NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] A Sweet Deal

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Lynland-
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

[Submitted] A Sweet Deal

Postby Lynland- » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:36 am

Issue: The papers are abuzz after it came to light that your Minister of Finance, Chris Cash, used his insider knowledge that the government planned to invest in a local sweet manufacture, Sweetheart Deal, to buy shares in that company at a low price before the investment, with the share value going up 400% percent since the investment. Tensions are high as you must now handle this latest scandal.

Validity: Must be a Democracy, private industry must be legal

option: “Cash out!” bellows Opposition Leader @@RANDOMNAME@@, going characteristically red in the face with anger. “I demand that Cash pay the price. He must be fired at once and face trial for corruption. While we are about it, I insist the replacement Finance Minister require bipartisan support to be appointed.”
effect: Finance Ministers rarely last more than a week before being fired on suspicion of corruption

option: “This is all a filthy smear” insists a blubbering Cash, crying in your office while dabbing his eyes with banknotes. “I can’t help it that my good financial sense told me to invest in Sweetheart Deal. If anything I should be getting praised for showing good financial judgement! I’m sure if you investigate the opposition you’ll find that they are using the exact same insider knowledge to line their own pockets”.
effect: “I know you are but what am I?” is now considered a valid legal defence against corruption allegations

option: “Do we even need a Finance Minister?” yawns noted billionaire heiress @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, sipping a cocktail while being fanned by a muscular servant in a loincloth. “It seems to me that the free market works just fine without the government coming along and messing things up”. Handing you her drink she says “now be a dear and get me some more ice”.
effect: the invisible hand of the market is now the Minister of Finance

option: “You’re missing the real issue here!” declares avid Communist @@RANDOMNAME@@, while trying burn your copy of the popular board game “Plutocracy”. “The real issue is that capitalism is corrupting by its very nature! Nationalise all industry and place it firmly under the control of the proletariat vanguard of the revolution! With the workers in control the means of production, corruption will surely disappear, right?”
effect: sales on red berets hit an all time high just before the retail industry was nationalised
Last edited by Lynland- on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:37 am, edited 9 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:49 am

Feels like the issue is just asking "Insider trading, is it a crime?"

Because that seems a bit obvious in its answer to me. Maybe this could be a little morally grayer in some way?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Lynland-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lynland- » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Feels like the issue is just asking "Insider trading, is it a crime?"

Because that seems a bit obvious in its answer to me. Maybe this could be a little morally grayer in some way?

You mean like changing option 2 to being the Finance Minister arguing that insider trading should be legal? I can try do that.

I'd say it is more an issue on "what is the best response of dealing with instances of insider trading?", with the options then being:

1) Fire those responsible for insider trading and replace them.
2) Argue that everyone who can do it does do it so sweep it under the rug.
3) Curtail the size of the government to try prevent corruption.
4) View capitalism as inherently corrupting and so embrace communism.
Last edited by Lynland- on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lynland-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lynland- » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 am

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some more input. I don't want to rush the submission and I'll wait until the draft is a bit more polished.

Lynland-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lynland- » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:39 pm

Oh and the insider trader Finance Minister character, Chris Cash, is mostly based on now former US Health Secretary Tom Price.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:25 am

Nice little issue you got here, but insider traider is a crime. Is this is just asking should crime be prosecuted if commited by government? Because if so, why stop at one type of crime?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:28 am

Effect lines should not begin with a capital letter as they are not full sentences.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Lynland-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lynland- » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:54 am

Australian Republic wrote:Nice little issue you got here, but insider traider is a crime. Is this is just asking should crime be prosecuted if commited by government? Because if so, why stop at one type of crime?

I guess it is because this is a crime that politicians tend to get away with. Some politicians engage in crimes like sexual harassment and rape, and that could also be an interesting issue, although a little dark. To my knowledge there is already a "accusation of sleeping with your secretary" issue, and an issue involving a senior aide being unfaithful. This would be an issue that tries to cover an area that seems to be missing, that is the issue of insider trading.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Lynland- wrote:Some politicians engage in crimes like sexual harassment and rape, and that could also be an interesting issue, although a little dark.
Actually, we already have that one.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:05 pm

On the other hand, I don't think we have one about schemes and corruption going on in @@RELIGION@@.

I think someone was working on a draft about that... though they may have turned it into violetism?
I honestly kind-of preferred the @@RELIGION@@ one. :P

Er - no further comments as of now. Sorry. :blush:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Lynland-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lynland- » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:41 am

So anything further to add or edit? Or should I submit?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:49 am

It's only been four days... I'd suggest waiting a bit longer, but your choice. :?

I feel like this has a very similar feel to #039: Scandal Rocks @@NAME@@'s Government!,
whereby one of the government members is accused of something corrupt,
although this has to do with economics rather than sleeping around.

A key point is that 039's more of a "he didn't/he did/it doesn't matter" thing, while this looks more like a
"it's wrong/it's fine/dismiss the finance minister/remove investments" - which has more of a ring to #250: Recession, Depression, And Deficit.

Overall, I personally think this issue has too much overlap, so I don't have motivating to look into it much more.
I recommend working on a new draft, although if you feel inclined to continue working on this one, feel free.
After all, I could be completely wrong in my thinking. :P

Good luck, either way. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Lynland-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lynland- » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33 am

Jutsa wrote:It's only been four days... I'd suggest waiting a bit longer, but your choice. :?

I feel like this has a very similar feel to #039: Scandal Rocks @@NAME@@'s Government!,
whereby one of the government members is accused of something corrupt,
although this has to do with economics rather than sleeping around.

A key point is that 039's more of a "he didn't/he did/it doesn't matter" thing, while this looks more like a
"it's wrong/it's fine/dismiss the finance minister/remove investments" - which has more of a ring to #250: Recession, Depression, And Deficit.

Overall, I personally think this issue has too much overlap, so I don't have motivating to look into it much more.
I recommend working on a new draft, although if you feel inclined to continue working on this one, feel free.
After all, I could be completely wrong in my thinking. :P

Good luck, either way. :)

I'll wait a little longer for suggestions on how to polish this draft, and then submit either after more suggestions or after a while if no further suggestions come through.

Lynland-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lynland- » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:38 am

Alright I've submitted the issue and I'll see how that goes.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:51 am

Alright. Goodluck Lynland. :)

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:19 pm

Indeed, Good Luck
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Good luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?