NATION

PASSWORD

{submitted} Fair outer space act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Keshiland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

{submitted} Fair outer space act

Postby Keshiland » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Enactment clause- This only applies to WA nations

I- Interplanetary travel
a- No fleet larger than 100 persons may travel to one planet from their home planet at a time unless invited by the host planet.
b- It is forbidden to interfere the course of any civilization from another planet.
c- All visitors to another planet must let the host planet know at least 72 hours in advance.
d- All orders or requests made by the home planet to visitors must be obeyed while on their planet.

II- Uninhabited planets
a- No nation may claim uninhabited planets as part of its territory.
b- All uninhabited planets are the shared international territory of the WA.
c- If just 1 macroscopic life form is on the planet it is considered habited.

III- Moons and stars
a- All moons are the territory of the planet of which it revolves around.
b- All stars are the shared territory of the planets that revolve around it.
c- No nation outside of said planet can land on or use the moon in any way with out permission from all the nations on said planet.
d- No nation outside of said solar system can use the star's energy with out permission from all nations in the solar system.

IV- Meteoroids and asteroids
a- The use of meteoroids or asteroids for any scientific or energy purpose is fair game.
b- Using them for weapons is strictly forbidden.

V- Items in space
a- All items in space is the property of the nation who launched it.
b- stealing space items is strictly forbidden.
c- Clause V a and b does not apply to nations that no longer exist.

VI- Sovereignty in space
a- No one is required to follow national laws in space.
b- No one can be prosecuted for any national crime committed in space.
c- VI a and b does not apply to laws passed by the WA.
Last edited by Keshiland on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:36 am, edited 9 times in total.
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:00 pm

*Matthew picks up the scrawny kid who represents Keshiland, opens a window and throws him out. There is then a splash in the oxbow lake that is Lake Security Council*

We won't be hearing from him for a while, Matthew says contentedly.
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Keshiland wrote:I- Interplanetary travel
a- No fleet larger than 100 persons may travel to one planet from their home planet at a time unless invited by the host planet.

"Why? What if there are lots of refugees from another planet that need a safe home?"
b- It is forbidden to interfere the course of any civilization from another planet.

"This would make most World Assembly legislation illegal."
c- All visitors to another planet must let the host planet know at least 3 days in advance.

"Hey Mars we're comin' just letting you know."
Mars: ...
d- All orders or requests made by the home planet to visitors must be obeyed.

"What if planets do not have one government but many all with conflicting messages?"
II- Uninhabited planets
a- No nation may claim uninhabited plants as part of its territory.

"This poses a serious damper on any nation seeking a new planet due to their last one's destruction."
b- All uninhabited planets are the shared international territory of the WA

"This disincentivizes space travel and exploration. As well, what does the WA need with space rocks?"
III- Moons and stars

"What if the moon is inhabited?"

"So they have to get each others permission before harvesting solar power? Yknow where light comes from right?"
c- No nation outside of said planet can land on or use the moon in any way with out permission from all the nations on said planet.

"What if they have to as an emergency measure?"
d- No nation outside of said solar system can use the star's energy with out permission from all nations in the solar system.

"What if their ships are solar powered and the only way for them to recharge is at the nearest star station?"
a- The use of meteoroids or asteroids for any scientific or energy purpose is fair game.

"What if the asteroids or meteors are inhabited? Are we allowed to kill all life on an asteroid?"

"I've tried this before, the WA doesn't like it."
V- Items in space

"What if its personal property not in ownership by the nation?"
b- stealing space items is strictly forbidden

"Good luck enforcing that!"
VI- Sovernty in space

"You mean 'sovereignty'?"

"Good going you just made space anarchy. Do you have any other bright ideas, laser-brain?"

