NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] The Soil Within

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Abecouris
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] The Soil Within

Postby Abecouris » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:36 am

Maybe it would be possible for the farmers to get mad at the government for a lack of good soil, and pester the government to change that. This can change your sector agriculture and civil rights. If anyone's done this already, you can just remind me. I may do a draft of the issue later.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When The Sun Falls
We Shall Strike Back

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:25 am

Abecouris wrote:Maybe it would be possible for the farmers to get mad at the government for a lack of good soil, and pester the government to change that. This can change your sector agriculture and civil rights. If anyone's done this already, you can just remind me. I may do a draft of the issue later.

Doesn't sound familiar, so I think it would be an original topic. Go for it.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Abecouris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Abecouris » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:55 am

I'll make a draft soon.
When The Sun Falls
We Shall Strike Back

Abecouris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Digging Up Dirt

Postby Abecouris » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:35 am

Draft One, The Soil Within

Farmers across @@NAME@@ are complaining about low soil quality in their farms. As a result, they've taken to your office to demand better soil.

Option One
"We demand better soil!" cries local farmer @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Our crops are failing and it's all because the government does not care whatsoever about the quality of our soil!" "If we get better soil, we can grow better crops which can feed the PEOPLE!" "Think about the people for God's sake!"

Option Two
"The farmers are asking for better soil?" Your Secretary of Industry questions. "If you go with their demand, they'll waste valuable land we can use to help the people with better needs." "Whatever you do, don't listen to them! They are an obstacle to the development of @@NAME@@!"

(I kinda expect you to revise this. I feel like this cannot be perfect.)

Draft Two
Title: The Soil Within

Description: Farmers across @@NAME@@ are complaining about low soil quality in their farms. As a result, they've taken to your office to demand better soil.

Validity: Nation must have bad agricultural industry. 500 or less.

Option One
"We demand better soil!" cries local farmer @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Our crops are failing and it's all because the government does not care whatsoever about the quality of our soil!" "If we get better soil, we can grow better crops which can feed the PEOPLE!" "Think about the people for God's sake!"
Effect: Fruits are becoming more cheaper in @@NAME@@.

Option Two
"The farmers are asking for better soil?" Your Secretary of Industry questions. "If you go with their demand, they'll waste valuable land we can use to help the people with better needs." "Whatever you do, don't listen to them! They are an obstacle to the development of @@NAME@@!"
Effect: Farmers are being turned into workers as farms are demolished.

Draft Three
Title: Digging Up Dirt

Description: Farmers across @@NAME@@ are complaining about low funds from the government. As a result, they head to your office to give more funding to agricultural societies.

Option One
"We demand more money!" cries local farmer @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Our crops are failing and it's all because the government does not care whatsoever about the farmers and what they do for @@NAME@@!" "If the government would give us money, we can grow better crops which can feed the PEOPLE!" "Think about the people for God's sake!"

Option Two
"The farmers are asking for more funding?" Your Secretary of Industry questions. "If you go with their demand, they'll waste valuable money that could be used to go elsewhere!" "Whatever you do, don't listen to them! They are an obstacle to the development of @@NAME@@!"
Effect: Farmers are being turned into workers as farms are demolished.

Draft Four
Title: Digging Up Dirt

Description: Farmers across @@NAME@@ are complaining about low funds from the government. As a result, they head to your office to give more funding to agricultural societies.

Option One
"We demand more money!" cries local farmer @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Our crops are failing and it's all because the government does not care whatsoever about the farmers and what they do for @@NAME@@!" "If the government would give us money, we can grow better crops which can feed the PEOPLE!" "Think about the people for God's sake!"
Benefits: Civil Rights, Sector: Agriculture
Disadvantages: Economy

Option Two
"The farmers are asking for more funding?" Your Secretary of Industry questions. "If you go with their demand, they'll waste valuable money that could be used to 3D Print Food!" "If we 3D Print food, we won't need farmers!" "Whatever you do, don't listen to them! They are an obstacle to the development of @@NAME@@!"
Effect: Farmers are being turned into workers for developing 3D Printed Food as farms are demolished.
Benefits: Scientific Advancement, Economy
Disadvantages: Secctor: Agriculture
Last edited by Abecouris on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
When The Sun Falls
We Shall Strike Back

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Taken the liberty of retitling your thread.

Draft Two
Title: The Soil Within

Is this a reference of some sort?

If not, I'm thinking there's potential here for puns around soil = poo, or soiled = dirty. A title like "Digging Up Dirt" maybe.

Description: Farmers across @@NAME@@ are complaining about low soil quality in their farms. As a result, they've taken to your office to demand better soil.

