NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED]Party on, @@LEADER@@!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED]Party on, @@LEADER@@!

Postby Fauxia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:58 pm

With Clasp of Controversy submitted and hopefully to be edited and accepted at some point, it's time to write another issue. As you may be able to tell, the title of this issue is an allusion to issue 120. I hope this isn't considered too similar to 447.

[the issue]Satirists have begun to take advantage of @@NAME@@'s easygoing ballot access rules. This became particularly obvious when the Society of Internationalist Liberal Localist Yuppies (SILLY) nearly won a seat in Parliament on the platform of "growing money on trees" and "popcorn for all" among other things. Political scientists predict that this may result in multiple seats for SILLY as soon as next elections.

[validity]must have elections, loose ballot rules, and political parties

[option 1]"How could we let this happen?" gasps leader of the Liberal Conservatives, @@RANDOMNAME@@, without noticing a secret microphone probably installed by SILLY. "This so-called party is the direct result of how loose our ballot access restrictions are! We need to crack down on parties that don't have actual positions! That way, none of these jesters gets into Parliament and votes down our legislation or something else ridiculous!"
[fallout]opposition parties are designated as joke parties and denied a place on ballots

[option 2]"Do we not have free speech, or do we think of that as archaic now?" inquisites Maxine Barrymore, leader of SILLY, while handing you an autographed copy of her book, Jessica in Government. "The fact that my party receives votes is just showing how unpopular the status quo is, but none of the parties out there seem to want to get rid of it! If the government starts doing something right for once, maybe these joke parties will begin to decline. Until then, keep us on the ballot, and defend the right to protest!"
[fallout]parliament now consists more of @@ANIMAL@@s than @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@

[option 3]"I have a better idea!" exclaims comedian Jon Warden, while painting a smile on your face. "You can learn a thing or two from this, @@LEADER@@! You should spice up your press conferences with a little humor! Dress up as a clown every now and then, crack a few jokes. Don’t take politics or even just life- so seriously- it isn’t permanent."
[fallout]most members of parliament fail to understand @@LEADER@@‘s jokes about obscure nations

[option 4]"Everyone seems to be ignoring the obvious solution," remarks founder of the Church Of @@LEADER@@, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while removing the microphone that @@HE@@ apparently installed. "You could get rid of this problem by doing away with elections and just installing yourself as supreme leader of @@NAME@@. That seems much more simple to me, and there will be less disagreement about it. Or if there is, you can just send in the military to silence the protesters."
[fallout]late-night satires frequently star military generals as guests
Last edited by Fauxia on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 11677
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:51 am

Good premise. After the UK general election with the great picture of Lord Buckethead next to Theresa May...

Image


...there was much talk of an issue around joke parties. Nothing ever happened though.

The trick here is creating an issue where the political freedom/free speech/let them be silly isn't the obviously correct one, ending up with 80% of respondents.

The best way to achieve that generally is to present TWO pro-freedom options, both equally reasonable but distinct in position.
Editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people.

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:48 pm

Wait, but how?
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 11677
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:10 am

Well... that's kind of up to you. All I can say is that it needs two pro-freedom options.

Maybe an option to allow them to exist, and to maybe follow their example, with some moderation. For example, to tell more jokes, and to be willing to laugh at yourself and your colleagues. "Perhaps, @@LEADER@@, you could don a silly hat at the next session of parliament, and in doing so show that you're a light-hearted soul and that you don't take yourself too seriously."
Editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people.

User avatar
True Democratic Socialism
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Sep 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby True Democratic Socialism » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:25 am

Bop

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:52 pm

True Democratic Socialism wrote:Bop
What?

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Well... that's kind of up to you. All I can say is that it needs two pro-freedom options.

Maybe an option to allow them to exist, and to maybe follow their example, with some moderation. For example, to tell more jokes, and to be willing to laugh at yourself and your colleagues. "Perhaps, @@LEADER@@, you could don a silly hat at the next session of parliament, and in doing so show that you're a light-hearted soul and that you don't take yourself too seriously."
Thanks!
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11675
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:37 am

Does this conflict with the issue about Bobo the Clown? Also, you should look up some of Australia's one issue party and other minor parties (some are pretty funny) just look at the sex party
As a Greek, Australian and person who hates BS, I may be abrupt and to the point. This is a reflection of my personality, not your work. I appologise if I offend you

I pledge to my loyalty to Australia, Greece and Jesus Christ
Western Sydney Represent!
My blog
7 published issues

Please sign the petition
https://www.change.org/p/the-government ... -australia

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:25 pm

New draft- do you like the references Monitor?
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 11677
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:04 am

Australian Republic wrote:Does this conflict with the issue about Bobo the Clown?


What issue are you talking about, because I can't find it.

If you mean the effect line to 182.1, Coco the Clown has been elected to the nation's parliament, then no, clearly there is no overlap.
Editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 11677
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:05 am

Liking the current draft, no other comments at present.
Editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people.

User avatar
Jutsa
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1302
Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:03 am

I would have voted for Lord Buckethead. Also, I second what CWA said. :D

Well... actually, this:
Don’t take politics or, better, life- so seriously- it isn’t permanent.”
It's a little hard to parse - for me, anyways. Any way to make it a little bit more fluid?
Don't mind me, just signatureless atm.

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Jutsa wrote:I would have voted for Lord Buckethead. Also, I second what CWA said. :D

Well... actually, this:
Don’t take politics or, better, life- so seriously- it isn’t permanent.”
It's a little hard to parse - for me, anyways. Any way to make it a little bit more fluid?
Yeah, that bothered me a bit too. We’ll see.
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Jutsa
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1302
Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Jutsa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Ah, another problem I spotted, Fauxia - option 3 uses “smart quotes” instead of "dumb ones".
Huh... I legitimately am curious why. :blush:
Don't mind me, just signatureless atm.

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Jutsa wrote:Ah, another problem I spotted, Fauxia - option 3 uses “smart quotes” instead of "dumb ones".
Huh... I legitimately am curious why. :blush:
Quirk of the keyboard, I guess. Fixed, anyway.
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:18 pm

So do y’all think this is ready to be submitted?
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 11677
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:02 am

Yes. Good issue.
Editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 11677
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:03 am

Mind you, I'd be inclined to change the title to a more direct pun on parties as celebrations. BUt we can work on that later.
Editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people.

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Mind you, I'd be inclined to change the title to a more direct pun on parties as celebrations. BUt we can work on that later.
I like this idea. I’ll think on it.
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:51 pm

If this gets accepted when I submit it and relatively unchanged, it will be the first issue with multiple Monitor references!
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Drasnia
Minister
 
Posts: 2259
Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Drasnia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:51 pm

How has this not been mentioned yet?

As for ideas for a title:

Third Party Pooper
The Party's Over
Party Crasher
Life of the Silly Party
Party on, @@LEADER@@!

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks, Drasnia! Took the last one.
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Shwe Tu Colony
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1744
Founded: Sep 27, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shwe Tu Colony » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:54 am

Bold words are my suggested changes.
[the issue]Satirists have begun to take advantage of @@NAME@@'s easygoing ballot access rules. This became particularly obvious when the Society of Internationalist Liberal Localist Yuppies (SILLY) nearly won a seat in Parliament on the platform of "growing money on trees" and "popcorn for all" among other tomfoolery. Political scientists predict that this may result in multiple seats for SILLY as soon as the next election.

[option 3]"I have a better idea!" exclaims comedian Jon Warden, while painting a smile on your face. "You can learn a thing or two from this, @@LEADER@@! You should spice up your press conferences with a little humor! Dress up as a clown every now and then, crack a few jokes. Don’t take politics or life so seriously — it isn’t eternal, after all!"
[fallout]most members of parliament fail to understand @@LEADER@@‘s jokes about obscure nations

[option 4]"Everyone seems to be ignoring the obvious solution," remarks founder of the Church Of @@LEADER@@, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while removing the microphone that @@HE@@ had apparently installed. "You could get rid of this problem by doing away with elections and just installing yourself as supreme leader of @@NAME@@. That seems much more simple to me, and there will be less disagreement about it. Or if there is, you can just send in the military to silence the protesters."
[fallout]late-night satires frequently star military generals as guests
"Idiots have a high chance of dying. & by high, we mean execution." Current kill count of prominent idiots: 70
If you compliment/thanked me, assume I've thanked you/said you're welcome but didn't write it out (feels strange to check on your thread expecting something new, only for it to have been a "thank you.")
Convenient em dash: —
Extension
Parfuhmerian Report {} Parfuhmerian Market Square opens | Parfuhmerie completes FFI-like Poison, sending samples to a nation that came back into existence | Ir'a Tar'rama leads archaeological group into newly discovered temple

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11675
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:05 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Does this conflict with the issue about Bobo the Clown?


What issue are you talking about, because I can't find it.

If you mean the effect line to 182.1, Coco the Clown has been elected to the nation's parliament, then no, clearly there is no overlap.

Yea, plus the one about letting dogs run
As a Greek, Australian and person who hates BS, I may be abrupt and to the point. This is a reflection of my personality, not your work. I appologise if I offend you

I pledge to my loyalty to Australia, Greece and Jesus Christ
Western Sydney Represent!
My blog
7 published issues

Please sign the petition
https://www.change.org/p/the-government ... -australia

User avatar
Fauxia
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Fauxia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:32 pm

:eek:
Shwe Tu Colony wrote:Bold words are my suggested changes.
[the issue]Satirists have begun to take advantage of @@NAME@@'s easygoing ballot access rules. This became particularly obvious when the Society of Internationalist Liberal Localist Yuppies (SILLY) nearly won a seat in Parliament on the platform of "growing money on trees" and "popcorn for all" among other tomfoolery. Political scientists predict that this may result in multiple seats for SILLY as soon as the next election.

[option 3]"I have a better idea!" exclaims comedian Jon Warden, while painting a smile on your face. "You can learn a thing or two from this, @@LEADER@@! You should spice up your press conferences with a little humor! Dress up as a clown every now and then, crack a few jokes. Don’t take politics or life so seriously — it isn’t eternal, after all!"
[fallout]most members of parliament fail to understand @@LEADER@@‘s jokes about obscure nations

[option 4]"Everyone seems to be ignoring the obvious solution," remarks founder of the Church Of @@LEADER@@, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while removing the microphone that @@HE@@ had apparently installed. "You could get rid of this problem by doing away with elections and just installing yourself as supreme leader of @@NAME@@. That seems much more simple to me, and there will be less disagreement about it. Or if there is, you can just send in the military to silence the protesters."
[fallout]late-night satires frequently star military generals as guests
I took some of this, thanks. Anyone have any objections before I submit?
Citizen of the Rejected Realms. Got Issues-er. You name it, as long as it isn’t “relevant”
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 11677
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:34 am

Great issue, send it in when you are ready.
Editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people.

Next

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Sianara

Remove ads