"Hold on I'm going to go murder Jeffrey legally in space."
Jeffrey doubles back from the coffee machine, "What?"
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:14 pm

((OOC: dang, this makes me wish I had made my Space Empire nation because the dominant culture's entire shtick is interfering with other civilizations. They technologically uplift every sapient species on each planet they come across (Nationstates folks would be exempt because of logistics reasons but they'd still be pushy about it.) ))

"Wow, way to neuter every spacefaring nation in the WA," drawls Iksana. "A 100 person fleet is basically one spaceship for some of 'em, I reckon. And let me tell you, if a big giant space rock were bearing down on my planet, the kind that could wipe out all the life on it, I would be mighty pissed if someone were to not divert that rock on account of some legalistic garbage forbidding interference."
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Thyerata wrote:*Matthew picks up the scrawny kid who represents Keshiland, opens a window and throws him out. There is then a splash in the oxbow lake that is Lake Security Council*

"Angered, Sackeshi picks up the 500lb + tv and pins Matthew to the wall with it demanding that a fine the equivalent of 1b Keshicoins be paid for the assault. "If you don't the tv will be dropped on you" shouts Sackeshi
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:17 pm

"Opposed. The Lyrical government will stand with its own citizens as well as its brothers and sisters in the Belt, in Trojan settlements, on Luna, Phobos, Gannymeede, Kallisti, Enkelados, and all the other moons, on Hermes and Ares, and in all the stations and habitats and modular encampments across the heliosystem to ensure the sovereignty, self-determination, and freedom of movement of all people and polities. This ludicrous and frankly aggressively draconian lockdown on people and commerce will not stand."

OOC: Looks legal at first glance, but not a good or popular idea. See the "World Space Administration" fiasco for some reasons why.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Essu Beti wrote:((OOC: dang, this makes me wish I had made my Space Empire nation because the dominant culture's entire shtick is interfering with other civilizations. They technologically uplift every sapient species on each planet they come across (Nationstates folks would be exempt because of logistics reasons but they'd still be pushy about it.) ))

"Wow, way to neuter every spacefaring nation in the WA," drawls Iksana. "A 100 person fleet is basically one spaceship for some of 'em, I reckon. And let me tell you, if a big giant space rock were bearing down on my planet, the kind that could wipe out all the life on it, I would be mighty pissed if someone were to not divert that rock on account of some legalistic garbage forbidding interference."

"This helps you unless your wish is to get colonized by a space fairing nation" says Sackeshi

State count 135

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Thyerata wrote:*Matthew picks up the scrawny kid who represents Keshiland, opens a window and throws him out. There is then a splash in the oxbow lake that is Lake Security Council*

"Angered, Sackeshi picks up the 500lb + tv and pins Matthew to the wall with it demanding that a fine the equivalent of 1b Keshicoins be paid for the assault. "If you don't the tv will be dropped on you" shouts Sackeshi

Matthew replies: I threw you in the water. Logically you should be very cold, wet and unable to do much, or (even better), drowned.
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Lexicor
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lexicor » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:46 pm

What perchance is an uninhabited plant?
"The less one knows about the Civil War the more likely one is to think the North fought to free the slaves."
"As hours worked by an individual approaches zero, the probability of engagement in political activism approaches one."
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of the mention of inter-sectional group identities approaches one."

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Lexicor wrote:

What perchance is an uninhabited plant?

thank you for the correction fixed

State count 135

Tinfect Diplomatic Enclave
Attaché

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tinfect Diplomatic Enclave » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Keshiland wrote:Enactment clause- This only applies to WA nations

For once, the entire Imperial delegation is present, and in an equally rare measure, Seretis steps forward to begin the Imperial statement: "Of course it only affects Member-States, the World Assembly is only capable of such. In this particular instance however, you do little other than Cripple Member-States against Non-Members."

Keshiland wrote:a- No fleet larger than 100 persons may travel to one planet from their home planet at a time unless invited by the host planet.

Feren, however, quickly takes over the front, "A Fleet, Ambasssador, consists of Ships, not persons. Unless one's ships are persons, which unless your Government has suddenly developed both advanced space travel and advanced artificial intelligence, is somewhat unlikely. In any case, this would absolutely cripple Imperial operations. Civilian Transports often carry larger groups than that, in passengers alone, Imperial Military Vessels easily exceed a simple Hundred-Person limit in necessary crew, to say nothing of Naval Infantry, or other such positions.

As the Imperium has multiple planets within its jurisdiction, the requirement of receiving personal permission from Civil Oversight representatives for such thing as simple as civilian transportation, military movement, or, basic government activity, is entirely absurd. The Imperium must also note the difficulty in the definition of Home Planet; which may be taken to mean one's planet of birth, or the planet on which one's species originated. New Harron is both to many, and only one to most."

Keshiland wrote:b- It is forbidden to interfere the course of any civilization from another planet.

"Thus contact with foreign nations for advanced civilizations is absolutely prohibited, the Imperium would be unable to contact its allies, or those present here in the World Assembly, including yourself, which would perhaps be the "silver-lining", to appropriate a phrase, of this madness.

And, given that the Imperium maintains jurisdiction on several planets, this would effectively mandate the dissolution of the Imperial Government, and thus a direct attack against the Imperium. Should this legislation proceed, it would become the concern of the Imperial Military Oversight, rather than that of Diplomatic Oversight."

Keshiland wrote:a- No nation may claim uninhabited plants as part of its territory.

"This is a simply absurd requirement; the Imperium's territorial claims over planets which no other State has any reasonable claim to are not the concern of the World Assembly."

Keshiland wrote:b- All uninhabited planets are the shared international territory of the WA

"This is a direct threat against the Imperium, another reason that this will be transferred solely to Military Oversight if diplomatic intervention is unsuccessful."

Keshiland wrote:b- All stars are the shared territory of the planets that revolve around it.

"Ambassador, a Star is a massive body of gasses undergoing nuclear fusion, I do not know what you intend to accomplish with this."

Keshiland wrote:d- No nation outside of said solar system can use the star's energy with out permission from all nations in the solar system.

"I am not entirely certain exactly what you intend to do with this? You seem to be only prohibiting Solar Panels."

Keshiland wrote:a- The use of meteoroids or asteroids for any scientific or energy purpose is fair game.

"That is absolutely inappropriate language for Legislation."

Keshiland wrote:b- Using them for weapons is strictly forbidden.

Rahlen cuts in at this, "And not a good idea besides, not worth moving that much mass for an inevitably low velocity and no payload."

Keshiland wrote:a- All items in space is the property of the nation who launched it.

Feren quickly returns to the forefront."This is also inappropriate language." And is quickly displaced by Rahlen again,

Keshiland wrote:a- No one is required to follow national laws in space.

"The Imperium will enforce its laws within its jurisdiction, and our Citizens are not exempt from Imperial Law at any time, regardless of location or presence within the Imperial Territories."

Keshiland wrote:b- No one can be prosecuted for any national crime committed in space.

"And why is Murder not Murder in orbit, Ambassador? Why does it suddenly become acceptable to publicly broadcast restricted information the moment one exists the atmosphere? Criminal acts do not magically become okay when done elsewhere, Ambassador, that simply isn't how reality works."

With that, Seretis steps forward to close out the statement. "I do not believe we need to state that the Imperium will not be supporting this draft, nor any further variation upon it. We will also categorically refuse to support any legislation originating from Keshiland, effective immediately."
Obvious puppet of Tinfect.
Official holdings are a 1x1 atom space within orbit of New Harron, Imperial Interior Territories.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, Male
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, Male
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, Female

Imperium Central News Network: Fourth Fleet assets mobilized to Exterior Territories | Military Oversight opens full recruitment | Civil Oversight authorizes update of Internal Security Locust units |  Indomitable Bastard #283

Nation stats have no power here!

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Iksana nods appreciatively at the Bakhton ambassador. "I'll keep going since he'll be back. I got it all recording for him and I'm gonna send it right to his office. Ahem. Ambassador Sackeshi, you're making half-assed attempt at helping that does more harm than good. Here, I'll go more in-depth for you, though since I doubt you'll listen it'll be mostly just to hear myself speak. I'll try not to repeat other folks too much."

c- All visitors to another planet must let the host planet know at least 3 days in advance.

"Whose days? I grew up in a slum with practically no education and even I know that not all planets spin at the same rate and that some have days that last forever."

"It's called being tidally-locked," Inan whispers in his ear. "One side always faces the sun and the other always faces away."

"It's called being tidally-locked," Iksana says without missing a beat. "One side always night and one side always day. How would you count days for that?"

d- All orders or requests made by the home planet to visitors must be obeyed.

"Supposing the home planet says "give me all of your money and your spaceship and here, stick this mind-control chip in your ear because you are now a slave in our extensive salt mines?" Should that be obeyed too?"

II- Uninhabited planets

"How exactly do you think space societies form? By making their own planets out of hopes and dreams and fairy dust? No, they claim what is unclaimed and put it to use.'"

b- All uninhabited planets are the shared international territory of the WA

"You've just triggered a massive land grab the likes of which the world has never been seen. Congrats."

III- Moons and stars

"I have to agree with the Bahkton ambassador on this one. Supposing the moon is already inhabited? Why would you take a series of sovereign nations and make them a territory of someone else?"

"Why? Why do they need to be territory at all? It's not like you can colonize a sun."

"So, never, in other words. People argue, you realize. And 'the' moon? What if there are multiple moons?"

"Bahkton's covered this one. But again, I think the word 'never' applies here for the same reason as the previous, but even more so."

"What if there's a culture that puts significant value on a particular asteroid, but another one wants to vaporize it and analyze its contents?"

"But comets are fair game, apparently."

V- Items in space

"Even nations that no longer exist?"

"This directly contradicts your next clause. How can something be forbidden if no one is required to accept that it is forbidden?

VI- Sovereignty in space

"So it's perfectly acceptable to steal, murder, commit acts of violence and terror, and other atrocious things because they are being done in space? This is garbage talk."

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 pm

*Ambassador Ewing returns to the WA from his extended vacation*

*Ambassador Ewing walks to his desk, picks up the proposal, and reads it*

*Ambassador Ewing puts the proposal down, sighs, and leaves the room*

*Ambassador Ewing gets in his car and drives back to the airport...*
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

The Puddle Jumping Wads of Wrapper
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Puddle Jumping Wads of Wrapper » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:14 pm

ARI: Oh, hell no. If this proposal were already in place, our friends the Tollans would be extinct twice over, as they'd be unable to evacuate one world and re-establish themselves on another. Twice. And through no fault of their own. And clause III-d would needlessly prevent ships equipped with deuterium collectors from recharging in solar systems inhabited by primitive peoples, since they would be unable to interact with them under clause I-b. And the last clause, that's utter nonsense, our own deep space outposts are bound to Wrapperian law. Completely and utterly opposed.
The General Assembly Delegation of the Puddle Jumping Wads of Wrapper:
-- Wad Ari Alaz, Wrapperian Ambassador to the WA; Author, SCR#200, GAR #300, GAR#361.
-- Wad Ahume Orliss-Dorcke, Deputy Ambassador; two-time Intergalactic Karaoke League champion.
-- Wad Dawei DeGoah, Ambassador Emeritus; deceased.
THE GA POSTS FROM THIS NATION ARE IN-CHARACTER AND SHOULD NEVER BE TAKEN AS MODERATOR RULINGS.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:15 pm

"Whose days? I grew up in a slum with practically no education and even I know that not all planets spin at the same rate and that some have days that last forever."

"It's called being tidally-locked," Inan whispers in his ear. "One side always faces the sun and the other always faces away."

"It's called being tidally-locked," Iksana says without missing a beat. "One side always night and one side always day. How would you count days for that?"

good point I will change that to 72 hours

"Supposing the home planet says "give me all of your money and your spaceship and here, stick this mind-control chip in your ear because you are now a slave in our extensive salt mines?" Should that be obeyed too?"
It was their planet 1st and if its not illegal under the WA all is fair.

"How exactly do you think space societies form? By making their own planets out of hopes and dreams and fairy dust? No, they claim what is unclaimed and put it to use."

space is for exploration, not conquest!

"You've just triggered a massive land grab the likes of which the world has never been seen. Congrats."

Thank you much :)

"I have to agree with the Bahkton ambassador on this one. Supposing the moon is already inhabited? Why would you take a series of sovereign nations and make them a territory of someone else?"

Sucks for them, go find their planet of origin.

"Why? Why do they need to be territory at all? It's not like you can colonize a sun."

Because that is their energy source not yours.

"So, never, in other words. People argue, you realize. And 'the' moon? What if there are multiple moons?"

Then they get control over multiple moons

"Bahkton's covered this one. But again, I think the word 'never' applies here for the same reason as the previous, but even more so."

those who fail at diplomacy are not of my concern

"What if there's a culture that puts significant value on a particular asteroid, but another one wants to vaporize it and analyze its contents?

Said day for them. You know they can still use diplomacy.

"But comets are fair game, apparently."

Comments are either rock or ice so no not really.

"Even nations that no longer exist?"

No I will change that.

"This directly contradicts your next clause. How can something be forbidden if no one is required to accept that it is forbidden?

No it says NATIONAL law not INTERNATIONAL law

"So it's perfectly acceptable to steal, murder, commit acts of violence and terror, and other atrocious things because they are being done in space? This is garbage talk."

Yes because I am not going to go down a complicated path of national space laws.

State count 135

Hansdeltania
Diplomat

Founded: May 17, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hansdeltania » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:18 pm

So how do we define three days? What if one planet makes a rotation once every 24 hours but another does in 24 24-hour days?
400+ hours PP-ASEL, IRA, P28A, C172, DA40, high-performance

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Hansdeltania wrote:So how do we define three days? What if one planet makes a rotation once every 24 hours but another does in 24 24-hour days?

changed it to 72 hours

State count 135

Xuskeuclite
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Xuskeuclite » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:20 pm

CALLED IT ITS FUCKIN KESHILAND
Last edited by Xuskeuclite on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allied Sapients
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Sapients » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:48 pm

((OOC: finally made my space empire nation. Expect to see these guys around whenever something futuretech gets proposed.))

An extremely tall, nearly skeletal being taps a four-fingered hand against the wall exactly three times, leaving a waxy residue behind. "We are not part of your Assembly, but we still take interest in the happenings of non-allied sapients," says Lirn Jenht Olsh, brushing a hand down the wiry mane of her chest. "Why do you seek to hinder yourself? This is an unusual behavior for humanity, from what we have seen."
The Ambassador of the Confederacy of Allied Sapients is Lirn Jenht Olsh, who is definitely an alien of some sort.

A Tier 8, Type 8.5-ish civilization by this ranking. Has routine contact with a Tier 10, Type 7 civilization and may or may not be piggybacking on some of their tech.

Puppet of Essu Beti

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Keshiland wrote:[snip]

"You claim your proposal is beneficial, yet when it would very clearly be a detriment to people all you can say is "sucks to be them?" It's obvious you only wrote this to fuel your ego, not to actually improve the world. Ridiculous."

Projection Island
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Projection Island » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:58 pm

"I would like for this to be some sort of joke. I really, really would."

Keshiland wrote:Enactment clause- This only applies to WA nations
"Obviously, but considering the scope of what you're attempting to do, this basically makes the entire point of this proposal to stop any sort of space exploration by Assembly nations."

Keshiland wrote:I- Interplanetary travel
"This would seem to thoroughly destroy any major colonization attempts, considering the fact that planets aren't known to send invitations."

Keshiland wrote:b- It is forbidden to interfere the course of any civilization from another planet.
"Quite possibly the only reasonable mandate in this entire proposal. Except for that bit where it makes diplomacy between interplanetary powers completely non-existent."

Keshiland wrote:c- All visitors to another planet must let the host planet know at least 72 hours in advance.
"Again, planets are not particularly talkative, as a general rule. Also, is that seventy-two before landing? I would generally consider the alien invasion to have started by that point."

Keshiland wrote:d- All orders or requests made by the home planet to visitors must be obeyed.
"'Return to your home planet and destroy it.' Enough said. Not that, again, a giant floating rock would actually be capable of giving such an order."

Keshiland wrote:II- Uninhabited planets
a- No nation may claim uninhabited planets as part of its territory.
"I had a whole slew of sarcastic commentary related to that typo, but I failed to make it to the debate chamber in time to deliver it." She frowns slightly.