To the point in the first sentence. The second sentence is redundant - if a second sentence doesn't add story or humour, then stop at the first.

Validity: Nation must have bad agricultural industry. 500 or less.

I'd say no validity check is needed.

Option One

Damn, you've lost me now. If you're going to do an issue on soil quality, do a little research and find the ways which this achieved in real life. I don't know much of the subject, but a quick brainstorm suggests to me crop rotation, chemical fertilisers, sewage sludge, and economy shifting to a non-agricultural pattern. These should be the sorts of options you need to propose, presenting the selling points of each, and humorously implying the downsides in the effect lines and counter-arguments.

This is a good topic idea. Do a little reading, and do it justice please.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abecouris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Abecouris » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm

You may need another batch of checking, but I'm going to try and do this (maybe) issue justice.
When The Sun Falls
We Shall Strike Back

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Take a look at #170, #235.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:02 pm

Good point in 235. Try to keep it distinct from that one.

Abecouris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Abecouris » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:20 pm

I've seen the descriptions of both. I think I'm barely different from both.

If not, tell me how I can fix it.
When The Sun Falls
We Shall Strike Back

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Hello Abecouris, not a bad little issue you got here. However, why does the person in option 2 not want better crops? Don't they eat?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Abecouris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Abecouris » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:32 pm

I see the flaw here, but I don't know how I could justify or fix it. Maybe he's naive? If so how did he get the job? Hmmm.. Maybe he just thinks we could 3D print food.. so option 2 would get you some bonus points for Scientific Advancement.. I will fix that!
When The Sun Falls
We Shall Strike Back

Abecouris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Abecouris » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:46 pm

I rechecked 235, and as far as I know I've stayed away from copying it. 170 was never a concern, as it was far away to begin with. Just waiting for Candlewhisper Archive to review my issue again.
When The Sun Falls
We Shall Strike Back

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:42 am

Don't wait on me, mate. I tend to give most issues I'm interested in a single round of criticism only, then leave it to the community. Time management thing, you understand.

Abecouris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Abecouris » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:04 am

Ah. I'll be waiting for community assistance, then.
When The Sun Falls
We Shall Strike Back

Abecouris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Abecouris » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Abecouris wrote:Ah. I'll be waiting for community assistance, then.

Guys, it's been 9 days.
When The Sun Falls
We Shall Strike Back

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:03 pm

I think you should go back to writing about soil quality rather than funding. Soil quality is a more interesting topic. CWA already gave you some suggestions for solutions to soil quality.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Why is the soil terrible? Is it a matter of climate/terrain? Are you located so deep in the Arctic/Antarctic/desert that crops can't grow? And if so, what exactly do you want the government to do about it? It might be funny to include a crackpot conspiracy theorist who thinks the government can control the weather. The again, cloud seeding is an actual real thing, but I'm not sure if it'll work in the desert. The United Arab Emirates is building a giant mountain to direct rainfall, but that's about all you can do. And none of these would work in the Arctic/Antarctic where the problem is too much cold and lack of rainfall, despite mountainous terrain. And it wouldn't work in, for example, the Australian desert, where there are mountains but no rain, and you might wanna look into the impact of the midnight sun/polar night on crops. I suppose they could relocate farmers
Poor soil quality because too many pesticides and over farming? Well yea, but that's more the farmers fault rather than the govertment's.
I suppose they could fund ideas such as drip irrigation, but I don't see why they would be angry with the government, as oppose to just asking nicely for subsidies, unless they have been constantlu rejected, in which case, that's a different issue
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Australian Republic wrote:The again, cloud seeding is an actual real thing, but I'm not sure if it'll work in the desert. The United Arab Emirates is building a giant mountain to direct rainfall, but that's about all you can do. And none of these would work in the Arctic/Antarctic where the problem is too much cold and lack of rainfall, despite mountainous terrain. And it wouldn't work in, for example, the Australian desert, where there are mountains but no rain, and you might wanna look into the impact of the midnight sun/polar night on crops.

Climate and soil quality are separate issues.

I suppose they could relocate farmers
Poor soil quality because too many pesticides and over farming? Well yea, but that's more the farmers fault rather than the govertment's.
I suppose they could fund ideas such as drip irrigation, but I don't see why they would be angry with the government, as oppose to just asking nicely for subsidies, unless they have been constantlu rejected, in which case, that's a different issue

This is more relevant.

Just because it's the farmers' own fault doesn't mean they won't get mad and yell at the government to help them. People bitch at governments all the time about problems they brought on themselves.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?