NATION

PASSWORD

Change the text of the WA Compliance Commission's telegram

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Change the text of the WA Compliance Commission's telegram

Postby Aclion » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:29 am

This suggestion was inspired by a discussion in Forests RMB.

Short version: there is a disconnect between the way WA compliance is portrayed in the World Assembly Compliance Commission's telegrams and the position of staff and the rest of the game regarding WA compliance.
To address this I suggest that the telegrams text be changed to more closely align with "reality". Something like
The World Assembly wishes to notify you of the passage of the resolution [resolution title goes here]. As a member of the World Assembly %nation% is bound by General Assembly law. Please ensure that %nation% is compliant with all the resolutions mandates.

Long version: Currently WA law has no effect on nations beside a small stat change. Players are perfectly capable of running their nations however they like regardless of what the General Assembly thinks of it. Changing that would require going going through all the issues every time the GA passes a new resolution to ensure that WA members would only get options that comply with WA law. Obviously the editing team is having none of that, and has taken the position that it is up to players to comply with with WA law; or not, as the case may be. This view is echoed in the GA where it's accepted that WA resolutions are not actually enforced by the World Assembly and the rules rightly treat attempt to mandate certain issue options as a meta-gaming violation.

On the other hand the telegrams sent out upon a new resolution's passage claim that the WA enforces strict adherence, even changing a nations laws so that they comply with the newly passed resolution.

On an unreleated note the subject field is too short. Booooo :c
Last edited by [violet] on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Ownzone
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 24, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ownzone » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:57 pm

I second this request and would like to add a review of the text in the help menu especially the part about the World Assembly:

The World Assembly is the world's governing body. It's your chance to mold the world to your vision, by voting for resolutions you like and scuttling the rest. However, it's a double-edged sword, because your nation will be affected by any resolutions that pass. (Unfortunately you can't obey the resolutions you like and ignore the rest.) In other words, it's a hot-bed of political intrigue and double-dealing.

Your nation can join the WA, but it's not compulsory. If you remain outside, you're unaffected by its decisions. If you're ready to mix it up in international politics, though, the WA is for you.

WA resolutions are a way to bring all member nations into line on a particular issue; be that environmental, democratic, free trade, or whatever.

These text and the curent text on the telegram imply that resolutions approved by the WA are mandatory regulation for WA members and internal laws have been enacted to make sure a nation is in compliance with the passed resolution. The latter part is certainly not true and the first part can be evaded. A good example is the Marriage Equility resolution. The resolution says I am required to allow same-sex couples to apply for and receive state-authorized marriage. However it does not override previous choices I made with issues regarding this subject nor does it prevent me from receiving issue no.314 the very same day the resolution is passed which allows me to ban marriage altogether thereby violating the rules set in the resolution.
Several involved parties on the Forest RMB have stated that it is technically difficult to synchronise the issues with the WA resolutions and that it can even be questioned whether that needs to be the case in the first place. I think it does but that techical difficulties got in the way......however if they are not in line and sometimes can even contradict eachother it should be clear from the texts that that is a possibility and that approving a WA resolution does not automatically bring all member nations into line and compliance on a particular issue as it now suggests it does.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:38 pm

I think it would be preferable if the WA notification telegrams were just abolished and replaced with equivalent notices. Notices are better since they can be filtered using the Subscriptions page. The only reason why the WA notification telegrams are telegrams is because they predate the notices system.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Frenighen
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenighen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Personally, I like WA telegrams. They make you think that WA is a serious international organisation and stuff.

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:32 pm

Auralia wrote:I think it would be preferable if the WA notification telegrams were just abolished and replaced with equivalent notices. Notices are better since they can be filtered using the Subscriptions page. The only reason why the WA notification telegrams are telegrams is because they predate the notices system.

This would also solve it, but really I like getting the teles, like Frenighen said. They also feel more personal then the notifications.
I mean it's still better the the contradiction, but I would be sad.
Last edited by Aclion on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:53 pm

Auralia wrote:I think it would be preferable if the WA notification telegrams were just abolished and replaced with equivalent notices. Notices are better since they can be filtered using the Subscriptions page. The only reason why the WA notification telegrams are telegrams is because they predate the notices system.

