NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Opposition at the End of Their Rope

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

[SUBMITTED] Opposition at the End of Their Rope

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:05 am

[title] Opposition at the End of Their Rope
[desc] Doris Verevka, a former Opposition leader in Parliament, was found dead hanging from a @@ANIMAL@@wood tree in @@CAPITAL@@ Park. The day before, Verevka demanded that your government step down, urging @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to riot heavily until you were out of power. As such, many believe that your government was behind Verevka's death.
[validity] only oppressive regimes that have some political freedom

[option] "Well, that Verevka was always high-strung," jokes @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Press Secretary. "You'll have to release a public statement. Say that you're deeply saddened by this very unfortunate incident, that you hope to bring the dastardly perpetrators of this heinous crime to justice, the standard song and dance. And of course, deny any involvement. But since everyone thinks you did it anyway, you might as well use it to your advantage. Drop subtle hints here and there indicating that anyone who opposes you will meet the same fate as our dear friend."
[effect] bodies hang like fruit from @@NAME@@'s trees

[option] "Don't rope us into that mess," growls your Defense Minister, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We know who the real culprit is: Blackacre! They killed Verevka in order to foment tensions in our populace, I know they did. They want to trigger waves of protests to destabilize us and cause internal conflict in @@NAME@@. Let's give Blackacre a taste of its own medicine. My soldiers can dispatch more than a few government detractors there. Let's see how Blackacre deals with civil unrest."
[effect] the nation's rivals have an easier time now that their domestic opposition is gone

[option] "Hang on, @@LEADER@@, don't take drastic actions," implores @@RANDOMNAME@@, owner of the largest funeral parlor in @@NAME@@. "Doris Verevka was admired by a large portion of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@. Simply honoring her will appease them and erase suspicions that the government was behind her demise. Since Verevka was a former Opposition leader, hold a state funeral for her. Pomp and ceremony will distract the masses, and a national day of mourning will make everyone forget that you disliked her. I will take of everything, of course."
[effect] the nation holds funerals for anyone who opposes the government

[option] "Stop constricting our freedoms!" yells a protestor as he emerges out of a trash can in your office. "Doris Verevka was a hero who died fighting for the rights of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ everywhere! You will not choke us into submission. Give the people of @@NAME@@ the rights we deserve. Give us unlimited voting access, an unrestricted freedom of the press, and the ability to riot whenever we want, just like Verevka wanted!" The protester knocks over your trash can to make his indignation clear.
[effect] rioting has become a political right

Inspired by the assassination of Boris Nemtsov in Russia.

[title] Opposition at the End of Their Rope
[desc] Doris Verevka, a former Opposition leader in Parliament, was found dead hanging from a @@ANIMAL@@wood tree in @@CAPITAL@@ Park. The day before, Verevka demanded that your government step down, urging @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to protest heavily until you were out of power. As such, many believe that your government is behind Verevka's death.
[validity] only oppressive regimes that have some political freedom

[option] "Well, that Verevka was always high-strung," jokes @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Press Secretary. "You'll have to release a public statement. Say that you're deeply saddened by this very unfortunate incident, that you hope to bring the dastardly perpetrators of this heinous crime to justice, the standard song and dance. And of course, deny any involvement. But since everyone thinks you did it anyway, you might as well use it to your advantage. Drop subtle hints here and there indicating that anyone who opposes you will meet the same fate as our dear friend."
[effect] bodies hang like fruit from @@NAME@@'s trees

[option] "Don't rope us into that mess," growls your Defense Minister, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We know who the real culprit is: Blackacre! They killed Verevka in order to foment tensions in our populace, I know they did. They want to trigger waves of protests to destabilize us and cause internal conflict in @@NAME@@. Our people have less faith in us as a result of this meddling. Give Blackacre a taste of its own medicine. My soldiers can dispatch more than a few government detractors there. Let's see how Blackacre deals with civil unrest."
[effect] the nation's rivals have an easier time now that their domestic opposition is gone

[option] "Hang on, @@LEADER@@, don't take drastic actions," implores @@RANDOMNAME@@, owner of the largest funeral parlor in @@NAME@@. "Doris Verevka was admired by a large portion of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@. Simply honoring her will appease them and erase suspicions that the government was behind her demise. Since Verevka was a former Opposition leader, hold a state funeral for her. Pomp and ceremony will distract the masses, and a national day of mourning will make everyone forget that you disliked her. I will take of everything, of course."
[effect] the nation holds funerals for anyone who opposes the government

[option] "Stop constricting our freedoms!" yells a protestor as he emerges out of a trash can in your office. "Doris Verevka was a hero who died fighting for the rights of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ everywhere! And her death will not stop us from continuing the fight. There are many more of us who oppose you, @@LEADER@@, and we won't back down until the people of @@NAME@@ are free. Give me liberty or give me death!" Your security guards stuff the protestor back into the rubbish bin and carry him out of your office.
[effect] activists in @@NAME@@ commit suicide to trigger change
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Intelligentia Equitas et Libertatum
Secretary

Founded: Jul 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Intelligentia Equitas et Libertatum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:33 am

I'm not entirely sure what exactly you are actually telling people to do in the last option, maybe make it clearer a sense to what you are actually choosing when you choose that? Are you choosing to grant the protester's request and giving him liberty? Then why does it have the effect it does? It's possible I just missed something but I'd suggest you make that clearer.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:17 am

Intelligentia Equitas et Libertatum wrote:I'm not entirely sure what exactly you are actually telling people to do in the last option, maybe make it clearer a sense to what you are actually choosing when you choose that? Are you choosing to grant the protester's request and giving him liberty? Then why does it have the effect it does? It's possible I just missed something but I'd suggest you make that clearer.

Thank you for your suggestions. The draft has been edited accordingly.

I've also made Option 2 shorter by getting rid of redundant parts.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:31 am

This is a good, well written issue, but there's currently another issue being actively edited that is almost on the same topic. Unfortunately, I think it'll be hard to take this anywhere.

Really enjoying your work though, please keep drafting.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Got Issues?