NATION

PASSWORD

EQUIFAX more like EQUIHACKS

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

EQUIFAX more like EQUIHACKS

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:17 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/09/13/how-freeze-your-credit-protect-your-identity/657304001/

Gist: Last week it was revealed by EQUIFAX credit reporting firm that it was hacked with up to 100+million people's information in jeopardy. Three executives sold stock in the company just a few days later most likely indicating usage of not yet public information or better known as insider trading. Then a yet to be identified person(s) paid a $1700 fee to sell EQUIFAX stock on option instead of just regular trading. In which has never been done before on EQUIFAX stock. Several lawsuits have already been filed.

MY OP: it's really bad how can you be so ignorant and untrustworthy with sensitive data of almost a third of the country. Luckily for me I'm not affected thus far I hope the damage is minimal to the people that were affected. As for the company I say they should go the way of ENRON. This almost feels like the 2017 version of ENRON but worse. So My Peeps what do you think?
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Is this not one of the companies John Oliver chastised for shoddy business practices that affect real lives.. such as refusing to change someone's status from dead to alive, or mixing up similar named people and generally not caring whether someone's life was put in great difficulty because of false credit ratings?

In fact I wonder if the hack is a direct result of being brought to fame by Monsieur Oliver..

Alas in terms of selling stock I suspect it's incumbent on the prosecution to prove they did this with insider trading as opposed to all wanting to 'buy a house' or whatever their claim of coincidence will be.

Credit rating agencies, and rating agencies as well, should have extremely strict oversight given they have such an impact though I imagine they can always use the 'o8 meltdown excuse of 'hey, it's only our opinion', when that 'opinion' has legal results.

..or.. or.. let the free market correct..
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:35 pm

Bombadil wrote:Is this not one of the companies John Oliver chastised for shoddy business practices that affect real lives.. such as refusing to change someone's status from dead to alive, or mixing up similar named people and generally not caring whether someone's life was put in great difficulty because of false credit ratings?

In fact I wonder if the hack is a direct result of being brought to fame by Monsieur Oliver..

Alas in terms of selling stock I suspect it's incumbent on the prosecution to prove they did this with insider trading as opposed to all wanting to 'buy a house' or whatever their claim of coincidence will be.

Credit rating agencies, and rating agencies as well, should have extremely strict oversight given they have such an impact though I imagine they can always use the 'o8 meltdown excuse of 'hey, it's only our opinion', when that 'opinion' has legal results.

..or.. or.. let the free market correct..

Probably not but here's the video I found on YouTube

https://youtu.be/mSvYWAY1xGU
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Return to General