Totally agree.

Or at least have a filter to block these incredibly annoying TGs.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:22 pm

Agreed.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:00 am

I disagree. Keeping the notification as an unblockable TG makes it rather harder for players to "justify" non-compliance by claiming that they didn't see any notification of a resolution's passage.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:14 am

Bears Armed wrote:

I disagree. Keeping the notification as an unblockable TG makes it rather harder for players to "justify" non-compliance by claiming that they didn't see any notification of a resolution's passage.

Can't we just tell them they're wrong and that WA resolutions are binding regardless of whether the player opts out of the notifications? Also, isn't the act of opting out an implicit acknowledgement of the obligation to manually monitor the passage of WA resolutions?

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:18 am

Keeping the TG as mandatory may cut down on the "Hey why'd [x] stat drop?" questions after a bill passes.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Luna Amore wrote:Keeping the TG as mandatory may cut down on the "Hey why'd [x] stat drop?" questions after a bill passes.

Again, though, there's no reason why that information can't be included in a notice.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Auralia wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Keeping the TG as mandatory may cut down on the "Hey why'd [x] stat drop?" questions after a bill passes.

Again, though, there's no reason why that information can't be included in a notice.
Except you previously said they were good because they could be filtered?
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Auralia wrote:Again, though, there's no reason why that information can't be included in a notice.
Except you previously said they were good because they could be filtered?

Yes. If you want to know why stats drop, you can stay subscribed to the notices. If you don't want to know why, you can unsubscribe. Player's choice.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:46 am

Bears Armed wrote:

How do TGs warning of the passage of SC resolutions help enforce compliance?
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Ainin wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:I disagree. Keeping the notification as an unblockable TG makes it rather harder for players to "justify" non-compliance by claiming that they didn't see any notification of a resolution's passage.

How do TGs warning of the passage of SC resolutions help enforce compliance?
Good question.

I think perhaps it should be a non-filterable notice that warns that it will affect stats (doesn’t have to say which ones)? It’s annoying to have to explain that stat effects are just WA resolutions kicking in.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

JURISDICTIONS
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JURISDICTIONS » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:56 pm

I'd like for the OP and supporters to note that WA compliance is enforced. The effect of the enforcement of the WA resolutions is what causes the national statistics to change in the first place.

Regardless of your answering of daily issues, your nation will always be presumed to be in compliance with WA mandates. This is not new.

Therefore, we do not need a change in language for the World Assembly telegrams. The facts, from the in-character perspective of NS, are clear that your nation is always and forever in compliance with the World Assembly, so long as you are a member of that body.
You can call me "Juris" for short. Also, you don't have to type my nation name in all caps either.
Last edited by Max Barry on Mon Jan 01, 0001 12:01 am. Edited 000000000000 times in total.
Takaram wrote:Irony. Rule 4 prevents a repeal based on Rule 4 violations, meaning that Rule 4 does not comply with Rule 4. It should be struck down.
Kingdom of Great Britain - Lord Chief Justice
The East Pacific - Viceroy (Chief Justice) and Viceroy Designee (Asst. Chief Justice)
Osiris - Elder (Justice)

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:36 am

JURISDICTIONS wrote:I'd like for the OP and supporters to note that WA compliance is enforced. The effect of the enforcement of the WA resolutions is what causes the national statistics to change in the first place.

Regardless of your answering of daily issues, your nation will always be presumed to be in compliance with WA mandates. This is not new.

Therefore, we do not need a change in language for the World Assembly telegrams. The facts, from the in-character perspective of NS, are clear that your nation is always and forever in compliance with the World Assembly, so long as you are a member of that body.

Not's not a position supported by the staff or GA law. It only appear in the WA compliance telegram.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:22 am

Aclion wrote:Not's not a position supported by the staff or GA law. It only appear in the WA compliance telegram.

Double negatives aside, don't presume to speak for staff. I completely agree with JURISDICTIONS interpretation, while allowing for the possibility of roleplaying noncompliance by breaking your own national laws. The laws and stats are automatically in compliance by virtue of your WA membership. That doesn't mean that your citizens (and/or lawmakers) never break the law.

JURISDICTIONS
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JURISDICTIONS » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:29 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Aclion wrote:Not's not a position supported by the staff or GA law. It only appear in the WA compliance telegram.

Double negatives aside, don't presume to speak for staff. I completely agree with JURISDICTIONS interpretation, while allowing for the possibility of roleplaying noncompliance by breaking your own national laws. The laws and stats are automatically in compliance by virtue of your WA membership. That doesn't mean that your citizens (and/or lawmakers) never break the law.

Thank you! *bows*

Aclion wrote:
JURISDICTIONS wrote:I'd like for the OP and supporters to note that WA compliance is enforced. The effect of the enforcement of the WA resolutions is what causes the national statistics to change in the first place.

Not's not a position supported by the staff or GA law. It only appear in the WA compliance telegram.

Maybe so. However, the in-character explanation of the game about the fact that your nation will always be in compliance is clear.

"Laws have been enacted", is a true statement. Your national statistics are changed based on the different type of resolutions that pass because the laws of your nation are changed when the resolution goes into effect.

Additionally, from a legal and pie-in-the-sky theoretical standpoint, your nation can *try* to disobey the World Assembly. I say "try" because the World Assembly resolutions are a higher law than your national issues lawmaking. Therefore, we can assume that the World Assembly Compliance Commission has its ways from keeping your illegal national law from being implemented. (Also, as Fris mentioned, you can role-play people breaking the law, if that's something you're interested in doing.)

Either way, it's not about what GA Law says, it's not about what the Staff says, it's about the lore of the game. The lore says that the World Assembly has full compliance from all nations, all the time. Therefore, it does.

Now, the mechanics of the game are an entirely different ballpark. -- National Issues are made for all nations to enjoy, and not every nation is in the WA. Furthermore, the game does not keep track of your answers, it just changes your national statistics to reflect your change in policy. This commonly shared ability between National Issues and WA Resolutions to change your national statistics is the underpinning, in my view, of how the WA keeps your nation compliant. It has nothing to do with actual game compliance because the WA resolutions are always being repealed and passed. It would be a nightmare for anyone, including the volunteer staff to try to sort out the legal quagmire between current WA resolutions, and the plethora of National Issues.

So, I applaud you Aclion, for trying to argue your point. However, I do not believe that we need a change in the WA telegram.
Last edited by JURISDICTIONS on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can call me "Juris" for short. Also, you don't have to type my nation name in all caps either.
Last edited by Max Barry on Mon Jan 01, 0001 12:01 am. Edited 000000000000 times in total.
Takaram wrote:Irony. Rule 4 prevents a repeal based on Rule 4 violations, meaning that Rule 4 does not comply with Rule 4. It should be struck down.
Kingdom of Great Britain - Lord Chief Justice
The East Pacific - Viceroy (Chief Justice) and Viceroy Designee (Asst. Chief Justice)
Osiris - Elder (Justice)

Norskhavn
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Norskhavn » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:33 am

Aclion wrote:This suggestion was inspired by a discussion in Forests RMB.

Short version: there is a disconnect between the way WA compliance is portrayed in the World Assembly Compliance Commission's telegrams and the position of staff and the rest of the game regarding WA compliance.
To address this I suggest that the telegrams text be changed to more closely align with "reality". Something like
The World Assembly wishes to notify you of the passage of the resolution [resolution title goes here]. As a member of the World Assembly %nation% is bound by General Assembly law. Please ensure that %nation% is compliant with all the resolutions mandates.

Long version: Currently WA law has no effect on nations beside a small stat change. Players are perfectly capable of running their nations however they like regardless of what the General Assembly thinks of it. Changing that would require going going through all the issues every time the GA passes a new resolution to ensure that WA members would only get options that comply with WA law. Obviously the editing team is having none of that, and has taken the position that it is up to players to comply with with WA law; or not, as the case may be. This view is echoed in the GA where it's accepted that WA resolutions are not actually enforced by the World Assembly and the rules rightly treat attempt to mandate certain issue options as a meta-gaming violation.

On the other hand the telegrams sent out upon a new resolution's passage claim that the WA enforces strict adherence, even changing a nations laws so that they comply with the newly passed resolution.

On an unreleated note the subject field is too short. Booooo :c

I fully agree.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical