NATION

PASSWORD

Beta 009: Authoritarianism Rescaling

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Land Between Places
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Between Places » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:06 am

CheeseSnackistan wrote:Will this proposal (or any of the others), if implemented, alter our nation's trend lines? Right now, both our political freedoms and civil rights are "World Benchmark," and we have striven for many years to achieve/maintain those designations. It would be most frustrating, to say the very least, to have to re-achieve those designations if these proposals throw them off.

I am also curious about this change. I was at essentially Zero and while I agree that the rescaling is necessary (due largely in part to the vast number of nations who revel in their authoritarian status) I would be very disappointed to see a dip in my trend.

Winterstar
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Winterstar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:38 am

Looks like a good change to me.

Druga Republika Srpska
Civilian

Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Druga Republika Srpska » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Can't wait to have 13,700 milliStalins.

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:36 pm

CheeseSnackistan wrote:Will this proposal (or any of the others), if implemented, alter our nation's trend lines? Right now, both our political freedoms and civil rights are "World Benchmark," and we have striven for many years to achieve/maintain those designations. It would be most frustrating, to say the very least, to have to re-achieve those designations if these proposals throw them off.

no. this change will not affect those stats. this change will affect the authoritarianism stat by changing its unit of measurement, and nothing else.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Merconitonitopia wrote:

no. this change will not affect those stats. this change will affect the authoritarianism stat by changing its unit of measurement, and nothing else.

^^^ Correct.

Martigues
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Martigues » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:15 am

Bit unrelated, but how do you actually test it?

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:57 am

Martigues wrote:Bit unrelated, but how do you actually test it?

https://www.nationstates.net/page=beta

this page will show all current betas and demonstrate how they will alter your nation's stats
selecting "Sample-Test" on any of them will yield a random sample of nations and show how they will be affected

Martigues
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Martigues » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:04 am

Merconitonitopia wrote:
Martigues wrote:Bit unrelated, but how do you actually test it?

https://www.nationstates.net/page=beta

this page will show all current betas and demonstrate how they will alter your nation's stats
selecting "Sample-Test" on any of them will yield a random sample of nations and show how they will be affected

Oh, I thought it affects yourself.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 am

Martigues wrote:
Merconitonitopia wrote:https://www.nationstates.net/page=beta

Oh, I thought it affects yourself.

It will affect your own nation, as well as all other nations. Go to the page and push "Test" to see how all current betas would alter your nation's stats if implemented.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Dragonisia
Chargé d'Affaires

New York Times Democracy

Postby Dragonisia » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Buahahah.. 153,000% increase. I'm all for this since it's only a renumeration.
APROUDMEMBEROF
THENEW PACIFICORDER

Personal Motto: L'État, c'est moi
Full Country Name: Dragonisia (PT), Dragonisia (MT), The Dragonisian Collective of Individual Personas(FT)
Demonym: Dragonisian
Rulers: Emperor Maelstrom Vortex, Empress Koudoawaia Vortex
Capital: Dragonisia
Government Type: Absolute Imperial with a representative democratic legislature. (PT/MT) Collective of DIstinct Minds (FT)
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=dragonisia/detail=factbook
Tech: Willing to play at any tech range and fiction class.
Foreign Policy: Unrestricted Diplomacy
Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.64
More than you.
Likely, less than you. I've been inactive for a little while. This will likely change quickly.

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008

Postby Mushet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:29 am

I like it, make nations that want absolutely 0 on authoritarianism have to really earn it :p
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Sirajganj
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sirajganj » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:52 pm

Hi! I'm the same person as Martigues but I switched my WA.

Anyways, I'm all for this! Greater granularity = more significant changes.

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:54 am

I agree with scaling more strongly when approaching 0. However, currently Authoritarianism seems to jump to certain values, at least if it is pretty high (like 12.12, 12.89, 13.7, and 14.55 which is max). So the question is, would this change if we re-scale the stat? Otherwise, it seems like there is no point on switching from Stalins to milliStalins.
Unless there's something I'm missing.
Exclusively OOC nation | Prominent stat player as Aryax | Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Commentary about WA resolutions is posted on a personal capacity, and does not represent the opinion of 10000 Islands.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Vivolkha wrote:I agree with scaling more strongly when approaching 0. However, currently Authoritarianism seems to jump to certain values, at least if it is pretty high (like 12.12, 12.89, 13.7, and 14.55 which is max). So the question is, would this change if we re-scale the stat?

A little bit, yes. Authoritarianism is derived from your average freedoms, which are measured internally from -100 to +100, and those steps you see correspond to average values of 97, 98, 99, and 100. This beta uses floating-point values instead of integers, so a nation with an average value of 98.4 will no longer be truncated to 98, and the steps should mostly disappear. (97 will probably still be common, as it's a frequently chosen starting value.) The maximum value of 14.55 Stalins / 14,550 milliStalins will remain.

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 am

Actually, according to a series of beta tests that I ran on the world's currently most authoritarian nations, the new cap is exactly 14,551.92 milliStalins.
Exclusively OOC nation | Prominent stat player as Aryax | Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Commentary about WA resolutions is posted on a personal capacity, and does not represent the opinion of 10000 Islands.

Triangle And Square
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Triangle And Square » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:10 am

Drasnia wrote:Hard to argue with this one other than saying I'll miss having 0.00 Stalins.

same here. :(
Tinfect wrote:OOC:
Absolutely not, this is a patently absurd and frankly disgusting change that I am absolutely appalled you would even suggest. Absolutely unacceptable.

He Qixinian WA Mission.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:55 pm

This is good. At least now there will be greater distinction between nations that have very similar levels of authoritarianism.

Also looking forward to the other betas being implemented (especially the religion/science one).
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 am

This sounds excellent.

As the Dictator once said: “One Stalin is a tragedy. milliStalins are a statistic.”
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

First And Only Archive
Political Columnist

Founded: May 02, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby First And Only Archive » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:00 am

Thinking again on this stat today, and went through the census to find some nations with authoritarianism of 1000 milliStalins, which I suppose means they're just as authoritarian as Stalin, no more or less.

Lot of cool looking nations in that category. On the world census page they start around 38682.

No point to this, just saying that the scale seems more or less well calibrated, and there's some great nations at this level.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:02 am

(above post was from me, by the way, forgot to switch accounts)
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical