NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Contraceptive Rights

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Contraceptive Rights

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Contraceptive Rights
Category: Human Rights | Strength: Significant

The World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING that there are various ethical and religious views regarding contraception,

CONCERNED that an inability to use contraceptive methods or devices can result in unwanted pregnancies,

WORRIED that unwanted pregnancies can lead to poverty, to physical and psychological hardship and, in extreme cases, to abortion,

BELIEVING that the decision surrounding contraceptive use must rest with the individual, not with the state,

HEREBY:

1. DEFINES contraception, for the purposes of this resolution, as an act to prevent fertilisation as a result of sexual intercourse,

2. DEFINES a contraceptive device, for the purposes of this resolution, as an item or pharmaceutical that is designed specifically to facilitate the process of contraception,

3. REQUIRES member states to legalise contraception within their borders, subject to prior unrepealed resolutions,

4. PROHIBITS member states from criminalising the production, transfer, possession or use of items and pharmaceuticals that otherwise meet national and international regulations on the basis that such items or pharmaceuticals are contraceptive devices,

5. PROHIBITS member states from placing more stringent restrictions on the production, transfer, possession or use of contraceptive devices than are placed on non-contraceptive items and pharmaceuticals of similar risk to individuals using such items or pharmaceuticals,

6. MANDATES that member states take effective action to ensure that no individual is forced:

• to engage or to refrain from engaging in contraception, and
    • to use or to refrain from using contraceptive devices,

7. CLARIFIES that nothing in this resolution prevents member states, acting either individually or collectively, from passing further legislation promoting access to and research of contraceptive methods and devices.
Last edited by States of Glory WA Office on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Contraceptive Rights

The World Assembly,

BELIEVING that no-one reads preambles anyway,

CONCERNED about kittens that shoot lasers from their eyes,

ACKNOWLEDGING the benefits of unsliced bread,

NOTING that 'to be or not to be' is the question,

DECLARING once and for all that tomatoes are fruits, not vegetables,

WISHING to ban abortion, nuclear weapons and rainbows,

HEREBY:

1. DEFINES contraception, for the purposes of this resolution, as an act undertaken to prevent fertilisation as a result of sexual intercourse,

2. DEFINES a contraceptive device, for the purposes of this resolution, as an object that is designed to facilitate the process of contraception,

3. REQUIRES member states to legalise the act of contraception within their borders,

4. REQUIRES member states to legalise the production, transfer, sale, importation, exportation and use of all contraceptive devices within their borders, provided that such devices are not designed to inflict harm on any sapient beings,

5. MANDATES that member states take effective action to ensure that no sapient being is forced either to utilise or not to utilise contraceptive methods and devices,

6. CLARIFIES that nothing in this resolution prevents member states, acting either individually or collectively, from passing further legislation promoting the freedom to utilise contraceptive methods and devices.

Contraceptive Rights

The World Assembly,

HEREBY:

1. DEFINES contraception, for the purposes of this resolution, as an act undertaken to prevent fertilisation as a result of sexual intercourse,

2. DEFINES a contraceptive device, for the purposes of this resolution, as an object that is designed to facilitate the process of contraception,

3. REQUIRES member states to legalise the act of contraception within their borders,

4. REQUIRES member states to legalise the production, transfer, sale, importation, exportation and use of all contraceptive devices within their borders, provided that such devices:

• are not designed to inflict harm on any sapient beings,
    • are not produced through child labour, and
    • are not otherwise illegal under prior unrepealed WA legislation,

5. MANDATES that member states take effective action to ensure that no sapient being is forced either to utilise or not to utilise contraceptive methods and devices,

6. CLARIFIES that nothing in this resolution prevents member states, acting either individually or collectively, from passing further legislation promoting access to and research of contraceptive methods and devices.

Contraceptive Rights

The World Assembly,

HEREBY:

4. REQUIRES member states to legalise the production, transfer, sale, importation, exportation and use of all contraceptive devices within their borders, provided that such devices:

• do not originate from a nation that is under embargo by the member state,
    • are not designed to inflict harm on any sapient beings,
    • are not produced through child labour, and
    • are not otherwise illegal under prior unrepealed WA legislation,

6. CLARIFIES that nothing in this resolution prevents member states, acting either individually or collectively, from passing further legislation promoting access to and research of contraceptive methods and devices.

Contraceptive Rights

The World Assembly,

HEREBY:

2. DEFINES a contraceptive device, for the purposes of this resolution, as a device, item or pharmaceutical that is designed to facilitate the process of contraception,

4. PROHIBITS member states from criminalising the production, transfer, sale, importation, exportation, possession or use of medical devices, items and pharmaceuticals that otherwise meet national and international regulations on the basis that such devices, items or pharmaceuticals are contraceptive devices,

5. PROHIBITS member states from placing more stringent restrictions on the production, transfer, sale, importation, exportation, possession or use of contraceptive devices than are placed on non-contraceptive medical devices, items and pharmaceuticals of similar risk to sapient individuals,

6. MANDATES that member states take effective action to ensure that no sapient being is forced either to utilise or not to utilise contraceptive methods and devices,

7. CLARIFIES that nothing in this resolution prevents member states, acting either individually or collectively, from passing further legislation promoting access to and research of contraceptive methods and devices.

Contraceptive Rights

The World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING that there exist various ethical and religious views regarding contraception,

CONCERNED that an inability to utilise contraceptive methods or devices can potentially result in unwanted pregnancies,

WORRIED that such unwanted pregnancies can lead to poverty, physical and psychological hardship and, in extreme cases, to abortion,

BELIEVING, therefore, that the decision on whether or not contraception is to be utilised must rest with the individual, not with the state,

HEREBY:

2. DEFINES a contraceptive device, for the purposes of this resolution, as a device, item or pharmaceutical that is designed to facilitate the process of contraception,

4. PROHIBITS member states from criminalising the production, transfer, sale, importation, exportation, possession or use of medical devices, items and pharmaceuticals that otherwise meet national and international regulations on the basis that such devices, items or pharmaceuticals are contraceptive devices,

5. PROHIBITS member states from placing more stringent restrictions on the production, transfer, sale, importation, exportation, possession or use of contraceptive devices than are placed on non-contraceptive medical devices, items and pharmaceuticals of similar risk to sapient individuals,

6. MANDATES that member states take effective action to ensure that no individual is forced either to utilise or not to utilise contraceptive methods and devices,

Contraceptive Rights

The World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING that there are various ethical and religious views regarding contraception,

CONCERNED that an inability to use contraceptive methods or devices can result in unwanted pregnancies,

WORRIED that unwanted pregnancies can lead to poverty, physical and psychological hardship and, in extreme cases, to abortion,

BELIEVING that the decision surrounding contraceptive use must rest with the individual, not with the state,

HEREBY:

1. DEFINES contraception, for the purposes of this resolution, as an act to prevent fertilisation as a result of sexual intercourse,

2. DEFINES a contraceptive device, for the purposes of this resolution, as an item or pharmaceutical that is designed to facilitate the process of contraception,

3. REQUIRES member states to legalise contraception within their borders,

4. PROHIBITS member states from criminalising the production, transfer, possession or use of items and pharmaceuticals that otherwise meet national and international regulations on the basis that such items or pharmaceuticals are contraceptive devices,

5. PROHIBITS member states from placing more stringent restrictions on the production, transfer, possession or use of contraceptive devices than are placed on non-contraceptive items and pharmaceuticals of similar risk to individuals using such items or pharmaceuticals,

6. MANDATES that member states take effective action to ensure that no individual is forced:

• to engage or to refrain from engaging in contraception, and
    • to use or to refrain from using contraceptive devices,

Last edited by States of Glory WA Office on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:14 am, edited 6 times in total.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:37 pm

*cough*

"Albrenia asks what the punishment would be for those to be found harbouring banned rainbows and/or laser cats."

With a faint smirk, the ambassador sits back down.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:45 pm

"We are in favor of this proposal, though there is something about it that deprives it of gravitas. It's hard to pin down."
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:19 pm

"Against. I'm surprised this hasn't been mandated before... also, can you change "the act of contraception" and "contraception device" to contraceptive? I mean, why would you listen to a guy who said he's against anyway.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:31 am

Fauxia wrote:"Against. I'm surprised this hasn't been mandated before..."

OOC: I thought that it had been (although possibly later repealed, perhaps because it also blocked something in one of the pro-abortion proposals?), but a quick search using some of the more obvious keywords doesn't turn up a passed resolution. There have certainly been previous drafting threads, anyway...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Nessuna-Arma
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nessuna-Arma » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:38 am

"I read the preamble, but not the rest of it. Whatever it is, I stand opposed."
For World Assembly business: Ambassador Pino Sporco, Val Trebbia, Nessuna

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 am

I would suggest adding more exceptions to clause 4 so that member states are not forced to legalise contraceptives made by illegal methods such as child labour or slavery.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 am

Godular wrote:"We are in favor of this proposal, though there is something about it that deprives it of gravitas. It's hard to pin down."

Fairburn: We are pleased to hear your support.

Fauxia wrote:"Against. I'm surprised this hasn't been mandated before... also, can you change "the act of contraception" and "contraception device" to contraceptive? I mean, why would you listen to a guy who said he's against anyway.

Fairburn: When do we use the term 'contraception device'?

Nessuna-Arma wrote:"I read the preamble, but not the rest of it. Whatever it is, I stand opposed."

Fairburn: Nice try, Ambassador. Everyone knows that no-one reads the preamble.

Kenmoria wrote:I would suggest adding more exceptions to clause 4 so that member states are not forced to legalise contraceptives made by illegal methods such as child labour or slavery.

Fairburn: GA #23 a.k.a. Ban on Slavery and Trafficking requires member states to embargo goods produced through forced servitude. The mandate as written is contradictory. We thank you for the catch.

Bears Armed wrote:

OOC: I thought that it had been (although possibly later repealed, perhaps because it also blocked something in one of the pro-abortion proposals?), but a quick search using some of the more obvious keywords doesn't turn up a passed resolution. There have certainly been previous drafting threads, anyway...

To my knowledge, most of the previous drafts related to legalising contraceptives, providing access to contraception and researching contraceptive methods, which rather annoyingly crosses into three categories at once. I want this draft to deal specifically with the legality of contraception, though I deliberately wrote the final clause in a way which allows further WA resolutions on the subject.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 am

Bears Armed wrote:

OOC: Found it.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Nessuna-Arma
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nessuna-Arma » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Nessuna-Arma wrote:"I read the preamble, but not the rest of it. Whatever it is, I stand opposed."

Fairburn: Nice try, Ambassador. Everyone knows that no-one reads the preamble.

Pino smiles at Fairburn. "Thank you, Ambassador, for reminding everyone here that I am a nobody. You certainly put me in my place there, didn't you! And, while I concur that tomatoes are fruit -- they go very well with mozzarella, with some fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar -- I find that I can read no further than the nonsensical preamble. You really ought to keep that pagliaccio far away from any pen and paper. Or is it that ambassador from... Imperium Anglorum? Whoever your inspiration is."
For World Assembly business: Ambassador Pino Sporco, Val Trebbia, Nessuna

Cogned-Mentero
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cogned-Mentero » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:31 am

Dedonto Celonto Apsacsrenot: "An early look at a proposal. My opinion's quite low since you called me a nobody, and even though I agree that tomatoes are fruit and that "to be or not to be" really is the question, I find laser kittens adorable.

Moving on, the general idea of legalising contraception and allowing all to access it sounds good, but I do have a two issues with the "all contraceptives bit".

- Can importing and exporting contraceptives be limited by embargoes like other goods?
- Do we still have to deal with non-human/ocelot contraceptive devices even though the only sapient beings we have are humans and ocelots? (aliens can import their own devices)

In addition, it looks like this proposal is made just so that abortion can be banned later. I like to view contraception as security. You can set up as many layers of security as you like, you can audit your layers, you can get them certified, etc., but there will be at least one hacker who finds a way around all of the carefully designed layers of security, and breaks into the system. Similarly I like to view abortion as cleaning up after one of these attacks."

Dedonto Gnotero Apsimbata: "Celonto, I think that metaphor's completely lost on them."

Celonto: "Doesn't matter."
Our name is the Detached Flux Empire of Cogned-Mentero. Or the Alpha Fraction of Cogned-Mentero, depending on reasons. The Alpha Fraction is part of the Detached Flux Empire, but are controlled by the same government. Formerly a part of the Flux Empire of the Auto-Reds. We, like the Auto-Reds, like technology, science, AI and research. We wish to meet them again.
A 16 civilization, according to this index.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:35 am

I notice acts of contraception that harm sapient beings, ect are still required to be legalized.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:44 am

I think the pre-amble should probably be updated by the time it gets to the submitting stage.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:07 am

Cogned-Mentero wrote:- Can importing and exporting contraceptives be limited by embargoes like other goods?

Neville: As currently written, no. We'll be fixing that.

Cogned-Mentero wrote:- Do we still have to deal with non-human/ocelot contraceptive devices even though the only sapient beings we have are humans and ocelots? (aliens can import their own devices)

Neville: All this does is require your government to legalise such devices. That seems fair enough to us.

Cogned-Mentero wrote:In addition, it looks like this proposal is made just so that abortion can be banned later.

Neville: We have consistently argued and voted against any and all repeals of GA #128 and GA #286. To suggest that we intend to ban abortion is ludicrous.

Harold: (looks at preamble) Are you sure about that?

Neville: That depends. Do you think that we intend to ban rainbows?

Aclion wrote:I notice acts of contraception that harm sapient beings, ect are still required to be legalized.

Neville: If they cause harm by design then they can be banned.

Kenmoria wrote:I think the pre-amble should probably be updated by the time it gets to the submitting stage.

Fairburn: You're right. We still need to settle the issue of whether tea or coffee is better, after all.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:39 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC: I thought that it had been (although possibly later repealed, perhaps because it also blocked something in one of the pro-abortion proposals?), but a quick search using some of the more obvious keywords doesn't turn up a passed resolution. There have certainly been previous drafting threads, anyway...

OOC: Found it.
Ah, interesting. Yeah, blocked abortion a bit
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Aclion wrote:I notice acts of contraception that harm sapient beings, ect are still required to be legalized.

"What is an act of contraception? Pulling out? Non-vaginal intercourse? This is a strange term to me."
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:22 pm

As written - OPPOSED. I have a major objection ...

Contraception devices should be banned (or nations should have the option to ban them) when...
1) They are not effective ...
2) They have a chance of inflicting harm ... (as opposed to "designed")

The last thing we need to see are condoms that have high failure rates or IUD devices that actually pierce the uterus.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Tzorsland wrote:As written - OPPOSED. I have a major objection ...

Contraception devices should be banned (or nations should have the option to ban them) when...
1) They are not effective ...
2) They have a chance of inflicting harm ... (as opposed to "designed")

The last thing we need to see are condoms that have high failure rates or IUD devices that actually pierce the uterus.

Neville: If a couple willingly decides to utilise contraception devices that aren't effective then why should the government stop them from doing so? Also, the only contraception that is 100% effective is abstinence.

As for your second point, one would assume that if the device isn't designed to inflict harm and yet harm is inflicted through its use, the manner in which it was used must be incorrect. That said, feel free to prove me wrong.

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:05 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:As for your second point, one would assume that if the device isn't designed to inflict harm and yet harm is inflicted through its use, the manner in which it was used must be incorrect. That said, feel free to prove me wrong.

If I had a minor currency unit for every medical device that has, after its initial approval, resulted in major recalls due to unforeseen complications, I would be ... well I wouldn't be spending my time here, that's for sure.

Anyway, I would be very reluctant to purchase anything in your country if I had no assurance that it would actually work as intended. Especially parachutes, air safety bags, seat belts, and so forth.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:22 pm

Tzorsland wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:As for your second point, one would assume that if the device isn't designed to inflict harm and yet harm is inflicted through its use, the manner in which it was used must be incorrect. That said, feel free to prove me wrong.

If I had a minor currency unit for every medical device that has, after its initial approval, resulted in major recalls due to unforeseen complications, I would be ... well I wouldn't be spending my time here, that's for sure.

Neville: If your nation places lax health and safety restrictions on companies then I can't help you with that.

Errana
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Errana » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:35 pm

This issue is an important one, which makes this resolution important to get right. Errana's suggestion would be to slightly change the angle of attack. We agree on the goal of getting people access to safe and effective (and hopefully affordable) contraception. Currently, the logic of clause 4 requires all things that are contraceptive devices to be legalised, and you have had to add some qualifiers to bring it in line with some local and international legislation, which are unlikely to be exhaustive and satisfy everyone. Rather, we think it might be easier to build consensus by starting from the position that no medical device or item should be illegal by merit of being a contraceptive device. Nations will have some national legislation on medical devices, and concerns of safety and efficacy would fall onto this legislation. As written, clause 4 would force certain devices to be legalised even if they fall short of national safety, efficacy and ethical production standards.

Also, definitions on contraceptive measures need some work, as neither condoms nor contraceptive pills would be contraceptive devices in common medical parlance. Contraceptive devices would be a subset of medical devices, while the contraceptive pills are pharmaceuticals. We understand the license to define terms for the purposes of a resolution, but it is rather unhelpful if these go against established medical use in a question addressing a medical topic.

- Antonio

---
OOC: Man I obv didn't read the preamble and thought everyone in this thread had just gone a bit mad :!

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:44 am

Errana wrote:This issue is an important one, which makes this resolution important to get right. Errana's suggestion would be to slightly change the angle of attack. We agree on the goal of getting people access to safe and effective (and hopefully affordable) contraception. Currently, the logic of clause 4 requires all things that are contraceptive devices to be legalised, and you have had to add some qualifiers to bring it in line with some local and international legislation, which are unlikely to be exhaustive and satisfy everyone. Rather, we think it might be easier to build consensus by starting from the position that no medical device or item should be illegal by merit of being a contraceptive device. Nations will have some national legislation on medical devices, and concerns of safety and efficacy would fall onto this legislation. As written, clause 4 would force certain devices to be legalised even if they fall short of national safety, efficacy and ethical production standards.

Also, definitions on contraceptive measures need some work, as neither condoms nor contraceptive pills would be contraceptive devices in common medical parlance. Contraceptive devices would be a subset of medical devices, while the contraceptive pills are pharmaceuticals. We understand the license to define terms for the purposes of a resolution, but it is rather unhelpful if these go against established medical use in a question addressing a medical topic.

- Antonio

Neville: We thank your Delegation for its comments and we hope that our changes have addressed your concerns.

Errana wrote:We agree on the goal of getting people access to safe and effective (and hopefully affordable) contraception.

Neville: It's worth noting that our Delegation intends to address this particular issue in future, but as it falls outside the scope of Human Rights, that is a proposal for another time.

Errana wrote:OOC: Man I obv didn't read the preamble and thought everyone in this thread had just gone a bit mad :!

If there's one thing that you need to know about me, it's that I live by the phrase 'Make Legislation Funny Again!'.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:39 am

Errana wrote:OOC: Man I obv didn't read the preamble and thought everyone in this thread had just gone a bit mad :!

If there's one thing that you need to know about me, it's that I live by the phrase 'Make Legislation Funny Again!'.

OOC: Even if it what you wrote wasn't actually funny. :P
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:45 am

Pointless, non-topical clauses are not inherently funny. You may want to consider what actually makes for good humor. Orange Julius is not funny because haha it's a drink, it is funny because we established a playful understanding that any repeal of "Law Enforcement Education" would pass, regardless of what was in the text, because of how bad the target was.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly