NATION

PASSWORD

(DRAFT) Public Workers on Strike!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Benjamin Mark
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

(DRAFT) Public Workers on Strike!

Postby Benjamin Mark » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:36 pm

NAME: Public Workers on Strike!

Description: A paramedic union couldn't reach a deal with their company causing @@CAPITAL@@'s medical services to go without first responders. Your advisers and the union president all have their say in the matter.

Validity: Must have unions

1. “@@LEADER@@, we toil in and out and we deserve a fair pay!” says @@RANDOMNAME@@ the union president of the paramedic union. “We don't care we are needed and the people deserve paramedics who are happy and healthy”
(effect) people are being denied healthcare because there is no ambulances to take them to the hospital

2. “We have the right to have a safe and healthy community for all.” says @RANDOMNAME@@ a city councilmember of @CAPITAL@@. “We should have all unions that deal with public safety have a no-strike clause that protects the people of @@NAME@@ being left in the lurch when it comes time to renegotiate their contracts"
(effect) public workers cannot strike but can still bargain for better wages.
Last edited by Benjamin Mark on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

A Humanist Prognostication
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Prognostication » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Options 1 and 3 make this basically just a recap of #016 -- "yes unions!" vs. "no unions!"

I think a more interesting addition to the collection of union issues would be a debate over no-strike clauses. Generally speaking, a no-strike prohibits a union from going out during the normal duration of a particular contract. Also, typically no-strike is respected during subsequent renegotiation, but only so long as the management bargains in good faith -- but this might depend on the requirements of the local jurisdiction (hint, hint).

But generally, the idea of no-strike is that strikes should be weapons of last resort to ensure good faith bargaining. Because, contrary to what you might hear from some, many public employees like nurses, teachers, first responders (and, incidentally, myself) do not actually subscribe to the point of view that the citizens can eat sh*t and die. But nor are we generally interested in being door mats either. It's a happy medium thing (which is conspicuously missing from option 1's language)

Issues addressing agency/"fair share" shops or wildcats might be interesting too.
Last edited by A Humanist Prognostication on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The whole world is just made of people who didn't kill themselves today. That's who's here. It's all of us who went 'ok, fuck it, I'll keep doing it.' -- Louis C.K.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:07 am

Hello and welcome to Got Issues! It's always nice to see a new writter!

Not bad for a first draft

I'm gonna be direct and to the point here, which is a reflection of my personality, not your work:

Your options are too short, and the topic has been done
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Prognostication » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:23 am

Australian Republic wrote:Your options are too short, and the topic has been done

A follow-up to #016, concerning what kind of contracts are allowed (e.g. no-strike), or what kind of bargaining units are allowed (e.g. open/closed/agency shops), or what kinds of strike actions are allowed (e.g. wildcats) is an isue area remaining underdeveloped.

There's at least several new issues here.
The whole world is just made of people who didn't kill themselves today. That's who's here. It's all of us who went 'ok, fuck it, I'll keep doing it.' -- Louis C.K.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Prognostication » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 am

Oh, and an issue about dual unionism (whether a worker can be a member of more than one union and/or whether more than one union can legally represent the same shop) would be interesting too.
Last edited by A Humanist Prognostication on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Got Issues?