Keshiland wrote:b- All uninhabited planets are the shared international territory of the WA
"This is both a vast overreach and completely pointless. Congrats on combining the two. Somehow, I doubt that those nations outside the Assembly would quite appreciate having territories they may or may not have claimed pulled from them by legislation that 'does not apply to' them. Incidentally, there is no way this can even vaguely be said to not apply to non-Assembly nations, even with the disclaimer at the top."

"Also, the second someone lands on an uninhabited planet, it becomes inhabited. Which very much means that a nation may claim a planet at-will simply by setting foot there."

Keshiland wrote:III- Moons and stars
"By which nation of that planet? Also, even if the moon was inhabited first?"

Keshiland wrote:b- All stars are the shared territory of the planets that revolve around it.
"'Territory' implies you can actually live there. The correct word would be property."

Keshiland wrote:c- No nation outside of said planet can land on or use the moon in any way with out permission from all the nations on said planet.
"...Wait, you fixed that problem I was discussing earlier, just for the purpose of this one set of clauses. Also, as a previous ambassador pointed out, there is such a thing as an 'emergency', which you fail to account for in any way. Which, considering given planet is very, very likely to have multiple nations incapable of giving said permission, could be a slight issue."

Keshiland wrote:d- No nation outside of said solar system can use the star's energy with out permission from all nations in the solar system.
"Congrats, you've basically outlawed solar power in any inhabited star system."

Keshiland wrote:IV- Meteoroids and asteroids
"'I want to see what happens when this hits an inhabited planet' is a scientific purpose and it can easily be argued that they are not being used for weapons. They are either being used as weapons or, more simply, simply being used for science."

Keshiland wrote:[b]V- Items in space
"Define: 'items'. Everything in space is an 'item'. And, strictly speaking, most of them were launched eons ago by something that wasn't a nation."

Keshiland wrote:b- stealing space items is strictly forbidden
"At least this patches the loophole regarding inhabited planets."

Keshiland wrote:c- Clause V does not apply to nations that no longer exist
"Wait, so that bit of clause five that says that clause five doesn't apply to non-existent nations doesn't apply to them?"

Keshiland wrote:VI- Sovereignty in space
"Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the primary way that Assembly resolutions affect national inhabitants through their impact on national laws? In which case, would this not basically be stating that this entire proposal is pointless because the no Assembly nation can stop anyone from ignoring it entirely?"

"This aside," says the advanced robot from the artificial island, "this proposal is so heavily science fiction that it seems widely inapplicable. And also gives me a headache. Perhaps you may wish to instead legislate in such a way that it could be applied to both terrestrial and space-faring nations?"

"And yes, I see the ambassadors over there preparing to tell me to drop the 'fiction' portion. I'm just pretending not to."
Last edited by Projection Island on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:13 pm

"This is both a vast overreach and completely pointless. Congrats on combining the two. Somehow, I doubt that those nations outside the Assembly would quite appreciate having territories they may or may not have claimed pulled from them by legislation that 'does not apply to' them. Incidentally, there is no way this can even vaguely be said to not apply to non-Assembly nations, even with the disclaimer at the top."

"Also, the second someone lands on an uninhabited planet, it becomes inhabited. Which very much means that a nation may claim a planet at-will simply by setting foot there."

If there is no one on that planet then how can they claim it LOL. All they would need is 1 life form to be on the planet for it to be theirs.
Last edited by Keshiland on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

State count 135

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Keshiland wrote:

If there is no one on that planet then how can they claim it LOL. All they would need is 1 life form to be on the planet for it to be theirs.

"That's said nowhere in the text."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Bakhton wrote:
Keshiland wrote:If there is no one on that planet then how can they claim it LOL. All they would need is 1 life form to be on the planet for it to be theirs.

"That's said nowhere in the text."

It says UNINHABITED!

State count 135

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:21 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Bakhton wrote:"That's said nowhere in the text."

It says UNINHABITED!

"Uninhabited usually means without people."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record