:18 pm

Essu Beti wrote:Iksana makes a rude noise. “If I were an anarchist, do you really think I’d be here? And guess what, sugar-puff, my nation needs guns. You ever tried spear-hunting crocodiles in open water? Why should families in my nation starve because you decided they were too traumatized to handle the tools we need to feed ourselves?”

Sherman sighs. "You know, you need to value protection too. Not only is it to protect the citizens of your country, but it is very important to handle a weapon and how to use it properly. If you let the mentally ill people go around and hold those lethal weapons, you will end up dealing with a crime scene or a murder."
Bye.

Oakrugia
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Oakrugia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 pm

Thermodolia wrote:"Against." Eve says as she takes the ever present cigarette out of her mouth. "Thermodolia isn't going to let the WA meddle in something that is obviously our affair. Only us Thermodolians should be allowed to decide the regulations on guns for Thermodolia and her people."

Sherman is disappointed. "Then why are you here..? You said you don't want the WA to meddle in your government, so why reply back when you got other major stuff to handle?"
Bye.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 pm

Oakrugia wrote:Sherman sighs. "You know, you need to value protection too. Not only is it to protect the citizens of your country, but it is very important to handle a weapon and how to use it properly. If you let the mentally ill people go around and hold those lethal weapons, you will end up dealing with a crime scene or a murder."

((OOC: I’m not sure if it’s just part of your character or not, but I feel the need to mention that “mentally ill” is not synonymous with “homicidal”))

“Yes, protection is important. The kind of protection that comes with having a gun on hand. Let me tell you, a lot more of my people would have survived if we’d had the ability to defend ourselves. Say, with the help of a gun.”

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 pm

Oakrugia wrote:
Essu Beti wrote:Iksana makes a rude noise. “If I were an anarchist, do you really think I’d be here? And guess what, sugar-puff, my nation needs guns. You ever tried spear-hunting crocodiles in open water? Why should families in my nation starve because you decided they were too traumatized to handle the tools we need to feed ourselves?”

Sherman sighs. "You know, you need to value protection too. Not only is it to protect the citizens of your country, but it is very important to handle a weapon and how to use it properly. If you let the mentally ill people go around and hold those lethal weapons, you will end up dealing with a crime scene or a murder."

"And we will deal with that bridge when we get there." Eve starts again after taking a drag from her cigarette, "Either way you are severely lacking in your understanding of mental disorders. 90% of them don't make you want to murder anyone. So you would be needlessly punishing 90% for the actions of a few."
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Oakrugia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:"Against." Eve says as she takes the ever present cigarette out of her mouth. "Thermodolia isn't going to let the WA meddle in something that is obviously our affair. Only us Thermodolians should be allowed to decide the regulations on guns for Thermodolia and her people."

Sherman is disappointed. "Then why are you here..? You said you don't want the WA to meddle in your government, so why reply back when you got other major stuff to handle?"

"No I didn't say meddle in our government, I said we don't want the WA to meddle in something we feel is a national affair, are you hard of hearing or something ambassador?" Eve replied tersely
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

West Guam
Attaché

Founded: Oct 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby West Guam » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Essu Beti wrote:
Oakrugia wrote:Sherman sighs. "You know, you need to value protection too. Not only is it to protect the citizens of your country, but it is very important to handle a weapon and how to use it properly. If you let the mentally ill people go around and hold those lethal weapons, you will end up dealing with a crime scene or a murder."

((OOC: I’m not sure if it’s just part of your character or not, but I feel the need to mention that “mentally ill” is not synonymous with “homicidal”))

“Yes, protection is important. The kind of protection that comes with having a gun on hand. Let me tell you, a lot more of my people would have survived if we’d had the ability to defend ourselves. Say, with the help of a gun.”

Ambassador Lingard is very anxious to get in on the conversation. He starts to speak confidently and says, “This is a very common misconception when it comes to this topic. We aren’t taking anyone’s guns away! We are just trying to protect those who have a mental illness that might make them unable to comply with rules and regulations related to gun ownership, and those that could possibly be harmed by these people. I understand if you believe that everyone in your nation should have guns for whatever reason, but this is common sense. In what world do you want a mentally ill person yielding a firearm, walking down the street adjacent to where your child and their friends are playing ball?” He then takes a deep breath, a large gulp of water, and waits for the next response.
| WEST GUAMIAN NEWS | The Nation of West Guam is currently looking to establish new diplomatic, economic, and military ties with nations around the world! | Indoor dining in all provinces will be capped at 25% capacity until further notice to limit the spread of COVID-19 | The WG Constitution has been amended to limit presidential terms to five years.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:12 pm

West Guam wrote:Ambassador Lingard is very anxious to get in on the conversation. He starts to speak confidently and says, “This is a very common misconception when it comes to this topic. We aren’t taking anyone’s guns away! We are just trying to protect those who have a mental illness that might make them unable to comply with rules and regulations related to gun ownership, and those that could possibly be harmed by these people. I understand if you believe that everyone in your nation should have guns for whatever reason, but this is common sense. In what world do you want a mentally ill person yielding a firearm, walking down the street adjacent to where your child and their friends are playing ball?” He then takes a deep breath, a large gulp of water, and waits for the next response.

“By mentally ill, do you mean my sister, who can’t see a man in uniform without breaking down in tears? My dear friend, who has routine panic attacks? Or how about my intern, who wakes up screaming in the night and who we pretend doesn’t wake us up with it? There’s a lot of Betians with trauma issues. And guess what? We need to eat. And that means hunting, because seven out of ten of us are obligate carnivores.”

Oakrugia
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Oakrugia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Essu Beti wrote:
West Guam wrote:Ambassador Lingard is very anxious to get in on the conversation. He starts to speak confidently and says, “This is a very common misconception when it comes to this topic. We aren’t taking anyone’s guns away! We are just trying to protect those who have a mental illness that might make them unable to comply with rules and regulations related to gun ownership, and those that could possibly be harmed by these people. I understand if you believe that everyone in your nation should have guns for whatever reason, but this is common sense. In what world do you want a mentally ill person yielding a firearm, walking down the street adjacent to where your child and their friends are playing ball?” He then takes a deep breath, a large gulp of water, and waits for the next response.

“By mentally ill, do you mean my sister, who can’t see a man in uniform without breaking down in tears? My dear friend, who has routine panic attacks? Or how about my intern, who wakes up screaming in the night and who we pretend doesn’t wake us up with it? There’s a lot of Betians with trauma issues. And guess what? We need to eat. And that means hunting, because seven out of ten of us are obligate carnivores.”

"How cruel of your family to hunt for flesh. As in the mentally ill, I mean the people who have a mild condition, people who might have a decent disorder, and may not be careful of properly using a gun! This is not something you would ignore, it may be something useful for the protection of the society, and your family. What if someone attempts to kill one of your family members and are mentally ill? This is why we need to protect them in order to protect you from getting hurt. That's the point."
Bye.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:36 pm

"The world assembly is a diverse body made up of thousands of different cultures and hundreds of different species. I advise the delegate from Oakrugia to take more care in passing judgement on peoples they have little understanding of. My biggest concern with this proposal is that I cannot make head or tail of many of the mandates."
Last edited by Aclion on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Oakrugia wrote:"How cruel of your family to hunt for flesh. As in the mentally ill, I mean the people who have a mild condition, people who might have a decent disorder, and may not be careful of properly using a gun! This is not something you would ignore, it may be something useful for the protection of the society, and your family. What if someone attempts to kill one of your family members and are mentally ill? This is why we need to protect them in order to protect you from getting hurt. That's the point."

“Do you not have a clue what “obligate carnivore” means? See these teeth?” Iksana pulls his bottom lip down to reveal a pointy canine tooth. “Elves who try to live on plants alone go blind and die. There’s nothing cruel about survival. And hey guess what, if you drop a bunch of impoverished refugees on an island with no infrastructure, hunting’s gonna happen. Even if the hunter is prone to panic attacks, or night terrors, or constantly checks the door to make sure it’s locked because that’s how the mob got in last time.”

“If someone tries to kill my family, I’ll shoot them. With a gun. I will not lose more family, not to civilians, not to the military, never again.”

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Oakrugia wrote:

Recognizing the limitation of firearms within people who have a mentally or serious problem, as appending through their condition that any use of lethal weapons could cause internal harm,

uhhh... so you mention the mental health and define it which is all fine and dandy, but pray tell... what do you mean by, "serious problem?" It seems to fall specifically outside the realm of mental health...

We find this resolution falls short of giving a solid definition of mental illness as it could arguably be anything including ADD.
Eternally salty, quite tired, and perhaps looking for a brighter future.

Byzantii
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantii » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:44 pm

What'd the Mentally 3 ever do to you?

heh...
BRNN: ByzantineAir now expanding International Flights to many continents, faster and more efficient designs are rumored to be in progress. -+- Internet Neutrality laws now set-in-stone by the Byzantine parliament. -+- World Council officially abolished by Byzantine law.

Year: 2019

We're not in debt. This is not Greece. Get yo facts straight.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:56 am

Oakrugia wrote:

The General Assembly,

Believing that the purchase of firearms are only implemented from request to the government, especially tools that may be dangerous and hazardous to be used upon other natural resources,

Recognizing the need to limit the accessibility of firearms tolimitation of firearms within the mentally-challenged,people who have a mentally or serious problem, as appending through their condition that any use of lethal weapons could cause internal harm, out of a desire to preserve their own well-being, and the well-being of others,

Believing that while gun access may fairly be considered a right by certain nations, it is certainly not an absolute right; rather, member nations have an interest, if not a moral obligation, in regulating access to firearms,

Hoping to protect the mentally ill from reckless activity of the use of guns and artillery, as said to be upon having problems that were dealt in the past, or possibly dealing with issues such as depression and/or suicidal thoughts,

Therefore, shall enact rules of this proposal for the protection of both the disabled/mentally ill and the residents of all nations, as further added here:-

1. Defines "mentally-challenged individual" "mental illness” as a sapient being person experiencing medically-diagnosedwho is experiencing disorders connected to the mind,often displacing a stressed expression from levels of confusion,

2. . Defines “firearms” as any type of weapon that is used for self-defense or training that shoots projectiles using gun powder or a similar substance,

1. Member nations (a) shall overlook the importance of using firearms and self-defense, as well as (b) proclaim a “firearms license” in order to both keep and use any lethal weapon, though must be kept off from public,

2. The Mental Illness & Disabilityled Foundation of the WA [MIDFWA] shall keep track of activities relating to mental illness and depression-related problems, at which will help the people affected and will gain support to help sustain a better life,

3. Member nations shall prohibit such habits from happening at a certain area, in order to protect the safety of the mentally ill for their future.

Co-Authored by West Guam

Suggestion. Strike means delete, bold means add, red text means I have no Idea what you're trying to say.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:49 am

Oakrugia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Have you looked at GAR#399, Clause 5?"

Yes, in fact, IA has already told me about that. I will try to edit some parts of the proposal that seems to have been related in Clause 5.

"Then you know that this is illegal. The mentally ill owning a firearm is not an imminently lawless action, and GAR#399 Clause 5 prohibits WA action in restricting firearm ownership in nations beyond those exceptions."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:07 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Oakrugia wrote:Yes, in fact, IA has already told me about that. I will try to edit some parts of the proposal that seems to have been related in Clause 5.

"Then you know that this is illegal. The mentally ill owning a firearm is not an imminently lawless action, and GAR#399 Clause 5 prohibits WA action in restricting firearm ownership in nations beyond those exceptions."

"Their owning a firearm is not an immently lawless action, but pose a danger of performing an immently lawless action. Such, in the eyes of our Delegation, is surely enough to count as legal."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly