NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Book Lovers Decline

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Braskia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Book Lovers Decline

Postby Braskia » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:14 am

[TITLE] Book Lovers Decline

[VALIDITY] Only valid for Nations with Low Intelligence and Low Book Publishing Industry

[DESCRIPTION] A census carried out recently made an astonishing discovery, the average number of books read per year in @@NAME@@ is around 1.4, the lowest in @@REGION@@. You book a table at a nearby restaurant with advisors to discuss it as enraged bibliophiles pump their fists at you from outside the window.

[OPTION 1] "That's shameful, we are creating a generation of idiots," mumbles your Minister of Culture with a look of sadness in his eyes. "Such a low average is a clear indication that we must focus on reducing the price of books, a discount is certain to impulse @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to stop by and buy a cheap and good old classic romance. You just need to pull a book from the shelves and knowledge will stream out of it like a waterfall, don't let those small publishers tell otherwise."

[FALLOUT] Books are literally not worth the paper it's printed on

[OPTION 2] "If they have a choice, they will choice wrong." says your Minister of Education, throwing books at other people. "Reading is fundamental, all the information and knowledge they are wasting can't be ignored, they could be better engineers, medics, @@ANIMAL@@ trainers, just by reading some pages, enforce book reading for their and our own good."

[FALLOUT] Book reading is being enforced at gun point

[OPTION 3] "For Violet's sake! Not the government again!" screams a girl caressing a bump in her head caused by a flying book. "We don't read books because they are boring, mandatory reading will do no good if our chances of dying of boredom are extremely high. We can adquire wisdom from other medias, like video-games, movies, and songs, learning will be easier if you combine it with fun, so what about funding those instead?"

[FALLOUT] Future generations will learn about the ancient item created by gods called "Book"

[DESCRIPTION] A census carried out recently made an astonishing discovery, the average number of books read per year in @@NAME@@ is around 1.4, the lowest in @@REGION@@. You book a table at a nearby restaurant with advisors to discuss it.

[OPTION 1] "That's shameful, we are creating a generation of idiots," mumbles your Minister of Culture with a look of sadness in his eyes. "Such a low average is a clear indication that we must focus on reducing the price of books, a discount is certain to impulse @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to stop by and buy a cheap and good old classic romance. You just need to pull a book from the shelves and knowledge will stream out of it like a waterfall, don't let those small publishers change your mind, if they must sacrifice their business for the wisdom we will adquire, so be it!."

[FALLOUT] books are literally not worth the paper they're printed on

[OPTION 2] "If they have a choice, they will choose wrong." says your Minister of Education, throwing books at other peoples. "Reading is fundamental, all the information and knowledge they are wasting can't be ignored, they could be better engineers, medics, @@ANIMAL@@ trainers, just by reading some pages, enforce book reading for their and our own good."

[FALLOUT] book reading is being enforced at gun point

[OPTION 3] "For Violet's sake! Not the government again!" screams a girl caressing a bump in her head caused by a flying book. "We don't read books because they are boring, mandatory reading will do no good if our chances of dying of boredom are extremely high. We can adquire wisdom from other medias, like video-games, movies, and songs, learning will be easier if you combine it with fun, so what about funding those instead?"

[FALLOUT] Future generations will learn about the ancient item created by gods called "Book"

DESCRIPTION] The Agency of Arts and Literature published a list of best-selling books in @@NAME@@. Everyone was shocked that the award was given to "How To Repair Your Car For Dummies", it sold less than 20 copies. It Raised a debate about how to encourage a love of books and reading habit across the nation.

[OPTION 1] "That's truly shameful," sighs your Minister of Culture pulling a book from his overcoat. "Enforce discounts on books to impulse @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to buy a gold ol' book. Infinite knowledge is wasting just behind those pages, the small publishers probably won't like having their profits cut like that, but they only understand the risks, not the gain."

[FALLOUT] books are a favourite substitute for pennies

[OPTION 2] "It's not their choice anymore," says your Minister of Education, who has been reading books for seven hours straight everyday. "People don't realize what they are losing by not reading. They'd be better teachers, engineers, @@ANIMAL@@ trainers, surgeons, if they stopped watching 'The Brash and the Backstabbing' and actually read some pages. For everyone's sake, make it mandatory to read a book every month."

[FALLOUT] citizens can't leave the country until they are up to date with their reading obligations

[OPTION 3] "What about us?" asks @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, author of "How To Repair Your Car For Dummies", autographing a copy of his bestseller to you. "We are the ones that need help, it took 5 years of hard work, studying, and a lot of sleepless nights to figure out how to repair a engine belt. You know what we need? A little incentive to keep us inspired to make great masterpieces, create some schools especially made to help writers, I could teach a few things to them."

[FALLOUT] "How To Repair Your Computer" is a worldwide success

[OPTION 4] "Books are boring, brick size papers," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a teenager playing on @@HIS@@ Macro Game Kid. "No one reads it because we will die of boredom! Forget about these things, focus on what's important, videogames! We can learn a great deal from it, you can launch some educational games that involves reading and everyone will be happy as clams."

[FALLOUT] " Great @@LEADER@@ Civilization" videogame series is available in all platforms

[DESCRIPTION] "How To Repair Your Car For Dummies" was shockingly ranked at #1 on the national best-sellers list after selling just 200 copies, a debate emerged in your office over the need of reading encouragement and interest within the population as enraged bibliophiles pump their fists at you from outside the window.

[OPTION 1] "That's truly shameful," sighs @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Culture pulling a dusty book from within the magically deep pockets of @@HIS@@ overcoat. "Enforce discounts on books to impulse @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to buy a good ol' book. Infinite knowledge is wasting just behind those pages, the small publishers probably won't like having their profits cut like that, but they only understand the risks, not the gain."

[FALLOUT] books are a favourite substitute for pennies

[OPTION 2] "It's not their choice anymore," says your Minister of Education, who has been reading books for seven hours straight every day. "People don't realize what they are losing by not reading. They'd be better teachers, engineers, @@ANIMAL@@ trainers, surgeons, if they stopped watching 'The Brash and the Backstabbing' and actually read some pages. For everyone's sake, make it mandatory to read a book every month."

[FALLOUT] citizens can't leave the country until they are up to date with their reading obligations

[OPTION 3] "What about us?" asks @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, author of "How To Repair Your Car For Dummies", signing a copy of his bestseller to you. "We are the ones that need help, it took 5 years of hard work, studying, and a lot of sleepless nights to figure out how to repair an engine belt. You know what we need? A little incentive to keep us inspired to make great masterpieces, create some schools especially made to help writers, I could teach a few things to them."

[FALLOUT] "How To Repair Your Computer For Dummies" is a worldwide success

[OPTION 4] "Books are useless brick size paper," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a teenager, creator of Bonfire, the most downloaded EBook reader. "All we need is download this app, and we have a complete array of books to read at any time, from romance to @@ANIMAL@@ apocalypse. The folks will find it so convenient, they will start reading it nonstop. Just so you know, my services to the country can be repaid with a mansion in the @@CAPITAL@@ countryside.

[FALLOUT] Tarologist bring your ideal book in 48 hours using EBook
Last edited by Braskia on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:15 am, edited 11 times in total.
"I have unlimited power to do unlimited good." - The Dictatorship Leader

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:44 am

I would change the vailidoty to not being in the top 25% for intelligence to avoid the smartest nation in a region from recieving this issue. Also the for the fallout in option 1 it should be "the paper they're printed on," and all fallouts shouldn't start with a capital letter.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:53 am

Braskia wrote:[DESCRIPTION] A census carried out recently made an astonishing discovery, the average number of books read per year in @@NAME@@ is around 1.4, the lowest in @@REGION@@.

Why 1.4? What is the significance of 1.4?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:13 pm

We have an issue about libraries. Although it's possible to read books without libraries, they cover the same general design space.

Braskia wrote:"a discount is certain to impulse @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to stop by and buy a cheap and good old classic romance"
"Impulse" is not a verb. ...I think.

Braskia wrote:"You just need to pull a book from the shelves and knowledge will stream out of it like a waterfall, don't let those small publishers tell otherwise."
What is this even saying?

Braskia wrote:[FALLOUT] Books are literally not worth the paper it's printed on
"It" is not a plural pronoun.

Braskia wrote:"If they have a choice, they will choice wrong."
The second "choice" should be "choose".

...Oh, why am I bothering? You should read more books.

Braskia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Braskia » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Trotterdam wrote:We have an issue about libraries. Although it's possible to read books without libraries, they cover the same general design space.

Braskia wrote:"a discount is certain to impulse @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to stop by and buy a cheap and good old classic romance"
"Impulse" is not a verb. ...I think.

Braskia wrote:"You just need to pull a book from the shelves and knowledge will stream out of it like a waterfall, don't let those small publishers tell otherwise."
What is this even saying?

Braskia wrote:[FALLOUT] Books are literally not worth the paper it's printed on
"It" is not a plural pronoun.

Braskia wrote:"If they have a choice, they will choice wrong."
The second "choice" should be "choose".

...Oh, why am I bothering? You should read more books.

Okay, Thank you so much for your help... Did you really got angry?

Tinhampton wrote:
Braskia wrote:[DESCRIPTION] A census carried out recently made an astonishing discovery, the average number of books read per year in @@NAME@@ is around 1.4, the lowest in @@REGION@@.

Why 1.4? What is the significance of 1.4?

Well... One and a half book a year, you know? Seven books in Five Years.

Kenmoria wrote:I would change the vailidoty to not being in the top 25% for intelligence to avoid the smartest nation in a region from recieving this issue. Also the for the fallout in option 1 it should be "the paper they're printed on," and all fallouts shouldn't start with a capital letter.

Thanks, fixing.
Last edited by Braskia on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:18 am

Braskia wrote:[TITLE] Disaster Booked By @@NAME@@

Bit of a weak title: as a play on words doesn't work, as it doesn't make any sense. Sure, I see you're using the word "book" in its two meanings, but nobody books a disaster, and nobody describes a low level of reading as a book disaster.

[VALIDITY] Invalid for Nations with High Intelligence

Maybe just for nations of low intelligence, I think.

[DESCRIPTION] A census carried out recently made an astonishing discovery, the average number of books read per year in @@NAME@@ is around 1.4,

This level of specificity stretches credulity, and as has been pointed out, there's no meaning to having this exact number. Use more linguistic ambiguity.

Also, please please avoid issues that start with "a census shows" or "a study shows". I know we've got a few of these, but they're widely considered to have weak openings.

the lowest in @@REGION@@.

Avoid these assertions. Many nations exist in a region of 1, and this become nonsensical. Many more exist in huge feeder regions, where they may be quite high up in general literacy for that region. and then it stretched credulity.

You book a table at a nearby restaurant with advisors to discuss it.

Yeah, another cliche to avoid. Don't have a restaurant unless a restaurant is relevant to the issue (say, about food standards, or whatever). Try to treat the setting as another character in the story, and make that character engaging and relevant.

[OPTION 1] "That's shameful, we are creating a generation of idiots," mumbles your Minister of Culture with a look of sadness in his eyes. "Such a low average is a clear indication that we must focus on reducing the price of books, a discount is certain to impulse @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to stop by and buy a cheap and good old classic romance. You just need to pull a book from the shelves and knowledge will stream out of it like a waterfall, don't let those small publishers tell otherwise."

So what is the government action here? That's a lot of waffle with no actual proposition, and indeed no humour or story. How can government reduce the price of books? Wouldn't that be a useful thing to suggest?

[FALLOUT] Books are literally not worth the paper it's printed on

Grammar fail (shifted from plural to singular), but more importantly just not a very interesting outcome.

[OPTION 2] "If they have a choice, they will choice wrong." says your Minister of Education,

Grammar and punctuation wrong here. Full stop to a comma, and second 'choice' to 'choose'.

Those things editors will fix, of course. The larger problem is that it makes no sense. If who have a choice? What are "they" choosing?

throwing books at other people. "Reading is fundamental, all the information and knowledge they are wasting can't be ignored, they could be better engineers, medics, @@ANIMAL@@ trainers, just by reading some pages, enforce book reading for their and our own good."

[FALLOUT] Book reading is being enforced at gun point

Yeah, that's terrible. The option makes no sense.

Again, just plain terrible. This option is far too obvious and uninspired, retreading ground that has been covered a dozen times before, and with poor English, to boot.

This issue needs a lot of work and improvement, I'm afraid.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Braskia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Braskia » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:49 am

Yeah, sorry, the issue is pretty bad.
Yeah, sorry for submitting every issue without waiting.
Yeah, sorry for being a terrible writer and waste your precious time reviewing my Violet forbidden issues. :bow:

But I think I finally got it how to write a kind of acceptable issue, fixed.
Last edited by Braskia on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:12 am

Ahahah.

Sorry for being harsher than I needed to be, probably.

Anyroads, don't give up, there's always a chance this could make the cut, with some work.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:43 am

1. Book production is bad for the environment. All that paper couldn't be doing any good. Maybe there should be an environmentalist there somewhere
2. Effect for option 2, what if they don't want to leave the country?
3. E-books? Audio books?
4. Effect for option 4- Sounds more like propoganda than learning
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Order of the EZIC Salt
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Order of the EZIC Salt » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 am

That title is so general and boring. I would recommend changing it, maybe to "Reader's Decline".

Also, I feel the validity is a bit off. I think it should also be for nations with a low Book Publishing industry.

Also, commas are not substitutes for periods, and having someone say an entire sentence using just commas make for a grammatically incorrect sentence. It's basically the same as typing a sentence without commas so try and get some periods in there
Last edited by The Order of the EZIC Salt on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Braskia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Braskia » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Australian Republic wrote:1. Book production is bad for the environment. All that paper couldn't be doing any good. Maybe there should be an environmentalist there somewhere
2. Effect for option 2, what if they don't want to leave the country?
3. E-books? Audio books?
4. Effect for option 4- Sounds more like propoganda than learning

1. EBooks can substitute this option, right? There's Environmentalists everywhere.
2. It's supposed to show how it was rigorously enforced. Though I will change if it's not too good.
3. Added, Thanks.
4. Just a side effect.

Kaschovia
Issues Editor

Founded: Apr 09, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Kaschovia » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:33 pm

It Raised a debate about how to encourage a love of books and reading habit across the nation.

Raised > raised.
to buy a gold ol' book

gold > good
They would

I would advise 'they'd'.
autographing a copy of his bestseller to you

autographing > signing
to repair a engine belt.

a engine > an engine
everyday

Every day would be better.
array of books to read at anytime

anytime > any time
repaid with a mansion in @@CAPITAL@@ countryside

in @@CAPITAL@@ > in the @@CAPITAL@@
"That's truly shameful." sighs your Minister of Culture pulling a book from his overcoat

1. . > ,
  2. sighs > sighs @@RANDOMNAME@@,
  3. Minister of Culture pulling a book from his overcoat > Minister of Culture, pulling a dusty book from within the large inside pockets of @@HIS@@ overcoat.
The Agency of Arts and Literature published a list of best-selling books in @@NAME@@. Everyone was shocked that the award was given to "How To Repair Your Car For Dummies", it sold less than 20 copies. It Raised a debate about how to encourage a love of books and reading habit across the nation.

Remove 'The Agency of Arts and Literature', it is too clunky. You need to get straight to the point. Also, 20 is horribly low. 200 or 2,000 is what I'd go for.

I'd advise something like "How To Repair Your Car For Dummies" was shockingly ranked at #1 on the national best-sellers list after selling just 200 copies; a debate subsequently erupts in your office over the prioritization of reading encouragement and interest within the population as enraged bibliophiles pump their fists at you from outside the window.

Braskia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Braskia » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:04 pm

- Description Altered
- Fixed Appointed Grammar Errors
- Minor Tweaks
- Herobrine removed

Advertisement

Remove ads