NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Promotion of Recycling

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The COT Corporation
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The COT Corporation » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:37 am

Greifenburg wrote:
The COT Corporation wrote:The ambassador emerges from a shady corner of the room, and steps up on a pedestal.

"This proposal is ill-written in our eyes. Does clause 2.a. mandate the use of recycling to the best of our ability? Or as much as we want within our ability?"

"It would mandate the implementation to the best of a nations abilities, ambassador."

"Although I can see that you have good intentions - law is law. What you wrote in that clause could be easily manipulated, as you by no means state that it is to the best of our ability. If the law did say that, we wouldn't be entirely in favour anyway. The fact that we have to limit our industry... preposterous."
- Juleas Brimstone, recently elected WA ambassador. Author of the proposal, Limitation of Inhumane Weaponry.

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

[AT VOTE] Promotion of Recycling

Postby Greifenburg » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:43 am

OOC:

Araraukar wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:OOC: there's also weird font changes in the text. Looks totally out of place for a resolution.

OOC: I've noticed those in other resolutions, too, where I'm quite sure there were no actual font changes in the actual text, so I think it's some kind of artifact, possibly due to text copied directly off of something like Word. I don't think the author should be blamed for systemic incompatibility error.

I noticed them too, and I have no idea where they come from. It's always the first line after a [list] tag, and it just wouldn't go away.
Robert Schreiner, Ambassador of the City and Republic of Greifenburg to the World Assembly

Mikoyansk
Envoy

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mikoyansk » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:33 am

OOC:
I came here to make a comment about the formatting errors of the proposed legislation but it seems I’ve been beaten to it. It would be a good rule to remember to default the formatting in Word, prior to submission. It’s not a big thing, but I’ve noticed it more and more lately.
Bеличественный имперский монархия Микоянанск/Grand Imperial Monarchy of Mikoyansk
Для славы нашей Родины!/For the glory of our Motherland!
Factbook
INTP-A

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:47 am

It doesn't appear to me that the proposal in fact requires that members assess whether recycling for some product is actually environmentally beneficial. This seems like a gross oversight.

Greifenburg wrote:I noticed them too, and I have no idea where they come from. It's always the first line after a [list] tag, and it just wouldn't go away.

The reason why is because you don't use the list item tag [*] but rather try to format the list manually with explicit numbering. That's also why the list isn't properly formatted:

Right now, it looks like—

a. blah blah blah
blah blah blah bl

It ought to look like—

a. blah blah blah
blah blah blah
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:28 am

Greifenburg wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Spelling mistake. Against.

"Well... that's embarrassing."

Schreiner grimaces and mumbles "We need new proofreaders in the office..."

As a general rule I always vote against proposals with spelling mistakes, even if the content is good.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:44 am

OOC:

Imperium Anglorum wrote:It doesn't appear to me that the proposal in fact requires that members assess whether recycling for some product is actually environmentally beneficial. This seems like a gross oversight.

That's a good point, I haven't thought of that.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:The reason why is because you don't use the list item tag [*] but rather try to format the list manually with explicit numbering. That's also why the list isn't properly formatted:

Right now, it looks like—

a. blah blah blah
blah blah blah bl

It ought to look like—

a. blah blah blah
blah blah blah

Absolutely good to know for the next time! I'll note that somewhere.

The New California Republic wrote:As a general rule I always vote against proposals with spelling mistakes, even if the content is good.

I can understand that.
Robert Schreiner, Ambassador of the City and Republic of Greifenburg to the World Assembly

Aranoff
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aranoff » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:39 am

"This organization keeps stepping in the way of autonomy and mandating governments spend their currency on these kinds of pet projects. This is something best solved for by private markets. Consumers will prefer to go toward companies who have sustainability in mind, and won't patronize companies that aren't actively working to reduce waste and provide easy and efficient ways for consumers to recycle. The Allied States are against these heavy handed proposals that might further weaken our robust recycling factories employing thousands of Aranovians."
Ambassador to WA: Ms. Jennifer S. Schlachter
Executive: Swenson Von Strüpengard
The Allied States of Aranoff
Aranoff Factbook

Scherzinger
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Scherzinger » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:45 pm

*Anzu wakes up from her nap.*

"recycling huh? Right, because me recycling is gonna make mother nature treat me special. Good or bad, Mother Nature does what she wants. I'd go so far as to say that the best recycler could expect a colossal tornado to help move their house. Too environmentalist for my tastes

*Anzu falls back asleep, not in any mood or any care to hear the response. Figuring, just like always, it would put her to sleep anyway*
Last edited by Scherzinger on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:21 am

(OOC: Congratulations, Greifenburg.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:23 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Congratulations, Greifenburg.)

Hmm, passed even with the spelling mistakes and formatting errors...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:34 am

Promotion of Recycling was passed 12,338 votes to 3,334.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Yellow Monkey
Attaché

Founded: Jan 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Yellow Monkey » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Congratulations, Greifenburg.)

Hmm, passed even with the spelling mistakes and formatting errors...

I don't mind seeing such things pass, but I would urge the author when the time is right (not right now, which might burn out voters, but soon!) to pursue a repeal and replace to correct the errors. I believe voters would be receptive to a repeal stating "this was good but had a few grammar flaws to fix" followed by a flaw-less replacement.

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:59 am

The Yellow Monkey wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Hmm, passed even with the spelling mistakes and formatting errors...

I don't mind seeing such things pass, but I would urge the author when the time is right (not right now, which might burn out voters, but soon!) to pursue a repeal and replace to correct the errors. I believe voters would be receptive to a repeal stating "this was good but had a few grammar flaws to fix" followed by a flaw-less replacement.

ooc: Thank you, everyone. A replacement (and therefor a repeal) will probably be coming sooner or later, as I got offered assistence with writing one. Can't pass that up, as the errors are quite clear in hindsight, and quite a few good points where made regarding missing aspects (like checking whether specific recycling programs would ecologically make sense in some situations).

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:54 pm

Greifenburg wrote:ooc: Thank you, everyone. A replacement (and therefor a repeal) will probably be coming sooner or later, as I got offered assistence with writing one. Can't pass that up, as the errors are quite clear in hindsight, and quite a few good points where made regarding missing aspects (like checking whether specific recycling programs would ecologically make sense in some situations).

OOC: Give it a month or two first, though, to avoid voter (and especially delegate) fatigue. You can have the repeal and replacement drafts ready to go, of course, even in drafting threads, but, like, don't submit immediately.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:09 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Give it a month or two first, though, to avoid voter (and especially delegate) fatigue. You can have the repeal and replacement drafts ready to go, of course, even in drafting threads, but, like, don't submit immediately.

OOC: Makes sense. I mean, drafting the replacement will take some time anyway, since I might as well improve the resolution overall besides the obvious flaws.

A repeal has been submitted already. Not by me though.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:40 pm

Greifenburg wrote:OOC: Makes sense. I mean, drafting the replacement will take some time anyway, since I might as well improve the resolution overall besides the obvious flaws.

A repeal has been submitted already. Not by me though.

OOC:
Please fix the font issue next time. That is all.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:09 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Greifenburg wrote:ooc: Thank you, everyone. A replacement (and therefor a repeal) will probably be coming sooner or later, as I got offered assistence with writing one. Can't pass that up, as the errors are quite clear in hindsight, and quite a few good points where made regarding missing aspects (like checking whether specific recycling programs would ecologically make sense in some situations).

OOC: Give it a month or two first, though, to avoid voter (and especially delegate) fatigue. You can have the repeal and replacement drafts ready to go, of course, even in drafting threads, but, like, don't submit immediately.

This isn't a thing. EDIT. This isn't a thing that is of sufficient size to pose any meaningful challenge to a well-organised and campaigned-for push.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives