NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Total Eclipse Of The Brain

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[SUBMITTED] Total Eclipse Of The Brain

Postby Baggieland » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:36 am

Title:

Total Eclipse Of The Brain

Description:

Yesterday, a stranger named Brian turned up in the centre of @@CAPITAL@@. He claimed to be the next chosen prophet of God and that if people did not bow down before him, he would blot out the sun at precisely 10:20am. At first, everyone just laughed, but at 10:20, the sun was indeed blocked out for a few minutes. @@PLURALNATIONALITY@@ everywhere then bowed before Brian. Some concerned citizens have come to you to see what should be done with this stranger.

Validity:

For nations that have high spirituality and primitiveness

Options:

Option 1: ''I was there,'' states @@RANDOMNAME@@. ''Just as Brian foretold, the sun was blocked out for a full three minutes and did not return until he commanded God to let the sun shine again. I know a prophet when I see one, and I should know; I've followed a few! @@LEADER@@, you must embrace Brian and listen to his teachings.''

Effect: @@PLURALNATIONALITY@@ get up at 4am everyday to wake the sun up

Option 2: ''This man could be dangerous,'' suggests @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, the High Priest of the Order of Violet. ''He certainly seems to have a gift from God, but we can't let him destroy Violetism. @@LEADER@@, if we could borrow one of your dungeons so we can torture Brian sadistically, until he agrees to tell the masses that he is a messenger of Violetism.''

Effect: The masses call to ''release Brian''

Option 3: ''Has everyone taken leave of their senses?'' asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, a scientist from the @@CAPITAL@@ observatory. ''For God's sake, it was just an eclipse! They happen every few decades and are a normal, natural occurrence of the universe. @@LEADER@@, you should put funding in place so that every school in @@NAME@@ can have telescopes, so the next time a celestial event happens, the children can learn all about it.''

Effect: School children use high-powered telescopes to spy on their neighbours

Title:

Description:

Yesterday, a stranger named Brian turned up in the centre of @@CAPITAL@@. He claimed to have magical powers and that if people did not hand over all their gold, he would blot out the sun at precisely 10:20am. At first, everyone just laughed, but at 10:20, the sun was indeed blocked out for a few minutes. @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ everywhere then handed over all their rings, necklaces, watches and even teeth to Brian. Concerned citizens have come to you to see what should be done with this stranger.

Validity:

For nations that have high ignorance and primitiveness

Options:

Option 1: "I was there," states @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Just as Brian foretold, the sun was blocked out for a full three minutes and did not return until he commanded the sun to shine again. I know a messiah when I see one, and I should know; I've followed a few! @@LEADER@@, you must embrace Brian and listen to his words or he will block out the sun again!"

Effect: @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ get up at 4am everyday to wake the sun up

Option 2: "This man could be dangerous," suggests @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, the High Priest of the Order of Violet. "He certainly seems to have a gift, but we can't let him destroy Violetism. @@LEADER@@, if we could borrow one of your dungeons so we can torture Brian sadistically, until he agrees to tell the masses that he is a messenger of Violetism."

Effect: the masses call to "release Brian"

Option 3: "Has everyone taken leave of their senses?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, a scientist from the @@CAPITAL@@ observatory. "For God's sake, it was just an eclipse! They happen every few decades and are a normal, natural occurrence of the universe. @@LEADER@@, you should put funding in place so that every school in @@NAME@@ can have telescopes, so the next time a celestial event happens, the children can learn all about it."

Effect: school children use high-powered telescopes to spy on their neighbours

Option 4: Suddenly, Brian's mum bursts into your office. "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy. Brian, what have I told you about these silly pranks of yours? Go home now. So sorry @@LEADER@@, I'll make sure he doesn't do it again!" She leaves your office, dragging Brian by his ear lobe.

Effect: the gullibility of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ is the laughing stock of @@REGION@@

Title:

Description:

Yesterday, a stranger named Brian turned up in the centre of @@CAPITAL@@. He claimed to have magical powers and that if people did not hand over all their gold, he would blot out the sun at precisely 10:20am. At first, everyone just laughed, but at 10:20, the sun was indeed blocked out for a few minutes. @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ everywhere then handed over all their jewellery, watches and even teeth to Brian. Concerned citizens have come to you to see what should be done with this stranger.

Validity:

For nations that have high ignorance and primitiveness

Options:

Option 1: "I was there," states @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Just as Brian foretold, the sun was blocked out for a full three minutes and did not return until he commanded the sun to shine again. I know a messiah when I see one, and I should know; I've followed a few! @@LEADER@@, you must embrace Brian and listen to his words or he will block out the sun again!"

Effect: the gullibility of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ is the laughing stock of @@REGION@@

Option 2: "This man could be dangerous," suggests @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, the High Priest of the Order of Violet. "He certainly seems to have a gift, but we can't let him destroy Violetism. @@LEADER@@, if we could borrow one of your dungeons so we can torture Brian sadistically, until he agrees to tell the masses that he is a messenger of Violetism."

Effect: the masses call to "release Brian"

Option 3: Suddenly, Brian's mum bursts into your office. "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy. For God's sake, hasn't anyone heard of an eclipse! @@LEADER@@, you should put funding in place so that every school in @@NAME@@ can have telescopes, so the next time a celestial event happens, the children can learn all about it, so that they won't get conned by people like my Brian again. I do apologize, he's done this before in Tasmania and Smalltopia. Brian, wait 'till your father hears about this!"

Effect: school children use high-powered telescopes to spy on their neighbours

[TITLE] Total Eclipse Of The Brain

[DESCRIPTION] Earlier today, a stranger announced himself in the centre of @@CAPITAL@@. He started to amaze the gathering crowd by telling of his ability to block out the sun, demanding that everyone hand over all their gold or face the consequences. At precisely 10:20am, the sun disappeared. Panicking, those gathered gave him their jewellery, watches and even teeth. As you were wondering yourself what had happened to the sun, you went down into the street to see what was going on.

[VALIDITY] For nations that have high ignorance and primitiveness

[OPTION] "I was there," states @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Just as he foretold, the sun was blocked out for a full three minutes and did not return until he commanded the sun to shine again. I know a messiah when I see one, and I should know; I've followed a few! @@LEADER@@, you must install him as your Minister For Sun Protection, and give him a budget for sun worship rituals."

[EFFECT] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ get up at 4am everyday to wake up the sun

[OPTION] Suddenly, his mum grabs your attention. "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy. For God's sake, hasn't anyone heard of an eclipse? They are a natural occurrence of the universe and happen every few decades. @@LEADER@@, you should put funding in place so that every school in @@NAME@@ can have telescopes and better scientific text books, so the next time a celestial event happens, the children can learn all about it, so no one will get conned again. I do apologize, he's done this before in Tasmania and Smalltopia."

[EFFECT] school children use high-powered telescopes to spy on their neighbours

[OPTION] Police Detective Don Uts then walks up to your side. "Minister For Sun Protection! Telescopes for schools! What utter nonsense! What we have here is a con artist, plain and simple, guilty of swindling, fraud and deceit. Just let me take him down to the station. I'm sure he'll confess to everything after a damned good beating!"

[EFFECT] police brutality keeps the citizens honest

[TITLE] Total Eclipse Of The Brain

[DESCRIPTION] Earlier today, a stranger announced himself in the centre of @@CAPITAL@@. He started to amaze the gathering crowd by telling of his ability to block out the sun, demanding that everyone hand over all their gold or face the consequences. At precisely 10:20am, the sun disappeared. Panicking, those gathered gave him their jewellery, watches and even teeth. As you were wondering yourself what had happened to the sun, you went down into the street to see what was going on.

[VALIDITY] For nations that have high ignorance and primitiveness

[OPTION] "I was there," states @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Just as he foretold, the sun was blocked out for a full three minutes and did not return until he commanded the sun to shine again. I know a messiah when I see one, and I should know; I've followed a few! @@LEADER@@, you must install him as your Minister For Sun Protection, and give him a budget for sun worship rituals."

[EFFECT] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ get up at 4am everyday to wake up the sun

[OPTION] Suddenly, his mum grabs your attention. "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy. For God's sake, hasn't anyone heard of an eclipse? They are a natural occurrence of the universe and happen every few decades. @@LEADER@@, you should put funding in place so that every school in @@NAME@@ can have telescopes and better scientific text books, so the next time a celestial event happens, the children can learn all about it, so no one will get conned again. I do apologize, he's done this before in Tasmania and Smalltopia."

[EFFECT] school children use high-powered telescopes to spy on their neighbours

[OPTION] Police Detective Don Uts then walks up to your side. "Minister For Sun Protection! Telescopes for schools! What utter nonsense! These con artists bug me more than murderers! They swindle good honest people out of their hard-earned possessions just because they're too lazy to get a job of their own. They are all guilty of swindling, fraud and deceit. Just let me take this one down to the station. I'm sure he'll confess to everything after a damned good beating, and that would send a strong message to all his fraudster pals!"

[EFFECT] police brutality keeps the citizens honest
Last edited by Baggieland on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:57 am, edited 6 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:04 am

This issue is a bit silly, but okay. Why is the Prophert called "Brain"?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:38 am

Is "Brain" (as opposed to "Brian") supposed to be the last word of the title? I'm going to be honest here, I actually thought this was an issue about memory loss...
Last edited by Tinhampton on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 am

Is this a reference to Monty Python's the Life of Brian?
I can see a few references here. Good choice if it were.
Last edited by The Islands of Versilia on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:31 am

Should be @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@, not @@PLURALNATIONALITY@@
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:07 am

The Islands of Versilia wrote:Is this a reference to Monty Python's the Life of Brian?
I can see a few references here. Good choice if it were.

You are 100% correct.

I was watching the eclipse across America on TV and I thought of the old folktale where the guy tricked the villagers. That was my inspiration for the issue and as I wrote it, Monty Python slipped in!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:08 am

see second draft
Last edited by Baggieland on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:16 am

Nice!

The age of Brian confuses me. When you say "stranger," to me, that implies that Brian is an adult. However, in option 4, Brian's mum comes in to drag him away, calling him "a naughty boy."

Also, although I like Option 4, I'm not quite so sure it fits with the rest of the issue, especially with Option 3. Also, Brian's mom is smarter than everybody in @@CAPITAL@@ :P

Tip: spoiler your original draft in the OP, and update drafts in spoilers there for convenience.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:16 am

The Atlae Isles wrote:The age of Brian confuses me. When you say "stranger," to me, that implies that Brian is an adult. However, in option 4, Brian's mum comes in to drag him away, calling him "a naughty boy."

This issue is, as has earlier been stated by Baggieland, supposed to be themed on The Life of Brian (by Monty Python).
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:47 am

The Atlae Isles wrote:Nice!

Thanks!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:50 am

The Atlae Isles wrote:The age of Brian confuses me. When you say "stranger," to me, that implies that Brian is an adult. However, in option 4, Brian's mum comes in to drag him away, calling him "a naughty boy."

As Tinhampton pointed out, this Brian character is based on Monty Python's classic film. Besides, you're never too old or too big that your mum can't sort you out!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:55 am

The Atlae Isles wrote:Also, Brian's mom is smarter than everybody in @@CAPITAL@@

As the validity states, this is for nations with a high level of primitiveness and ignorance. Also, as Brian is a stranger, it could be inferred that he and his mum might not be from @@NAME@@.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:59 am

The Atlae Isles wrote:Tip: spoiler your original draft in the OP, and update drafts in spoilers there for convenience.

I have seen spoilers in other people's draft issues and they are convenient. What's OP? I do apologise for being so technically lame. If anyone can help me out here?!

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:55 am

Tinhampton wrote:

This issue is, as has earlier been stated by Baggieland, supposed to be themed on The Life of Brian (by Monty Python).

Baggieland wrote:

As Tinhampton pointed out, this Brian character is based on Monty Python's classic film. Besides, you're never too old or too big that your mum can't sort you out!

I guess that's why I'm confused, since I never saw it :P
Baggieland wrote:
The Atlae Isles wrote:Also, Brian's mom is smarter than everybody in @@CAPITAL@@

As the validity states, this is for nations with a high level of primitiveness and ignorance. Also, as Brian is a stranger, it could be inferred that he and his mum might not be from @@NAME@@.

Never thought of that. But instead of using stranger, use "tourist" or "foreigner."
Baggieland wrote:
The Atlae Isles wrote:Tip: spoiler your original draft in the OP, and update drafts in spoilers there for convenience.

I have seen spoilers in other people's draft issues and they are convenient. What's OP? I do apologise for being so technically lame. If anyone can help me out here?!

OP in roleplay means over-powerful, meaning the character has way too many abilities and stuff.

But in forums, generally, OP means "original post" or "original poster."
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Option 2, who said anything about Violitism?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:12 am

The Atlae Isles wrote:I guess that's why I'm confused, since I never saw it

You've got to watch it!!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:16 am

The Atlae Isles wrote:Never thought of that. But instead of using stranger, use "tourist" or "foreigner."

Might not be from @@NAME@@, might be from the deepest, darkest depths of @@NAME@@. That's the beauty of the word 'stranger'; we shall never know who Brian really was!!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:18 am

The Atlae Isles wrote:But in forums, generally, OP means "original post" or "original poster."

How do I get my original draft on a word document to appear as a spoiler in the forum??

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:21 am

Australian Republic wrote:Option 2, who said anything about Violitism?

The Violetists are known for being religious extremists. If citizens believe Brian has the ability to block out the sun, they would view Brian as a useful tool to spread their beliefs.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:24 am

Fauxia wrote:Should be @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@, not @@PLURALNATIONALITY@@
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Baggieland wrote:
The Atlae Isles wrote:But in forums, generally, OP means "original post" or "original poster."

How do I get my original draft on a word document to appear as a spoiler in the forum??

[spoiler=][/spoiler]
Put the title of the spoiler after "spoiler=" but within the brackets, and put the substance of spoiler in between.

stuff

(Try quoting this to see the code)

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:09 am

It's a community convention to edit the OP with your newest draft so that is what people see first when they click on the thread, rather than having to read down and dig for it.

As for the actual issue, it's not bad. I don't have any particular suggestions off the top of my head -- have been away from the issues forum for a while, it's 3 AM, and I'm not feeling very focused -- but I do think you should continue working on this and/or writing more issues.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:16 am

It's a good premise, I agree. Well done.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:59 am

The Atlae Isles wrote:[spoiler=][/spoiler]
Put the title of the spoiler after "spoiler=" but within the brackets, and put the substance of spoiler in between.

Thanks a lot. I will try that next time I make an update to this issue.

Talking of updates to the issue, are there any suggestions on how this could be improved?

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:19 am

Bump. See the third draft.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?